Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
My 4K UHD Predator 3-Movie Collection came with two copies of Predator 2 and no copies of Predators :thumbsup:

Also, since I just started buying these dumb things, man am I disappointed that everything seems to come in those flimsy, recycle-logo cutout cases. Hate 'em. I will pay 10 cents extra for a real case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely the best the movie has ever looked. It's probably never going to be perfect, in this one there are a few shots where I guess you could argue they swung too far the other direction with the grain, but overall I thought it looked pretty great. Certainly any shot featuring a character's face is drastically improved.

Just got around to watching it and this is how I feel too. Worst looking 4K movie I’ve seen so far, and yet the best version of Predator I’ve ever seen so make of that what you will.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Spatulater bro! posted:

I said for years that Blu-ray would be the last physical medium, but UHD just barely snuck in there. But yeah it's definitely the last one.

The worst part is there’s going to be a ton of old movies that never get a UHD release, if they even got a Blu-ray version. It’s just the end of the line. There will never be a high quality physical version of them, which is so sad as UHD is so close to the original cinema experience.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder how long it’ll be until streaming services and ISP backends allow for UHD quality media. I’m gonna guess a long, long time. I’m sure we’ll hit a stage where some movies have no physical release before then, and image and picture quality will regress.

I think the bigger issue is that even if the bandwidth is there, the distributors and the ISPs have every incentive to throttle and compress media because it’s cheaper for them and most people don’t care. Convenience and quantity vastly outweigh quality is the minds of most consumers.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 17, 2018

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Is there still a home theater a/v thread on these dead, gay forums? I can’t find one.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
So I am finally getting around to watching The Wire (I know) on HBO Now streaming. Since I’ve recently gotten back into physical media and have been watching a lot of Blu-Ray and UHD stuff, it really stood out to me how appalling the show looked when streamed. The compression is NOT kind to that film grain. Went ahead a bought the Blu-Ray release and, man, what a difference. I think that the newer digitally shot stuff looks decent enough when streamed but older 35mm shows/movies look way better when given enough bitrate to breathe and looks like complete rear end over when compressed for streaming. Does FilmStruck stream at a higher bitrate than other services given their catalogue? They should. Anyways this show owns and is gorgeous.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I’ve got my Amazon pre-order sitting right here unwatched so I guess there are more out in the wild than just review copies.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Nihonniboku posted:

To be honest, I'm pretty shocked that two high school students would even know what that movie is. One knew it well enough to make it his favorite, and one knew it well enough to know that it's hosed up to call it someone's favorite movie.

My whole circle of friends in high school (‘97-‘01) had seen or knew about Kids.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Chris James 2 posted:

It's not about when you get in on the Vinegar Syndrome fun, just that you do :sickos:

Don't know if it's steelbook but it has the original version in addition to the director's cut https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/the-warriors-standard-edition-imprint-blu-ray-all-region-preorder/ I think it's going to be a long, long, long time before the original version is sold again by itself with extras, if you're interested in it you'll have to get it and just not select/play the director's cut version

Oh poo poo, thanks so much for posting this. I love The Warriors and despise the director’s cut. Immediate preorder, happy to finally get this.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Boinks posted:

I just watched an entire movie thinking, oh this blu ray kinda looks like poo poo, it must be because its an older one.

I left my TV's drat game mode on.

I do this at least once a month. :cripes:

Can’t set it different based on the HDMI port?

But hell I just watched half of Vertigo last night on the subpar Blu-ray instead of the spectacular 4K because I pulled the wrong disc out didn’t notice.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there really not a 4K of North by Northwest yet?

Pretty sure this is a rights issue. North by Northwest is MGM. Strangers on a Train and Dial M for Murder are Warners Bros. Those Universal sets are incredible and hope something can be worked out to release those in that series as well. Or…at all. But the existing NBNW blu-ray is pretty great, though.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Kingtheninja posted:

Shout has the jackie Chan vol 1 set listed. I'm not familiar with any of these movies (I've mostly seen a couple 80s and all 90s stuff) but I am surprised drunken master doesn't get in this.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/produc...XxoC6j0QAvD_BwE

Yeah I was surprised by what’s (not) included. I figured at least Snake in Eagles Shadow and/or Drunken Master would be gimmies. But there is literally no headliner here. Yea I’m going to buy it, though.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Abyss 4K confirmed for *calculates for actual James Cameron ETA* July 2029!

https://twitter.com/billhuntbits/status/1601790169484390400?s=46&t=HeqpIswJ8Mr3Ki27Jgy6EQ

In 24fps? I heard he’s redoing all his old stuff in 48.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
He hasn’t made a movie I’ve enjoyed since Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but I can’t help but love that fucker and I get happy every time I remember he exists.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Steelbooks with the 4K UHD banner/branding are a crime.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Basebf555 posted:

Do you mean Supercop or Dragons Forever? They were both delayed from what the original release dates were supposed to be. Dragons Forever is now Jan. 10 and Supercop is in March.

