Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ChazTurbo posted:

Any films you're love a 4k release for? I'd really like a uhd copy of hero and house of flying daggers. Especially since the current physical release of hero is awful

I raise my face to the sky and scream to the gods “my kingdom for an Akira Kurosawa UHD Masterpiece Collection”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ted didn’t even really like it, he just thought it was the only way he could get people below a certain age to watch classic movies.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sniep posted:

Whatcha mean? I guess the latter ones after the first don't have "The" in the title but it keeps them lined up right in order file-wise, i never care too too much about the filenames as much as the sort order.

It’s because you’re missing a whole Terminator movie

Just funny, is all. Like you simply don’t recognize Rise of the Machines as a movie, which is perfectly fair because man that movie ages like a dead skunk

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I skipped over the quote box there and for a second I lived in a magical land where Stanley Kubrick directed King Kong vs Godzilla.

edit: and that the comparison point for it was Barry Lyndon and Ben-Hur. King Kong, a polite gentle giant ape of no real accord...

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Why do these things just never use the loving poster art?

Competition with four hundred other movies on a rack instead of six other posters in a lobby

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

xarph posted:

Which of these boutique cult film publishers have rights to sony pictures classics/columbia tristar? I want to badger them into figuring out the rights and restoration for the 2000 rave trance flick "Groove."

I think Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is literally who is pressing the discs and shipping to stores/warehouses for Criterion these days. I think they've done so for most of the past decade. So I suppose... Criterion?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

The Martian's got four titties.

:eng101: Fun fact: she was supposed to have that many, originally, but when Veorhoven saw an early version of the prosthetic he thought it looked too much like she would have had cow udders instead of human breasts and they decided to go to three titties

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I saw the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 when I was in middle school because I bought a bootleg tape off of some guy on the internet. :smug:

What I mean is I just don't get why people like all those 80s horror franchise sequels. They're really bad and you could just use the money and shelf space for stuff that is good.

They’re goofy and fun and for a lot of people they were their introduction to the series. Nostalgia for the first horror movies you saw can be a hell of a pull.

Every movie is someone’s favorite, not even because of the quality, but simply because it was a movie they saw on a particular day in a particular year at a particular moment in their life, and it simply just... stuck to them like a fly landing in ointment.

God knows Masters of The Universe is a terrible Cannon movie made by a child molester, but damned if I do not know that movie back to front and enjoy it thoroughly despite the only really good parts of it being Frank Langella playing Skeletor with as much weight as a Shakespeare villain and Bill Conti writing a surprisingly good score (and, all right, the Eternia production design is pretty great, very Lynch’s Dune meets Kirby’s New Gods). It was just a tape my parents had, an HBO recording presumably to sate my brother’s quench for it since he was big into He-Man when he was five or six, and when I was four or five, the handwritten title caught my eye and I popped it in, knowing nothing of the dumb lore of a toy cartoon that this movie broke from, pissing off a subset of nerds forever.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

So, the digital copies of the Back To The Future 4K+Dolby Vision remasters are up on iTunes, and I can definitely say that 1 and 3 look massively better with the wider color gamut, higher dynamic range, and increased resolution - the texture of the film stocks used on the original have a nice grain texture to them, skin tones are just wildly better - I had previously bought BTTF and the upgrade hadn't kicked in yet until I checked and found an update on my Apple TV, after which I assume reconnecting to my account recognized the change - and I watched both Marty and Jennifer go from standard-looking white people to having very real Southern California tans. The older Lorraine makeup work on Lea Thompson is outstanding and you can really take it in - when they dolly in to a close-up on her face at the kitchen table, you can count the crow's feet. The flux capacitor coming to life has an almost otherworldly brightness to it, there's lots of shaping to the lights, shadows are deep, it really looks immensely close to what it must have looked like on July 3rd, 1985.

3 is gorgeous and the increased resolution and wider color gamut really sells some of the homage shots to classic westerns (that loving perfect cloudless blue sky, goddamn), like Clara waiting to board the train or Doc and Marty hitching the Delorean to horses and trying to race them up to 88 MPH with Monument Valley rock formations in the background. And boy does the optical work and compositing show how much they pushed it as far as it could go, Doc and Clara on the hoverboard looks like they're cutouts against the actual photography. And Doc has a harsh, harsh, almost leather-brown color to his face. There's highlights on the manure that Mad Dog gets covered in that sparkles with the wetness of it. That movie looks great now in a way that might really give it another renaissance in appreciation. Like, it's clearly shot using the same or similar stock to what 2 was shot on, but there's so much grit and dust and dirt and whatnot inherent in the setting itself that it keeps a real texture to everything.

