Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

King Vidiot posted:

I think Spookies would make a great double feature with Phantasm. Two movies with inexplicable dream logic, but for entirely different reasons, and I think they'd complement each other well. I'll leave it up to you which movie you should watch first.

Or Spookies and House II. Not House, just House II.

I'd also nominate THINGS as a double feature for either of those. It feels a bit like a Canadian Evil Dead made by people suffering in the aftermath of head trauma, but the surreal disjointedness is funny and unsettling. It'd also go fine with a Polonia Bros movie, or any number of other SOV flicks.

edit: Come to think of it, what's a good double feature with HAUSU? PHANTASM? GODZILLA V HEDORAH? Mescaline?

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Gripweed posted:

I emailed Mill Creek about it. Has anyone had any luck getting replacement discs from them?

Yeah - I had a bad disc in a 12 DVD/50 movie collection (quality is exactly as awful as you imagine, but it was still fun), I emailed them about it, and they had a replacement to me in like two days. They’re pretty swell.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Heavy Metal posted:

Just a bit devil's advocate (Pacino style), that blu-ray is great. I don't see the slight open matte as a bad thing, and this is the first I've heard of it being too warm. Usually it's the other way around and things are too cold. I think sometimes something is more of a side grade stylistically, but it's gotta be framed as a big positive to hype the new release.

Gotta agree. I've been tickled pink by that Blu-ray set, and while I appreciate the nuance of the new image, I'm not clamoring to buy it all over again. Which is kinda rare for me.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

CPL593H posted:

People already said the ones I was going to say so my pick is Jaws: The Revenge.

“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

- Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge, which is genuinely hilarious on a so bad it’s good level

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I'm guessing Malignant is good by the reactions

It’s divisive. People who like it, love it, and people who don’t tend to skew more strongly negative than usual. I give it about two stars outta five. But it would look quite nice in UHD.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Is Olive Films still active? Their webpage hasn’t been updated since 2020 from the look of things… I always had a soft spot for them.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

I’m excited about this, but aren’t there significant problems with DOG SOLDIERS’ source elements? There was a review over on blu-ray.com that turned into a deep dive on the subject and it sounds like a big mess.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

I’m still on the region-free vanilla Blu-ray slow coach - don’t want to buy a new TV. What’s new and interesting in genre cinema for us 1080p troglodytes?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Iron Crowned posted:

My dude, have you heard the good word of Vinegar Syndrome yet?

Lord, yes. I don’t remember how many of their films I’ve got, but off the top of my head Uninvited, Petey Wheatstraw, and Disco Godfather are in my collection.

Edit: Also Tammy and the T-Rex, hallowed be its name.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 13, 2022

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think why people talk about VCRs is that the earliest use for videotape was recording TV broadcasts.

That was a big split between the videodisc and videotape wars. Laserdisc offered better picture and sound them VHS/Beta, but you couldn't record.

VHS/Beta had good enough video and sound that it didn't matter to most people.

Laserdisc was also the first real showcase for quality home theater audio - it supported digital audio before any other medium, including Dolby Digital surround, and the spec topped out at multichannel 1.5 Mbit DTS HD. That wasn’t lossless, but at a point when fuzzy stereo audio coming out of a CRT was standard, it was a different experience altogether. The video was an incremental improvement, on par with the later S-VHS, but Laserdisc was plural orders of magnitude more likely to have widescreen transfers. Overall it was a really interesting experiment and the first home video format for film connoisseurs. But as you said, VHS was so flexible and ubiquitous (and so much cheaper) that it was always going to win on sheer numbers. That DVD - and the roughly simultaneous emergence of TiVos and set top boxes - toppled VHS so quickly took a lot of people by surprise.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Gripweed posted:

If the xbox 360 had been able to play HD-DVDs, that would've beaten bluray in the American market. There would've been a weird split where America was all in on HD-DVDs and Japan was all in on blurays. Everyone in this thread would have a big HD-DVD collection and import the nicer Japanese bluray releases of favorite movies.

I had an HD-DVD USB drive from an Xbox 360 for a while, and even ripped a handful of discs I snagged super cheap. Between the 30GB max capacity’s effect on bitrate and the format leaning hard into VC-1, it wasn’t competitive from a quality standpoint. The better format won.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Steen71 posted:

I think there was no region coding.

