Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think it’s trash that Sony didn’t put UHD capabilities in the PS4. Hell, doesn’t it only push 2K and you need the Pro for 4K or is that just gaming? It makes sense though. Sony was heavily invested in Blu-Ray winning back in 06, but now I’m sure they’d prefer to purchase digital movies from them directly on their media platform.

People don’t realize what’s coming when physical media dies. No standardized quality, the ability to change or rescind purchases, needing an Internet connection. I remember when the MacBook Air debuted and people were gnashing their teeth about repairability. I laughed at them and then a few months back a friend had me take a look at their ultra thin laptop. The only thing I had access to was a board that connected the AC power and keyboard/touchpad input to the motherboard. Nothing else was accessible, etc. then my mind right to how the PC industry gets to gently caress you coming and going.

Kanye’s last album is one of the major examples of digital media fuckery. He changed a few songs after release, and some people prefer the originals. This wasn’t correcting a gently caress up necessarily like bad levels or wrong song, this was someone changing the song where you like it or not.

As was mentioned in the last thread, the battle of “diminishing upgrades” is tough. DVD was revolutionary, Blu-Ray was a refinement, and 4K is the industry not knowing where to go. The discs can’t handle special features or anything, so they use a BluRay usually. Most new movies that got to look their best on BluRay are limited due to digital photog so they’re usually 2K upscales. 3D may have been bum, but it at least altered the experience in a noticeable way. I’ve actually leaned into 3D the last couple months between the blowout on them as it winds down in the US, and because I’d rather keep my 2K 3D TV than get a larger 4K where everything gets upscaled.

However, I think the niche parts of the market will always remain like it did w/ vinyl but I can’t imagine a resurgence like records have experienced in the last 5 years.

Also, since October I’ve used a system where I pull out the movies I want to watch slightly so I don’t have to necessarily look at all of my movies but grab one I know I’ve been wanting to watch. I probably come off as a huge Interstellar fan.

EDIT: also fuuuuuck them for not selling a non-collectors version of Kong: Skull Island w 3D/4K/BD. Do you want my money or not!?

EDIT 2: I’ve never seen The Thing. Which should I go with? I feel like the cooler colors from Shout? are more up my alley w how I pereceive the film. But I’d like the opinions of people who have seen the movie to begin with.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It’s reaaaaally nice. (Also my first BluRay’s!)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Watched Rififi w my dad today so I ordered the Criterion Blu-Ray along w the Shout Factory The Thing. I was more interested in the cooler timings, and I’ve been super happy w my other releases from them. My purchases have really taken off in the last year. In part due to having some cash to spare, and just realizing what was out there and worth picking up. Also, grabbing ransom films I love that don’t stream such as Billy Madison.

Still holding out for The Abyss w Avatar 2 and a functional Predator Blu-Ray.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

My first DVDs were Xmas ‘01. I got “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” and Episode 1. My first R-rated DVD was Alien, and my first Blu-Ray(s) was the Alien Anthology. My first 3D-BD was probably Prometheus.

I’ve gone a little nuts over the week. Grabbed Rififi, Happy Gilmore, the 2-disc Dawn of the Dead 04 from Scream, and The Thing. Trying to hold back on more but I got some OT on my paycheck, so it’s hard not to justify a couple of BDs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I want a shout factory speed Blu Ray please. Wall to wall special feature.

Demolition Man as well thanks.

Speed is one of my go-to sick day movies. It deserves a good release.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Happy Endings coming to BluRay. I think I’ll probably grab that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

sponges posted:

David Finchers commentaries are delightful

Fight Club?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

“Hey Marty! Kundun!? I liked it!”

Went a little crazy today and this week. Treated myself to Suspiria but it got delayed and won’t arrive until Monday. I know absolutely nothing about the film, just going off how much it’s been talked about in this thread. Also picked up a copy of Take Shelter for $35 on eBay, I haven’t seen it since I originally watched it on my laptop hungover so I’m pretty excited.