But now I feel like the weak link photographically in the trilogy is 2, although the composite work with multiple Michael J. Foxs (Foxes?) on screen all over the place in the McFly household is fantastic given how some of the other FX work shows its age. It's just very... workmanlike compared to 1 and 3, with a nicely clear image, but in that way that lacks... real texture to it? Everything's kind of flat until you get to Biff's 1985 and the neon can work up some real dynamism in the lighting and some sharp neon colors show up, and then the return to 1955 is lacking in just about all aspects compared to 1. But it really sells that this was the thing Zemeckis had to make to get to do a Western with the next one. I will say that Thomas Wilson as old man Biff when he's talking to his younger self sounds incredibly close to modern Bruce Willis when he doesn't throw the angry grit in his voice (and the makeup work on him is pretty good as well, although sometimes it veers into ghoulishness; somewhat appropriate, I suppose). Costumes all look great across all three movies, the increased resolution really makes the finer weavework shine on the future jacket in 2 or the poncho in 3 or the slightly stiff, polyester texture of the 50s clothing across all three (especially the cockamamie getup 50s Doc puts Marty in before shooting him off to 1885).

I dunno why I mentioned this in the physical media thread, there's just not really a lot of other places on the forum to talk about the upgrades and I figure there's at least a few people who probably pre-ordered the 4K discs, which will surely only look better with the massive rise in bitrate that'll come on the discs. But if anyone had any worry that Universal hosed these up or anything, it doesn't seem like they did - the only movie that suffers is 2, and I think that might have just been because it feels like a "the studio wanted this, and they wouldn't let me do Old West Doc and Marty unless I did it" sort of deal. They treated this as well as they treated their Hitchcock releases - some top work, in my eyes (Psycho might be the finest-looking black and white movie I've seen come out on UHD so far).

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It’s certainly better than Jason Takes A Boat To Manhattan

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

That said, I remember when grocery stores had movie and video game rental sections. I think that lasted up until the early 2000s. Crazy to think that something that used to take a chunk of real estate is now just a vending machine, or digital.

That’s actually how my parents met. My mom worked in the movie rental section, my dad worked in inventory and stocking but watched a lot of movies, he used his discount on rentals, one of them asked the other out after about a dozen times of him renting tapes and talking movies almost specifically just to see her, and like a year later they were married and I was a fetus.

When I was thirty or thereabouts they gave me a long box that turned out to be filled with about a hundred VHS promo posters that went from the time period they were dating up to until my mom left to be a phone operator. Most of it was poo poo I had never heard of.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

That's why I was pretty shocked that HD-DVD wasn't the winner of the last format war

Never underestimate putting a format in a games console

Like, given the fact that standalone players for both HD-DVD ($499 and... $799?!) and Blu-ray players ($1000!!) were around or more than the same price as either model of PS3 and hadn’t really dropped too much when it arrived at the far end of the year both formats launched in, them selling like 670,000 of them in two months in the US and another 600,000 in Europe pretty much started the beginning of the end for HD-DVD.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Redeemed Little Mermaid, thanks, I usually only see these posts like an hour after everyone’s claimed them

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I feel like the live action Disney films have been completely forgotten, until another one comes out.

I don't see anyone using the Will Smith genie, it's always Robin Williams. Nobody cares about the real catsn Lion King.

I mean their literal existence was as a cheap way for Bob Iger to top out his contractual bonus payout since he had risers included for every year over year improvement on revenue for the studio - and what easier way to juice up that revenue than to remake the studio’s sole established, meaningful canon in live action?

It’s just ironic that, much like 98% of the studio’s live action output since they started, they end up being forgettable crap slid away forever once money has been squeezed from it. They’re the sawdust of cinema.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

If anyone’s wondering how the Indy 4Ks turned out, Raiders looks loving spectacular.

I imagine no one is shocked by this news.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Goonies 4k UHD is $13 right now. I'm not a huge fan, but I grabbed it cuz I'm a sucker for 80's fun.

The UHD of Goonies honestly made me appreciate a lot of the lighting in that movie more than I ever imagined I would. Once they get in the cave the movie looks really gorgeous and I never thought I’d be admiring them handing kids some lanterns and basically having them do a chunk of the lighting work, but it works out well in a way that doesn’t come across in SDR. Really helps make it feel like it’s a cheap-print paperback kid’s adventure novel.

Also some of that matte, set, and prop work, especially on the pirate ship :wotwot:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Digital filmmaking ruined lighting. Once they figured out you didn't have to light so much, they just decided natural lighting would be good enough and now everything looks like flat underlit dogshit. This is my Old Man Yells at Cloud thing and I will die on this hill.

EDIT: Deakins gets a forever pass. Dude knows what he's doin'.

Even then I think Deakins peaked eleven years ago with True Grit, which is just one of the most unbelievably beautifully photographed movies I’ve ever seen. Not that he isn’t still ahead of most cinematographers with what he does now, but nothing he’s done since has knocked me on my rear end the way that movie did. Maybe the chase with the burning mansion in the background in Skyfall.

