Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

JethroMcB posted:

The personal stories are some of the most enjoyable stuff for me - I enjoy hearing guests who were also "banned" from watching The Simpsons growing up; I love self-indulgent, go-nowhere stuff like Henry's Tales of the Tape because it reminds me of my own obsessive VHS hoarding as a teen (I didn't try to lose the commercials, though, I couldn't trust myself to do that properly.)

Speaking of, you got me to check in on Matthew Jay's Twitter feed and I'm very tempted to subscribe to his Adult Swim podcast Patreon just to hear their episode about MTV's Undergrads:
https://twitter.com/AdultSwimPod/status/1141453740576145408

Wow. Space Channel 5. I was all in on Dreamcast back in '99-'00.

Is there a specific thread for Matt's Adult Swim podcast? This week is Tenchi Muyo which hit me pretty hard in the mid- nineties. I have a stuffed Ryo-Oh-Ki and even watched El Hazard because it was Tenchi with the serial numbers filed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Billy Gnosis posted:

I remember way too much about undergrads for a show I didn't like and only barely watched when Comedy Central picked it up for late night reruns along with such pinnacles of Comedy as "Gary and Mike"

Hi Guuuy

For me, the peak "just watching it because it was on and it was a cartoon" show was Bob and Margaret. Why did I watch Bob and Margaret? Why?? Was it secretly good? Haven't seen an ep in 15 years but I know I watched so very much Bob and Margaret.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

For me, the peak "just watching it because it was on and it was a cartoon" show was Bob and Margaret. Why did I watch Bob and Margaret? Why?? Was it secretly good? Haven't seen an ep in 15 years but I know I watched so very much Bob and Margaret.

I'm acquainted with the creators so if anything, know that it was made by very fine people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'm really glad that bob brought up hank of the hill on the boggle episode of talking of the hill. that video has been constantly in my brain for years

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm really glad that bob brought up hank of the hill on the boggle episode of talking of the hill. that video has been constantly in my brain for years

BOGGLE

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
dallas sallad

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I reread the old posts here and want to give props to Bob & Nina for guesting on the Sneaky Dragon podcast. Great anecdotes and insights on drawing comics, recording & engineering podcasts, and justifying crossovers to Matt Groening (D&D Rules Lawyer style). The end is a bit melancholy because you discuss submitting work to MAD, which makes me appreciate podcasts as cultural time capsules

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Thanks! I know Sneaky Dragon's topicless conversation style isn't for everyone, so it's nice to know you enjoyed it. I think it turned out to be a fun episode too.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
SpaceCoyote used to be a regular poster on Portal of Evil and even did mock artwork of some of the exhibits which makes Bob dating her extremely funny since he's so huffy about policing other people's internet activity and feuding with people in the name of calling them out for being mean on the internet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

SpaceCoyote used to be a regular poster on Portal of Evil and even did mock artwork of some of the exhibits which makes Bob dating her extremely funny since he's so huffy about policing other people's internet activity and feuding with people in the name of calling them out for being mean on the internet.

Bob literally writes for the sa front page

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bob literally writes for the sa front page

on the site with Awful Link of the Day

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1149748851546316801

Cheers to Bob and Henry

Jeers to not being able to go to West

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I finally joined the Patreon and went through TalKing of the Hill several weeks ago and I think Henry burst out laughing at the clips about 66% of the time. The relative lack of familiarity compared to The Simpsons led to a wonderful air of rediscovery and surprise.

Also, merritt k's "oh noooo" at Bob's description of the "funny" wedding cake topper was another recent highlight for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How far are they on Talking of the Hill? I'm Holding out on the 10$ tier for that to be finished because I'm gonna wanna binge that asap.

Neither gave me an answer if they'll ever do bad cartoons like Allen Gregory for what a Cartoon. I'd love to hear them go over that train wreck.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

How far are they on Talking of the Hill? I'm Holding out on the 10$ tier for that to be finished because I'm gonna wanna binge that asap.

