Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Talking Simpsons is two lovable dorks, Bob Mackey (who you might also know as a SA front page writer!) and Henry Gilbert, as well as various guests, digging into The Simpsons, breaking down the time each episode aired in, every single reference you never got growing up, and further - they've been carving their way through former and current staffers with interview bonus episodes, dives into the original Tracey Ullman shorts, and three extra series and counting. The boys have polished off The Critic, the bastard sibling to The Simpsons, with its own sub-series, Talking Critic, just launched a new show called What A Cartoon, exploring the history of animation with one episode per series to highlight its strengths and weaknesses, and are following up TC with Talking Futurama, a show that, for now, is only going to hit the first season of that show before changing gears into another season of something.

But I only see some of this when I go searching?!

Well, that's because half of those shows are behind a pretty generous Patreon paywall - Talking Critic and Talking Futurama are back there and stay there thus far. TS/WAC come out a week ahead there without ads, but air for free each week as well.

Why aren't there more links here to make this easy on me?

At the moment there's some hosting hiccups and I can't tell which ones are old or not (it's probably incredibly obvious I'm one of those hoi-polloi patrons and just use that feed). I'll have those up within a day or so when I can find the rest of the public feeds.

Loose poo poo I need to clean up later:
Talking Futurama episode about the pilot (free to all)
The gang doing an SF Sketchfest panel, joined by Dana Gould - the quest to discover The Most Pathetic Man In Springfield
The boys discuss Duckman, if you want to hear the weird prototype for What A Cartoon ages before that came about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
If you're desperate to get any older episodes not on the feed you can dig through the Laser Time blog posts to download the ones you want.

http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/category/talking-simpsons/

But who knows how long they may stay on the site with the Laser Time/Talking Simpson's separation.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

oh drat i didnt know they were only doing the first season of futurama

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Kly posted:

oh drat i didnt know they were only doing the first season of futurama

We can circle back and do more at some point, but ultimately the purpose of these "mini-series" is to do the full run of a short show, or one season of a longer running show. We only have so much bandwidth between two people and if we committed to all of Futurama, we'd be signing ourselves up for a five-year plan. Doing this extra content as mini-series lets us take a break between these production-heavy shows, and is appealing for Patrons who are waiting for us to talk about King of the Hill, Clone High, etc.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

bobservo posted:

We can circle back and do more at some point, but ultimately the purpose of these "mini-series" is to do the full run of a short show, or one season of a longer running show. We only have so much bandwidth between two people and if we committed to all of Futurama, we'd be signing ourselves up for a five-year plan. Doing this extra content as mini-series lets us take a break between these production-heavy shows, and is appealing for Patrons who are waiting for us to talk about King of the Hill, Clone High, etc.

I keep checking the patreon to see if you hit the goal to start another season analysis pod, I need more content!! Looking forward to each of the What A Cartoons getting a season-length pod down the line.

Also, while you're here---your pod seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train, why are you so popular?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm not a Ren & Stimpy fan but the recent episode of What A Cartoon reminded me just how much of a masterpiece Stimpy's Invention is from top to bottom. i don't think Ren & Stimpy is bad, from an outside perspective it seems like some of the best cartoons ever, I just don't like all the gross-out stuff. But I'll put that aside at least for Stimpy's Invention.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I started listening to the show in May of '16 when I went on a long solo road trip and have been subscribing to the patreon for a while now! I wholeheartedly recommend this show and giving these people money!

However, I think you all need to rein Henry Gilbert in a little bit. He talks over people and has a tendency to turn almost any subject into a long, almost entirely unrelated story about his personal life or his childhood. I'm not sure if it's getting worse over time or I'm becoming slowly more and more annoyed by it. He's a nice guy and an integral part of the show, I just don't need to hear 5 minutes about how he went to the mall once 20 years ago because somebody mentioned pretzels.