But yeah, it feels like most productions don’t put even the amount of effort, say, Soderbergh does with natural lighting on digital formats, and it’s arguable even he has fallen off a bit from those early days where he was really excited with this new and different format. And nobody tried following Michael Mann or David Lynch into “let’s really define digitally shot stuff as it’s own aesthetic and not chase a filmic look”. So now you just get a sense of blister-pack cinema, I guess is maybe the way to describe it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Blade Runner 2049 is one of the most beautiful movies of all time imo. So if that's a step down from a career high, it's a hell of a small step.

It doesn’t even hit the top ten of his work (Grit, Ford, Fink, and then in no particular order Shawshank, O Brother, Fargo, Jarhead, Kundun, No Country, The Village, Secret Garden, Man Who Wasn’t There, Lebowski) to me, and I prefer the original photographically to it, so tomato toematoe, I guess v:shobon:v

I do think it looks a lot better than Skyfall, which I think dips way too far out of the grit of the Craig Bonds and just makes everything feel detached and cold

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

As far as I'm concerned, anyone replacing soundtracks will never top this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB0xH7GhwSY

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Out of the three he’s bought, I’d probably point him towards watching The Matrix first as it’s the only direct 4K scan of the three - so it’s straight from a Super 35 negative to the digital file, both BR2049 and Prometheus I believe are sourced from the 2K DIs - and it’s also a movie that, as the oldest favorite, he’s probably seen the jumps from DVD to BD and so would more immediately see how things have jumped up from format to format each time. Also because the UHD Matrix remastering fixed the color back to being what the Wachowskis and Pope originally wanted it to look like at the time and not feel like someone just plastered a green filter over every in-Matrix scene like the master they did twelve years ago. I think the booklet in the trilogy box set is even like “this movie’s look is now technically more accurate than the prints in 1999”.

That and there’s nothing in BR2049 or Prometheus that quite hits the “oh gently caress THAT’S BRIGHT” as Neo’s first jacking into the void so Morpheus can lore dump at him. That moment really lets you know “hey so your TV can get this bright with HDR”. The other movies look great, although in terms of further stretching the high resolution/wide color legs after The Matrix it’d be BR2049 and then Prometheus if only because there’s a lot more vivid color work in 2049 while, of course, Prometheus is very steely and dank, blacks and blues with sharp bursts of white light every so often so it’s more the detail in shadow, the fine details of the costumes and sets, and those occasional bursts of light that pop.

Which, while with a much wider spectrum of color than Prometheus, you could say about that Almost Famous UHD disc. The texture of the water bag when Penny has to puke up Qualuudes is, uh, pretty remarkable. Plus you see how close they really got to the 70s aesthetic, that swing at an Ashby and Altman crossover look photographically. The highlights won’t knock your socks off, the movie’s generally got a soft, hazy look to it, but boy the fine details like the costume work and props are incredibly appreciable at the higher resolution.

But yeah, grab classics if you can (after checking to make sure whatever studio released the disc didn’t gently caress it up). Even something like Evil Dead, made on 16mm, is real good looking in 4K.

Although my gold standard for the classic stuff is still Back To The Future, specifically 1 and 3, the Indy movies that just came out - especially Raiders - or the Hitchcocks that have been done, depending on the day. Universal’s really going hard with their catalog of classic films and I like it. I’d put the Kubricks just below those, but way up high in the “just buy the drat thing” zone regardless, especially something like 2001 or Full Metal Jacket.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Del Toro has as various points mentioned that he doesn’t really like high fantasy at all. Which begs the question of why he was ever attached in the first place outside of money.

Because it would be the ticket to getting to make whatever you want for the rest of your life without anyone asking twice and not ever having to do “one for them” ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

This rules. Definitely bumping it up on my list, cuz I thought it was just a standard charming song-and-dance flick. I appreciate it!

It’s a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale and I believe out of all of the Powell and Pressburgers that Scorsese loves, it’s this one that he holds the most in high esteem. It really is one of the best movies of all time, and I would say definitely the best ballet film ever, no contenders to the crown. I’m more excited it’s getting a UHD than Kane! Makes sense, though, the restoration was done at 4K, and I imagine they’re gonna get as many Powell pictures as they can on the format because who knows how long Thelma Schoonmaker will be around to approve them seeing as she’s 81 (as not just being maybe the best editor in film history, she’s also Powell’s widow, marrying and taking care of him in the last years of his life).

Also the restoration effort alone was insane. Three years of work, no frame skipped, from some incredibly horrible damage. They pulled the film out of death itself, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MutSl2dFE0E

“Why do you want to dance?”
“Why do you want to live?”
“Well, I don’t know exactly why, but… I must.”
“That’s my answer, too.”