Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

dorium posted:

All movies are a good time.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
If anyone has any money left over from the VinSyn sale, I'm selling a bunch of movies again in SA-Mart that would be relevant to this thread's interests: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969031

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I had a Trinitron in college, 27” I think, and that thing was a loving beast to move around. I don’t know what was in there that was so heavy but it felt like carrying a load of bricks.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
loving hell, I'm not in a position to spend any money right now but there's so much I want from both sales :mad:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Alien is the first UHD I saw that really blew me away. The whole thing looks great, better detail and depth and all, but the part that stood out the most to me was the lighting in the escape sequence at the end and when Ripley uses the flamethrower. Also the aerial shots in The Shining were especially impressive.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
you guys at a midnight showing of Rocky Horror:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

That's like my one saving grace with physical media, I don't really go in for the big fancy collector's editions. I don't care about having the soundtrack or a poster or lobby cards or whatever, and I prefer not to have oversized cases that take up a bunch of room on the shelf.

I will occasionally go for something like that if it's a film I really really love, but 99% of the time I just care about having the movie

but The Thing is in fact a film I really really love so I'll probably get that set. lol @ having the 2011 film as a special feature

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

The 2011 prequel is cool and good :colbert:

I like it actually, I just think it’s kinda funny it’s been relegated to special feature status and not even billed as a double feature or something

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I didn't realize there were 5 of those films, I'm pretty sure I've only seen the first one. I'll be getting that set for sure.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

hahaha

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I live in a house that has art on the walls, therefore anything I watch is an arthouse film :colbert:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
also I bought the Arrow UHD of The Bird With the Crystal Plumage today, $50 is a lot but I have poor impulse control and I love that film. I have the old Blue Underground blu-ray so hopefully it will be a decent upgrade

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
it'll have the original Aussie title, "Madder Max"

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

caligulamprey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5UBxgiRiQ

Goddamn it, I hate that Severin delivers the goods. Usually two or three months after they were supposed to, but they get around to it.

Came here to post this. That set looks insanely good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

a nanobudget unwatchable American horror movie.

that’s the most positive review of “Terror at Blood Fart Lake” I’ve seen yet

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Rocco posted:

Hot take but the Netflix subs are fine and the entire war over their integrity wasn't really that necessary

I just recently watched it on Netflix for the first time and everything seemed fine to me, there were some parts where the dialogue seemed weird I guess but it was a fuckin weird show so I can’t say if that was an issue with subs or not…

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked the Vestron releases, shame they dried up all of the sudden.

they're still releasing them, just at a very slow pace. Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat came out a couple weeks ago and The Wraith like a month before that. No more have been announced but it was a long gap between those two and the last pair too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh that sucks, I totally wanted to check out their physical store in Tampa when I'm up that way next year.

it closed in 2020 and since then he’s been doing online only anyway

Sounds like the move will be a positive thing in the long run

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Edit: had a dicey moment when I opened the package and I could hear that one of the Halloween 4 discs had come loose and was bouncing around inside the case. Luckily it turned out to be the standard blu ray and not the UHD.

Are UHDs as scratch resistant as blurays? Blus are pretty hard to damage accidentally

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
That's good to know, I've gotten used to not worrying about blus and occasionally leaving them loose next to my player, I'll have to be careful with my UHDs

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Cloks posted:

Shintaro Katsu as Zatoichi seems likely to have the most starring roles to me.

I can’t think of anyone else who would come close, 26 movies is a lot. I was curious so I googled a bit and came up with Takashi Shimura who is in at least 29, although he wasn’t the lead in most. Worked with Kurosawa a lot and was also in some of the Godzilla and Zatoichi films.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

caligulamprey posted:

The only good Marvel movie. :hellyeah:

Blade tho :colbert:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

For a movie person I think it's currently the best streaming sub you can have. It's just a very very deep pool of movies from a wide range of time periods and genres and a lot of it seems semi-permanent, i.e. you know they aren't losing the rights for it anytime soon.

yeah they have the best library by far, it's my most watched service except maybe Shudder.

Worst actual app though, it crashes and gets hung up all the time on my TV

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Brexit the Frog posted:

i’m a bit peeved at SRS since my Truth Or Dare bluray (BD-R) has a fault that freezes it up toward the end of the film on all my players, and i got no reply when reaching out for a replacement. if i could at least rip it to an MKV it’d be one thing, but yeah

also jesus christ that’s way too many SOV horror trailers before the film

Ron is usually pretty active on facebook, you might get a better response contacting him through the SRS facebook page

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

With stuff like Hausu or Malignant you need some time to pass before Criterion would consider it. It needs to build up it's status as a cult classic, which may never happen if they do sequels and run the thing into the ground(which seems likely).

