Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Some $15 UHD Steelbooks at BBY.com.

War of the Worlds, District 9 are some of the standouts. But they’ve also got Grease and Forrest Gump. About 6 or 7 total!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It’s back! On my iPad at least, which didn’t ever get pushed to communities.com (WTF w that btw)

Oh how I missed it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

John Romero posted:

am i able to play that new battle royale release in my ps5

Aside from the region 2 BR2, the UHD should have no region locks per the standard.

Spatulater bro! posted:

For anyone wondering about their easter Arrow sale orders from Grindhouse Video, this is on their home page:

WTF??? Why would PP do this? I’m not affected but how terrible!

Lastly, got my Arrow UHD of Donnie Darko. It fucks. Great grain. Colors look great. A bang up job for one of my guilty pleasures.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The slipcase won’t even match the format! It’ll say BD+DVD+Digital instead of UHD+BD+Digital.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Boinks posted:

No it was that clear sticker they put across the top, side and bottom. Half the time it would rip a strip off the top of the cover too.

THIS! for CDs AND DVDs AND Blu-Ray’s!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Is 1917 4K worth a blind buy for $13?

Good looking movie especially at 4K but idk how much I’d rewatch it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Less than 24 hours until the biggest UHD release of the year!

Speed? Mine showed up today. Just biked, gonna shower and then throw it on!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Willy Wonka UHD announced! Helllll yeah

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

yoohoo posted:

gently caress yes. This is probably the most exciting release for me yet.

Yeah, suuuper pumped about the possibilities here. I think the BD is supposed to be pretty mediocre. Good color but ok image quality.

Yeah, it looks good. Still the same audio mix, but it bangs the same. I’m waiting for a lazy day to watch it through.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 4, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.casetopia.com/category_s/1477.htm

I've considered this place for replacing a 9-disc and 8-disc set... and POSSIBLY EVERY drat NEW CASE THAT HAS A lovely MIDDLE.

V annoyed that it seems like I've had a rash of cases where the middle spoke is like... a couple millimeters of depth short of actually catching the disc. So they fall right out when you open the case.

It's awful.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

Perhaps, BUT LOOK AT THAT PACKAGING!

New thread title.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

If you didn’t support DiabolikDVD during their sale by buying Tremors 4K, it’s on sale for $28.10 on Amazon! BBY will match as well!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

ringu0 posted:

I have found it: the ugliest / weirdest steelbook. Only @ BestBuy

Lol. I’ve had this on my save list for months and it finally went on sale on Monday. I pounced on it. I just like that difference in opinion.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Standalone Dr. Strangelove 4K coming in July per Blu-Ray.com’s database. Which means the rest in that Columbia collection will likely be coming soon.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I mean, this is speculation on my part but that movie was specifically one of the collection that I was interested in and it's not like it was gonna stay exclusive. So yeah, fingers crossed!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Lol that blu-Ray.com rates Super 8 as a 5-star movie. It’s so like everything JJ Abrams aside from like… the M:I movies and Cloverfield. Just so derivative and boring. So much lens flare. Nothing wrong with it but it’s just funny that it’s 5 stars all around basically.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

2 is whatever and has an outright skippable episode. But 3 is a lot of fun and contains some good body horror. I really hate that Netflix hasn’t put out a UHD of it because I bet it would pop so much more with a full bitstream.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I just remembered we’re owed a Heat UHD!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Episode 9 Johnson cut when

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cacator posted:

Any news on that Heat UHD that was supposed to come out this month? I've read it might be a Germany only release but can't find any more info about it. I want it nooooooow

Lmao, I remembered that over the weekend too.

My Django 4K set got delayed by BBY, and their website shows a “get it by Jun 30th” prompt. I’m wondering if they’re sitting in a shipping container somewhere.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah, it looks like a 6-8 month buffer for the Limited Edition's to the Standard Editions if Tremors is gonna be the baseline.

I pre-ordered the Django UHD Limited Edition because I wasn't sure what Arrow's situation was, but it also seems moot because it still hasn't shipped lol.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Did you order it from Arrow or Diabolik? My Diabolik order came in immediately. They either do it on-time or a few weeks early. (Santa Sangre 4k box set came in two weeks early for me.)

Arrow's been a little weird about their shipments. They finally agreed to fix my order that got hosed up in shipping, and then I had radio silence for a few more weeks. I e-mailed them occasionally asking "Did this ship? Can I get a tracking number?"

They finally e-mailed me back today saying "This shipped, here's the tracking number!" and it's out for delivery today. Feels like they sat on the tracking info until they were sure it was going to be delivered.

Best Buy, but I'm seeing that apparently it was pushed to 6/1 actually. So lol on me for getting a little squirrely.

Looks like a couple 2-packs are in the pipeline from... Paramount? But I'll probably upgrade my Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Ln this way when it goes down to like... $20.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Those two movies are $10 a pop on Amazon right now.

Yeah, but… I want them in a single case.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

And my Django limited edition just shipped. Honestly though, I might return it and grab that standalone. I mainly want the movie and I’m not the biggest “extras” guy these days.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

LOTR 4k down to $71 on Amazon, price-matched by Best Buy. I was on my last day of price match and got it!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Best Buy is doing just fine. Their stock is better than it’s ever been, and a reminder of how I hosed up a loooot of money. I worked at BBY and just made lots of dumb financial decisions w the stock that I had, along w the stock I didn’t bother to grab. Would have a nice nest egg if not for all that. Ah well.