Amazon has both listed as Jan 10. I’ve had them both preordered since September but my Dragons Forever disc is estimated arrival Jan 17 and super cop is march 15!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

CPL593H posted:

Is there a Warriors blu-ray that just has the original theatrical version and isn't some expensive set that comes in a fancy box with a bunch of dumb bullshit and the version of the movie nobody wants? Region encoding is not an issue.

There's a release from Imprint (Standard and Limited Editions) that includes original cut (and director's). Looks like it's out of stock on DiabolikDVD where I bought it from, but I can still find it on eBay and from Imprint's Australian shop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134377808433
https://viavision.com.au/shop/the-warriors-1979-imprint-standard-edition/

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

edogawa rando posted:

Me: whew, gotta ease up on these Blu-ray and 4k purchases

Also me: The Long Arm of the Law set from 88 is up for pre-order? Well, sign me the gently caress up!

I will never not blind buy literally any golden age Hong Kong boutique release.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

dorium posted:

agh i think barnes and noble removed the paypal option for payment. i had money in there to use :cry:

Negative, I just used it this morning. In the US at least.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Mantis42 posted:

How many of you actually listen to commentary tracks on most of the movies you buy? I try to every now and then but I just don't rewatch movies often enough to make it that attractive. Also on a lot of the kung fu movies I collect the commentaries are just some breathy nerd with a podcast or something.

Commentaries have always been my favorite supplement, particularly from film scholars (name on Criterion discs) and directors. I've always been pretty diligent about listening to them, but lately with the proliferation of so many boutique labels offering commentary tracks I've stopped bothering for a lot of discs. As you've discovered, Hong Kong movies seem to be the worst offenders in my experience. It's same couple of nerds just hurriedly reading Wikipedia articles, listening off endless dates and related works, and often times retelling anecdotes verbatim from the site. It's honestly kind of insulting and I'd rather the just didn't bother if they weren't going to do them well.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Get in. I wonder how they are handling the special effects...

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Kingtheninja posted:

Universal announced a nice looking 4k set of the sting. Between this, sneakers, and condor we must be in the year of Redford.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid when????

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Chris James 2 posted:

Actually no! At least not between the Arrow and Shout boxsets

Arrow has two Shawscope sets (so far)

1:
King Boxer
The Boxer from Shantung
Five Shaolin Masters
Shaolin Temple
Mighty Peking Man
Challenge of the Masters
Executioners from Shaolin
Chinatown Kid
The Five Venoms
Crippled Avengers
Heroes of the East
Dirty Ho

2:
36th Chamber of Shaolin
Return to the 36th Chamber
Disciples of the 36th Chamber
Mad Monkey Kung Fu
Five Superfighters
Invincible Shaolin
Kid with the Golden Arm
Magnificent Ruffians
Ten Tigers of Kwangtung
My Young Auntie
Mercenaries from Hong Kong
The Boxers' Omen
Martial Arts of Shaolin
The Bare-Footed Kid

Shout Factory has 3 sets (so far)

1:
The Assassin
The Thundering Sword
The Golden Swallow
The Jade Raksha
The Bells of Death
The Sword of Swords
Killer Dart
The Invincible Fist
Dragon Swamp
The Flying Dagger
The Golden Sword

2:
Lady of Steel
Brothers Five
The Crimson Charm
The Shadow Whip
The Delightful Forest
The Devil's Mirror
Man of Iron
The Water Margin
The Bride from Hell
Heroes Two
The Flying Guillotine
The Dragon Missile

3:
Killer Clans
The Shaolin Avengers
The Web of Death
The Vengeful Beauty
Death Duel
Life Gamble
Soul of the Sword
The Deadly Breaking Sword
Clan of the White Lotus
Shaolin Abbot
Shaolin Rescuers

TL;DR we have a combined 60 Shaw Bros films (not counting the alternate versions included) available in HD between two companies distributed in the last ~2 years

Yep, it's great! And you missed a 4th Shout! set just a few posts up in the thread for even more

HAVE SWORD, WILL TRAVEL
THE HEROIC ONES
VENGEANCE!
THE ANONYMOUS HEROES
THE DEADLY DUO
DUEL OF FISTS
THE DUEL
THE ANGRY GUEST
ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS
THE BLOOD BROTHERS
THE SAVAGE 5
7 MAN ARMY

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
One of the only pleasures I have left my pathetic little life is having bought a Criterion disc that eventually goes OOP and listening to all the little Johnny-come-lately poser worms cry about the price of it. And then they have to go and rerelease it in 4K :cry:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

dorium posted:

it's also not really a Jackie Chan movie. Weird inclusion, but its a nice for Region A release to finally get.