Yep. Somebody mentioned the picture-in-picture feature and fancy menus being easier to implement on HD-DVD too. Beyond that they were fundamentally similar but had different corporate backing, different default preferred codec support (HD-DVD/VC-1, Blu-ray/AVC), and 15GB/30GB storage capacity on HD-DVD for single/dual layer versus 25GB/50GB for Blu. The better overall spec won by din of storage capacity alone.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Boywhiz88 posted:

Avatar, baby. We had to keep a copy at our Geek Squad Precinct to upgrade/test players for folks.

You reminded me - our first Blu-ray player came with a voucher for a free 3D copy of “the greatest movie of all time - AVATAR” (their words). Oh, Panasonic. The laughs we shared.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw Avatar in the theater one time, I have never felt the need to watch it again.

I did notice that there was some special edition that came out around 2019, that had like 5 different cuts on it. I never figured that Avatar was good enough that anyone would clamor for a box set of 5 different cuts.

Avatar stands out as one of the only big budget buzz movies where I sat down in my living room to watch it for the first time and spent the entire runtime MST3K-ing it, unprompted. It’s so deliberately derivative and stupid in that very careful big studio way that it just seemed natural to dunk on it. I’m not going to play pattycake with a movie because the director made me happy before.

And yes, the idea of five cuts of Avatar is like five cuts of a Marvel movie. What’s to be mined from it? It’s all surface.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

dorium posted:

the best thing that could happen with those Avatar sequels is he finally goes back to the real work of transferring all his better work to UHD (and fix Terminator 2 goddamit, that movie shouldnt look that lovely on UHD).

What’s up with the UHD? I thought the restored Blu looked gorgeous even if they didn’t bother with the original mono track (which bothers me maybe more than it should).

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

dorium posted:

it's DNR'd to hell and looks super smooth because of it. then he adjusted the color timing as well so got rid of that blue tint that was on the original theatrical version. the blu-ray looks good, but man I wish he would stop futzing with it like that.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-4K-Blu-ray/183927/#Review

Oh man. I misread your earlier post and thought we were talking about the original Terminator. Yeah, for a movie that makes it to every format imaginable (including D-VHS!) Terminator 2 is a fiasco. It was shot on a particularly finicky variant of Super35 that looks gorgeous in its original incarnation, complete with lovely grain and color fidelity, but you’d never know that from the way it’s made it to video. See also what Cameron did to Aliens, because in the pantheon of revisionist muckery that should have its very own wing dedicated to it.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 20, 2022

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

This all makes me want an accurate UHD version of The Deadly Spawn, because that was shot on a dozen different kinds of whatever 16mm film they could get their hands on. Done right that would be a patchwork quilt of visual texture.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

The lack of any consideration of the body horror angle put me off of it quickly. Seriously: a guy disabled for years doesn’t struggle in the slightest adapting to a giant new alien body, and I’m supposed to accept it credulously? I’m not asking for Cronenberg here, but come on.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

A while back an outfit called Filmcentrix handled Blue Sunshine in an exhaustive special edition, and then appear to have quietly abandoned plans for anything else. That disc is now going for hilarious amounts of money because :capitalism:, but does anyone know of plans by any other houses for that movie? Also for Zaat/The Blood Waters of Dr. Z, because I love that bizarre thing.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

worms butthole guy posted:

Does anyone here own the Ice Cream Man release Vinegar Syndrome released? Is it quality?

e; Also still waiting for VinSyn to ship my half way order :negative:

Shudder is using their transfer, and given the source material I can’t imagine it could reasonably be better than what they’ve accomplished. If you love that dumbassed movie, you’re in for a (frozen) treat.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Egbert Souse posted:

Re:Voir's Jonas Mekas/Diaries Notes and Sketches box set delivered yesterday.

Really interesting packaging. Outer box has this natural cardboard material to it with text embossed on the side and front. Little bit of text on the back. There's a paper band in color with more info, not as strong as an Arrow/Indicator band. Discs are in folded cardboard cards with a plastic hub. At first glace, looks like a disaster for the discs, but they hold well and don't just fall off. There's an actual strip of 16mm mounted to a card, two dozen postcards, and a booklet with notes.

Looks like all the discs are extremely high bitrate AVC encodes with DTS-HD MA 2.0 sound. Region free. Most are dual-layer except for one that's BD-25 (probably the disc of just shorter films that's only about two hours total). Would be something not out of place at a museum gift shop. Only thing you're missing from their earlier Walden/Lost Lost Lost double feature Blu-ray are the commentaries by Jonas Mekas.

