Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I'm going to kill myself tomorrow.

Empress Brosephine posted:

First dvd was happy Gilmore first blu Ray was Pineapple Express first hddvd was Pitch Black first 4K was goodfellas I have bad taste

3 of those movies are good so you're doing alright as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Enderzero posted:

Doing a bit of research it looks like prices would start around $60-$100 in the initial period when only rental houses could buy, and then prices would drop a bit when they would start selling to retail customers.

If I remember right Blockbuster/Viacom cut deals with all the major publishing companies for a cut of rental proceeds if they could get the actual discs for cheap (free?) which is one if the reasons Blockbuster would be able to stock like 500 copies of big new releases on release date.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I have my cake and eat it too by organizing my physical collection alphabetically but keeping my digital list by genre. That way I can find poo poo when I want a specific movie but I can still browse Horror if I want to.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

This isn't really the best thread for this but I can't think of where to ask and I can't check right now-- does the version of Freaks and Geeks currently on US Netflix have the replaced music? Trying to get someone to watch it but the music is pretty important so I don't want them to watch a worse version.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I didn't even know there was a version where they swapped out the music. In fact I thought the reason the DVD set was initially very expensive was because of the cost of the music rights.

In syndication the licensed music is replaced and if you Google around you can find varying reports about the Netflix version from year to year.

wa27 posted:

I can't confirm what's on there currently but I watched through it on Netflix a few years ago and it had all sorts of licensed tracks.

Cool, I'll just tell them to watch it on there. Maybe I'll use checking the music as an excuse to re-watch it anyway.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

mem posted:

Netflix is pulling the show tomorrow.

welp

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Dark Water is showing as region B but I could have sworn they had a region free or A version?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Bought Pulse and Dark Water! Puller is justed as region free and you guys pointed out Dark Water's blu-ray.com entry so I should be good! I'm stoked, I've wanted to see both of these in decent quality for forever.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=82405

Pulling this to post it for no reason made me remember that they stopped putting Archer on Blu-ray, rendering my collection eternally incomplete. I don't track my DVDs though which is why my collection looks like I own only the last season of King of the Hill which would be pretty weird.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Not that I want them to raise prices, but I think boutique sellers' bread and butter is people who would buy their poo poo regardless, although most people here seem to wait for sales so I dunno how much stock they end up moving at full price.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I'm past the fact that they don't carry a big selection of movies anymore, but what annoys the poo poo out of me is that you can't even expect release dates to be adhered to anymore because I guess they just really don't think anybody gives a poo poo. But I have a Best Buy that's like 5 minutes from my office and it's super convenient to stop there on my way home so sometimes I see something coming out on a particular day and I swing by expecting to be on the shelf. When it's not they always look at me like I'm being an annoying rear end in a top hat for asking them to go get it from the back.

We're talking like The Matrix here, not some obscure indie film. But they're used to just putting the new releases out on the shelf whenever they get around to it because I'm probably the only weirdo who ever comes in there asking for specific movies.

I started doing store pickup because of this-- it sidesteps the staring at me blankly because I assume they stare at the computer screen blankly while I'm not there instead.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Woof, $8 shipping kills it when Barton Fink was the only one I wanted!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Will we get Brick and Broken Flowers in the US? I've never been sure about Kino stuff

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I'm a loving idiot I guess, all this time I've thought it was a region B label for some reason

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Slutitution posted:

Blade Runner is obvious, but I know he insists the Kingdom of Heaven and Legend Director's Cut are the proper versions fwiw.

Yeah, the theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven is trash. It's probably the starkest example (maybe the only example) of a movie going from complete garbage in the theater to really really good at home release.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Is Spectre bad? It's the only Bond movie I've never seen, I just haven't gotten around to it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Is Tenebrae dual region? Blu-ray.com has the newest release listed as untested, and the older one with the same cover listed as B-locked.

Also, I wonder how Kino's Thirst release will compare to the 2009 or 2010 Korean CJ release. It's a great disc but it's almost a decade old now, I wonder if it's getting a new scan.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I poked around a little bit and it looks like Kino wasn't able to get the director's cut of Thirst. I can't remember if the extra stuff is a positive or a negative since the movie's already pretty long, but the Korean CJE release is one of my favorite imports since it's pretty hard to find now. I think I might have only ever seen the director's cut.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I didn't know there were different cuts of the movie. Is the director's cut different from the US theatrical release?

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=696626

Looks like a little over 10 extra minutes? I'm not sure about the theatrical release but I don't think the director's cut has ever had a US (or UK for that matter?) home release.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Man, I live in a fairly big city but we don't have anything like that that I know of. We just have a bunch of theater bars that sometimes play niche stuff.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

GB 2 always bummed me out as a kid because I thought, "After saving NY there's no way they would tumble into obscurity so fast!" but now as an old person it bums me out for pretty much the opposite reason.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

The 80s and early 90s for me was my dad bogarting our one VCR for 3 straight days when there was a free HBO or Showtime weekend so he could tape every single movie that played. Not complaining, that's how I saw Big Trouble in Little China.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I wonder if Big Trouble in Little China is a new transfer. The Fox one is pretty alright already if I remember correctly but I may be viewing it through 2009 goggles.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I wonder how compromised Peter Jackson's doc will be, given the "the Beatles Were Perfect Revisionist History Machine"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

Mr. Nice Guy and the original cut.