As I’ve mentioned, Best Buy continues to have good deals on 3D. I finally picked up Avatar as it’s $15. Also treated myself to all 3 seasons of Mr. Robot and the first season of Insecure today because they’re half-off. I also grabbed “The Man with No Name Trilogy,” another set of films I’ve never seen. Also picked up Evil Dead and Dark City last week cause why not.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Verhoeven definitely belongs in the Criterion collection, his stuff has never been fully appreciated, even when he had big hits, and the material seems to only become more and more relevant as time goes on.

Would not disagree. A local theater has been doing a Verhoeven month for July. Total Recall, Showgirls, RoboCop, Basic Instinct, and Starship Troopers. Never saw Showgirls or Basic Instinct before. Showgirls was insane, and Basic Instinct is next week. It’s been a good month.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m interested in that Legally Blonde collection. I have great memories seeing the first w my brother, and the sequel w my mom. They’re just silly, fun movies.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The Shield on Blu-Ray in November! gently caress yes plz!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Went w “A Fish Called Wanda” and “Deep Red” for the Arrow sale. I’ve seen Wanda but Deep Red was kind of an impulse. My GF and I were at a revival showing of Basic Instinct last week and the theater ran a trailer for Deep Red that had her geeked. I’m in because I grabbed Suspiria but haven’t watched it so I figure why not get some more Dario, and the lead in Deep Red is the lead in Blow Up.

So, what’s everyone’s recent sight unseen buys?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I picked up Stalker during last year’s sale and Scanners this year as blind buys. Still haven’t watched Stalker. It’s tough for me to commit to a 3hr movie in my place sometimes because I get antsy for chores, etc.

There’s an Alamo Drafthouse opening in my city and they’re doing a showing of the 4K Lawrence of Arabia print. I can’t do it but gently caress I want to so bad.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Brand new Alamo Drafthouse in the Twin Cities showing Lawrence of Arabia and Blade Runner: Final Cut and here I am out of the country.

Right? I don’t have a car and don’t live by Woodbury anymore so it feels so close yet so far.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

roffels posted:

Yup. I don't think a 90 minute bus ride from Minneapolis is worth the effort.

Also the Trylon showed Lawrence of Arabia some months back, so the sting is lessened.

I missed the Trylon viewing, but I got my parents’ car while they’re out of town and the ticket was so loving cheap, $9 after fees, that I said gently caress it. I probably wouldn’t have been productive anyway lol.

Trylon has been the best discovery for me this year. My first time going was their Predator run after X-Mas. Never saw Predator before, so it was a ton of fun. Went to every week of their Paul Verhoeven month and I plan on seeing Once Upon a Time in the West and maybe the Man w No Name trilogy this month.

I love Trylon! Actually, that’s why I grabbed Deep Red, they had a trailer before ROBOCOP or Basic Instinct but aren’t doing a showing. My girlfriend was interested and I saw it on the Arrow sale so here we are.

EDIT: Battle of Algiers rules, I know I gushed about it a page or two ago but I cannot emphasize how much I like it. It took the Pentagon awhile to host viewings after the insurgency in Iraq kicked off, which is funny because you can draw the line in 30 seconds.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 2, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

So my “America: Lost and Found” set came today. 1). JFC, Barnes and Noble has great shipping speeds, goddamn. 2) how should i put this in my collection?

I figured I would just file it under A but the individual films could be sorted. I’ll proly go w the former but wanted to know how people handle situations like these.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

At this point, I have to believe the executive in charge of Predator is just a Xenomorph w a shirt and tie.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

On a whim I stopped by Best Buy today, which I haven't done in years. It was pretty shocking to see how much the movie selection has diminished. The entire section consisted of two half-sized shelves. And one entire side was dedicated to children's movies, and another half was dedicated to Marvel stuff. It makes me feel nostalgic for the days of visiting Best Buy and perusing through 7 or 8 full length aisles of packed shelves. Today their entire selection is about the size of just their horror section back in 2002.

I worked for BBY for 12 yrs starting in 05. About half of the store was media, same thing when we moved to a new store the next year. By 2009 though, I was on a project team and I participated in the first remodel where media was reduced. I stopped into one of their flagship stores a few days ago. It was undergoing a remodel and yep, just a single row for media. I ended up sending a picture to my parents cause it was so funny to me.