Neither gave me an answer if they'll ever do bad cartoons like Allen Gregory for what a Cartoon. I'd love to hear them go over that train wreck.

S1 of KotH is done

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
TalKing of the Hill finished in March.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh they need to update their bumpers because it still says "currently unfolding talking of the Hill".

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Oh they need to update their bumpers because it still says "currently unfolding talking of the Hill".

Need to send Bob and Henry's manager a sternly worded electronic mail message

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

TalKing of the Hill wrapped up the last week of May. If you hear us say "currently unfolding" then you're listening to an episode recorded before then. (We also record new bumpers for every episode.)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Curious about your editing style Bob: Roughly how much do you keep in from on-topic discussion audio? Getting a phone call or flubbing a line should go (and you do a drat good job there), but it seems like you cut seconds from dialogue that would have been kept in on a rawer (lazier) podcast. The audio magnitude clips up & down slightly like a Youtuber teleporting inches between takes. It's actually reassuring to notice because the product you guys create is dense while still feeling like a natural conversation, but my Editor nerd side has to ask

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobservo posted:

TalKing of the Hill wrapped up the last week of May. If you hear us say "currently unfolding" then you're listening to an episode recorded before then. (We also record new bumpers for every episode.)

Ah that's what I was wondering, as I knew you and Henry record bumpers for each show with it, so I figured it had not finished yet. Not like Futurama or the Critic weren't enough to get me in there.

You got yourselves another $10 a month patreon.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Curious about your editing style Bob: Roughly how much do you keep in from on-topic discussion audio? Getting a phone call or flubbing a line should go (and you do a drat good job there), but it seems like you cut seconds from dialogue that would have been kept in on a rawer (lazier) podcast. The audio magnitude clips up & down slightly like a Youtuber teleporting inches between takes. It's actually reassuring to notice because the product you guys create is dense while still feeling like a natural conversation, but my Editor nerd side has to ask

We edit pretty rigorously, not to the point where we're cutting out every breath and "uhh," but we do remove anything that could interrupt the flow of the podcast or reflect poorly on us. Things like pauses that are too long, flubbing a line or a joke, leaving a lingering question (Henry and I hate doing this because inevitably every comment will involve someone answering that question), pausing to look something up, sirens and helicopter noises, etc. Things have been so busy for us that we now have an outside editor that edits 3-5 episodes a month, but thankfully they're highly skilled and stick to our house rules.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

bobservo posted:

We edit pretty rigorously, not to the point where we're cutting out every breath and "uhh," but we do remove anything that could interrupt the flow of the podcast or reflect poorly on us. Things like pauses that are too long, flubbing a line or a joke, leaving a lingering question (Henry and I hate doing this because inevitably every comment will involve someone answering that question), pausing to look something up, sirens and helicopter noises, etc. Things have been so busy for us that we now have an outside editor that edits 3-5 episodes a month, but thankfully they're highly skilled and stick to our house rules.

Thanks man. The episodes with Matt & Virgil sound better than most Google Hangouts and that must have taken ages switching between audio tracks. Free joke: use your recording of Matt for that classic yelling-into-a-tin-can feel

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Thanks man. The episodes with Matt & Virgil sound better than most Google Hangouts and that must have taken ages switching between audio tracks. Free joke: use your recording of Matt for that classic yelling-into-a-tin-can feel

Henry did the editing on the Chapo episodes and I know for a fact that he spent a LOT of time on them. So it's good to see people notice!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I knew Mission Hill was one of the possible patreon series, hopefully it will be in the future.

If you do just a What a Cartoon on it, i'd recommend Unemployment part 2. There's a lot of stuff anyone who's had trouble finding meaningful employment can identify with. I also have a strong emapthy with Andy with their best friend having some fancy high paying job they seemed to have just fallen into. I have friends who are doctors, lawyers, Game developers (at one of the lesser evil companies) and other "real jobs" while i'm slaving away at service jobs.

