Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Just got back into buying blu-rays again after taking a few years off from it and it's amazing how cheap they are now compared to when I was collecting. My local pawn shop is selling blu-rays for $2 each and it wasn't just junk either. Insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

dorium posted:

what a pretty set.

that's a 12.9 inch ipad beneath it, so its a big one.

Are there any bonus features?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

During my weekly click around to see if Solid Metal Nightmares happened to be in stock anywhere, I noticed Amazon has it back up as a pre-order at $99.95 with a release of April 6. I was shocked to see this considering the obscene prices since it went OOS. Does anyone know details on this? Is there a difference from the original release? I couldn't find anything. Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YDB69LT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Kingtheninja posted:

Just saw an ad for a site called gruv? Never heard of it but they're running a 3 for 30 on a bunch of random 4k titles.

I’ve also bought titles from gruv and never had any issues. It’s legit.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Blades is so specifically my kind of stupid that it’s a must have

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Great news because ordering from Amazon is a crapshoot. I have the Supercop 4K preordered there and while the product page says the release date is tomorrow Jan 10, it’s “now arriving” at my house Feb 16. What?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Dragons Forever - worth the blind buy? I see it has three versions of the movie, is one preferred over the others for a first time watch?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

wyoming posted:

i preordered their White Zombie release after this thread made its way into my twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/GoldNinjaVideo/status/1611111695425982465

Honestly, this is a fun way to do a release. Want to sell something like EVIL DEAD for the hundredth time? Slap some retro cover art on it and include a “degraded version” as a bonus.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Gripweed posted:

I don't guarantee any of these are still valid, you know how it works

Took the Lionsgate one (Reservoir Dogs). Thanks!

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

I can vouch for OrbitDVD, I’ve never had an issue with them

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Fine, I bought White Zombie and Jackiesploitation from Gold Ninja Video. And Hitman Hart & GLOW from VS. I’ve gotta stay out of this thread.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

I also got the free shipping during Criterion’s flash sale at around $60 which surprised me

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Liar Lyre posted:

Blu-ray.com
A PS5 is fine for casual movie watching. If you want to all out for a perfect 4K experience, you’d want to go for a dedicated player. I don’t even have a dedicated player and just use an Xbox.

This surprised me - what’s the advantage of a dedicated 4K player? I would’ve thought the $500 PS5 and Xbox Series X would have all the bells and whistles one would need but is that not the case?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Any Kino sale recommendations (any format)? Thinking about picking up Silence of the Lambs 4K and maybe a couple of the Kubrick 4Ks but I’m curious what hidden gems are in their huge sale

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Here's all the editions available from Criterion...

2002 DVD - Original color timing (out of print)
2012 Blu-ray - Remastered, but original color timing (still in print)
2018 DVD - Quietly upgraded DVD using 2012 master in SD (still in print)
2021 Blu-ray - Part of World of Wong Kar Wai box set, reworked color and sound
2022 UHD - Same 4K master as 2021 box set disc, also includes Blu-ray identical to previous year's edition

The 2012 Blu-ray actually holds up quite well, even if one wonders what an untampered 4K remaster could have looked like in 4K...

Thank you for this info, I just watched IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE for the first time in the last couple of months and loved it. I was going to buy the director’s boxset but after reading about him putting the matrix filter on everything that’s a hard pass. I found a “like new” 2012 blu ray of IN THE MOOD for $16 so I pulled the trigger on that instead.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Does anyone have the previous VSL releases (Cat Creeps, Flesh and Fantasy, Curucu)? Are they worth the blind buy? I’m also eyeing Santo vs Doctor Death during the halfway to Black Friday sale.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

I also picked up the Szulkin boxset, never heard of the movies or the director but the trailer was fascinating. Most importantly I snagged Ninja in the Claws of the CIA, if it’s anywhere near as fun as New York Ninja I’ll be thrilled

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Boywhiz88 posted:

The KL sale hurts to miss. But I got other obligations and unexpected costs. Having fun owning a house… but too tired after projects to throw something on!

I feel this sentiment exactly but I couldn’t resist Misery 4K

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Gripweed posted:

You know how it works, I don't promise any of these arne't expired or already taken

There's a real good one in here.

