Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I’ve been thinking about getting a region-free 4K player. Any recommendations? (It looks like not having a bunch of bundled features I don’t want is a potential bonus. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That's useful information. Most of the Blu-rays I would actually want aren't 4K, though, so I'd want one that can play region-free Blu-ray discs. Any recommendations?

(I guess it kind of depends on whether 4K winds up replacing Blu-ray? I'm just not sure how many new formats we can go through before people get tired of it.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

david_a posted:

It will not replace normal Blu-Rays. I wouldn’t be surprised if DVD outsells both BR and UHD combined.

Hm, you think so? It seems like it's easier to get a 4K TV these days than one that isn't, but I'm not sure how that translates into disc sales.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Here's a horror story for format enthusiasts.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I will never forget the first time I watched Clue in HD and realised that at that level of detail you can see Madeleine Kahn's freckles under the makeup that was just pale white in the DVD.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It looks like the giant, limited-edition complete series of Adventure Time is still going to be DVD-only, which crushes my hopes of seeing Blu-rays for Steven Universe any time soon.

Why does Cartoon Network not want my money?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If the Madman releases are region-free, I might just buy them then.

(I'm also told that a large number of poorer households still use DVD and haven't upgraded, so I'm not surprised it still exists.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

codyclarke posted:

Is there something wrong with me that the thing I adore most about Blu-Rays over DVDs is the coating they put on the bottom side of the disc that makes them near impossible to scratch

Oh, is that why they're like that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

How many people here do use binders as opposed to disc cases?

Me, I am all about the binders. Right now I have four large binders of DVDs, and I wound up dividing my Blurays into cases for anime, not-anime, and a small one for the MCU (largely because it was easier to keep them in order that way).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would definitely buy Dark and Stormy Night on Bluray.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I went in yesterday and bought it. Oh, and hey, it turns out "with digital copy" now means you get something decent on a streaming service and not some terrible thing they made themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Apparently there was a Kickstarter for a BD of Dark and Stormy Night and I missed it.