Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Fast series is Universal as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CelticPredator posted:

Gravity Falls Blu Ray shipping soon!

Mine's already shipped. Supposedly getting to my house on Saturday. Not holding my breath, though.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Cloks posted:

Just got an email from Filmstruck/WB with a code for five movies on movies anywhere:

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD • CASABLANCA • KING KONG • SINGIN' IN THE RAIN • A STAR IS BORN (1954)

Seems like they're sending them to former subscribers.

This goes for anyone that subscribed, apparently. Check your spam folder. I hadn't subscribed since last year, but I still got the code.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

david_a posted:

Something comes with an HDMI cable?! I don’t think I’ve ever gotten one for “free.”

There are versions to HDMI cables but as long as you get one of the “high speed” ones you should be good.

Good PC monitors will come with an HDMI cable. (Of course really good monitors will come with a DisplayPort cable, but that's another story.)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Easy Diff posted:

Realistically, how many "K" is just 35mm original film? When will the number of Ks in our discs be higher than is detectable as a difference from straight cinema?

I don't ask to troll, only to know when I should start buying physical media again to avoid double-dipping.

Theoretically, a 35mm film cell is 87 Megapixels, or about halfway between 8K (33Mp) and 16K (133 Mp). There's more to it than that, though, so I'd say you'll still be able to see improvements in every digital format until 16K, and maybe even beyond that for movies shot in 70mm.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/film-resolution.htm

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna try seeing it in the theater

They're showing the R rated cut as a part of a horror film festival at my local Alamo Drafthouse.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whatup, fellow Graveyard Shiftee

...no?

Who am I kidding, already got our badges for the 17 (or more) films in four days.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Yup. 17 movies at least, maybe 19, and starting off with Zombieland Doubletap.

Anyway, though, Tammy and the T-Rex.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Alec Eiffel posted:

What’s the best, most affordable 4K player?

Xbox One S?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Stingwing posted:

Wonder Woman: HT929CT7WMFW

Somebody already sniped this one. Thanks for the effort, though.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My friends and I are in a horror/cult film club that lets you program a movie for the theater to show after a set number of visits. My buddy chose Freaked and the audience reaction was pretty great.

My movie was Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight. :clint:

Alamo Drafthouse Houston? My wife was the weirdo that picked The Voices.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I think that's the goal with the "Series" branding. They're probably going to do incremental upgrades going going forward within the letter sku, and only doing a dramatic overhaul of the system specs for a new letter cycle. But no matter what, it'll all be the "Xbox Series"

Of course, this all goes to poo poo if the Series doesn't hit, or it does hit in a modest to moderate scale but an executive gets bored and wants to shake things up.

We'll see the Xbox Series Z at some point in about 3 years. Mark my words. "Z is just as good, in fact is two more than X."

/unexpectedfuturama

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CPL593H posted:

Wasn't the fall of Blockbuster largely because the CEO scoffed at the idea that people would want to rent movies through the mail so he just ignored that as a threat?

Well, he also turned down the chance to buy Netflix in 2000 in its entirety for $50 million USD. You know, the company now with a $223 BILLION market cap.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Shiroc posted:

Hello Goons (lurkers don't look). Digital codes here:

Godzilla King of the Monsters
7S0H3LKUPBQWB136

Into The Spider Verse
34PJ 5A3R FVGE QLY5

Ghost In The Shell
C86ED719GZ7MPWD7

Aladdin (animated)
AL4YX2A54XM

Gremlins
71NKGAZ6KE54J1Z6

Grabbed King of the Monsters. Thanks!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Mister Kingdom posted:

I grabbed this from Amazon for $148.

Same here. Mine's even out for same day delivery.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The first player I just got from Amazon wouldn't read discs at all. They overnighted me a replacement and it's read every disc I've thrown at it so far.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CPL593H posted:

How is TCL as a brand? It seemed like they just came out of nowhere but they also seem fairly popular.

TCL TVs with a built-in Roku are a good value (we have a 55" 5-series) but the ones with Google TVs have had issues with their software lately. They're not spectacular, but for the money they're not bad.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

That specific error code points to an issue with the Xbox reading your disc. You might try to clear persistent storage, see if it helps. If you know the disc works in other players, and you know the Xbox works with other discs, it might be something cached in there.

Press the Xbox button on the controller.
From the Home screen, select Settings.
Next, select Console.
In the Console screen, select Disc & Blue-ray option.
Under Disc & Blue-ray section, select the Persistent storage option.
This will clear the Persistent storage.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Cemetry Gator posted:

It seems as if Disney hates money.

"Hey Disney, you know this stuff that sells well and makes you money?"

"Yeah, we don't think so."

That money is probably so inconsequential to their overall bottom line that it's a rounding error. The legal work to get all the licensing squared away probably costs them just as much as they make from the sales. Physical media to the Mouse is just an antique, a throwback to the days of yore... We won't even be able to get UHDs of new releases within 5 years.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Sirotan posted:

Top Gun: Maverick is out on UHD today but my Amazon order isn't scheduled to arrive until November 9th. :negative:

My Amazon order for the 2-pack with the original is scheduled for a day later than that. :sigh:

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t care crank is the best movie and I’ll quad dip that all day

Now do a fancy crank 2 set

Why not a fancy 2-pack?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Casimir Radon posted:

I don’t care a lot about slipcovers. But it does kind of annoy me that that all the rest of my Vestron Blu-rays have them except Class of 1999.

You can get a copy of that disc with the slipcover for 29.99 on ebay right now.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Resident Evil movies are far from good but they're entertaining as hell.

There we go. The actual correct take. Fun bad.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

checkplease posted:

“Archive commentary for Conan the Barbarian by John Milius and Arnold Schwarzenegger”

First Conan is a classic and has one of the best musical scores. Second film is less good, though I haven’t watched Destroyer in a while.

Destroyer is the perfect AD&D 1e movie. It feels like a damned adventuring party in an old school game.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

They're also ending the Disney Movie Club. Not sure if this is also going to kill Disney Movie Rewards or not, but I would assume so. :(

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Lumbermouth posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1762868433496985969

PT BARNUM SAID IT SO LONG AGO
THERE'S ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE (boutique 4k collectors)
NOW YOU KNOW

My wife is the sucker that will demand I buy this for her. I am the sucker that will actually spend the money on it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Matinee really is a wonderful little film. It stuck with me so much more than I expected. If I have room I'm sure I'll end up with the 4K sooner rather than later.