Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Katz’s death and the totem full of bodies are two of the most gruesome things I’ve ever seen on network tv.

You're forgetting the horse birth which was incredibly gruesome but S&P said it was ok as long as the dead woman's nipple wasn't shown as she came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ABcDwBVyXg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

zer0spunk posted:

I could see UHD becoming more popular in the next five years if broadband averages don't rise across america. You're already seeing cheap popular 4k sets, 1080p displays are actively harder to find, and most people still don't have the network connection to support streaming 4k bitrates even with all the compression. It could position itself to fill a large hole in the market left by people that can't rely on streaming, but then again the money is behind streaming services so most likely not.

Averages will be part of it, broadband providers putting caps will be the other part. I'd go so far as to say that broadband caps are a bigger limiting factor to the mass deployment of 4k content than much of anything else. I'm sure there's more than a few people w/4k sets and comcast who squeaked by barely for the month or even had to use a cheat month to get through October's new Netflix offerings and it's only gonna get worse.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Liar Lyre posted:

I do wonder how much of our perspective on physical media is skewed by being collectors. How many movies did people own back in the VHS or DVD days? I know I’m an outlier. I probably owned over 1,500 movies since Pinocchio in 93. I bet the average was only about 80.

The vhs days? Very few. Tapes cost a lot more than people think ($100ish a movie) or you had the wait an insanely long time for a movie to become cheap (a year plus after theatrical) because they were keeping the rental people happy ( I believe there we're pricing deals in place).

The DVD days? Quite a lot. One thing people forget about DVD is it exploded in popularity because it was inexpensive to buy your fave movie right after theatrical release. For under $30, you got a movie that was released in theaters around 6 months ago. It was an insanely paradigm shift and the start of the end of rentals because why rent a movie and deal with late fees when you can own the movie for a little more. Netflix and streaming was the end of rentals stores, but DVD pricing was a killing blow.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

One theoretical advantage to digital purchases which I'd love to see become standard (but I'm certainly not holding my breath) is how Google and Apple did a thing where they automatically upgraded all digitally purchased movies to 4K (if available). Of course, not having used those services myself, I have no idea how much freedom/portability they offer.

It's good and I wish everyone would follow through with it but it's also really kinda lovely.

If I buy a movie on like vudu or redeem a blu-ray code and have the movie populate w/movies anywhere, I don't get the upgrade (at least with google) because I didn't purchase from them. Also google has no path to upgrade so it's not even like I can re-buy the movie from them to get the upgrade. I like the idea but the practice needs work.

I haven't had downgrades but the like three movies I have that aren't upgraded are really annoying to see. I haven't tried contacting support to see if they can help yet so if someone has different results, I'd love to hear them.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Apple positioned themselves with a free year grace period by giving it away. I think their plan is to see if they can get some kind of buzzworthy show going before the end of that year so they don't just get an en mass cancelation.

I'm interested in where HBO Max goes since AT&T is leveraged to the hilt on this and even after their presentations, people seem to come back with more questions than answers.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

A couple years ago I started redeeming my digital codes from blu-rays. I had about a hundred of them. about 50% were "expired" and of that, 90% still redeemed. Of the remaining handful, I went through customer support and did the "I just bought this recently and the code is expired? wtf???" and I wanna say only one refused to give me a working code. This may have changed since ultraviolet shut down but that's my experience.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I had a friend who had the HD-DVD version of the Blade Runner briefcase and I think about that an unhealthy amount.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Splint Chesthair posted:

The thing I remember most about The Black Hole was having one of those book-and-record deals as a kid where the story was all about the bumbling robots. Then I tried watching the movie and kid-me was just befuddled that the robots were not the main characters.

When you cast Slim Pickens as a robot, you're gonna get exactly what you'd expect from casting Slim Pickens as a robot.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Spatulater bro! posted:

Nobody was run over. He even states in that post that no one was injured and it looks a lot worse than it actually was.

Not gonna trust Michael Bay, who's carelessness has cost the life of at least one stuntperson and injured countless others, saying "everything's fine" honestly.

https://twitter.com/CalvinStarnesOG/status/1364742901998084098?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Brexit the Frog posted:

some digital codes if anybody wants them—

Ghost in the Shell: CKN36Q0JQSCSPTP3

Hitchcock Classics Collection: USPS3Q4SDMT4VJ45
Been meaning to get GitS so thanks for that.