Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ego-bot posted:

Any idea why bluray players that you could insert multiple discs into never became a thing? I used to own a surround sound system with a DVD player you could insert 5 discs into. It was great for TV shows and stuff like The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I seem to remember that multi-disc DVD players were never that big either. The only one I remember even seeing was my parents' first DVD player that they got in 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Remember that weird temporary DVD format? I remember there was this alternate DVD rental service that tried to take off where the DVD self deteriorated after being watched once or opened (I can't remember.) What weird times. I don't remember what they were called and I don't even know how I'd parse it in a Google search to find an ancient article about them.

Yeah, isn't that what the format DIVX ultimately tried to go on after DVD took off? I think they were sold exclusively by CompUSA?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

The Last Jedi: FA5JXLZFE78

Grabbed it. Thank you!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

for what it's worth, my experience of video stores was in the 90s, and if your video store wasn't a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video it was basically guaranteed to be the "cool" video store (and even Blockbuster had a surprising chance of being good). Major Video in Baton Rouge had loving everything, including a "Japanimation" section that I remember being badass as all hell because they had basically everything Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media ever put out on VHS.

Or one of those weird video stores run by religious conservatives that edited out any nudity or swearing. But they left the violence in, because murder is okay with Jesus, but a boobie is not.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Happy Endings coming to BluRay. I think Iíll probably grab that.

Great show, canceled too soon. Readily available on Hulu, so don't feel a desire to buy the bluray.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Went to grab Blade Runner, but both have been claimed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TheScott2K posted:

So now I have to sit through JP3 again.

Ah, Jurassic Park 3, a movie composed of scenes from the first two books deemed not worthy of making it into the first two movies.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Casimir Radon posted:

Is it wrong that I want to see how long they can continue dragging out The Simpsons?

Just think what kind of expanded universe we're going to get from The Simpsons if the Disney Fox merger goes through.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Timby posted:

It now appears that Comcast will not attempt to top the Disney offer, so now it resides in the purview of regulators. The deal still won't close until 12 - 18 months from now, though.

As an attorney in DC, I'm kind of hoping to work on this merger. They're probably going to have to hire a couple hundred attorneys to get through the government approval.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Has anyone here listened to the Carrot Top commentary for The Rules of Attraction that was included with the original DVD release? The premise was that he had never seen the movie at all, and was just reacting to it while watching it for the first time. I remember thinking it was hysterical when I first listened to it 16 years ago, but who knows how well these things hold up. Especially given that it's Carrot Top.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

I've been trying to explain this exact thing to people for years.

This is a crazy concept to some people now, but when I buy something I like to actually own a thing instead of hypothetical idea of the thing which can be revoked and not refunded at any time.

Amazon seems to be better about it. Back in 2011 I purchased Season 1 of RuPaul's Drag Race. At some point Viacom pulled it from every platform, making it impossible to purchase anywhere. They only recently made it available to purchase again. And yet, during that entire time, I was still able to watch it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I, Butthole posted:

That stuff is already well in effect, though; the Ron Howard doco from a couple of years ago was so sanitised to almost be worthless aside from the concert footage.

I mean, that's just Ron Howard. Sanitized. Middle of the road. Inoffensive. Milquetoast. Ron Howard's attachment to most any vehicle is a guarantee that you're not really going to get anything particularly exciting or memorable. Watchable, sure.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

King Vidiot posted:

...is it "cultural appropriation" when the artist is Latino?

I feel like that word has lost all loving meaning by this point.

Because someone incorrectly uses the term, it's suddenly lost all meaning?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Absolutely. One of my favorite movies of last year and the kind of movie that doesn't really get made anymore. I don't think many people saw it but it's a loving gorgeous head trip that deserved to have a wider audience than it did.

Oh my god, I totally thought they were talking about that Anthony Hopkins movie The Road to Wellville about the founder of Kelloggs and his crusade against masturbation.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boinks posted:

People are so sensitive these days, we're almost at the point where owning Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure makes you a homophobe.

