Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I had to leave my house temporarily during the California wildfires over a year ago and let me say since then I have found a new appreciation for the digital codes that often come with Blu-rays, but also a binder is looking good to me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Alec Eiffel posted:

I've run out of space for my DVDs and Blus. I'm now on a 1 in, 1 out policy. Such is wife.

What about a cd binder and getting rid of the cases???

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

CPL593H posted:

They sit in the blu-ray cases forever until one day I take the movie out see them and throw the paper in the recycling bin.

..until one year California mega-wildfires started and became a yearly threat. My modest collection, though highly valued personally, would be left behind in an emergency; I can find space for my tablet though.

After the first major fire scare I got out all my digital codes I had and redeemed them all. It sucks, digital is convenient but I still prefer physical media for movies/tv, but I try to stick to blurays that come with digital copies now.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Tim Whatley posted:

My discs appear to be fine but here's the set lol, christ

It's a knife slash from Jason himself blessing your purchase, so lucky!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Is the Kino Lorber edition (theatrical) of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly considered the best one?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Movie codes:

Tenet - 7C649SBEHB6MV690

V For Vendetta - 7NUWANZ2GJDN90J3

Serenity - UPFRF96XLTTYY3Q3 (I can't find an expiration date on the packaging for that one, so results not guaranteed)

Thank you for Serenity! :hfive: Worked on Movies Anywhere :)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

tonedef131 posted:

What’s up with these virtual movie download codes in my physical media thread :corsair:

I still prefer to buy bluray discs, but if there's no bluray/digital combo available, only having an HD digital copy is perfectly fine and I'll be on the lookout for cheap digital deals; but I also really appreciate it when a goon like Uncle Lloyd shares a code they don't want for a movie that I'd like to have available free of streaming subscriptions.

I had to be mandatory evacuated a second time last year for CA wildfires and at least if the worst happens in the future I'll have a digital copy available. Otherwise special movies I'll still buy disc only, even if there's no digital copy (or if the disc is ridiculously cheap). I don't think I'd ever go full digital like with ebooks but as an option and a backup I'm glad it's there.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Wasn't a lot of the Warner Archive media on demand printing? If Amazon is getting rid of media on demand wouldn't that also include the Warner stuff that got moved over?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Iron Crowned posted:

That's not limited to just Prime, a lot of them do it. The advertisements are crystal clear every damned time on ad based services somehow.

I would bet some goddamn BEAN COUNTERS calculated they can save some money on bandwidth from people starting and stopping one show after another trying to decide what to watch before sticking with something long enough to it to go full HD.

It's pretty frustrating and I think Prime Video is the worst of all them I've tried. But if it's a movie I really care about I probably have it on bluray anyways.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Like in every other Indiana Jones movie Indy is a skeptic and dismissive of the purported power of whatever ancient artifact he's after, and he turns to a believer by the end and that belief is what saves him; but Crystal Skull he buys it all from the beginning, it felt off.

However it has been years and years since I've seen any of them but that's what I remember not liking about Crystal Skull.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Spacebump posted:

Gravity is the most fun and I can’t believe I haven’t mentioned it in a previous post. I don’t think I could ever watch that in 2d. In 3d it was like a theme park ride.

If most of my collection wasn’t in storage I could go through and probably name a few other good ones.

Off the top of my head: X-Men Days of Future Past, Antman, Both Guardians movies, Last Jedi, and Terminator 2.

There are def some bad movies that looked great like the Transformers and Resident Evil movies shot in 3d but harder to recommend those movies.

Seconding Gravity, it was incredible in 3D. I wish I could see it in 3D again.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

david_a posted:

I do think it’s weird that they would include Blu-Ray copies but not the special features stuff. I don’t really understand the thinking behind that one.

For that matter I don’t entirely understand why so many UHDs still come with BR copies. Surely the studios could save a few cents per copy by not including a BR. I could see it at the early stage of the format, but now? Anybody still buying physical media probably knows exactly what they’re doing.

For a time I had only a DVD player but started buying bluray/dvd combos because I knew I was going to upgrade soon-ish, and some of those combos I knew I'd rather have it on bluray; and now I'm in the same position, I have a bluray player only but I'm considering buying some of the 4kUHD/bluray combos for movies I know I'd like to have in higher quality when I get around to upgrading. Only select DVD movies I rebought on bluray and the same will go for 4K UHD, so the combo packs are very convenient.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kingtheninja posted:

How do you watch paramount digital copies? I wasn't really planning on messing with anything other than movies anywhere but I've built up a decent paramount collection now. Can you use the paramount+ app to watch them?

When you redeem through Paramount’s site they may or may not give you a choice of providers, I think it’s usually limited to Vudu or iTunes.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

awesome :clint:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Hasturtium posted:

I’m still running a 1080p set I bought nearly a decade ago, and am still happy with Blu’s. A 4K upgrade is inevitable but there are a dozen things I need to put money toward before that’s going to happen, barring the TV suddenly dying, and I don’t fancy getting a 4K player when I have a region-free Blu-Ray player as it stands. It just isn’t a priority for me.

That said, I’m impressed Fright Night is getting such a great treatment. I felt like I lucked out snagging the Twilight Time release years ago - wonder what happened to bump its status in the years since. It’d still be nice to find its sequel anywhere…

I went from my old plasma 42" 720p tv to a 50" 4k tv early this year and re-watching some of my blu-rays look crazy good to me; some purchases since then have been 4k/Bluray combo packs for the future when I may get a new console to use as a player, but I don't see myself upgrading my blurays to UHD beyond select favorites.

At least the streaming services put out some of their exclusives on disc. I started occasionally buying digital a couple years ago and I'll keep rolling that dice; spending $5 for on demand access to a movie I like but not enough to buy a disc is a good dopamine hit and sometimes I actually watch the movie. Though I stay to the iTunes and amazon storefronts, I think they're the unlikeliest to close :rolldice:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I buy DVDs for older TV shows that don't give you the option, but I was surprised at how good the Shout Factory (relatively) recent-ish DVD releases for The High Chaparral looked, no bluray quality is fine for this, and DVDs are generally cheaper.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Heavy Metal posted:

I've been digging spaghetti westerns lately, rewatched Once Upon a Time in the West and Django, hadn't seen those in a zillion years. Too good. Following those up with some I hadn't seen before, enjoyed The Mercenary a while back. More Franco Nero and Lee Van Cleef flicks naturally.

Also always enjoy some crime, throwing on 80s movies like 52 Pick-Up lately, really good, maybe will watch more stuff like 8 Million Ways to Die and whatnot. Also Godzilla is always good. And I like to throw on a zany or schlocky in a good way 70s-90s type of movie, like Secret of My Success with Michael J Fox, that was a gem.

If you haven't already check out Lee Van Cleef in Death Rides a Horse

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I'm not a horror person at all but once long ago, in the before times, I caught Cemetery Man on TV and it was so weird but compelling, made me buy the DVD so I could share it with a friend; glad to see it is getting re-released, now I need to go see if I can find my old DVD.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
still waiting for Amadeus theatrical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I'd guess Napoleon is off the table too