Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've got a Movies Anywhere code for Lawrence of Arabia. If you want it, DM me and tell me how much you fuckin love sand dunes. The first person who does it still gets the code, regardless of how much you love them though.
I have no Pms but all I know about sand dunes is they look like rockmonster titties and the sand is rough and gets everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So the S1 Stranger Things blus are on clearance at your local Target maybe. $3

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Agh. I don't need all that extra stuff but the original poster covers is so tempting.

Is this going to be one of those "passed on it at $150, now I want it and it's $300" things??

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Maybe I need to re-watch the first one. For some reason I remember him being pretty jokey.
NoES Freddy is SUPER into playing mindgames with the victims, like Nancy seeing a bodybag with her friend in it being dragged into the hall and then stumbling on a weirdo Hall Monitor that's like ¤WHERES YOUR PAASSSS¤, or the alley scene where he just extends his arms for no reason.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
VinSyn Unlimited. $800 a year for all releases

VvV
I wouldn't mind their restoration process being included either :blush:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 22, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RichterIX posted:

Tangent but what the gently caress is up with Fry's? I went into the local one to kill some time before a meeting (pre-covid) and it was eerie. Empty shelves everywhere, and I never laid eyes on another human being the whole time I was there, customer or employee.
Can't pay bills because Amazon so they "Switched to a Consignment" system where vendors only get paid as stuff sells? Or something.

Before they catered they also went hard on this "Coupon Code" email thing where a bunch of deals were gatekept behind a 6 digit code you got in your email on Friday morning.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What are the odds Beyoncé's Black is King will ever get a physical release? Cuz that's a drat thing I'd love to own on 4k.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If Hocus Pocus is their last non-MCU 4k... :emo:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheScott2K posted:

-They have a perfect Smash To Credits moment with the escaped TRex roaring at San Diego, but they don't - the movie keeps going! Enjoy this bonus 15 minutes of catharsis!

It's the only Spielberg I can think of where it really seems like someone is making him direct this.
They needed the time to set up the Godzilla joke

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vince MechMahon posted:

It still pisses me off Animatrix isn't in this, even just on blu-ray.
Pretty sure my Matrix blu-pack had the Animatrix packed in

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Isn't Zohan really insanely gross pro-IDF propaganda, or am I getting it mixed up/telephone-gaming it?
Hm. Wellllllllllllllll,

The opening scene is Zohan against some one-dimensional vaguely Middle Eastern Arab terrists, with a dramatic battle with the Head Evil MEA Terrorist guy, and just about every other scene is about how badass manly and insanely (bush) hung Zohan is while the MEA-coded taxidriver/RobSchneiderguy cries about Zohan stealing his goat....

But the climax of the film is the Palestinian/Israeli communities coming together to tell Trump to gently caress off, fight an attempt to dismantle their community, and a unity of Turturro & Sandler's characters to make The Sound, thereby achieving unity and peace between the two communities by way of gently caress White Americans.

Zohan and Phantom also struggle in their roles as superheroic men of action when they prefer trades/sales in areas commonly less "macho" or prestigious, too. So there's also an aspect of the I/P conflict causing people to miss out on their life ambitions.

Also Zohan hooks up with a Palestinian woman In some kind of "our two cultures just need love" thing. That might be gross.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Sandler movies are rarely good but one with uniquely awful politics sounds like a special kind of hell

e: it doesn't sound as terrible as I've heard, though
It's aggressively dumb at times and cartoonish, and a lot of things didn't age well (Zohan's father calls him a "f*gelah" when he talks about being a hairdresser, people are in brownface, and the answer to I/P is to embrace American capitalism). And it seems like it should have been a 2000s era production.

But at the same time it's my perfect "shut brain off, laugh at stupid" film for some reason.

If you can stomach these clips then you can enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb8ufI6z0zM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdGB1rnPcR0

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 22, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw Zohan once, it was not my idea, and the only thing I remember about it was that I got some action in the middle of it, so :shrug:
Zohan is extremely horny, yes? You learn this well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EL BROMANCE posted:

It does not seem like a movie that hits well in 2020 if you didn’t grow up with it. I still love it though.
Probably true. I got some things I missed while watching as a kid (Princess Vespa's Mercedes C-class spaceship, that the King got from his cousin Murray in the valley for cheap).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Stranger Thing blues for S1 at Target are done in a really great packaging that just screams tactile nostalgia.

It'd be perfect if it was the kind of chunky textured plastic from the 80s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Maxwell Lord posted:

There are weird Roku channels that offer stuff like this.
Pluto TV is pretty much perfectly that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah definitely appreciated given the propensity to royally gently caress up somehow whenever a new BttF disc gets released.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve genuinely never heard of anyone hating the LotR movies. Huh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOIhDRRjFQ
Jump to 1:45.

I'm in the camp where I really only enjoy the 3rd one.
The first was a grand epic, and pretty amazing to see it in theatres along with the achievement that was Gollum, but I don't ever really need to see it ever again. I think the story is ok but under a fuckton of pipe-weed cruft and worldbuilding that doesn't land for me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sell the slip on ebay for like 1/4 of what you paid for the film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Red State was him going "I have a really compelling idea, but I'm burned out by The Hollywood System... maybe I can find another way of funding it".

