Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I just finished watching Irma Vep, my latest blind buy, and I’m not sure I’ll enjoy a film more all year. What the gently caress was *that*?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Egbert Souse posted:

What are some good UHD player models? I have until October when 2001 arrives, but I've been completely holding off new releases in anticipation of going directly to 4K.

I’ve got the LG UP970, which I bought in a combo with 3 UHD discs for ~$200. It’s a region-locked player (so you’ll need to keep a Region B machine around), but it’s one of the few reasonably-priced machines that did Dolby Vision. No problems so far - everything’s very quick to load, and the films themselves look great.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Indicator set to release Altman’s California Split, probably in January.
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/california-split-1974

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Cloks posted:

Any other Indicator must buys from their back catalogue?

In addition to everything Egbert suggested above, you should really check out their recent release of Night of the Demon. It’s arguably the most comprehensive release of a single film on Blu-Ray. Four cuts of the movie, an 80-page book, and near-countless hours of extras.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I’m skeptical about a Kurosawa set, or any big set apart from Kiarostami. Part of the reason Criterion could release the Bergman box, I assume, is that Svensk Filmindustri had already restored most of the film’s in the few years prior. No such restoration project exists for Kurosawa, to my knowledge, and I think that’s why the first set was DVD-only.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

There was at least one Genesis concert (I think “The Way We Walk”?) that let you switch between dedicated cameras for each band member.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

For the Hannibal release, specifically:

Kino Insider on Blu-ray.com forum posted:

We had to change our replicators from Sony to Technicolor, Sony is no longer in the replication business. Technicolor packages titles all the titles with O-card and slipcases in Mexico (delay number 1). We had to setup a new AACS account, since this was our first 4K release (delay number 2). Authoring and replication took longer than we expected (delay number 3).

It should be delivered to everyone a week to ten days after street date. Maybe sooner.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Alec Eiffel posted:

Alphabetize this list for me:

I :love: Huckabees

I Am Legend

I'll Be Seeing You

Ichi the Killer

Ice Cube Collection

At work (public library) we would shelve them like so:

I Am Legend

I Heart Huckabees

Ice Cube Collection

Ichi the Killer

I’ll Be Seeing You

Spaces count as their own letter, sort of.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I say this with all due respect, and with the caveat that Ishtar is one of my favorite films:

I can’t imagine proudly displaying this much middlebrow dogshit.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

The Italian 4K release has no HDR, which should put the Synapse head-and-shoulders above it. I’m excited.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Timby posted:

Brick is like 15 years old, how can it need a restoration?

The previous master was likely done for early DVD, so it may not even have been restored in 2K. Just makes sense to go back to the original elements (which have likely deteriorated a little bit in 15 years) and make a new master.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Egbert Souse posted:

Film Movement has a 50% off sale on their Classics line:
https://filmmovement.com/classics-sale

Thanks! I’m marathoning Fritz Lang’s stuff right now, and I had to jump on the Indian Epic for that price.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

ringu0 posted:

Do Tarkovsky next, please. Pretty please. Please with a little birdie on top.

Ain’t gonna happen. The only unreleased (in North America) Tarkovsky they have the rights to is The Mirror. A box set with five of his seven features doesn’t make any sense.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

TheScott2K posted:

Are you loving kidding me

Yes, I assume. (They’re releasing the Cronenberg one.)

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

As I’m sure has been mentioned in this thread, the real advantage of 4K isn’t the resolution (since a lot of films are finished at 2K anyway), but the larger color depth. HDR is a revelation.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Shiroc posted:

The Godzilla box set is an extremely good, must have if you like Godzilla movies but it isn't deep on supplements or anything. Even the essays start to get an endearing "look, the crew did the best they could" once you get into the later, lower budget ones.

Absolutely. Arrow’s Gamera set blows the Godzilla one out of the water. (This isn’t exactly Criterion’s fault — Toho is way stricter about their licensing requirements than just about any company you can name.)

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, it wasn't a particularly impressive lineup anyway. If you gave me a 20 film Hammer set that actually had some heavy hitters like Horror of Dracula, The Devil Rides Out, Hound of the Baskervilles, Plague of the Zombies, Quatermass and the Pit, etc. then I'd pay almost any price but this one is pretty much all second tier stuff. Which is par for the course with Hammer, the rights situation is all over the place.

These are the Damned is essential, and Scream of Fear is excellent fun. I’m not quite as sold on their monster stuff, but those two alone are worth the price of admission. (Or the cancelled one, at least.)

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

The Back to the Future trilogy in 4K is an indulgence, but one I feel totally comfortable making. Those original Blu-Rays were DNRd to hell. And HDR on Part III is just beautiful. I don’t think I need every 4K catalog release, but things like this and Suspiria? Absolutely.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Almost Blue posted:

If it's gonna be their last sale does anybody have recs on what to pick up?

Warner Archive is a huge, huge line of films. Lots of musicals from MGM’s early days that I consider essential. Really, you could just scroll through their “Musicals” section and that alone would last you years. Lots of old Hollywood melodramas with Kay Francis, if you’re into those. And then more recent fare like Joe vs. the Volcano, which everyone should own.

It really depends on what you’re into.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I’ve been bellyaching about this for months — as far as I’m concerned, what Wong Kar-Wai has done here is pretty unjustifiable. And I’m sure Criterion’s hands are tied, but for them to present these as “restorations” is just flat-out untrue. The aspect ratio for an entire film has been digitally altered! Not even a case of reframing an open-matte print; WKW just squished it down to look like CinemaScope.

His supposed philosophical justification is even worse: they’re simultaneously his original visions AND fresh new looks because “no man steps in the same river twice.”

Honestly, glad I’ve never connected with his work, because as someone who cares a lot about film archive practices I can’t imagine how much more upset I’d be if I did.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Everyone always forgets about Second Run. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Vagabundo posted:

Eureka should be higher, Arrow (and by extension their affiliated labels like Third Window) and Second Sight not being there is a significant omission, Criterion should be S-Tier, and any company that doesn't branch out beyond one region coding (or at least offer region coding free discs) does not deserve to be considered S-Tier. Yeah, that's right, Shout and Kino Lorber, I'm calling you out.

Your last point is not really a fair part of this imaginary rubric — most labels CAN’T offer multiple-region discs because of the terms under which they license their releases. Indicator offered all their Sony films region-free until recently, because Sony saw their sales numbers and went “huh...we could release a lot of these ourselves in America, and we can’t have a competitor that’s going to outshine us.” In not so many words.

Second Run can do this, because their licensors (the Czech Film Archive, Pedro Costa, etc.) don’t care about region coding. Kino can’t, because they license from Paramount, MGM, etc.