Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just bought my first new TV in over a decade and
I’m really enjoying some of this 4K content I’ve been streaming. It’s over twice the size of my old TV and while my blu rays still look pretty good, DVDs look pretty disappointing. It seems like a good time to get into 4K physical media because a lot of older stuff is finally getting releases and I could leapfrog the blu ray format for the DVDs I never upgraded.

I’ve been looking around for a player and I haven’t been able to find one that uses a Bluetooth remote. All of my media equipment is in a closet 20 feet away from my TV, and a PS4 is my current blu ray player so the remote works just fine. Does anyone know of one that might work in this situation? I have a feeling the right answer might be PS5, but it doesn’t look like that supports Dolbyvision or Atmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I finally picked up an UHD player and watched a physical media 4k movie for the first time last night. I was blown away by the picture and sound and now I'm dying to see some favorites that I've neglected to revisit in recent years. Does anyone have titles that especially stand out for enhancing the movie viewing experience? I've been meaning to show my dad 1917 anyway so I will be picking that up but otherwise I'm thinking 2001 and Bram Stokers Dracula.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah the only one I’ve watched so far was Color Out of Space, which is a particularly dark and colorful movie and it worked very well.

Susperia and Starship Troopers are on the short list. Not sure about Tammy and the T-Rex though, I’ve only seen it in SD and it looked bad enough I can’t help but feel like more definition will only damage it further.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

No it was the gore cut on shudder. I guess it could have been 720p maybe but shudder generally doesn’t do much in HD. I’ll keep an eye on it when Vinegar Syndrome does their Black Friday sale, it’s probably worth it for the cover art alone.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure the effect of Dolby Vision on non-Dolby compatible discs is really that drastic though. I'm sure I've forgotten to turn it off before and I've never been sitting there saying "wait a second, the colors are all way off here!"
I turned it on and just left it, I’d be curious if there is a benefit of turning it off.

I have noticed on some discs I have to turn off UHD Deep Color on my LG tv in order for it to display video, I wonder if it’s related.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Dolby Vision might darken it beyond what was intended.
I may have noticed this on VFW, it seemed darker to me than standard HD. Everything I’ve played has still looked terrific though.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

Knives Out steelbook is back. Maybe they made a fresh batch? Idk. It’s full price right now but should be on discount on BF. I bought it anyway because I’ll hope to get the discount later, but I’ve been waiting for this forever. I kept it on my Saved list for months and it never disappeared in the way I associate with “never coming back.”

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/knives...p?skuId=6395105

Supposed to be $15 on BF

That seems to happen a lot. Jaws steelbook showed back up for $15 and in stock at both my locals the day after I bought one on eBay. I’ve seen the same happen with Beetlejuice, Goonies, Gremlins and 1917 so don’t give up even if it says “sold out”.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have that one too and it’s a nice player. I’m still hoping they fix that Dolby Vision implementation with a code update but it’s not that bad really. If you’re nerdy enough to be buying UHD physicals, you can go into the menu for 20 seconds to get the HDR set right.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Is there an HD version of the Abyss for tv and streaming?

HBO had it streaming in HD a while ago, and apparently it was based off a new 4k scan. Supposedly the color grading is done and all the pieces are in place, they just need Cameron to sign off on the transfer.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Just got my Cliffhanger 4k physical in the mail and gonna pop that on tonight. gently caress yes

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I’m pretty firmly in the camp of not rebuying if I have it on Blu but definitely if it’s something I watch a lot and only have the DVD. I’ve only upgraded from blu-ray on less than 10 movies and they are stone cold favorites that I watch once a year minimum and there happened to be cool steelbook combo packs of them. I don’t care about resolution alone enough to need more than standard Blu-ray, I buy 4k blu-rays for 3 reasons:

1. Lossless object based surround sound.

2. High bitrate HDR is a pretty amazing. There are native 4k movies without HDR that look worse than upconverted 2k movies with good HDR. Unless there is another technological breakthrough like this I’m not sure we need a next generation.