This is a banner year for Jackie Chan home video releases.

*slams knife and fork on table* I want Wheels on Meals and a good transfer of Drunken Master 2 and I don't have a region-free player

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Back when there were only 5 Best Picture nominees the AMC theatres around here used to marathon all the nominees. No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, Michael Clayton, Atonement, and Juno in a row was a loving trip but when they don't give you enough time to leave for a real meal and all you can eat is various salt carbs and maybe a hotdog you end up feeling awful.

I still think Michael Clayton is kind of a forgotten gem though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Is that region locked? I have the big tin box Vengeance Trilogy set that I think Tartan put out but the Arrow one looks loving cool.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I was quite pissed when the only version of Regular Show season 3 as DVD. Double pissed when I discovered the transfer was quite lovely as well

Not Cartoon Network or Adult Swim, but the completionist in me will always be pissed off that I have the first few seasons of Archer on Blu-ray and then they switched the home releases to DVD only.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Yeah, I had a dirt cheap Toshiba that I bought because it had component inputs and it would be anything, even Chinatown VCDs

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I wanted the Blade Runner briefcase so bad and now I hate it because I can't bring myself to throw it away and I doubt it's worth anything but I just keep bringing it with me when I move.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Yeah I bought Over the Garden Wall on DVD to support Pat McHale and to try to encourage a blu-ray release but it definitely chafed in like 2018 or whenever that happened.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Yeah, I slapped the buy button so fast when that came out. OtGW pisses me off because it would handily fit on one disc, they could easily do a limited run or something like that and I can't imagine it wouldn't make at least a little money. It wasn't terribly popular but the people who love it tend to be obsessed.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Iím still irritated that the last few seasons of Adventure Time were just dumped out on DVD instead of blu like the other seasons. It really kills any desire to even buy the sets at all since half the reason to watch that show is for the fantastic visuals.

Holding out for box sets or better prices on things has screwed me in the past, but I'll always be thankful that the individual Adventure Time sets were too pricy for me at release and I can keep hoping for a complete set someday.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Like we can get in NZ?

hey uhhhh gently caress you

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I vaguely recall that Australia was also the only place to actually put every season of Dexter’s Lab on dvd instead of the single barebones season we got here. Aussies must love Cartoon Network.

I bought the Cowboy Bebop movie on Blu-ray from Australia in a rage buy to punish myself for not buying it the 700 times I saw it for like $8 at Walmart and now it's out of print and loving expensive

See also: why I hope Gamera the Brave is in the new Arrow set

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

Arrow's delayed the Tsukamoto and Jodorowsky boxsets, and the pricing for the Gamera set is $160US on Amazon. Oof.

Gamera is like $115 on diabolikdvd I think

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I think I've said exactly the same thing in here before, but the Zatoichi set is shockingly good. With that many movies I kept expecting them to get lovely at some point but they're all varying levels of pretty drat good. The only one I haven't watched is Darkness is His Ally because it's not in the set for some reason.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I'm terrified to ask and maybe this isn't the place but since when is Joe Bob a Nazi?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

CPL593H posted:

On a lighter note, I've been watching some episodes of Batman TAS and holy poo poo the sound design of that show is incredible and I never noticed it until I got the blu-ray set. It probably goes without saying but if you're a fan of the show and you've been dragging your feet on getting the blu-ray get that poo poo immediately.

It's so good. The Batman Beyond set is also really good.

As far as the Joe Bob stuff, he has since distanced himself from Taki and claims that when he started writing there it was because he had no job at all and the boss there did him a solid and started paying him for articles and that he didn't know about the alt-right bent of the publication. Whether you believe that or not (I am pretty suspicious that someone as seemingly savvy as him WOULDN'T know), I chalk some of his more questionable writing up to an annoying South Park-esque "the truth is somewhere in the middle" Libertarian tendency. See also people railing against his jokes about LGBTQIA+ which amounted to "making an acronym longer is dumb because it actually further tries to narrow something that contains millions of valid possible identities" when he's long been an ardent ally. I think some of his problem is the redneck character sometimes magnifies certain interpretations of his politics which, while often dumb in that "civility politics" kind of way, aren't really alt-right in nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Yeah, my source for him quitting is literally a tweet from Darcy the Mail Girl so not exactly reliable, although it's been very recent so it may have been since January. I think he's being mispainted by some critics but that doesn't mean an accurate painting would look much better, especially the tinge of "violence is never the answer" in some of his writing when more and more it's looking like violence is about to be the only answer.