Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Guaranteed to be right twice a day.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Today I learned that my Blu-ray copy of Take Shelter has tripled in value.

Also, here's some UV codes. Please post if you take one so others know not to bother:

Deadpool 1: TAKEN

The Raid 2: TAKEN

mother!: 7FRPE79JN6XM

Grabbed mother!, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

I Before E posted:

Princess Bride is such a weird inclusion, as if there wasn't already a well-put together deluxe Blu-ray release with a glut of features

Looks to be a new transfer with new interviews.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I don't mind Criterion's recent trend of putting some crowd pleaser type poo poo in the collection because ultimately people buying that poo poo pays for them to do more interesting and vital releases. I mean I still think that Princess Bride is a pretty unnecessary addition, but whatever.

How do you feel about RoboCop being in the collection?

Correct answer: The commentary track is great.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

friendo55 posted:

Has anyone else picked up the Gravity Falls boxset from Shout Factory? I still can't believe Disney handed it off like that.

Having only watched a few episodes of season 1 (think of a kid-friendly Twin Peaks and well-written), I've always waited for a complete set like this. I got in the mail a couple days ago and can't wait to dive into it.

It's a top of the line package. You're in for a real treat.

Also, hot drat, hope that Big Lebowski is a new remaster. I don't own it because I've heard bad things about the Blu Ray.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

or W, A, or R

What does that spell?

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn’t there a commentary for Spinal Tap with all the cast in character?

Yup. There's also about three hours of deleted scenes on the Criterion DVD.

I think there might be more than one commentary in character because due to some hosed up contracts the actors have to produce work as Spinal Tap to maintain ownership of the characters.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Some codes for anyone who wants them. Please reply if you grab any of these.

Batman v Superman
wb.com/redeemdigital - TWM6T7X7BFX4

Alien Covenant
FoxRedeem.com - 4VVSW2ES2YFXYMS7

Blade Runner 2049
wb.com/redeemdigital - Q7MTFJQYCTFM

Once Upon A Time In America (people were just talking about this lol)
FoxRedeem.com - 4N7V4KFPFR23RBS4

Warcraft
UPHE.com/Redeem - JJEREKMAJ64J

Grabbed Batman V Superman and Warcraft, thanks!

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

I, Butthole posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that, but ignoring the effects it had on cinema/censorship is where it gets dicey. I own it, I own Salo, I own Chinatown - all abominable movies in different ways, but also essential in a historical context.

Can't learn from mistakes if you can't seem 'em.

E: I mean, at the very least, it's a great yardstick because if you ever see someone cheering on Birth of a Nation they're probably a Nazi and ok to punch in the face

I think it's wrong to call Salò abominable as it used the disturbing imagery to rail against fascism - it wasn't brutality for its own sake but a deliberate choice designed to make the audience directly confront the horror.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Just got an email from Filmstruck/WB with a code for five movies on movies anywhere:

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD • CASABLANCA • KING KONG • SINGIN' IN THE RAIN • A STAR IS BORN (1954)

Seems like they're sending them to former subscribers.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

While I have the Blus for the first four, that's a really nice offer. I'm curious to whether they're 4K since except for Robin Hood they were full 4K restorations.

Unfortunately they're only HD but it's still a pleasant surprise.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Thanks for posting about the Samuel Fuller box, Egbert. I ordered it pretty much immediately, I love his films that I've seen.

Any other Indicator must buys from their back catalogue?

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Ordered the Seijun Suzuki vol. 2 box. This thread is going to make me get a multiregion player.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

CPL593H posted:

What is it like being a millionaire?

I imagine it's like this.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Lol, I bought the entire DC universe to torture myself over Christmas.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

ultraviolence123 posted:

More digital codes

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Grabbed this, thank you!

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

FancyMike posted:

This is good, I like the commitment to efficiency. It's probably worth it though to give up just a little more space for how much more convenient it is to page through a nice binder.

4/10, no Last Year at Marienbad

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Most people don't care how they get their bazingas, just as long as they're there.

Again, it's Bazin, and I'm not going to be happy until the entire French new Wave is on Blu Ray.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Is the set going to be UHD-only or do you think it’ll also include Blu-ray Discs of all that? Just trying to decide if it’s worth “upgrading” despite not having a 4K TV or player yet.

One 4K disc, 3 Blu-ray discs.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

ruddiger posted:

holy poo poo, as soon as I get home, I'm cracking open my copy of Lone Wolf and Cub.

