Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My movies are generally sorted by genre, then sub genre, series, actor or director depending on what is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm ok with sorting alpha numerically but not case mixing. Blus and DVD are separate but equal in my house.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Scream Factory blu-rays are 40% off list price with free shipping on orders over 50 dollars now through Friday.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/love-is-in-the-scare

Finally picked up Lifeforce. Can't wait to see, uh, that scene in HD.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wal Mart has a bunch of $5 blu rays now. I managed to fish The Magnificent Seven and Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid out of the bin.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm really impressed with the upscale capabilities of my Samsung UHD player. I popped in one of the Deep Space Nine dvds and it looked fantastic upscaled to 2160p, much better than I remember the Netflix stream looking.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

At least it isn't floating heads.

Actually now I want a copy of Aliens with floating Alien heads as the cover.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Flip your Simpsons Season 3 DVDs before the frenzy dies down.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Turn off game mode

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'd be surprised if Tommy Boy gets a 4K release. You should just buy some black cases.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

DVDs upscaled to 1080p look pretty decent, as long as you don't walk right up to the screen.

TheScott2K posted:

What DVD gives the user VHS didn't:
-Digital picture and sound that doesn't "wear out" like a tape
-Behind the scenes value-add features
-Small, thin discs that are easy to store en masse
-Widescreen support

What BluRay gives the user DVD didn't:
-Higher resolution video
-Pro-tier audio tracks 90% of people will never touch
-Stupid blue cases

Yeah super weird that not everyone made the jump.

You forgot Interactive Menus!!!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If you left the menu running for UHF, Weird Al would come out and tell you to make a selection already. And he would keep coming, and coming, saying different things each time, eventually begging you to make a selection already.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

SomeJazzyRat posted:

All the K's in the world won't shut up your friend who insists that a Munchkin hanged himself.

And we're finally gonna be able to see it in UHD!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Every company should be like Scream Factory and put the original poster on the reverse.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

So, I have extra copies of Deadpool 2 and the Friday the 13th 6-disc set, anyone need them? Would like to trade for something else of sell for a little less than ebay average.

https://imgur.com/a/4jwYkAL

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found the Simpsons Season 3 DVD set at Goodwill for $7. Either I got a good deal or the hype is dead.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found the LOTR Extended edition Blu Ray set sealed for $6 at a thrift store, very happy right now!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Hell yeah. Thrift store score of the year.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

gey muckle mowser posted:

wow nice! is that 24 in the corner what you paid?

Yep, I don't think they knew what it was. Has the remote and everything.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I popped in a 10 year old disc with BD live once and it started playing current trailers. Really freaked me out.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't know why, but it took me 25 years to finally watch Ed Wood. Highly recommend the commentary track on that disc btw.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I toss the discs and keep the cases for display

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Whenever I see a book without a dust cover at a thrift store I think to myself what kind of a monster owned this? Well now I know.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I saw a tape at the thrift store yesterday marked Super Bowl 2002 and almost bought it just to see if it was anything else

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Softcore didn't seem bad at all when you were a kid who was used to surviving on Silk Stalkings reruns.

TMI?

Baywatch my friend.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Alec Eiffel posted:

Love to click on the thread about DVDs and learn about the masturbation habits of goons when they were teenagers.

You're right it should be physical media. My dad's VHS copy of Lifeforce made me a man.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Local antique mall has a CED player for $15, thinking about going back to get it, not that I have any media.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Sweet thrift store find, on half off day too.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anyone have thoughts on the First Blood UHD? A local place has it used for $8.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Physical media is alive for another console generation this is great. Also will be the 3rd UHD player in my house.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Got my blu ray of Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits from Amazon for $18 thanks again for whoever mentioned it was going oop.

It's now $44 on Amazon btw.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Has anyone heard of any manufacturing problems with Disney DVDs? I found a used copy of Sleeping Beauty from 2003 and both discs look perfect but neither will register that a disc has been inserted on any of my 4 players or computers. It's really strange that they would both be bad.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks posted:

Got my blu ray of Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits from Amazon for $18 thanks again for whoever mentioned it was going oop.

It's now $44 on Amazon btw.

Just checked and this bastard sells for $60-75 on ebay now.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Terminator 2 4K isn't worth upgrading from the Blu, right?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

drat this is surreal. I can't believe I just ordered Spookies on Blu Ray and it was $10 cheaper than what I paid for the VHS.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Rubber shoulders with other actual human beings and dug through the bins of movies at Wal Mart like an animal. It wasn't really worth it, most of the good stuff was gone, but I managed to find an UHD of Wizard Of Oz for $9.99.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

YMMV, but the Dollar Tree stores in my area have gotten big shipments of DVDs and Blus and there are actual real movies and some BBC shows alongside the trash. Nothing mind-blowing, but I picked up a couple of the Fast & Furious movies, Inherent Vice, Her, a couple Top Gear seasons, and both 300 movies. Some even had digital codes. Not too bad for $1 apiece.

I found Chillerama and Turtles 2 at mine

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

They should pay you the $1 to take Chillerama off their hands.

The art on the cover is really nice

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I saw the Shout Factory release of Mad Max in the 5.99 bin a few days ago.

Yeah cause the slip cover is worth another $10.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

People are just jealous because we own nice things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Evil Dead 4k and Halloween 4k were both eye openers for me.