Grabbed one and it was The Lighthouse, hell yeah thanks!

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Hasturtium posted:

Update: still haven’t received the White Zombie 16mm print Blu I ordered from Gold Ninja back in February. It is reportedly gonna ship Real Soon, with an expected delivery date of the 27th. Good thing I’m patient.

I finally sent them an email asking if this was ever going to ship (since I had been seeing a bunch of tweets from folks receiving theirs) and got a “whoops!” response with a tracking number within the hour. You may want to email them… I know it’s a small company but c’mon.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

How’s the Gorgo 4K set from VS? Has anyone watched the bonus features? I can’t find any reviews on it and I’m wondering if it’s worth the blind buy.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

What should I grab from the Arrow sale at B&N? Are any of their 4K releases a must-buy?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Thanks for the recommendations! I may go with An American Werewolf in London because I feel great shame for having never seen it before. Also thanks for the reminder about Thief. I queued it up in the Criterion Channel to check out before it leaves at the end of the month.

In other news my single purchase from the VS sale arrived

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

VoodooXT posted:

There are roughly 400 copies left of Snapshot. Do not sleep on Snapshot, it's REALLY good.

I also bought Snapshot because of this post

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Bought Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things because of the title

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Does anyone know if the B&N Criterion sale begins tomorrow?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

How does Severin handle Black Friday sales? Should I expect a shipment before or after Christmas?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Chris James 2 posted:

Sexmission is the new VSL release today

The daily deals, $14 each:
Dark Tower
Last Gasp
Killer's Delight
Tough Guys Don't Dance
Curfew
Red Surf
Shriek of the Mutilated
After Blue (Dirty Paradise)
Unmasking the Idol
Buried Alive
Zerograd
Mindfield
White Reindeer
Altered Innocence vol 2
Hole in the Fence

Any of these worth a blind buy?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Arrow’s Inside the Mind of Coffin Joe boxset is back down to a more digestible $76.99 on Amazon. It’s been stuck at list price of $139.95 for about three weeks. Releases January 16!

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Tim Whatley posted:

Hell yeah, now showing gang. Might get another in Blockbuster colors myself.

Another Etsy find. Got these dope metal theater signs the other day. (Lights only on to show the signs, I'm not a psychopath)

2024 goal is to have a speaker setup like this but I honestly don’t even know where to begin. We’ve been using a Vizio sound bar for the past few years.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

MacheteZombie posted:

Honestly when I got my 5.1 initial setup I started here. At the time there was a good "starter" set recommended and I still mostly use that setup but have bought floor standing polk speakers for my two fronts. The starter was a monoprice or energy 5.1 that I think have been discontinued but the thread might have new suggestions.

Then u need a good av receiver, I swear by Denon brand ones. I bought my first here for a great price and my replacement was an upgrade from Costco that was exclusive there.

Thanks! I’ll do some research and keep y’all updated when I make the purchases and set everything up.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Boywhiz88 posted:

BBY pushing out a lot of 4K Steelbooks for $9.99 including Oppenheimer. It’s sold out but not showing that. Hoping to snag one some way.

Did anyone manage to get an Oppenheimer order to go through?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Amazon canceled my Conan Chronicles without even emailing me. It’s just straight up not in my orders anymore and my gift card was refunded. Super lovely

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Blind bought the 4K of McCabe & Mrs. Miller after seeing some people rave about it. The only Altman I’ve seen is Popeye. Let’s go!

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Finally made some organized sense out of my collection. I splurged and bought the Billy bookcase found here. Question for anyone with the Godzilla Criterion set - have you purchased separate blu-ray cases for the discs and if so, where can I find those?

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Gripweed posted:

These are the ones I got. They work great and don’t smear the discs with a thick tar-like glue like the Criterion book does

https://www.etsy.com/listing/108763...s=1&cns=1&sts=1

I grabbed this one, thanks!

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

I have a small selection of movies (and games) for sale if anyone in here is interested.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a "grab bag" sale of mystery DVDs and blu-rays (mostly genre titles where I've upgraded over the years). Maybe like 3 for $10+shipping. Any interest in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

Moneyball