The fact that Bill and Ted don't have a single sex scene together is homophobic.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boywhiz88 posted:

That Donnie Darko set is loving fantastic. I know people can be lovely abut DD, but thereís a lot of nostalgia w me and I think itís a rad movie. Although the directors cut is definitely less good. Arrow did a bang up job though.

Donnie Darko was one of my first forays into independent film, along with Memento. Maybe it isn't very good, but it will forever hold a special place in my heart, and I also believe that it was still peak Gyllenhall.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

No one should watch the Hobbit movies, ever

As someone who thought that the Extended Editions of the original LOTR trilogy turned great movies into even better movies, I thought that the Extended Editions of the Hobbit trilogy would do the same thing.

And while it was cool seeing some of the extra scenes, especially all the added stuff with Gandalf at Dol Guldur. But the EE's didn't make them better movies.

Then I watched a fan edit that took out anything that wasn't in the original Hobbit book, and edited the trilogy down into one movie.

And it worked. It took 2 average movies and 1 poo poo movie, and turned them into one great movie.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, I don't have the sort of collection that would require those sorts of shelves, but I keep all my Blu-rays in a big record cabinet. Unless you're an uber-dork who just has to see all those spines staring back at them 24/7, there's no need to have them out in the open. Get something with doors or drawers and you get an attractive solution with just a few seconds of extra effort when you go to grab a Blu.

Exactly. Just put them spine up in some drawers. I don't think people are really that impressed by huge movie collections like they were back in the peak DVD days of like 2005. Not since most every movie ever is available to watch on demand in seconds. I've cut my collection by more than half, and I see my Billy bookcases holding them on display as more of an eye sore these days, and a reminder of how much money I wasted on movies that I only ever watched once or twice.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

FancyMike posted:

This is not even close to true. Even mainstream stuff can be unavailable streamed. Movies available today are gone tomorrow, and streaming has become a nightmare of all the different services if there's something specific you want to watch.

Yeah, I understand. I still buy physical copies of movies that I wouldn't want to lose access to. I am posting in the physical media thread after all, and I've been following this thread for probably close to a decade now. I'm just saying that gone are the days where I buy every movie I ever liked, and I'm much more selective of my purchases.

Iron Crowned posted:

Wow, you must be really fun at parties

Yeah, you know the life of every party is absolutely the guy with the huge blu-ray collection!

Basebf555 posted:

I wouldn't display movies if it was for other people, it's for me. I have a small apartment and so I'm not entertaining people there, the shelf is just for me to enjoy and be able to stand there and browse through based on my current mood.

I was replying to the conversation about how so many media storage units out there on the market are simply an eye sore. I think a nicely organized drawer is more aesthetically pleasing than an Ikea bookcase (I have a Billy right now, and I've long been looking for a replacement). If having your collection openly on display sparks joy for you, then I wholeheartedly encourage you to do that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Best Buy dedicates a pretty large portion of their physical movie space to 4K.

The target audience for the format is not the people who are going to go for streaming. If anything, it will be like laserdisc - a niche product that's the best quality around.

Maybe your local Best Buy. The one near me has a total of one aisle dedicated to movies (which includes DVDs, Blu-ray and 4k), down from 10 or so aisles a decade ago.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

FilthyImp posted:

My classmate from High School (pop punk rocker chick, like a grimy hot topic employee/theatre kid) was super over the moon for this really plain, kind of nerdy dude in our grade. One day she's in near tears and we're like wtf happened to you.

She goes "I had a long conversation with [Guy] and then he said his favorite movie is KIDS and I DON'T KNOW ABOUT HIM WHAT KIND OF PERSON LIKES *THAT* MOVIE?!"

To be honest, I'm pretty shocked that two high school students would even know what that movie is. One knew it well enough to make it his favorite, and one knew it well enough to know that it's hosed up to call it someone's favorite movie.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nate RFB posted:

More people need to see Tokyo Godfathers.

Oh wow, that's not a movie that I've thought of in like 15 years.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Homeybeef posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but goons here seem to know their TVís and TV accessories.