Idle curiosity, does anyone bother with VC-1 or MPEG-2 in 2022? I don't remember the last time I picked up a disc with anything but AVC - maybe the Tim Burton collection I got for a song a while back, with Batman '89 (and its supplements) all in VC-1. And the standalone Sleepy Hollow in MPEG-2, come to think of it...

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Rageaholic posted:

One of us! One of us!

Yeah, for real - I keep a subset of my nicer-looking disc packages on a shelf, but the rest are bindered after I’ve inventoried them in a spreadsheet and ripped them to my media server for convenience.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Now that Criterion have released Multiple Maniacs, Female Trouble, Pink Flamingos, and Polyester, are they going to do Desperate Living too? I don't think that's ever had an HD release.

That would be a day one purchase for me. It’s one of his most deliriously inspired movies, and every time I see it I’m flummoxed that more people aren’t excited about it.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

MacheteZombie posted:

Deadly Spawn 4k!?!?

I KNOW! I’m as shocked as anyone, and will be stunned if it looks good.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

worms butthole guy posted:

What the gently caress is this movie

Watching Tammy and the t Rex,

Indelible. Unforgettable. The finest creation the director of Mac and Me and Mannequin 2: On the Move ever managed.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Sniep posted:

Mac and Me is like uncomfortably well done for how terrible it is. Like, you'd think the budget would have been gone early in and it just keeps hitting with too-legit-for-the-film special effects and dance sequences and poo poo.. idk. it's surprisingly watchable and i hate that about it

It was scored by Alan Silvestri, and Nick McLean, cinematographer for a dozen ‘80s comedies, shot it pretty well considering what’s happening onscreen. The most exasperating thing about Mac and Me is how much it looks and sounds like a real movie of the time despite it being awe-inspiringly cynical and stupid. That outta nowhere McDonald’s musical number is a moment for the ages.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Oof. What a time for me to be saving money. Enjoy, goons.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Chris James 2 posted:

This is definitely the best one

Head and shoulders above the rest, yeah. Watch as half of a horror-of-entrenched-power double feature with Hara-Kiri and… poo poo, now that think about it, that would be rough afterward.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Gripweed posted:

I saw that at Target the other day. I almost got it before I realized I was thinking of Footloose.

Footloose also had a horrendous dogshit transfer, if you’re looking for another bullet to dodge. Though from what I remember no catalog release out there was worse than The Color of Money

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

I’m still running a 1080p set I bought nearly a decade ago, and am still happy with Blu’s. A 4K upgrade is inevitable but there are a dozen things I need to put money toward before that’s going to happen, barring the TV suddenly dying, and I don’t fancy getting a 4K player when I have a region-free Blu-Ray player as it stands. It just isn’t a priority for me.

That said, I’m impressed Fright Night is getting such a great treatment. I felt like I lucked out snagging the Twilight Time release years ago - wonder what happened to bump its status in the years since. It’d still be nice to find its sequel anywhere…

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

I have an import Blu-ray of Katsuhiro Otomo’s Memories, which has (as far as I know) not gotten a stateside release outside of DVD. It’s gorgeous in HD but has a weird issue where CG-incorporating segments of Magnetic Rose look like they’re in SD, then quality goes back to staggering as soon as it cuts away. I don’t know that’s going on there. I also own a Blu-ray of the inimitable Polonia Bros.’ Bad Magic sourced from S-VHS, limited to around 200 copies or so. It remains one of my go-to discs for traumatizing people who want to see a bad movie.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Oh, cool. I guess I should have waited longer.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

gey muckle mowser posted:

hey folks, thought this thread might be interested - I am downsizing my movie collection by a fair amount (both because I've been less interested in collecting over the past year or two and also find myself with some unexpected costs) and have a bunch of stuff for sale in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4007669

I know like every label has had a sale recently but if anyone has any cash left over you'd be doing me a favor

Just poked my head over there and messaged you about two discs. Thanks - I hope whatever fate’s thrown your way passes soon enough.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Tesh posted:

Honestly, this is a fun way to do a release. Want to sell something like EVIL DEAD for the hundredth time? Slap some retro cover art on it and include a “degraded version” as a bonus.

This is one reason I bought from Code Red DVD for a while: there’s something very engaging about seeing a movie other people unmistakably have before you, and to be reminded that film’s a physical medium that degrades over time. Just preordered that White Zombie disc and looking immensely forward to it.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Homeybeef posted:

God drat it someone talk me out of this.