3. It’s probably the last physical media format that’s going to be widely produced and distributed. Most movies were filmed with a maximum resolution between 2-4k and it’s likely going to be difficult for physical media to store enough data for uncompressed 8-12k. Home theaters just can’t have big enough screens to take advantage of that kind of resolution anyway, so while naturally screen resolution will continue to rise there won’t be any perceivable benefit. They’ve also finally realized movie fans would rather have film grain and embrace natural flaws in old negative scans than a bunch of DNR scrubbed garbage. That was a sin of many bad blu-ray scans so we are finally getting more honest representations in this format. Now is the time to flesh out your collection, the writing is on the wall.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

It’s not so much a holy poo poo moment as just bringing to life various components that may otherwise not stand out. I never could have told you what color the Maitland’s Volvo was and I’ve seen Beetlejuice a lot. After watching it a few weeks ago that specific shade of yellow is now burned into my memory forever. Of course it still has to be implemented right, so I think of it as a tool for color graders to be able to use on all colors like they did to red in Schindler’s List.

I don’t have much experience with different TVs HDR capabilities but I’d at least make sure it’s Dolby Vision capable.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Took over a month for my Scream Factory order to ship with no communications along the way. Seems the standard with niche publishers.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah stuff from last century has been way more impressive for me. That’s likely because I’m so used to seeing it in low res that it blows my mind that it can look this good.

I just discovered that the Sony UBP-X700 DNR scrubs standard blu-ray playback by default. So in addition to remembering to toggle DV on and off for your 4ks, you also have to select “direct” from the in play video setting when watching blu-ray upscales.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I watched 2001 a couple weeks ago in Dolby Vision on an 86” and it just made me sad that I’ll prob never see it projected in 70mm. I finally grabbed The Shining since it’s $10 right now, can’t wait.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

not sure on the accuracy of this but

Not sure how well that scales down, but it seems about right in my experience. I only went 86” because I had a specific space above my mantle between brick walls that needed to be filled entirely. I sit an unadjustable 11’ away because the sofa is in a conversation pit and that size seems perfect. It fills your field of vision quite well and you can see a lot of detail, but you don’t have to move your head around at all. According to that chart it’s the correct size for UHD at that distance, so I guess I lucked out.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

86" is a monster. What TV do you have? Or is it a projector?
It's a LG UN8500. I probably should have researched it better but I just grabbed it because it was the right size and on a good labor day sale. Looks great to me though, and is over twice the size of anything I'd owned before. No other size would have really worked in the space I was using.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Man, that couch looks super comfortable but don't you have to crane your neck to watch TV?
I was worried about that, but we always lounge aggressively on the couch and it ends up being a pretty natural angle.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Vinegar Syndrome is selling their last couple hundred copies of the Rad 4k release at exactly midnight tomorrow. What are the chances the website is even functional during that time?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Best part of the current generation of media is that they pretty much all come with a blu-ray that, as far as I'm concerned, is for lending out. Most people can't play an UHD disc anyway, so why give them the whole package when you can slip a blu-ray into an old CD sleeve and not worry about it. Digital copies are handy too, I just give my VUDU login to close friends and family.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

The Total Recall slipcover is exactly like this and it's cool as hell. They also did a steelbook for Kick rear end recently with the same style. I really like it.

The Best Buy 4k Halloween and Evil Dead steelbooks that came out this year were the same way. Cool way to add layered artwork and keep the paint on the steelbook itself from getting scratched off.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Any word on a 4k release of Showgirls in the US or should I quit waiting and pick up the German one?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

Every copy of Showgirls is essential.

...I still have the Pin the Pasties on the Showgirls poster on my wall
I must confess that I’ve never owned it physically. Likely because I’m pretty sure it’s been available on HBO consistently since 1996.

