Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I only buy physical copies of films I really like. I don't have many of them, and I don't plan on getting rid of them either.

I haven't looked in awhile, but I do have the BluRay Alien Anthology and LOTR Extended sets when thinking about it. I'd imagine they're going to be worth something in 20 years. I once had the Star Wars OT (pre Special Edition) on VHS, got rid of it in the late 90s, and have been shooting myself in the foot for it ever since.

I don't think physical media for movies will ever going away completely. I think the digital codes they put in the box for streaming versions has slowed down physical media's decline considerably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

Probably not, they were produced in seriously high numbers and in multiple versions. The only media that's ever worth stuff is the stuff that had to go out of print way before demand, or super limited. It's the same as Beatles LPs - people think they're going to be worth serious money, but they were the most successful band on the planet and a ridiculous numbers of their albums were pressed. Find an oddity, and you've got some money.

I had 80s Star Wars VHS tapes I sold about 2 years ago, just from my collection not because I thought they were worth anything. They got more than your average tape, but nothing too exciting. Don't kick yourself over it. The only tapes I see going for serious money is unusual horror stuff, because horror VHS people are batshit insane.

The BluRay Alien Anthology Collectors version (greenish cover) has been out of print since before Prometheus, and I seriously doubt BluRays will be sold at all in 2040. There will definitely be a niche collector's market for all kinds of BluRays by then I'm sure.

And those Star Wars VHS tapes can go for a fuckload if you find the right buyer. Star Wars fandom for that kind of stuff is insane.