I've only seen the first 2 and kind of hated the second one, but I also own (and spent more money on) much worse movies.

The third Birdemic takes nearly an hour to get to the birds and a lot - a LOT - of it is brooding environmental doomerism. I think the director had one good idea he milked to death with awful execution the first time around, then was in on the joke that was himself the second time around and has now come back to do it all over again. It’s your money, do what you want, but $35 is kind of a lot for… that.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

PinkoBastard posted:

I own the horror and sci fi 50 packs and the prints are (mostly) bad but there’s something so fun about choosing one of them to watch, and the “2 or 3 movies per disc” format. it’s been a long time since I dug them out but I really have a lot of affection for those sets.

It’s also fun to select the Play All option and then let them run in the background when you’re working from home or folding laundry. There’s something deeply nostalgic for me about lo-fi movies as background, probably rooted in renting bad movies on VHS in high school and letting them play in my room as ambiance while I dicked around on a modem connection or chattered with friends on the phone. They look awful, by and large, because they’ve also squeezed the bitrate to cram so many movies onto the disc, but if you wanted HD, this wouldn’t be your jam anyway. Good stuff. And Mill Creek sent a replacement disc for a defective one in my pack in all of two days!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

EL BROMANCE posted:

If anyone asks about your copy of Bat Pussy, just watch it with them and they’ll soon learn never to ask about the movies on your shelf ever again.

I watched it once when a porn connoisseur former friend sent me a DVD rip, way before the Blu was announced. Seeing its two principals gently caress-grapple each other while engaged in the kind of sincere loathing I’d associate with a long, horrifically dysfunctional marriage was an experience, as was the slow-building tension of B.P. herself steadily advancing on them on a hippity-hop, but I can’t imagine revisiting it. Near the end, when the titular character says “gently caress this” and walks out, I can’t tell whether it’s the actress or the character speaking, and it’s probably both. Oh, to imagine Bat-Pussy Returns.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Egbert Souse posted:

It's 4K for DCP purposes, but I can't fathom a single reason why a UHD would make sense. Even expanded color space and HDR probably mean nothing for something shot on MiniDV. However, Blu-ray makes total sense between it allowing for a vastly better encode and the fact the new restoration is probably the best I've ever seen a MiniDV origin film look. They probably also acknowledge how unlikely the UHD would sell well despite it being Lynch

Given the limitations of INLAND’s source material, even with the Lynch-approved machine learning upsampling/reconstruction applied to bring detail into the MiniDV footage, I really don’t even know if I’m missing out on much with my European import Blu predating the restoration. Have there been comparisons posted online?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

Am I crazy for thinking Pixar re-rendered ToyStory to be in high definition?

Because they should do that for Wall-E

They did - the original Toy Story was rendered at a resolution somewhere in the neighborhood of 720p, which was staggering in 1995 but whose limits were thrown into stark relief on Blu-ray. There’s at least one really interesting write-up detailing their process, but the gist of it was that they had to take the original Toy Story data and projects and import them into a newer but still behind the curve version of RenderMan, then backported newer functionality to it and re-rendered the original scenes and assets on their current server farm. You can still see some jaggy aliasing at the edges of Rex’s scales, which are literally the limits of detail and precision in those source assets, but the improvement is huge.

WALL-E would probably be a less dramatic undertaking to make current. Thing is, I really don’t know how much extra detail would be extracted in each scene by taking the original assets and quadrupling the render resolution. Improvements would likely be marginal if they could be noticed at all, unless you were watching on a gently caress-off gigantic screen or theater. It would be like re-compositing all of THE LORD OF THE RINGS at 4K versus the upsampled 2K we have.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Orange Carlisle posted:

Has there ever been a reason given for why Toys (1992) isn't on blu ray? I mean outside of the poor box office numbers at the time of course. A 4k of that movie with HDR would look amazing. It's so colorful.

I think it’s just a case of Toys being a high profile failure the studio’s loath to spend any more money on. It’s strange… I could’ve sworn I heard about a special edition Blu-ray coming out somewhere a while back, but I may well have dreamed it.

edit: Toys stands out in my mind as one of two movies my parents walked out on when I was a kid - the other was What About Bob? Revisiting them years later I thought Toys was flawed but fascinating and worth my time, and I loving loved Bob?. Their taste was… straightforward, in hindsight.