I worked for BBY from 2005 to 2017, so I like talking this kind of stuff. The media sections have been shrinking since 2008. That’s around the time digital music was juuuust starting to pick up, so a bit of consolidation with CDs. And then movies and video games had a big overhaul. 2008 is when they introduced all the media setups for social games like Rock Band or Guitar Hero or the PS Eye Toy or whatever.

The store I started at used to be 50% media and is maybe at like 15%. And that’s including video games. Music is gone aside from maaaaybe some vinyl but I don’t think they even do that anymore. And then movies is a weird mix of DVD, Blu-Ray, and 4Ks. My go-to spot is the 2nd flagship store Best Buy has in the Twin Cities, and I stopped finding fun deals physically by around 2017. Some of that comes from me getting bored w new releases. But I really like their online presence and as I’ve mentioned, I’m a maniac about a price match!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I owned Evil Dead on UHD and still bought the Evil Dead 1+2 UHD Steelbook to have everything in a single case, let alone a decent steelbook, let alone one with great art!

It's not a revelation, but both look great. I mean, film really owns that format. Just watched the Tremors UHD with my gal (her first time seeing it!) this week. Just a great transfer, even if it was a little grain heavy at times. But drat if the Graboids didn't seem that much grosser.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Seems like there's some kind of Shout/Scream Factory sale on Amazon, looking at Blu-Ray.com

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Is that Event Horizon by Shout worth grabbing for $20?

My understanding is that it will be the definitive edition barring a 4K UHD release.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m still gonna hold out for individual releases of Lawrence and Taxi Driver. I got enough content, I’ll endeavor to watch their best versions whenever it’s convenient.

I’ll be interested to see how Taxi Driver and The Social Network turn out.

Taxi Driver due to the original elements, I know they did a 4K scan years back but we’ll see how it scales.

The Social Network due to being digital and if there’s a finished 4K or if it will be an upscale. I’d be surprised if it’s the latter due to the red carpet treatment here, but it’s also a digitally shot and finished film from like… 2011?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It would be nice if SOME big budget guys would shoot on film with the future in mind. I understand the benefits digital brought to cinema in terms of accessibility. It’s way cheaper overall, and nowadays can look amazing. But drat, film just has that much more information available. Also, really sick of the digital look.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I saw “Terms of Endearment” on Sunday w my mom. Part of a Polly Platt series, she did production design on this film. It’s not remarkable cinematography or anything, but I was struck by the relative uniqueness of the lighting and film. Kinda soft. Very 80s but not… explicitly so, if that makes sense?

But I contrast that in my head with every movie looking the same now, aside from some kind of digital coloring filter.

As silly at is sounds, but as others have echoed, I really appreciate what UHD brings to the plate. I think it takes those older films to a truly cinematic home experience.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I will say that BR2049 was definitely one of the better new releases I’ve seen in theaters in the last 5 years. Very epic feel to it, like 60s epic films, where there are huge set pieces and a real sense of scale. It seemed much larger yet claustrophobic, whereas the city in Thor: Ragnarok feels… empty despite all the stuff happening.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

That dumb-rear end Jeremy Renner vehicle "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" is getting a 4K but still no Godfather, no Aliens, no standalone Lawrence.

what are theses choices. who is like "oh we need to reissue this in UHD"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

ultraviolence123 posted:

Their site was open like five minutes before the sale started, but they had strict rules not to order anything until it starts or they would cancel yours, which they did to me last year. Of course the site broke immediately, I eventually just gave up and went to bed, as I have in-person meetings today at work and need my five hours of beauty sleep. My wife knew I was mad, and since she's a vampire who stays awake all night, so she kept trying and managed to get everything I wanted, only separately instead of via a bundle, and no book, although she then found it available at the publisher's website, in English, and bought that too. So she's amazing and I love her and I really hate Severin's website.

Marry that woman…. Again!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Ordered Willy Wonka UHD per Blu-Ray.com's review. Sounds like a substantial step up for the video, although the audio may have some flaws. Whatever, I just wanna watch some ridiculous colors with my man Gene Wilder. I've held off for a few years based on their review of the old BD, so I'm glad to be in this position.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

RichterIX posted:

I don't usually bitch very much about disc packaging but I got the LotR 4k set in the mail yesterday and did they intentionally make these disc spindles as shallow as humanly possible? None of the discs are damaged but not a single one was seated when I opened the box, and at least one is loose every time I open it.

This keeps happening to my various multi-disc sets. My 30 Rock is lousy w the issue.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Considering some Criterion titles, but I'm already pretty full up. Same w/ Arrow, I've just been focusing on their UHDs as they come out.

But I still grabbed Hellraiser from DiabolikDVD. I have never seen it and only know it involves a cube and Pinhead.

I'm pretty pumped!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Criterion sale is live on BN

Is it though? Just hopped on and it seems like everything is standard MSRP currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I grabbed Barry Lyndon, In the Heat of the NIght, and Anatomy of a Murder from Best Buy, pricematched B&N.