I really thought we’d get a 25th anniversary edition this year considering the 4k scan already exists, it is one of the most successful home video releases of all time, and You Don’t Nomi seems to have reinvigorated interest in it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Cliffhanger was the first R rated movie I ever saw and I still consider it peak action. The plane heist scene is one of the best action sequences ever put on film, and I believe the most expensive stunt ever recorded at the time. Don’t hesitate on the UHD, the helicopter shots look stunning and the atmos works really well.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

CPL593H posted:

It's too bad Paul Verhoeven doesn't make action movies anymore.

It’s probably for the better. I expect a similar thing would have happened to him in the 2000s that happened to Carpenter in the 90s. Best to just let them stay in the decade they belong.

PeterCat posted:

It's already been stated, but a whole bunch of innocents get killed in the movie. The movie succeeds in creating the kind of dread and fear you'd have if you were running from John Lithgow and company, but they aren't particularly likable

Excellent description of what’s lacking in modern action movies.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Family Video announced today that they’re closing all of their locations. We still had two open in our city, I guess Redbox is now our sole physical media rental source.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

Well Netflix still has its disc service. Unless you meant physical physical media rental source, then yeah.
Does Netflix offer UHD discs through this service? I guess I kinda knew they still did this but I really don’t miss putting movies in a queue and wondering how many of my top picks weren’t available and what middle of the list movie would get mailed to me.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Is Dawn getting a US release?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

What’s up with these virtual movie download codes in my physical media thread :corsair:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Totally agree, I was just fuckin around. I think digital copies are convenient and great, especially since 4k TVs probably outnumber 4K disc players 1000:1.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda struggling with the idea of this Prince of Darkness UHD. It's one of my favorite movies, so my instinct is to buy it, but I'm also kinda predicting that it's not gonna be that much of an upgrade over the standard blu ray that I already spent $25 on. It's just not the kind of film that I think would take a huge leap with a little extra resolution and Dolby Vision.

Still, I'm very tempted just because I definitely would love to see how that swirly green stuff looks with HDR/DV.
The Shout Factory blu-ray looks incredible, no way I’m upgrading this one. Plus the artwork on the 4k is the same as the original release and is absolutely repugnant, no wonder it was a rental dud upon release.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Cacator posted:

Does anyone have this John Carpenter set? Appears to be no extras since there's no BDs included but it's an Australian release so that's fine. I'm not even sure if the X700 is region free.
This might actually convince me to but these on UHD. Those are 4 of my favorite movies but I already have the blu-ray steelbooks for all of them and can’t justify rebuying individual releases.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah I kept an eye on it for months and bought it at $36.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I bought that RotLD during their sale last October, didn’t realize it was going oop. My big miss was the Scream Factory From Beyond, I really hope someone reissues that on blu at some point.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Popcorn is to be cooked in pure coconut oil with only betacarotene added for movie theatre aesthetics.

6oz P-corn
1/4 cup Snappy popcorn colored coconut oil
1/4oz Flavacol©️

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

VoodooXT posted:

Yup, the only issue is that it’s really designed to be put on pre-popped popcorn.
Nah just add it right to the fat, it will season very evenly that way. That’s how the instructions for commercial poppers direct you to do it and it works just as well on the stovetop at home.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Wind River was terrific, prob my favorite movie of 2017.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I picked up the 6 disc Apocalypse Now as my Prime Day purchase. I’ve only seen the theatrical version on VHS like 20 years ago. I’m going to screen one of the 3 versions in Dolby Vision for a couple buddies tomorrow. Is there any reason to watch Redux over the Final Cut? From what I read it’s basically the same but with 20 min of stuff Coppola deemed unnecessary removed and he prefers the final cut. It’s all new to me and all 3 versions have new 4k scans from the original negative, so if I’m not missing too much I’ll prob say 3 hours is long enough.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Batman and Returns have been out for a while and I think there’s a scan but no physical release of Edward Scissorhands too. Beetlejuice looks great and I’ve heard the same about Big Fish. Sleepy Hollow would be a dream for me though, I watch it every fall and have great memories of seeing it theatrically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

Very cool. But I'll be frank, I just don't understand a physical media collector in 2021 not having a region free player.
It auto-regulates my buying habits and fosters patience