We’ve talked about it in this thread, but we’re probably on the last physical format for movies. There’s not going to be a revival like there was for vinyl. We’ll just be the weirdos hoarding our Criterion’s and bitching about bitrate in streaming options.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, in the past few weeks I've watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, A Cure For Wellness, A Fistfull of Dollars, Thief, and A Touch of Zen. I came home one day from work this week and it was a dark rainy afternoon, was in the mood for something gothic so I popped in A Cure For Wellness.

I don't even know if it's available for streaming but I enjoy not even having to worry about it, I have a very wide range of movies now and I can just go based on mood, it's pretty nice.

Thief is on Hulu. Just bringing it up so in case you’re some kind of savage and haven’t seen Thief, you can see Thief there.

In terms of revival cinema, I think there’s a market there. I’ve spent over $100 in tickets between August and September. That’s waaaay more than I’ve spent at first run theaters in the last year or two. And I got to see some cool poo poo like ROBOCOP or the Dollars Trilogy. poo poo, I see Once Upon a Time in the West for the first time next Friday.

My Sunday’s in September are gonna be Peter Lorre films! Anyway, it will be interesting how cinema changes in the next 5 years. The market for CDs basically died within a decade of the iPod going mainstream. Physical movies might be within a similar timeline.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Im an idiot and I hate steelbooks

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It was more based around the decision to purchase one from eBay knowing there was a good chance of a re-up today. And it re-upped today. Oh well, I’ll try to sell it in a bit here lol

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I, Butthole posted:

Jackass 3D comes with two pairs of Jackass branded red-blue glasses.

I still pine for a 3D version of Jackass 3D, it would take it to the next level.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’ve heard Annihilation is loving gorgeous w HDR.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I didn’t see Predator until this past Christmas because I refused to watch that hosed up Blu Ray and refused to go standard def.

Just my every so often reminder that we still don’t have The Abyss on Blu Ray. Another film I haven’t seen because I wanna see it in high def.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah, it just never happened and now I want the “best” experience possible. Worked out, got to see a 35mm of Predator that was in pretty decent shape w about 90 other people.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

On the subject of extras, the Alien Quadrilogy is still my favorite. I never really got into any DVDs or collections like I did that one. Every night of winter break was a different disc of extras.

What are some of your favorite extras from a movie(s)?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I Found Smokey and the Bandit in the $7 bin at Walmart, and now I'm wishing Duel was out there on Blu

It is!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/duel-blu-ray-1971/4434808.p?skuId=4434808

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Ive heard Annihilation’s HDR presentation is reference-worthy. I certainly wanna see it. Such a pretty film.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

gently caress. There are like 3 or 4 titles in that sale that I bought in the last 6 months. Oh well, still lots of good stuff to consider.

EDIT: said screw it and grabbed Carrie, Misery, and Child’s Play

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 9, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Holy poo poo, my Shout order came already. I’m watching Carrie tonight!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

For anyone still into 3D and looking for a new TV: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-led-z9d-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/5480900.p?skuId=5480900

I picked one up this AM. Deal was too strong.

Edit: what’s the go-to UHD player? I’m assuming XB1S/X, but maybe I’m wrong.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Arrow is now licensing from Warner Bros and they’re starting with William Friedkin’s Cruising.

https://youtu.be/twEF6E4BVfo

I’ve heard Cruising is a pretty hard watch. Is it worth checking out?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I just picked up a second of those Atlantic wavy CD towers, you know the one. Gonna put the part of my collection that resides in my bookshelf in it and then turn the bookshelf into BluRay and DVD heaven!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

However, there’s a great deal on the 65” Z9D via BBY. I just picked one up myself. $1999, down from $3499.

So, consider that! It has 3D!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

I find calibrating with my Samsung 4K to be fairly easy and just used the THX Optimizer app with my Apple TV.

Also, some catalog announcements:

Universal is releasing Chicken Run and The Road to El Dorado on Jan 22
Sony is re-issuing Oliver! on Dec 11
Twilight Time is releasing Sony's 4K restoration of Beat the Devil on Jan 22

And Sony quietly reissued the 1990 Night of the Living Dead last week from a new transfer compared to the Twilight Time:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Night-of-the-Living-Dead-Blu-ray/215877/#Review

I just saw “Beat the Devil” in a theater a couple weeks back so that’s a must. I really wanna show it to my parents.

