Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Man I'm digging the stuff 88 Films is releasing in its Asia collection. The more Shaw Brothers horror that hits Blu-ray, the better off the world is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Well poo poo, this could get expensive.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SilentChaz posted:

The only thing saving me is that I don't have a region-free Blu-ray player.

Being region free is both a blessing and a curse.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SimonCat posted:

Speaking of which, any recommendations on a good Region Free Blu-Ray player?

I got a refurbished Sony model in 2016 for $110 from a seller on Amazon, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore. You can't go wrong with Sony (for BD players). This looks to be a pretty good one based on reviews.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So what you guys are saying is I need to watch Step Brothers?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm definitely down for Torso, and perhaps Candyman.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Shout! Factory posted:

They're back and ready to devour your Blu-ray player!

Order The Critters Collection from ShoutFactory.com and get an exclusive 28.5" X 16.5" ROLLED LITHOGRAPH featuring our brand new artwork, plus a second exclusive 28.5" X 16.5" ROLLED LITHOGRAPH featuring our alternative new artwork (limited to the first 1,000 pre-orders)! Also get it shipped TWO WEEKS EARLY!

Get yours here: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-critters-collection

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FilthyImp posted:

What the hell, man. Critters 1 is the critter. Critters 2 is supposed to have the big criteball. A shameful collection

Yeah they kinda poo poo the bed with the cover art. Here's what they should have gone with:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

TIL that RCA-Columbia used to distribute New Line on video.

Also, pics of the CEDs I found in my garage:

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know this format existed. Now I want them.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How does the a/v quality compare to VHS?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's all uphill from there till A Dangerous Method. Go chronologically from where you are, then go backwards to his best film, Fast Company!

I suppose the post-VHS generation aren't discovering him through The Fly any more. That is the perfect introduction.

Fast Company is criminally underappreciated.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Christmas Evil should be viewed on every single holiday.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

The best part about Christmas Evil is how different it is that what you'd expect if you go in blind. It's not at all just another killer Santa movie, not even close.

It's like a Christmas themed Taxi Driver.

Yep. And Brandon Maggart is great.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How is Indicator's quality? I'm very interested in both of these:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The worst packaging I've experienced is the Twilight Zone complete series Blu-ray. The disc hubs use two small but very rigid clips to secure the disc. Removing the disc requires prying/flexing the disc way past my comfort level. Reinserting it requires pushing the clear center portion with so much force that I'm convinced I'm going to crack the disc every single time. Luckily I haven't cracked any yet, but there's no reason packaging should make me sweat this much.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How in god's holy hell did I miss the news that Sátántangó is getting a 4K restoration, a Blu-ray release AND A THEATRICAL RUN next year?

I'm already prepping how to inform my wife that she needs to watch the kids for 7 hours because I'm going to see a movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Just a heads up, Sicario Blu-ray is $4.00 on Amazon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Timby posted:

my ex never let me watch horror movies

I can't wrap my head around this.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Timby posted:

She hates the genre and we only had the one TV in the living room. So ... horror was out.

That's really sad. Probably good you guys split.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nihonniboku posted:

Has anyone here listened to the Carrot Top commentary for The Rules of Attraction that was included with the original DVD release? The premise was that he had never seen the movie at all, and was just reacting to it while watching it for the first time. I remember thinking it was hysterical when I first listened to it 16 years ago, but who knows how well these things hold up. Especially given that it's Carrot Top.

Yep, I enjoyed it. "Oh my god that's Fred Savage! He's all grown up, and he can feel his dick!"

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You guys are too polite. "Tough poo poo I'm watching Hatchet. Go read a book or something." Would be my first response.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

trdn89 posted:

Love Children of Men but not nearly as much as I love Gosford Park. Top 5 Altman, easily.