It was always bizarre that they picked up the middle entry of that series, and the one with the least Jackie Chan in it. Also bummer that there's no Snake in Eagle's Shadow included, which is like the early Chan flick.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

I never understood the beef with this one. I love it. Iconic. And the way it unfolds to spell KANE? :discourse: Legit one of my favorite Criterion packages.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

ultraviolence123 posted:

The stock for Shout Factory's upcoming Ti Lung / David Chiang website exclusive boxset is starting to get low.

https://shoutfactory.com/collections/shout-exclusives/products/the-ti-lung-david-chiang-collection

Is that actual stock or just stock for the sets with the poster?

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

ultraviolence123 posted:

I think this entire set is Shout Factory Store exclusive and only the first 600 come with the poster. If you order now, no poster unless Shout feels generous (and lolol at that). I waited until yesterday to order, as it's a) $170, b) I wanted to see how long it would take to sell out. The set is down to 61 copies which means this will definitely sell out before its 9/26 release date.

$186.70 after taxes. This may be the one that breaks me, boys.

Also, I'm fairly confident that inventory countdown is just for the poster bundle, and not the 2500 copies total. Could be wrong, though.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 29, 2023

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Big Mac posted:

I see it's just the 8 discs, I assume it's a basic multi-disc snap case? Is there much to speak of for bonus features?
14 movies for $150 is a good deal, for sure, but I don't know if I'd rather just go for smaller or more boutique collections for stuff like Hitchcock. I know there's got to be great commentary and featurettes out there.

My brother have you seen what VistaVision looks like in 4K???

Also no, they use a book-like packaging with sleeves on the outside edges. One side blu-ray, the other 4k. And I think a lot do include commentaries but the only one I've listened to so far is for Vertigo.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

"4K Ultra HD (2160p) Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of both versions of the film"

Okay, that's all I really cared about. I paid like $50 for a blu of the original recently ;(. But still insta preorder for this.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Sniep posted:

drat this Kino Lorber 4K of Ronin is freaking huge, bitrate wise

Best looking 4K disc I've yet seen honestly. 90's 35mm --> 4K UHD is the best looking stuff in general in my experience.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 16, 2023

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Finally bought the Apu set to complete my Satyajit Ray collection last sale :cry:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Picked up The Trial, but I have to ask...does anyone know why so many Criterion 4Ks are lacking HDR or Dolby Vision? Pretty much most mainstream discs have one or both, but a lot of high-profile Criterions lack it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

LionArcher posted:

Got the Oppenheimer steel book. Pretty stoked for one of the last Best Buy exclusives.

Went to go check this out and apparently the Lawrence of Arabia 4K Steelbook was in stock and I bought it for 30 bucks! Waiting for them to cancel the order as I've been wanting this forever.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Pigma_Micron posted:

Yeah, I don't think I've seen any of their b/w movies having HDR of any kind. I've seen some amazing looking discs that advertise HDR, but I have no idea if that has more to do with the resolution or the compression of if HDR actually matters a lot with digitized black and white cinematography. It would be tough to do an apples-ish to apples-ish comparison with HDR and non-HDR b/w discs.

Citizen Kane does, thankfully. But yeah B&W with HDR is wonderful. Another big omission to me was no HDR on In the Mood for Love 4K (WKW Oops All Green Edition or not).

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dragons Forever rules because Yuen Biao rules

A man of taste and distinction.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
TMNT 1 is way near to the top of my 4K wishlist.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Hitchcock 4K Vol 3 is out now and I don't know why it's so expensive (69.99) on Amazon. You can get it for 47.40 shipped free on Gruv with code SIGNUP20.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Why do all these Hitchcock collections never include Strangers On A Train?

The new Rope restoration sounds great though.

The answer to all Hitchcock questions like this is always a rights issue. He worked for a lot of different studios. This is a good set to fill in some big gaps that won't appear on the Universal sets (albiet blu-ray only): https://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitch...sr=8-16&x=0&y=0

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Origami Dali posted:

Do those ever get standalone releases? I’d love Rope on 4K but don’t really want to buy a whole set to get it.

They are all available as singles right now: https://www.gruv.com/category/alfred_hitchcock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

pwn posted:

Universal's retail presence

And lowkey a great place to find a lot of good 4K deals in particular.