Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Blockbuster putting hosed up adult animated films in the kids section because "cartoons are kids stuff, right?" is a universal thing. That's how I first saw Watership Down as a kid.

Also, who came up with this cover?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Seriously how did Watership Down get made

Yeah, it was a different time. Martin Rosen haven't exactly been busy since that one and The Plague Dogs (which has now been postponed quite a bit - was supposed to come out in February originally). Apparently he worked on a Watership Down TV series which I've never seen.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Oh for gently caress's sake! Of course Christopher Nolan thinks that 2001 should have the same colour scheme as Dunkirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1JIkK7-fUI

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Heck, I don't know what he's doing, but I'm pretty sure that the green colour scheme is a modern phenomenon. You see it every-bloody-where these days. I know that we always hear that "it's what the director intended" (and in the case of Dunkirk I'm sure that's true; me, I found it pretty awful), but until I see a note in Kubrick's handwriting that says "The movie should be green", I'm going to assume that it's very wrong.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

That trailer doesn't reflect anything at all. Whoever put it together just took the existing 2K transfer and fiddled with the color - that's it. This has infected the internet and is going to gently caress up Warner's 4K release because nobody wants to do actual research.

"Whoever"? That's Warner's own trailer.

And it's not going to gently caress up anything, because apart from nerds like me, no one gives a poo poo about this pervasive green (occasionally yellow) that has infected modern colour timing.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

AkaiNami posted:

Is there some kind of starting point when the green tint influenced the modern cinematography?

The Matrix is probably a good bet. One that really caught my eye was the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring on blu-ray. I mean, green snow - what the hell?

But as much as I whine about it, I have to admit that the problem is often fairly easy to fix on my projector as all I have to do is crank up the white balance. Here's an illustration - right is Ran on BD (e: the new remastered one, that is) with the default colour and left is white balance set to about 8500:

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Almost Blue posted:

For some reason when the DP was contacted about the transfer he requested that the movie's look be totally overhauled. It was changed to be dark blue/green and murky, essentially day for nighting the whole movie. I can't find any really good comparisons online but here's an example:

Caps-a-holic is your friend: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=7864&d2=7865&s1=74909&s2=74921&i=0&l=0

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

On eBay, I've seen 35mm prints of the Russian War and Peace that are clearly 1.37:1, despite the entire epic being shot on 65mm 2.20:1.

Speaking of which, they were supposed to screen part 1 of the new restoration at Cannes - has anyone heard anything about it, what it looked like?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Mosfilm uploaded all of it to YouTube and just from a quick look, it looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SAh4jdssA

:aaa: :) Now we just need that blu-ray ASAP!

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Also a reminder that besides being a great film-maker, Verhoeven's a great addition to any commentary track, especially paired with Arnie.

Oh no, not Arnold. I find him insufferable. It's all: "Here you see me rhading a horse!" "Here you see me shooting a ghan!" "Here you see me being stronk!" It's fun for about five minutes.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

You guys are nuts!

But I want to make it clear that it's only his commentary tracks I don't like. Obviously Commando is the greatest movie ever made.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

A lot of them are Region A + B since they did simultaneous US and UK releases.

Here's the ones I can find so far:

Also, Ermanno Olmi's The Legend of the Holy Drinker which EVERYBODY SHOULD BUY RIGHT NOW! Seriously, you've probably never heard of this film, but if you have a bit of patience and don't mind slow movies, you really shouldn't miss out on this.
Sample scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VS-8hnvbXw

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

trdn89 posted:

THIS NEWS OWNS SO MUCH. Satantango is loving amazing and I will move heaven and earth for the chance to see it in an actual theater.

I still haven't forgiven myself for missing a showing at the Danish Film Institute where they served goulash 2/3 of the way through. :(

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

JebanyPedal posted:

Any idea if Mad Max: Fury Road is upscaled or not?

Definitely upscaled. Check out Caps-a-holic's comparison.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is that some HDR-to-SDR tonemapping thing?

I would think so. In this case we should only their caps to compare detail levels.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Wow, Shout's Platoon "remaster" looks like they just ran the old one through a DNR filter: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=12366&d2=12367&s1=122623&s2=122635&i=10&l=0
I mean, who needs stuff to have texture?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Sure, it's no Predator.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

On the fence about Carrie and Dead Ringers.

Have you considered the German edition of Dead Ringers? I think it looks much better.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

You'd be surprised how off people can have the settings.

How many people here have paid an ISF certified professional to calibrate their sets? I'm guessing none.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

I calibrate using the color bars on the Chasing Amy DVD

Pfff, I calibrate using my Casablanca VHS.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

You're assuming that the average consumer gives a poo poo how their movies look.

Also remember that while most people these days probably have 50" screens, they will happily sit all the way across the room from those screens; and at, say, 15 feet from a 50", it really doesn't matter if you watch a DVD or a Blu-ray.

I'm often baffled by the distance people sit from their screens. Like, check out the sweet set-up this guy has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmtSNyt6V4
Yet he sits - what? At least 12 feet from that 65". I realise that sitting close to a TV isn't as nice as sitting close to a projector screen, but he could at the very least move the couch a few feet forward.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Code for Big Lebowski at universalanytime.com

U4CHCM**Q75*FS*8

* is the letter that comes after s (I guess this is to prevent scripts from grabbing these?)

I don't know if the streaming version is the new restoration or the old crappy version that is on the blu-ray.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I've never watched the extended version of Aliens but it's basically another case of "they threw in some deleted scenes and called it a director's cut".