Godzilla got run into the ground and we still got a boxset of those films - if "All Monsters Attack" can make it into the Criterion Collection, anything can. Have faith, we may yet see a Complete James Wan 16K MegaHD set in a few decades

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I love 12 Monkeys, it's one of the few movies about time travel that (mostly) makes sense and avoids paradoxes that most similar films just wave away. Didn't realize it had a UHD, I should pick it up.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Wow lots of suggestions, thanks everyone. I'm going to get a bunch. I've never seen Black Sunday though, should I get the AIP version?

Get the original version, the AIP version cuts out some of the more violent stuff and I think even changes some of the dialogue to tone it down a little for American audiences (IIRC they are both in English but some lines were re-recorded)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
can't wait to flip my translucent slipcover for $100 in 6 months

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Didn't one of the regular posters in this thread have that awesome coffin shaped edition of the Blind Dead series? I feel like they posted a photo once before and made everyone jealous.

I think I’ve posted mine before but someone else may have it too

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Tenebrae already looks stunning on the Synapse blu-ray, I'm sure it's even better in UHD but I dunno if I'd upgrade right now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
hey folks, thought this thread might be interested - I am downsizing my movie collection by a fair amount (both because I've been less interested in collecting over the past year or two and also find myself with some unexpected costs) and have a bunch of stuff for sale in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4007669

I know like every label has had a sale recently but if anyone has any cash left over you'd be doing me a favor

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

zer0spunk posted:

TIL the miramax ones are "the good ones"

:confused: you say that like Busta Rhymes electrocuting Michael in the dick isn’t the high point of the series

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

I’ll certainly grab ROTLD when it gets close. How are the sequels? I’ve never seen them.

3 is great, the tone is a little different but it’s a Brian Yuzna film and gets pretty bonkers. I still haven’t seen 2 but I get the impression it’s not terrible but kinda forgettable

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

I bought gently caress the devil 1 n 2

Oh is the amityville movie one of the good ones?

it's the original, and it's OK. Probably a masterpiece compared to the majority of the franchise but I've never really cared for it that much.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ultraviolence123 posted:

I will not stand for such disrespect of The Fifth Cord

:hai: The Fifth Cord rules, might be in my top 10 favorite giallos. Top 20 anyway for sure.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Happy Hippo posted:

edit; oh, I just noticed that the films are not placed in the box chronologically. Criterion curated the films in a specific viewing order that prioritizes themes over chronology.

this is how I've been watching them and it's definitely the way to go. The earliest films of his in the set are at best so-so, so if you go chronologically you're gonna have to sit through 5-6 relatively weak movies before you start getting to the good stuff. Or if you cherry pick the best ones to watch first you'll just have a bunch of mediocre ones left over.

I definitely recommend reading the essays too, they are good and add a lot of interesting context even to the weaker ones. Watch the films first though if you don't want any spoilers though, the essays freely discuss the plots.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Does anyone here still buy DVDs? I have a ton in my collection still and I have hardly touched them in a couple years (according to Letterboxd I’ve watched a total of 4 DVDs since 2017), I’m thinking about selling them off and sticking with just blu/UHD. Most aren’t worth much but there are some that haven’t gotten blu-ray releases yet that may be worthwhile for collectors.

Just testing the waters if it’s worth my time to make a post selling them in SA-Mart or if I should go right to Facebook marketplace/eBay/etc.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

On that note, do you happen to have the original releases of The Kids in the Hall (I think they were put out by Time Life, pre-Mill Creek anyway)? Because I'll buy thems.

I do actually, but those are one of the few sets I plan on hanging on to. I rewatch KitH every couple years, I’m overdue actually so I’ll probably start that soon.

I will probably list some of the more interesting things soon. I mostly just want to clear some space so if there is any interest I’ll sell them cheap.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Boywhiz88 posted:

Gonna try and watch the next Bergman film today. Bought the collection on Day 1 in 2018 and finally am working through it. Someone mentioned the possibility of bad discs, so here's hoping not so much!

I'm still working through my Bergman set too. At the beginning of 2022 I decided I would finally finish the whole thing before the end of the year, but I still have 8 films left. Haven't run into a bad disc yet FWIW, and even if you did I'd imagine Criterion would replace it without any fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Boywhiz88 posted:

Just wrapped To Joy w tears streaming down my face.

That one was a nice surprise, some of the other early films in the set are a bit weak but To Joy is excellent