Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Wait, what happened with Fuller? I haven't kept up with TV in the past few years besides Twin Peaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
If any of you are into steelbooks, Shout Factory's Army of Darkness is at $20 pre-order now, which is cheaper than I've seen the regular edition:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT8SHGZ/

Also, their The Fog steelbook is $12.61:

https://www.amazon.com/Fog-Limited-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B0711CP878/

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Almost Blue posted:

If any of you are into steelbooks, Shout Factory's Army of Darkness is at $20 pre-order now, which is cheaper than I've seen the regular edition:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT8SHGZ/

Also, their The Fog steelbook is $12.61:

https://www.amazon.com/Fog-Limited-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B0711CP878/
Shout Factory's steelbooks for The Howling & Lifeforce are now under $20:

Lifeforce
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTBQ7JG/

Howling
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT7FN3S/

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 30, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Origami Dali posted:

All this color correction talk reminded me of the original TT release of NOTLD '90. Man, what a fuckup.

Was that ever re-released with the original color timing?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

ultraviolence123 posted:

I bought this one from Umbrella Entertainment, and it looks a million times better than the Twilight Time disc

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Living...ng+dead+blu+ray

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Iron Crowned posted:

What did they do?

For some reason when the DP was contacted about the transfer he requested that the movie's look be totally overhauled. It was changed to be dark blue/green and murky, essentially day for nighting the whole movie. I can't find any really good comparisons online but here's an example:

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 5, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

I asked in GenChat a while back, but maybe this is a better place: has modern color-grading been used to overhaul any older films? Not basic color correction or bringing it more in line with the director/DP's vision, but going all-out with digital grading to give the film a new/modern look?

I'm really curious to see what classic films would look like given modern color grading tastes. It's probably sacrilege, though, the Ted Turner colorization of modern times. But I also think that those colorizations are a really cool curiosity—after you've watched the film in the format the director originally intended.

I'd say the aforementioned Night of the Living Dead is an example. If this video is accurate Jurassic Park was futzed with in some scenes. Arguably, Blade Runner Final Cut. I heard the Lord of the Rings movies were made more green, but I haven't seen it on blu ray.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Hell yeah, Detour. Kinda surprised Criterion hadn't already released it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I love how the interviewer didn't ask "How the hell did come about?" but instead went with the least interesting question possible, which Tarantino took in a really strange direction.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Does anybody know if Barnes and Noble loses money on their Criterion/Arrow sales? Or is the bulk cost cheap enough that it's still somewhat profitable? I've always wondered how they're able to do them year after year.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Timby posted:

So I asked my friend about this, and he pulled data on this for me. During the Criterion / Arrow sales, the margins are pretty much razor-thin, like retail price being maybe a buck or two more above store cost. B&N does it to get people in the store and hopefully buy magazines (which are stupidly high-margin), or again get interested in nerd toys or Nook tablets.

Wow, thanks for checking! That seems like a pretty bad strategy, as I'm sure that like 90% of people who are interested in Criterion won't consider buying toys or whatever. If I get anything from the sale, I usually buy it from their website anyway, as they have much better selection.

codyclarke posted:

With 10% off Member Discount (+ a 20% off coupon sometimes) is it then a loss?

I'm almost certain that it is. There was a blu-ray forum I was on a few years back where people were pissed when B&N stopped allowing for most of their coupons to stack with the Criterion sale. Before that happened, I ended up getting the Tati set for around $40.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Are there any blu-rays where the movies have the old red-blue 3D instead of RealD?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I'm gonna be on the complete other side of this and say that The Mangler is fantastic. Features a wonderfully campy performance from Robert Englund.

On the scale of Hooper's movies, I'd actually place it just below stuff like The Funhouse. The central metaphor of the movies is Sam Fuller's levels of blunt. And it's hilarious.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Spatulater bro! posted:

Sold. I think?

It's also a plot point that a refrigerator is possessed.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

codyclarke posted:

Is the Criterion release Breakfast Club blu-ray the same transfer as the 30th anniversary blu-ray? And if it isn't, is it noticeable enough an improvement that it'd be worth paying the Criterion price and not the $5.99 that the 30th anniversary goes for? I'm not interested in bonus features, just want to watch the movie.

It's the same transfer but Criterion has a slightly better encoding. You can see the (marginal) difference at Caps-a-holic: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11241&d2=9287&c=3754

If you don't care about special features, you're better off just going with the 30th anniversary version.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is anything after II worth watching? I love the original, but I was extremely apathetic about II.