Otherwise, again, it's an excellent show! I only hope that the King of the Hill episode of What A Cartoon! doesn't mean that you will never do a season of Talking King of the Hill. I'm probably one of the only regular listeners you have who prefers King of the Hill over Futurama, though I do love both.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

King of the Hill is a very likely candidate for our next mini-series.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

However, I think you all need to rein Henry Gilbert in a little bit. He talks over people and has a tendency to turn almost any subject into a long, almost entirely unrelated story about his personal life or his childhood. I'm not sure if it's getting worse over time or I'm becoming slowly more and more annoyed by it. He's a nice guy and an integral part of the show, I just don't need to hear 5 minutes about how he went to the mall once 20 years ago because somebody mentioned pretzels.

I actually love this aspect of the show - your recent story about how Columbine for example, Bob (sorry you went through that, by the way). The Simpsons and Futurama aren't just funny, goofy shows to me but things that are actually deeply personal and meaningful to me so I love to hear about how you guys relate to them as well.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bobservo posted:

Wingo man!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Season 1 of koth, much like simpsons season 1, kinda suck

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

bobservo posted:

I want this to happen just so it can be called TalKing of the Hill

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
it's insane and frustrating how within 5 minutes of chapo trap house guesting on Talking Simpsons, there's a lovely joke about suicide and the word "bitch" thrown around for no reason. That's not what I came to Talking Simpsons for.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
They say bitch on the show the Simpsons several times, and Moe tries to kill himself two or three times every episode

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's a difference. I'm a far-left dude, I just find the Chapo Boy's humor crass and a poor fit for Talking Simpsons.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

it's insane and frustrating how within 5 minutes of chapo trap house guesting on Talking Simpsons, there's a lovely joke about suicide and the word "bitch" thrown around for no reason. That's not what I came to Talking Simpsons for.

DoctorWhat posted:

There's a difference. I'm a far-left dude, I just find the Chapo Boy's humor crass and a poor fit for Talking Simpsons.

ahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Bob seeing as you've been having so many Giant Bomb folks on your podcast lately would you ever consider reaching out to Jeff Gerstmann for a Retronauts appearance? It's such a perfect pairing and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

:gary: lol

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
By the way, is that Chapo episode available anywhere?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

By the way, is that Chapo episode available anywhere?

five dollars on the TS patreon or wait for next Wednesday

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah actually I was really wary going into the episode because of this and I wasn't pleased by that. Seems to ease off as the episode goes on, but yeah, I was pretty uncomfortable about this and it hurt the episode a lot for me. Part of what I like about TS is the absence of things like casual misogyny.

(It's really unpleasant in the occasional times when the Simpsons itself does this, too.)

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Ha, lotta shithead goons going on the ol' ignore list ITT. I'm pretty checked out of The Simpsons myself and I give nostalgia no value whatsoever, so the entire draw of this show is digging up info on things I never knew were references, and the well-informed leftist look at how a decades-old piece of media holds up. Chapo guys hitting all the sourest notes of an edgy 90s Fox cartoon is a legit concern and a drat good reason to skip an episode.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
What

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

george hw bush is a bitch, feel free to ignore if you disagree

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

Chapos good, this was a good episode, and on an unrelated note I'm real pumped about the new Patreon goals!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Chapos good, this was a good episode, and on an unrelated note I'm real pumped about the new Patreon goals!

:same: I've been enjoying What a Cartoon! so far. Steven Universe and Kill la Kill was interesting to hear about since I never did watch them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I had the audacity to complain about Henry Gilbert's tangents and talking over people and I was punished with the Chapo crossover episode. Those guys were just meandering every which way. Even talking over episode clips!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the talking / laughing over clips is the one sin of an otherwise cool and good episode

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

Nick Soapdish posted:

:same: I've been enjoying What a Cartoon! so far. Steven Universe and Kill la Kill was interesting to hear about since I never did watch them

Steven Universe is legitimately the best show on television you should definitely check it out! I've not seen Kill La Kill yet, but What a Cartoon is always so much fun it makes me want to rewatch or watch every single thing they talk about. I need so much more time, how do I get paid to watch cartoons.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Fawf posted:

Bob seeing as you've been having so many Giant Bomb folks on your podcast lately would you ever consider reaching out to Jeff Gerstmann for a Retronauts appearance? It's such a perfect pairing and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

I think it's definitely a possibility, but I've always been too much of a chicken to ask! Having big guests on Talking Simpsons has definitely made me more confident about reaching out to people, so we'll see...