Iím looking to get a 55 in. 4k TV soon but I need a new TV stand first. What would be the recommendation for size? One Iím looking at is 49 ⅝ wide by 18 Ĺ deep, which sounds like enough based on what Iím seeing but the description says itís only for a 50Ē TV. Any thoughts or suggestions? Iím trying to not spend too much on this so I can put more into getting a decent TV and possibly a 4K player. Thanks!

So, here's my thoughts on this. A few years ago I decided I wanted to start moving away from Ikea furniture, and I bought a bunch of pieces from places like Overstock.

Turns out, not only is it the same cheap manufactured wood in flat pack as Ikea, but it doesn't have the quality of Ikea. If you want cheap, just go to Ikea. But if you insist on going outside Ikea, keep in mind that pretty much any piece of cheap furniture you find online is for sale on pretty much every other furniture site out there, just under a different name, and different price point. I was looking at desks at one point, and found the exact same desk at $450, $300, and $250. So search different sites and look for common elements, and you'll eventually find the same piece.

For me, I'm now just trying to find quality pieces, even if it means that I have to put up with a lovely piece for a while. I'm also in the market to replace my TV stand.

This is the one I have my eye on.

https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

It's pretty much the only one that I've found with drawers deep enough to actually be able to put my DVDs and blu-rays in spine side up. I'm just waiting for it to go on sale, or I come into money.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 23, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

VoodooXT posted:

Ended up buying All About Lily Chou-Chou and the Takeshi Kitano collection.

Its too bad Swallowtail Butterfly isn't readily available in the West.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Just got The Fifth Element 4K. Itís beautiful, but man, the CGI really does not hold up. Those driving/taxi scenes early in, ouch.

Really? I agree that a lot of the CG doesn't hold up, but I was always really impressed with how the New York City scenes looked. And they looked much better than the similar scenes on Coruscant in Attack of the Clones.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I wonder if their issue with black and white has to do with the production values of the time. A lot more has changed over the years than just the use of color - for example, acting styles or even how the camera moves. Compare a show like MASH, which is in color, to Breaking Bad. I'm Breaking Bad, the camera is moving constantly, even if the position isn't changing because it's going for a hand-held style.

Little things like that add up.

Acting is a big one for me. The style of acting used in old Hollywood is very distracting to me. I suspect that is the same for a lot of people. It just so happens that those movies are in black and white. The lack of color is just the easiest way to dismiss older movies.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I think the rough part about Jurassic Park III is that it was roughly put together with sequences from the first two books that didn't make the first two movies. It was like a B-sides movie.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MacheteZombie posted:

Jurassic Park never having dinosaurs with guns attached to them is its biggest crime.

That's where I thought they were going with Jurassic World Dominion. They were totally setting it up in Jurassic World. I was pushing for them to call the movie Jurassic War. Instead they did a lovely remake of Lost World.

CPL593H posted:

The scene where they go into the pterodactyl cage and one of them is walking towards them on that catwalk and it's all foggy is genuinely creepy. That's the only thing good in that movie. Even the rest of the pterodactyl scene is dumb but that one image is actually scary.

The whole dome sequence was from the first book I think.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Basebf555 posted:

I'll never be able to look at LOTR in an objective way. Seeing Fellowship of the Ring on opening weekend was one of those special movie experiences you maybe only get two or three times in your life. The combination of relatively new CGI techniques with the mind-blowing fact that actually yes they've made a big budget movie version of my favorite books made it probably my most anticipated movie of like that entire decade. Every time I put Fellowship on it transports me right back to that theater in 2001 and the powerful nostalgia hit makes it tough to evaluate the movie objectively.

Yeah, as a kid, I had seen bits and parts of the Hobbit cartoon, and maybe some of the LOTR cartoon. But other than that I knew absolutely nothing about the series otherwise. I was 18, and went with friends to the midnight screening just because that's what 18 year olds did. When it ended at like 3am, I remember being floored because they hadn't yet gotten to Mordor, and it couldn't possibly be over yet. I had thought that the next two movies were just the continuing adventures of the fellowship. So, I love the movie to this day, despite how most of the CG hasn't aged well at all.