Every Phantasm movie is good, but II is the least good.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

DC Murderverse posted:

I think I've picked out everything I want but I have one question for anyone who might know:

does the collectors edition of The Thing have a better enough transfer to warrant buying a new copy? I have the old bluray that I got when I was working at Blockbuster, and I saw that this release was from a different transfer with some color changes, but I want to know before I drop $20 on a movie I already own if it's worth it or if I should pick out something else. (I ran into the same issue with Dawn of the Dead, but it doesn't look like there's any appreciable difference between the old and new BR so I didn't bother)

Their release of The Thing is an improvement to me (you can see the grain much better on Shout Factory's, I think Universal's has slight DNR), but I'd suggest checking caps-a-holic or DVDbeaver to see how you feel about the differences first. I've heard some people complain their remaster looks too blue/green, but I think it looks pretty good.

e: Actually, it looks like Shout has another 4k remaster of it coming out in a few weeks, so you might want to wait for that instead.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Doesn't that set also straight up contain 3 copies of some of the movies?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah I think there are at least 3 copies of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. The set's just a bundled repacking of the individual sets.

I looked it up and apparently it also has three copies of House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula. It was probably cheaper to just put existing stock in a different package, but you'd also think it would cheaper to not give customers three copies of the exact same disc.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Whenever I've done Black Friday shopping I've bought random movies I wouldn't otherwise get such as Woochi: The Demon Slayer.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are there many examples of directors cuts making the film worse? Donnie Darko and the Warriors are the only two that come to mind.

The longer version of Cinema Paradiso was considered to be worse when it came out in the early 2000s. Although that's a weird case where the US distributor cut down the movie and the re-release added them back in addition to more scenes. Apocalypse Now Redux is usually considered worse, as is the version of Close Encounters where you see the inside of the ship. Also, the cut of ET where he's CG and the 2000 cut of the Exorcist.

I'm not sure if there's a consensus on it or not, but I think the Donner cut of Superman 2 is a significantly worse movie than the original.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Shout Factory just announced a Bela Lugosi/Boris Karloff box set:

https://twitter.com/Scream_Factory/status/1083418614462439424

No special features announced yet.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The one nice thing about the VHS cover versions is they're putting out a few that never had releases outside of sets or were previously only available on BD-R.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Anybody know if Song to Song on blu-ray is out of print? I can't find new copies of it for sale, only used from second-run stores. Same goes for Knight of Cups.

Did another label snap them up? (Criterion maybe?)

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like all of Broad Green Pictures' releases are OOP and their last release was in Feb 2018.

That's a shame. I looked into it a little and it seems that their entire company is shutting down due to low box-office returns on the films they financed.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Kino is having a flash sale on high-stock blu-rays/dvds through February 10th:

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/february-2019-sale

So if you want It's Pat on blu-ray for cheap, here's your chance.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Kino just announced Ridley Scott's Hannibal for blu-ray and UHD, which makes it their first title to be released on UHD.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Second Civil War also used to be up on Amazon Prime if you had a subscription, but it looks like it's off now. You can still rent it there and iTunes though and it is in HD on both. But I do wish somebody would it out on blu-ray, since it deserves a good home video release.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is legit good

I'm not super into Bond movies, but that one is far and away my favorite out of what I've seen.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
It's kind of wild that it took so long for movies to stop being released cropped (or uncropped in some cases) in order to fit 4:3 TVs only for that to come back a few years later for 16:9 TVs.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

CPL593H posted:

Is Texas Chainsaw Massacre going out of print? The prices appear to have gone up a little.

I'm pretty sure it's still in print. I checked a few price tracking sites & the price for it seems to usually fluctuate between $15-50 throughout any given year for some reason.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I think they're limiting the sale to only people who are members to prevent scalpers/limit traffic? They sent an email out about it a while back and I think that was the gist of it.

e: Oh, maybe not.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
And it's John Waters's favorite Christmas movie, which tell you everything you need to know about how good it is.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That blu-ray also has an audio commentary with John Waters and the director, it owns.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I seem to remember a couple of cast members from Shock Treatment talking about how Arrow never paid them for working on the special features too.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/BudweiserUK/status/1134491737920065536

holy poo poo

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The weird thing about the adding the Jabba scene back in the original movie is that dialog was taken from it (as in the same exact audio clip) for Greedo's scene and nothing was altered about that, so you just hear the same dialog play in two different scenes.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Are there any Region-A friendly releases from Arrow that are worth checking out? I was planning on picking up Kill Baby Kill and Pulse from them.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Hey goons, my roommate is moving out at the end of the month and I'll be without a blu-ray player. Is there a good cheap-ish (like say ~$150 give or take) region-free blu-ray player that you guys would recommend?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

I got mine off of 220 Electronics and have been very happy with it and their service.

Thanks so much! Just ordered one. Also if anybody else is in a similar boat, they currently have coupon listed on their front page for 7% off blu-ray players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That's a shame. While some of their older releases on loan from studios have found their way to other labels, I doubt the majority of their Fox titles are going to get any kind of re-release (because of Disney), which is really too bad.