Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

A good CRT to hook it up to, because Laserdisc looks like assssssss on a modern TV

People forget that Laserdisc is literally composite video (the yellow RCA jack). The advantage in picture quality at the time was relative to VHS, which degraded with use. As opposed to laserdisc, which degraded even without use. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Harmy's Despecialized Editions are the only worthwhile versions of the Star Wars original trilogy released in the past 20+ years.

That's true for Empire and Jedi, but the "silver screen edition" is a scan of a private collector's IB Technicolor print and is as perfect as you're going to get until Disney buys Fox.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Disney is releasing The Incredibles on UHD sometime this year.

I'm curious if pure CGI movies would get re-rendered out at a higher base resolution, upscale a DI, or scan a print.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I really want shout factory to figure the rights to the Wild Style soundtrack. Even Scratch had to hire Qbert to foley-scratch all the footage; fair use wasn't enough since the movie was made before anyone realized that getting rights to samples was a thing.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

Now that Disney owns both Star Wars and Fox, does that mean the odds of us getting quality home releases of the Star Wars movies are better? Or is it still a pipe dream?

When the deal closes and Fox has been digested, the only sticking point is how Disney wants to structure the extraction of money from wallets.

That said, Turner still has the TV rights to 4-6; Disney would have to find something to trade them before they own EVERYTHING but the home video stuff will all be under one roof.

Iron Crowned posted:

There are some other issues with "Original Release," Lucas never stopped loving with the damned movies, but most changes were a lot more subtle before the special edition releases in the 90's.

There are reference technicolor prints available, and Disney certainly would drop 10 million bucks to have a restoration team gin up the missing elements for a '77 cut.

If fans can do a passable restoration, Disney certainly can. The question is if they wait for a 9-episode box set and make it exclusive to that, make it streaming-only on Disney+, or do any other consumer-hostile junk like the Disney Vault.

xarph fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 14, 2018

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

trdn89 posted:

They should do a seamlessly branching collection with all the cuts so that people can watch them all.

The added disney-bonus to this approach is it would drive the makemkv users crazy.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder if seamless brancing exists in the VOD world, or if they just store however many versions needed as it's negligible to do so.

The latter, with each cut as a different digital SKU. The number of titles for which branching would be desirable is not worth the developer resources needed to implement it.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Continuing its reputation as a fine tech demo, Final Fantasy The Spirits Within's DVD had the best menus I've ever seen. Pick a thumbnail from the scene selection and it zooms in and picks up on that exact frame with no delay.

I still feel awkward when I went to see it in the theater and I was the only one who clapped at the end, because I was there to see their rendering technology and didn't really care about the movie itself.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Thank heavens criterion is doing The Great Escape. I was so hyped when they released it on Blu Ray only to find it looked suspiciously like a 1080p upscale from the ancient digital master they used to make the DVD.

What version of Highlander should I get? Are any of them different? There’s a new package every 5 years it seems.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Which of these boutique cult film publishers have rights to sony pictures classics/columbia tristar? I want to badger them into figuring out the rights and restoration for the 2000 rave trance flick "Groove."

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

dorium posted:

I’m a lost world apologist. Everyone has a favorite bad Steven Spielberg movie.

Was Lost World the one with the person laying on a slowly breaking windshield of jeep hanging from a cliff? Because that scene is a masterpiece of editing and sound design.

Rest of the movie, ehn. Might have been JP3, which is why I don’t remember which movie it was from.

In other news,
4K UHD with HDR and Atmos of Ghost in the Shell. Depending on the restoration quality it may be a new test disc for me.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

dorium posted:

I like it when the 4K disc comes with the blu-ray, 1. Because it’s kind of a legacy thing. Blu-rays did it while people transitioned from DVD and that was cool and 2. I only have one 4K setup in the apartment and the living room isn’t gunna be 4K compliant at least for another two years. So thats a BLu-ray only situation and it helps to have a copy of the movie in each format because of that.

I like combo packs. The blu ray is an install disc for my plex server to keep space somewhat under control, the UHD is for watching.
Same deal as the DVD to BD transition, except then it was XBMC.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Pluto TV is pretty much perfectly that

The pluto tv this old house channel is my "chill beats to study to"

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

FunkyAl posted:

How long til we have no pixels and just pools of vectorized color information

h.266 (draft) is leaning heavily on temporal reconstruction so we're getting there.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Island Nation posted:

I just acquired a LG CX which can decode Dolby Vision and Atmos (No DTS though)

Since the PS5 and XSX don't have Dolby licensing, what is the best UHD player on the market?

WTF I thought DTS was just as mandatory and prolific as Dolby Digital. Or is this not DTS audio?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

I just blind-bought the movie Coma for pretty cheap based solely on the :krad: trailer, how badly did I gently caress up?

https://youtu.be/9BHrWpvO_NY

Do you like The Andromeda Strain? Because it's very, very Andromeda Strain in pacing, directing and acting.

I liked it, but pre-Jurassic Park Michael Crichton is an acquired taste.

Edit: Wait, this is not the Coma I've seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OBAZRoAS64

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Do we know if this is a new transfer? https://twitter.com/PlumeriaPics/status/1395770364899348482?s=20

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I remember liking Crystal Skull in the context of "it's a brand new indiana jones movie that our whole family can go to see in the theater" and it felt right.

I haven't seen it since and I probably never will. But there's something about a whole theater of people seeing an Indy flick for the first time that no amount of home video tweaking can recapture.

Hell, people liked Phantom Menace for the first couple of months for that reason.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

codyclarke posted:

Does anyone know how 'DVD player only' discs work? What causes them to be spat back out by my laptop—is it something physical or an encoding on the disc itself? The discs feel a bit different than normal discs to me—sometimes thinner, sometimes thicker, but maybe i'm tripping. Anyway, can't find too much information on how they work, hopefully someone here knows.

I've never heard of such a thing besides those disposable discs that intentionally degraded after four hours, or the circuit city divx things that don't work anymore. Can you post a picture of one?

e: I did some googling and it looks like amazon print on demand discs have CSS encryption yet are burned onto custom DVD-R media. Most drives that can burn discs detect it as burnt rather than pressed media, and assume it doesn't have any encryption.

xarph fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 3, 2021

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

It's now a race between these bold lunatics shipping my copy and disney finding them.

Their site happily accepted a burner card from privacy.com. The invoice had a line item for "nevada sales tax" so we know where the lawyers are starting.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Turkish Star Wars bluray is real. It just came in the mail today.

Edit: BD-R, not pressed. Will post trip report when makemkv is done with it.

Edit2: The print they used is trashed, as expected. All the stolen music, vfx, etc are in there though.

xarph fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 8, 2021

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I periodically check in to see if Brainstorm ever got a 4k release and a) no, b) whoever made this cover needs be brought up on charges

For comparison the first home video release was this:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

I wouldn't even know where to start on how you'd do a sequel to UHF, considering that UHF stations went away with the digital conversion of television.

Twitch

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

If it were anyone other than david lynch I'd call them charlatans and frauds but a uniquely batshit pipeline is on brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

If you don't already have a drive, try to get one from the list at the bottom of this page. Those can be flashed to an alternate firmware to rip UHDs. https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18856