I'm pretty sure that Cameron has stated that the "special edition" (ie. the longer version) was his original cut, but the studio asked him to trim the runtime. I think the added scenes are generally very good, but the movie is not as tightly paced as the theatrical.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Liar Lyre posted:

What about the opposite then? What are essential directors cuts? I know 4 that I hear frequently mentioned are Daredevil, Halloween 6, Brazil and Blade Runner.

Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven is much, much better in the extended version.

e: I guess I'm a bit slow.

---

Found a few caps from Eureka's new Once Upon a Time in China BD. Looking pretty drat good.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

this is mine. I have a problem.

Pfff!

And there's another bookcase and a half.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Some of those are probably doubles.

Very few. I just have a very broad taste. http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Aardvark-DK

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Does watching a movie in vr feel like you're looking up at a giant screen, or just holding your phone up to your face?

I would say it looks like a large screen, not giant. But the low resolution makes it utterly pointless.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also, yeah, Dawn 78 on UHD would probably loving kill.

Not if it looks like the one that is already out. https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=11199&d2=10880&s1=110053&s2=106336&i=3&l=0

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

So The Hicher has finally been released on BD! https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=12756&d2=12755&c=4996
Woooo!

... It costs 80. loving. Euros. :confuoot:

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Almost Blue posted:

Kino just announced Ridley Scott's Hannibal for blu-ray and UHD, which makes it their first title to be released on UHD.

I assume this is a new scan / remaster. All the old editions look like various degrees of garbage. This movie deserves much better; I think it's an under-rated bit of grand guignol.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

I've never actually sat through Hannibal. Is it any good or is it just edgy try hard poo poo?

I practically hated it the first time I saw it - partly because I viewed it as a sequel to Lambs. But, like Sir Kodiak says, if you can ignore Lambs, Hannibal works well on its own. It's a very, very different kind of film.

Now I love it and find it more enjoyable than Lambs. Mind you, I'd read and loved Lambs before I saw the film, and both Starling and Lecter looked totally different in my mind, so I found Foster and Hopkins to be completely miscast - especially Hopkins. I think Lambs is a decent film, but for me it can never live up to the book.

On the other hand, I find Hopkins' over the top acting suits Hannibal much better - and I never cared much for the book anyway.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Also, alphanumeric of the same title goes chronologically, so The Thing (82) and The Thing (11) is correct.

The correct thing is of course not owning the latter Thing.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I don't find that to be the case at least with what I have and even with this TV the difference between blu-ray and DVD is quite noticeable. There's also not a world of difference between 720p and 1080p if the TV is smaller than 50 inches and mine is 42.

Yeah, I had a 720p 42" for many years and for that size the resolution is fine. In fact, there were blind tests back then (this would be around 2007) where people would prefer the 720 over full HD TVs, because stuff like black levels and contrast is much more important than resolution. There's a reason why the original 720p Pioneer Kuro won tons of awards.

I recently visited a friend who just purchased a 4K QLED TV, and I was not the least impressed. HDR just looks unnatural because the TV has to crank up the dynamic contrast, and the extra resolution was pointless at the distance we were sitting from the TV. I think my six year old 1080 plasma delivers are much nicer image.

PS. If you're a fan of Big Lebowski you should get the UHD of that one. It's a massive improvement over the lovely old BD - at any resolution.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see a Last of the Mohicans UHD for that reason, because the existing blu ray doesn't quite handle the nighttime scenes the way I'd like and like 50% of the movie takes place at night with all kinds of interesting shadows playing off the actors faces.

That has nothing to do with limitations of BD though. The Last of the Mohicans looks pretty bad on BD because someone involved in the grading process decided to turn the brightness way down, which means that night scenes suffer from massive black crush and scenes that take place in bright sunlight look like they were shot on overcast days.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=696626

Looks like a little over 10 extra minutes? I'm not sure about the theatrical release but I don't think the director's cut has ever had a US (or UK for that matter?) home release.

If the US edition looks like the UK edition, then they also have a very different colour scheme from the Korean edition.

UK: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thirst-Blu-ray/8195/#Screenshots
Kor: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Thirst-Blu-ray/11398/#Screenshots

edit: DOH! Your link shows that too.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 20, 2019

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Is it anything that enhances the movie or was otherwise cut because of studio interference or is this one of the UNRATED EDITION!!!!! type things where they just tacked some deleted scenes on to sell more DVDs?

I'm pretty sure that the longer version is the original film, as released in Korea, and then they trimmed it for international release. But it doesn't radically change the film. I prefer the original colour scheme though.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

*sigh* Ritrovata strikes again with yet another green film with lovely black levels: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews21/the_nun_blu-ray.htm

Either the person doing the colour grading is half blind or s/he's working on a monitor that's completely out of whack. It's utterly bizarre. And it's such a shame because it ruins their otherwise fine restoration work.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

:dance: Though I'm not sure I will ever dare re-watch Nobody Knows - I can't take that much crying. (On my own part, not crying in the film. I'm also hesitating to re-watch Grave of the Fireflies.)

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

The Hannibal UHD is, unsurprisingly, a massive improvement over the old BD (which was garbage). https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=13133&d2=13132&s1=131085&s2=131069&i=0&l=0

I hated the film the first time I saw it, but I have since come to love it as a piece of absurd grand guignol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

Do these UHDs that sport 4K remasters also use those same remasters on the included Blu-Ray, or do they simply just pack in the previously released original releases?

Another example: The Big Lebowski UHD comes with the lovely old DNRed BD.