Also, I had my last set calibrated by an ISF-certified tech and plan on doing it for this one. But I’m impressed w the out of the box presets. Also, does anyone know if ARC automatically powers on the sound system? Everything w CEC is great, I just wish my drat surround wouldn’t come on automatically.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The Lawrence of Arabia and Get Out steelbooks loving rule. Lawrence is just the desert w a camel walking through it. Get Out makes it look like a Hitchcock poster.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

The people with the massive blu collections- Are you going to rebuy for uhd?

I somehow managed to resist buying a ton of things with the intention of owning the uhd version at some point with that being the reference quality/definitive copy I'd have to buy.

If 8k scans become a thing I'd be super pissed though.

Probably won’t be an issue. It’s something we have discussed beforehand but UHD’s market is super limited and it’s also technically limited. What do I mean?

First, lots of brand new movies coming out on UHD are just upscaled 2K prints. Most of the time it should provide some benefit, but it can also make CG and other effects stand out poorly. Film-based movies/prints see the most benefit but those are becoming rarer.

Secondly, physical home media is dead. That’s why we have this thread. There is not the demand for discs like there used to be and that affects pricing so the entry price remains high (UHD players are still $200-300 bucks, 4 years into the format. I’m sorry, why do they need to be that more expensive vs a BD player?) and limits the resources that studios will pour into releases.

I was gonna grab the UHD of GoodFellas on sale the other week, but saw on Blu-Ray that the UHD releass has major issues. If a film like GoodFellas is dealing with that, then what hope does the format have?

So 8K will probably never reach physical media, and UHD releases will need to get better. I would get a UHD of Lawrence of Arabia in a heartbeat vs the latest Marvel release. In fact, I’ve heard Disney has been really lovely about 4K releases, so it’s not like the format has clear studio support.

Get what you want in 4K, but don’t feel obligated.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Physical disc sales still make up 33% of household movie spending. It's not "dead".

BTW CD sales beat digital download sales last year.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report

How much of that was DVD vs BD/UHD? The bottom most tier is gonna survive because there’s Alaska and lovely internet throughout the US, etc. but if you can afford BD, you can probably afford and/or have access to digital media.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The point is it's not "dead". You can come up with whatever rationalizations you like but I'm tired of people pretending that the shelves and end-caps full of physical media in every fuckin' Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Costco, and other big box stores across the country don't exist or just sit there gathering dust. They move.

But you’re also wrong. Best Buy is consolidating all physical movies and TV shows into a single row. About 80ft total, probably. Down from hundreds, which was down from thousands. Sure, home media for movies might still be 33%, but what was it a year ago? 5 years ago?

When we say home media/physical media is dead, we’re being hyperbolic but we’re also talking about trends. Do you think your defense will be relevant in a year? 5 years?

You’re not gonna see a revival of Blu-Ray or UHD like you do vinyl. A lot of the reasons for the vinyl revival don’t really exist for movies. There isn’t nostalgia for a disc, like there is vinyl or even VHS. The “higher quality” argument is already in play for BD/UHD and it’s irrelevant.

Oh and I’m pretty sure Target is about to consolidate their media the same way that Beat Buy did. They’ve got a buy 2, get 1 free deal on all media this week, that screams blow-out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I think we’re talking past each other. I already said that we’re being a bit hyperbolic about the “dead” status. You accuse me of being disingenuous in my argument for acknowledging the circumstances in which physical media won’t be replaced, but ignore my point about the number 1 or 2 brick and mortar electronics retailer (Best Buy) greatly reducing their movies section and completely eliminating their music CD section.

When I started at BBY in 2005, blank media was about 20ft of space for CDs and DVDs, tons of choices between quantities, features, and manufactures. When I left the company last year, it was down to a single shelf in their toys section.

As I mentioned before when we talk about dead, we’re talking about growth. This market is only going to continue to shrink as the years go on.