I can't get my spine to sit flat on that but it's worth it.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber has a sale going on until the 16th:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/junesale19

Surprisingly, it's their mainline stuff rather than Studio Classics. Lots of silents, arthouse, and international cinema.

Also, Masters of Cinema will be re-releasing its triple-feature Buster Keaton set in August. I'm guessing in plain packaging (like Man with a Movie Camera), but a good alternative to the almost bare-bones US Cohen discs. Hopefully they have more volumes on the way.

I'd really appreciate if you didn't post stuff like this because now that Fritz Lang boxset, La Chinoise, Battleship Potemkin and La Gai Savior are all being shipped to my house.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

So, just pulled the trigger on a laserdisc player. Found a 90s Sony model in beautiful condition - seller even had the original A/V cords and remote, plus it can play both sides. After watching some Techmoan videos, I'm confident that if there's any issues, I'll be able to fix them.

I've actually picked up a decent amount of used laserdiscs for cheap - all of these for $5 or under.

Citizen Kane (Criterion CLV/3rd edition)
The Magnificent Ambersons (Criterion/CAV first edition)
The Rules of the Game (Criterion/CAV)
Black Narcissus (Criterion)
The Silence of the Lambs (Criterion)
Touch of Evil (sealed!)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (MGM/UA l"roadshow" and letter-box edition)
Kafka

Might do a video on these.

How long until you pick up Criterion's Bond releases?

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

That's the season where they hit their stride, sounds like a good find to me

They're being reprinted sans Michael Jackson episode, the prices briefly shot up when the news came out.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

House rules. I’m thinking of grabbing it this go around. This is the sale directly through Criterion, right? Or is it Barnes and Noble?

Barnes and Noble.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Egbert, please tell me you're going to post the shot where he comes over the dunes.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Liar Lyre posted:

Arrow is also half off at Barnes and Noble, plus I’m pretty sure you can use other coupons with them.

Thanks for the tip, got the Godard and Gorin box for $45.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Timby posted:

The World's End is the best of the Cornetto trilogy, and I will fight any challenger who approaches.

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Hot Fuzz.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

CPL593H posted:

The early Criterion blu-rays were in digipacks. Eventally they sold replacement plastic boxes complete with cover art for those because people are whiners.

They were different from the modern digipacks though, which are much better designed. The original ones were slipcovers with a cardboard inside and are a pain in the rear end to deal with. I have Bottle Rocket and Last Year at Marienbad in those covers and if they still had the replacement program, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

The Beatles really aren't even that good.

Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Can't believe you monsters aren't saving the UPCs.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I have a very specific problem that keeps me from universally loving Wages of Fear that I'd rather not even vaguely describe if you're going into it fresh, but it is otherwise a fantastic thriller that had me on the edge of my seat throughout and is one I would recommend.

Well now I'm curious. I've seen it, could you spoiler the problem?

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

There's no way that guy enjoys movies. He might have convinced himself he does to justify all that crap.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Alec Eiffel posted:

MOVIES ANYWHERE CODES UP FOR GRABS

The Dark Knight Rises - GTCV7KYM922K

Inception - KPHP9WKXNAWN

Grabbed The Dark Knight Rises, thanks.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Liar Lyre posted:

Thanks for the heads up. There’s no way I’m gonna miss Vampires Kiss.

Edit: Nevermind, it’s already gone. It’s probably already $100 on eBay by now.

Check Amazon.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Try Etsy.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Disney's repertory rules suck when it comes to programming where there's no way around a Disney film. A local theater has been showing David Lynch's entire filmography and for The Straight Story, which is Disney owned, they had to book a screening room at a camera rental store because they couldn't show it for a single night at the theater.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

I got to see what I think was the unrated US cut in theaters earlier this year and it was magical.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

I saw Martin in theaters earlier this year and I'm excited. It's a good movie!

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

wa27 posted:

That reminds me, I need to get around to selling my US Space Ghost Vol 4+5 before they re-release a full set and the value plummets. Or maybe they never will. Are studios just afraid of putting SD content on blu-rays because it's confusing?

I believe you're not allowed to release a Blu where the main feature is SD.

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

How where they able to do one for Doctor Who Season 23, though? That entire season was shot on video.

It's 1080i upconverted, according to blu-ray.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Jan 31, 2013

I have the Community set from Mill Creek and while I'm confident that 30 Rock will look good because NBC has high quality masters, the Community discs have an ad for Mill Creek printed on the disc.