Also, Tom Bomdabil would have dragged the movie down.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I'm probably out of luck, but I figure this is as good as place as any to ask this question. This summer I bought the blu-ray for the Japanese movie Swallowtail Butterfly. I own the DVD which has English subtitles, and the blu-ray appears to have no new features, so I just assumed that the blu-ray would have English subtitles too. I got the movie, put it in, and no English subtitles. It would be one thing if my Japanese was as good as it was even a decade ago, but the movie is 1/3 in Chinese, which I've never spoken.

I could just keep watching the DVD, but I don't have a region free DVD player anymore. I stuck it in my PS4 which is my only blu-ray player, and they gave me the warning about only being able to change my region a few times before I'm locked out from doing it anymore.

Is there a way to download subtitles for the movie, and watch the blu-ray using the subtitles on my PS4? Or is watching it on my PC the more likely option?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Thanks, guys. I'm bummed I wasted $60 on this.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dorium posted:

Microsoft really needs to cut the bull and just call everything xbox.

It's almost as bad as the Nintendo Wii U where people had no idea it was even a new console.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

I've always wondered what the gently caress people do when you let them borrow a movie because this has been my experience 90% of the time I loan something out to someone.

Yeah, I don't loan things out like this anymore. 90% of the time when it comes time to return it to you, people act like they're doing you a huge favor, and it's a big burden to ask them to return the item. I've even had arguments with people because they had forgotten that I was the one who had let them borrow it, and they'll either think they bought it, or another friend lent it to them.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Weren't there also plastic cases with plastic tab locks?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I sorta liked the flippers in the days when they still had wide screen and full frame. Both on the same disc so you didn't have your mom deciding that because you still had an old TV, that you'd rather have full frame.

Except they were inconsistent with how they were labeled. Sometimes the side that said wide screen needed to face up to play wide screen. But sometimes it needed to face down to play wide screen, and you never knew on a new DVD until you started to play the movie for the first time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Delzuma posted:

Does anyone know if they fixed the obvious reversed shots on Lord of the Rings? The approach to Rohan with the flags and smoke crawling backwards has always stuck out.

I think that's a you thing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

One thing I won't miss about video stores, all the latest hit releases being out of stock for weeks if not months. Why get Jurassic Park when you can get The Beverly Hillbillies... again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dorium posted:

not sure about the blu-ray features, but this is the content

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/donnie-darko-limited-edition-uhd/FCD2113

I've never bought an Ultra 4k Blu Ray. I play my blu-rays on my standard PS4. I'm reading inconsistent information on whether I'll be able to play it. Does anybody have any advice?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boywhiz88 posted:

No PS4 is capable of UHD playback. Youíd need a stand-alone player, an appropriate Xbox One, or either of the latest gen consoles.

Thanks for the quick response! I'm sure I'll get a PS5 eventually, but not until there are some exclusive games worth buying it for. Any suggestions for a stand alone player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

So, I'm looking for an alternative means of storing my movie collection. I got rid of the tall Ikea Billy bookcases that I used for over a decade to store them, and I've also cut way back on my movie collection. For a while I would buy pretty much any movie I saw and liked, even if I never planned to watch it again.

I am in need of a new media console, so I thought it would be great if I could find one with drawers deep enough to store the blu-rays spine up. The width of a bluray case is just over 5 inches, but most media consoles with drawers, the drawers are 5 inches or less. Shockingly, I've only managed to find one with drawers deep enough, but it's kind of more than I would like to spend, especially once you take into account shipping and tax.

https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

Does anybody have any suggestions? Am I just not thinking outside the box enough? I did move into a new place with these built in-shelves in the wall that are nearly 2 feet deep, I suppose I could get some kind of basket or something to store them in that way. I know this is kind of the antithesis of this thread, given that so many of you have entire walls in their homes dedicates to their movie collection. But it's where I am right now. Anyone have any thoughts?