Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This is a nice new thread. Is it possible to get a digital media thread about stuff like newest netflix poo poo and itune uploads. Mostly since I buy physical for movies, but prefer the tv show side of digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My first dvd was Space Balls. Thought I ordered it on Amazon in 2001 or so but the earliest entry there is Willy Wonka the widescreen version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since the digital thread I made died, what up with itunes sales lately? I want to buy some tv shows digitally there, but the past few months it been the same poo poo over and over going on sale. Just constantly ever few weeks a sale on the DC CW tv shows or Archer then some random season ones of shows.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Liar Lyre posted:

Couple of Shout titles for October.

The Man in the Iron Mask
The Wasp Woman
The House on Haunted Hill (1999)
Dragnet

That's awesome. House on Haunted Hill was the first dvd bought in my family, as my sister bought it. I still remember the dvd being one of the old cardboard cases.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I been watching a lot of his video since they were linked a few pages ago. I want to find more Youtube channels like him or My Life in Gaming.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

Go one more movie in the series and I'll cave.

Think Evil Dead 2 is rumor to come out around that time too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been digging the 90's Outer Limits lately, so I decided to just buy the series on DVD in case Hulu removed it before I finished my series watch. It arrived today and oh god have I made a poor choice. Of the seven season sets, five use two of the absolute worst case designs I have ever seen.

This monstrosity is used in all but one of those sets. If you can't tell, each disc is supposed to slot down onto those plastic spring arms (half of which are already broken, naturally) and then clip behind little overhangs on each side. In every case that used this design, the middle disc had slipped out of the overhangs and caused the front disc to actually bow outwards. I have no idea if being bent outwards all through shipping actually hosed up those discs or not. Can't wait to find out!

The other case design has that old early-00's standard - thin plastic hinges and useless push tabs! Both hinges are already broken.

What the hell, Canada :argh:

Ugh, I remember that awful case design for Back to the Future Trilogy. Felt like I was going to break the disc getting it out.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow I finally found The Prestige on 4K at Meijer’s of all places.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

Aw gently caress. The next gen vidjas better all do 4kUHD drives because I really don't want to loving but a dedicated player for that poo poo.

I rarely use it for games, but the XBox One S is a really good UHD player. And it usually under 200 a lot of times so it not that pricey either.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

EL BROMANCE posted:

A remote is essential because using the controller for movie playback if you need to pause every so often is a headache. Also mine had issues playing a few Bluray/UHDs I have, and now the drat thing won't turn on at all. I don't use it to play games either, but I have the EA subscription thing cos it's cheap and I want to play some NHL!

Absolutely get a remote. I got this remote that is pretty nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Media-Remote-Control-Blu-ray-Streaming/dp/B01GOK34SO

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Casimir Radon posted:

One of the things I miss from the early 2000s, and trust me when I say that's a short list, is even the most forgettable movies still got assloads of special features on the DVD. Unless it was some Walmart bargain bin shot you'd get something.

Man when DVD was start starting I would watch extras all the time. Now I haven't watch them in years, even the deleted scenes. Probably blame the Criterion Rock release, as I figure to watch the commentary for this action movie I like and it a very depressing one talking about how easily we can all die if the virus stored ever get out.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Between stuff like this and the internet providers trying to limit download speeds is what will keep this from completely replacing physical media. It easier with music when they are not that large of size compare to a 2 hour movie in 4K.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nah, Child's Play 3 is really bad. there's a reason why Bride pretty much pretends it didn't happen.

Thought it didn't since Chucky sewed together appearance is after his encounter with the fan at the end of 3?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Isn't Bluray.com the place where people are obsessed with slipcovers on movies?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Boinks posted:

These slip covers are awesome. My Wal Mart still hasn't stocked most of them though, but I was able to find Krull today. Some of them weren't slips they were just cards covering the fronts.

Wow I didn't even notice they were blurays until I saw the logo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Boywhiz88 posted:

I was tempted to do DK Trilogy 4K, but I figure by this time next year, it’ll be half what they’re selling this year and I’ve got enough drat movies to watch.

You can get all three for 40 right now on Amazon if bought together.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How in the world they able to sell this and not get shut down by Disney? They killed a man for painting Mickey on their daycare wall.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just got a 4k tv! I'm thinking about getting slim Xbox One as a 4k Blu-ray player pretty soon.