I watched it as my first Altman way back in high school and I found it utterly boring. I was an idiot then and I really should give it another try. Every other Altman I've seen once I knew a thing or two about film I've absolutely loved.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I can't imagine not being enraptured by Nashville regardless of ones film experience. I wish I had seen that one first.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SilentChaz posted:

Ronin Flix is having an end of summer flash sale:

https://roninflix.com/collections/summer-flash-sale?page=1

I haven't seen any of these, but the cover for Delirium tempts me to make a blind buy.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

caligulamprey posted:

Hey, I’ve seen that dude around.
Ha, nice.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dunkirk digital movie code for anyone who wants it:

e: claimed

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 12, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

On a whim I stopped by Best Buy today, which I haven't done in years. It was pretty shocking to see how much the movie selection has diminished. The entire section consisted of two half-sized shelves. And one entire side was dedicated to children's movies, and another half was dedicated to Marvel stuff. It makes me feel nostalgic for the days of visiting Best Buy and perusing through 7 or 8 full length aisles of packed shelves. Today their entire selection is about the size of just their horror section back in 2002.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Boywhiz88 posted:

I worked for BBY for 12 yrs starting in 05. About half of the store was media, same thing when we moved to a new store the next year. By 2009 though, I was on a project team and I participated in the first remodel where media was reduced. I stopped into one of their flagship stores a few days ago. It was undergoing a remodel and yep, just a single row for media. I ended up sending a picture to my parents cause it was so funny to me.

We’ve talked about it in this thread, but we’re probably on the last physical format for movies. There’s not going to be a revival like there was for vinyl. We’ll just be the weirdos hoarding our Criterion’s and bitching about bitrate in streaming options.

I said for years that Blu-ray would be the last physical medium, but UHD just barely snuck in there. But yeah it's definitely the last one.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You’d think the continual splintering of streaming services and the shrinking Netflix catalog would have already driven a physical media resurgence, but I guess laziness and apathy win this round.

This is the big factor that keeps me devoted to physical, even edging out quality. I don't want my movie options to be relegated to what Netflix happens to be showing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Did I hear him correctly that UHD has no region coding? Is this something that's likely to persist forever?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So it's not even possible for a UHD to be region locked? That's awesome.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just preordered the 88 Films limited edition release of Eyeball. I'm more excited than I probably should be.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 23, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Whoa, amazon.ca has Arrow's LE of Last House on the Left for $16.39 CDN, which comes to about $13.00 USD. I jumped on it. Might be a mistake. https://www.amazon.ca/Last-House-Left-Blu-ray/dp/B07B16NSDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535054279&sr=8-1&keywords=last+house+on+the+left

e: poo poo, it shot up to $54.99 CDN right after I posted this. I hope my order doesn't get cancelled.

ee: Looks like the $54.99 one is a different seller. Amazon.ca still has it at $16.62 CDN https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B07B16NSDC/ref=tmm_blu_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1535054279&sr=8-1

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 23, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I just checked and they had it for $16.62 so I ordered it.

Hey you're right! If you look at all the seller's, it's still available from Amazon for cheap. Currently $16.62 CDN https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B07B16NSDC/ref=tmm_blu_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1535054279&sr=8-1

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

feedmyleg posted:

Help a friend out with a link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyeball-FO...yeball+88+films

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

EL BROMANCE posted:

It came up elsewhere but I’m struggling to find it, but as part of licensing apparently you can’t have the main feature of a disc be standard definition. Probably due to thinking people will get confused over such things. So rather than getting cool single disc editions of things that were shot in SD rather than big clunky DVD boxsets, it doesn’t happen. It’s probably why things like 28 Days Later and a few other titles are upscales from the original resolution.

It would be even better now with UHD discs and a further leap in encoding formats since MPEG-2 ruled over all.

I have to say I agree with this rule. Think about how irritating and confusing it would be to have labels putting out SD content on Blu-ray. We'd have interminable conversations about "real Blu-ray" vs "fake Blu-ray". I sleep easy knowing that Blu-ray = HD.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Pardon my 3D ignorance, but what does it mean that it's encoded side by side? What are people seeing?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

God I love the sort of stuff Arrow chooses to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Speaking of 4K, I have a question that's been bugging me. Can someone explain the whole upscaling of 2K thing to me? Like, why is it done instead of scanning the film at 4K? Is it due to technical limitations or budgetary ones? And when we say upscale, is it a similar to the upscaling done by TVs?