I forgot to check in on this thread in about a week and I'm glad to see everyone enjoying the podcasts! We just hit $10000 and put together a big post about new goals and our content plans for the year. (Even non-Patrons can check it out.)

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The guests are fun but you should also know that you and Henry have a great rapport (didn't dumb it down for you) and the episodes without guests are still great

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

are there any good Futurama focused podcasts similar to Talking Simpsons? There are way more hidden jokes and references i dont get in Futurama than Simpsons and TS guys doing season 1 is great but their (understandably) limited scope is gonna leave me wanting more when theyre done

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Kly posted:

are there any good Futurama focused podcasts similar to Talking Simpsons? There are way more hidden jokes and references i dont get in Futurama than Simpsons and TS guys doing season 1 is great but their (understandably) limited scope is gonna leave me wanting more when theyre done

There's a big chance we'll circle back to Futurama, but I know there are a few other Futurama podcasts out there. I haven't listened to them, though, so I dunno if they're any good.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

bobservo posted:

There's a big chance we'll circle back to Futurama, but I know there are a few other Futurama podcasts out there. I haven't listened to them, though, so I dunno if they're any good.

Do you and Henry have a plan in mind for when you'll call it on Talking Simpsons? I feel like I've heard season 12 floated a few times as the jumping off point for a lot of people, are you thinking you're actually gonna go beyond that to the end?

Personally that's about where I called it quits, but I have kind of a morbid curiosity about what came after and almost wouldn't mind a format change at some point dropping the length back to like first season Talking Simpsons or even shorter to give out the broad beats of what happens or maybe just skip around and highlight the later episodes that are actually watchable. I know it's still a couple years off, just wondering as you edge ever closer to the declining years!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I would keep listening past that point because Talking Simpsons crew a.)actually kept watching and enjoying the show long after the point where a lot of people bailed, and b.)are seemingly the only people on the internet capable of acknowledge the weak parts of later episodes without descending into obnoxious hyperbolic fanboy rage and/or uncritically parroting Zombie Simpsons and acting like it's their own totally unique and insightful commentary. Thirty Twenty Ten has touched on episodes that aired in the 00s and them relitigating the That 90s Show episode as not nearly as bad as you remember it being was a lot of fun to listen to.

Also there's no way it could possible be worse than Worst Episode Ever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I know it's kinda insane to be all 'no you guys should absolutely keep recording this podcast for the time it takes to cover near three decades of a show' but I'd keep listening at least. The newer episodes do have good ones and this podcast is the only one I've found that can say why an episode sucks without just saying "IT'S NEW AND BAD IT'S NOT LIKE THE GOLDEN AGE THAT IS CONSTANTLY SHIFTING AND REQUIRES OMITTING MULTIPLE EPISODES ANYWAY"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
:shrug: I like the commentary well enough but I find it hard to imagine keeping my interest and passion after season 11ish and I think a lot of listeners would check out around there too. After that it's hard to lean on the impeccably hilarious writing that does a great job on keeping the listener engaged and the show loses most of it's interesting pop culture relevancy until the movie comes out.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

I think later seasons could work if episodes are much shorter or maybe like just one longer full season retrospective with an episode or two highlighting any especially good or bad episodes. I dunno though, at some point I might rather see them just spend more time on an actually good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

I think later seasons could work if episodes are much shorter or maybe like just one longer full season retrospective with an episode or two highlighting any especially good or bad episodes. I dunno though, at some point I might rather see them just spend more time on an actually good show.

Yeah, there are tons and tons of good cartoons that could warrant episode by episode breakdowns, I know they have the Critic and Futurama but things like Bojack Horseman or Rick and Morty (though admittedly that's a well worn path by other podcasts now) are possible options.