Are "4k HDMI cables" just snake oil? Would the one that comes in the box be fine?

I honestly never had any issues using any old HDMI cable on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and getting 4K and HDR working.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Homeybeef posted:

Thanks! This is a great movie and I've been wanting to watch it again to see if there is any kind of foreshadowing to where it's going.

For something way less subtle and clever but still pretty fun, heres Teen Titans Go to the Movies: 7TN6LP7QY7LR4PB0

And a Grinch took that one without saying anything.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

When my ex-wife first bought our house, this was above the toilet in the ground-floor bathroom:

First order of business after we moved in was to get that loving thing off the wall.

Never get any blood in it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does not apply for to Disney on iTunes as it will be hd there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope UHD doesn't die off quick. Between having a data cap on my internet, some movies (Disney) don't have 4K options on itunes, and the fact movies can just ranomly be removed from itunes and replaced with a pity rental makes me just rather stick with physical media. Plus I just like owning the movies still, as when I bought a bunch of movies last year using the Vudu disc to digital feature, it didn't feel all that special when compared to physically buying the movie.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How come Amazon doesn't have a page that lists all 4K UHD movies they got. The page for UHD pulls up a page with information, but clicking the link with list of movies always gives you the generic "three for 40" sale that been going for ages.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't ordered a 4k from Amazon yet, but if it's like the Blus, you'll usually end up at the DVD page first and have to select the Blu from that page, I can't imagine it's much different for 4k.

I feel like their movie selections are purposely obfuscated to convince you to subscribe to Amazon Prime, because the streaming selections are the easiest to find.

:emptyquote:

I mostly bought UHD from Best Buy or from Disney Movie Club. I do find it hilarious if I decide to get Little Mermaid, Wreck the Internet, and Captain America 1 on 4K from there, it actually ten dollars cheaper ordering the combo with Little Mermaid 2 on bluray then without it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I unironically kind of love how Disney uses the Vault as a way to sort of informally say which movies the current management cares about.

They care about it? Prepare to pay significant amounts of money and possibly have a hard time even finding the drat thing. They don't? It's probably in the five-dollar bin at Wal-Mart, or packed in with something they do care about, in a bundle that indicates that they see it as having negative value.

When was the last time Fantasia been out on bluray?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the romance one with the floating head that trying to fly away.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even if UHD doesn't really take off and dies out after a few years to Digital, the fact most movies comes with codes for 4K digital codes means there isn't too much of a risk buying into the format.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Amazed nobody ever did this with Madden copies.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Bond Girl choice in Diamonds Are Forever is so baffling. She looks like the lady from Space Mutiny.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can't find the full version of this bootleg release for Die Another Day (picture is from Ashen's Pirate DVD Showcase), but movie would been better if it was this plot.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Neat new Techmoan video on some VHD demo discs he acquired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLwAwIfZT4
The good stuff starts 13 minutes in.

And this is just part 1. Also do find it hilarious that a lot of this video was in a skit he did with the puppets kickstarting a robot.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think Amazon still has it for 15 dollars which is amazing for a UHD.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I still keep the Movie Club around after getting my fulfillment done. Their VIP "buy one movie at full price, rest are 60% off" is really nice for 4K UHD. All three Captain America movies on UHD cost $74 after tax and shipping, which is still 16 dollars cheaper then buying them on Amazon and this is before tax. Their base price for UHD is only five dollars more then Best Buy or Amazon so it not that bad outside of the shipping.

[edit] That if you are going to sign up for the movie club, read the Bluray.com thread for it, as it has codes and such that reduce the required amount of entitlements.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221740

Rirse fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 27, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why hasn't DVD went the way of VHS yet?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was it Shining the one where it was full screen on dvd for some reason? I never pick it up on dvd or bluray so I don't know if that carried on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney just announced 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.... as a Disney Movie Club exclusive. :rolleyes:

They've been sitting on a 4K restoration since 2013 and it's going to be bare-bones despite both the laserdisc and original DVD being absolutely packed with supplements.

If anyone needs help getting it, I still have a Club membership as it has really good prices on the UHD.