Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Which is too bad, I'd love to see his take on Starling and Gumb.

Edit: Since it is the physical media thread, I'd like to add that the Criterion disc of The Silence of the Lambs is utterly gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Gotta see those made for tv titles in crystal clear 1080p quality

The clear visuals make the Lifetime title even more striking.
(Seriously, though, it is a fantastic transfer, totally worth the money.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My parents bought a 65" M-series Vizio ... and still have the **DVD** HTIAB surround unit I bought them over a decade ago. At least they have streaming apps.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

xarph posted:

I'm curious if pure CGI movies would get re-rendered out at a higher base resolution, upscale a DI, or scan a print.

While I'm sure it'll just be off of some master they have lying around, it would be kinda cool to see pure CGI movies get rendered out with what the artists would have liked to have done if they had the computing horsepower. If I remember correctly, they had a lot of trouble rendering wet hair the first time around.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Unmature posted:

Wouldn't that be kinda like colorizing old movies?

I don't think it's quite analogous -- it would be closer to actually reshooting Casablanca in color. Even as much as I feel Lucas damaged episodes IV through VI, I can't fault him for trying to recreate the movie as he would have made it in the first place had technology allowed. If a director chose film stock for a certain grain, I think removing that grain would be out of line during a remaster, but if the original presentation of the film ended up with a blue tinge that the director didn't want, it would be okay to color-correct later.

Then again, as much as I enjoy the sound of vinyl, I don't view it as "more authentic" or anything and it cracks me up when audiophiles turn their collective nose up at digital recording. The hisses, pops and crackles are recording errors and don't reflect what the artists actually were playing at the time. Some artists would want to preserve that in order to effect a certain mood or sound, but I suspect that if you could go back in time, hunt down Robert Johnson and offer him a flawless, crystal-clear recording he'd take it over the recording technology of the time.

So, basically: maybe? But I just think that if the makers of The Incredibles thought their vision would be more effectively presented in 8k with up-to-date lighting and water effects, I'd like to see it too, and I'm accepting of the wonky mattes in Raiders of the Lost Ark if Spielberg and Lucas want to leave them be.