Tusk was pure "lol I got really high and imagine this premise for a movie.. gimme money and I'll make it happen!"

YogaHosers was pure "I need to get my kid in a movie", though he also threw a bone to his longtime Hollywood Babble-On cohost, Ralph German, whose comedic talents and impressions were employed terribly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dude was also trying to get Stan Lee out of the weird Elder Abuse scenario he was in after his wife died.
His podcasting partner, Ralph, got done dirty by the Radio station he worked for (contract negotiation turned into canceled contract after 20 years of service) and Kevin immediately blacklisted the station and refused any more interviews or guest bits as a result.

And a big reason for his outlook in his last decade was basically watching his dad die of a heartattack suddenly. He realized "gently caress it, what do we have to lose"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 16, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

I consider Blu-Rays good enough unless there's a good reason for me to upgrade to a 4k, I'll stick to the Blu.
HDR. Absolutely worth it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

On that topic, is it worth investing in a TV that does HDR well?
Yep!
Good HDR is a mixture of color gamut, brightness and local dimming. Bad HDR is... ugh.

When I was playing The Witcher 3 and Horizon:Zero Dawn on my old TV, the dialog scenes were a mess. Camera would cut, the screen brightness would bounce, over and over and over. And on the menu screens, there was a slight dimming that happened every now and then.

With my OLED, that doesn't happen anymore. It's just consistent and way, way more comfortable. There's also more detail.

Definitely spring for the better HDR.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't even want to think about what they might have done to Sleeping Beauty.

The Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale has cels and art from the film and the backgrounds are loving gorgeous.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

My 4K player came in the mail today, awwww yisss :woop:
Congrats.

I've heard the 4ks will leech color out of your surroundings, like an inverse Lovecraftian monster. But I also heard the XBOX SeX does that too so you know. Maybe check for a firmware update first.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just got Ghost in the Shell 4k really cheap, and Akira 4k is coming out in a month. Can anyone tell me what other classic anime movies are out in 4k or coming out? I've already got Castle of Cagliostro preordered.
I heard they hosed the transfer because GitS has some Brian Eno song at the end credits instead of the original music?

4k anime is going to be sick, though. Really looking forward to Akira huh.. maybe not :negative:

What's so bad about the 4k?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

Generally speaking grain is more apparent in UHD releases, that's true.
Someone (Eggbert?) also mentioned that the film prints were a gen or so removed from the camera negatives so UHDs tend to master the grain a bit too sharp for what would have been projected in cinemas.

I forgot what film I was watching (may have been Inception) where I stopped and thought about all the "quirks" of projected films (cig burns, sharp cuts, grain) that had suddenly disappeared, and how the movie-going experience was a lot more pristine but sometimes kind of, too perfect.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, Speed Racer's never getting a real 4k UHD is it? :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's almost as if government agencies aren't very good at handling complex operations. Shocker.
Lol.

Private couriers rely on the USPS infrastructure all the time. They deliver mail to a bunch of places private companies won't touch.

What a fuckin take. Holy poo poo Ron Paul Jr. Purestrain take-rear end bitch

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spatulater bro! posted:

If the functionality of a huge agency lives or dies by the whim of one government figure, there's something inherently wrong with that. That's all I'm saying.
Lol at having your head so far up your rear end you conveniently forget the insane funding rules/prohibition on banking services/etc that have been used to kneecap the agency.

"But government!" says bloke who drives on freeways, enjoys non-poisoned aspirin & groceries, and posts on the internet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

david_a posted:

I have a Das Boot DVD that came in a bog-standard CD jewel case. From looking it up I think they were both distributed by Columbia so it must have been something they briefly did.
I think the cases were a prestige thing. No one wanted people thinking their films were just, like, CDs or someshit.

Plus the VHS Box Art dimensions probably carried over better.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Roth posted:

Late, but the main issue with the NGE subs on Netflix is that they're too literal and lifeless. It wouldn't ruin the show per se, but they could definitely be better.
They lack the looseness and "wtf am I doing with my life" of the previous go. So you lose weird idiosyncratic phrases like Baloney Pony but NuShinji is infinitely better to listen to.

Another small point of contention was it changed a minor news report about a domestic attack to be explicitly caused by LEFTIST TERRORISTS

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rocco posted:

See, I always thought the unneeded profanity was what took away from that scene. The latter is closer to what I took from it.
I'm so hosed up is exactly what everyone was thinking at the moment, and it's exactly what breaks the audience from the disbelief they have at what just transpired.

Lowest of the low isn't as impactful, nor is it as elegant and succinct. Even if they had changed it to "I'm garbage" it doesn't convey the disgust and regret and resignation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Commitment to sparklemotion is doubtful

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I Before E posted:

I don't think you can play Blurays, you'd be better off putting it in a machine designed for that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cloks posted:

Wait, there's a fourth Indiana Jones movie?
Tbat's a weird way to think of the Young Indy series but I'll take it!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nemesis was so bad it almost killed Tom Hardy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's no 13 Ghosts but Liam Neeson

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

They're late era nudie cuties, c'mon guys
Like Victorian late Era or Bettie Page?

Do they need to rest in a bed of old bras?

Is their crucifix thick bouncy butts? So many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Am I crazy for thinking Pixar re-rendered ToyStory to be in high definition?

Because they should do that for Wall-E