My favorite guests you have are (in no order) Matthew J, Matt McMuscles Kate Leth (though I'm biased as I am a fellow Halifaxian and remember when she was the weird goth girl who worked at the comic store) and of course Nina. But you always get great guests, though I'm curious if you've had any problems reaching out to someone that you didn't have any prior contact with.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I knew Mission Hill was one of the possible patreon series, hopefully it will be in the future.

If you do just a What a Cartoon on it, i'd recommend Unemployment part 2. There's a lot of stuff anyone who's had trouble finding meaningful employment can identify with. I also have a strong emapthy with Andy with their best friend having some fancy high paying job they seemed to have just fallen into. I have friends who are doctors, lawyers, Game developers (at one of the lesser evil companies) and other "real jobs" while i'm slaving away at service jobs.

:hfive: I watch this every time I change jobs, except I forgot this time so thanks! It's incredible how timeless a 20 year old "modern economy" story can be

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Analytic Engine posted:

:hfive: I watch this every time I change jobs, except I forgot this time so thanks! It's incredible how timeless a 20 year old "modern economy" story can be

Yea, I saw all these in the early 2000s when I was about Andy's age so that stuff about being a shiftless early 20s person thinking this is okay when everyone else is out getting real jobs. I've always said I'm somewhere between Andy and Kevin. I am that kind of sad sack loser who has all these dreams but either can't bring themselves to chase it or can't get that moment you can take advantage of it to pursue them, but also have the super nerdy Kevin side.

But yea that episode is great for the whole thing about realizing you need a job and scrambling to find one that will pay enough, but it also has that first bit of when you're unemployed but you have enough money for the immediate future so you kind of feel like you're on vacation, being able to sleep or eat whenever you want. Part 1 is okay but I find the Kevin with the car stuff kinda weak.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm almost done TalKing of the Hill and going to hit up Spider-Verse next, but every time Bob or Henry mentions Husky Bobby I get sad because that episode is not in season one.

I also cannot stop saying Boggle.

Boggle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Husky Bobby is great right up until the message at the end, which is terrible.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

You guys need to get hegelbon on before you get past season 10 and the show just gets steadily more bleak

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pope Guilty posted:

Husky Bobby is great right up until the message at the end, which is terrible.

What was the lesson? I remember it being that teenagers are mean.

BTW, if Bob and Henry ever do Pete and Pete for What a Cartoon, PushingUpRoses is a great Youtuber and has a great video about the series. She touches on a lot of stuff that would add to any discussions.

But the stuff at the front of Company Man, Bob is completely right about the successful Small Businessman. They're all garbage, they're all power tripping, I've only ever had one boss at a small business that was a decent person.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

twistedmentat posted:

What was the lesson? I remember it being that teenagers are mean.

BTW, if Bob and Henry ever do Pete and Pete for What a Cartoon, PushingUpRoses is a great Youtuber and has a great video about the series. She touches on a lot of stuff that would add to any discussions.

But the stuff at the front of Company Man, Bob is completely right about the successful Small Businessman. They're all garbage, they're all power tripping, I've only ever had one boss at a small business that was a decent person.

The message is don't do things that you enjoy if people will harass you for it, because it would suck.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pope Guilty posted:

The message is don't do things that you enjoy if people will harass you for it, because it would suck.

Wow, that is bullshit. I forgot that was the message. That's too bad because it really is a great episode.

I had no idea there was an alternative ending for Company Man where it turned out the wife was the one actually in charge. The biggest thing I learned from the series though is that Steven Root played Bill.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
You guys have been on fire with getting other podcasters on the show. What's Travis McElroy doing in the next few months?

Pope Guilty posted:

I think it's more about making a spectacle of it in front of middle school students, AKA the meanest loving human beings in existence. The clown school episode was more or less the same thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You guys got me into WHM, it's always a great episode when you have one of them on the show with you. It's dumb but I like hearing people talk like I do with my Simpsons savvy friends where references are woven into daily conversations and it happens so organically with them. Alex and Dan from Giantbomb (also great guests) do this too but their experience is closer to mine in that usually nobody else in the room gets the references and they're more for myself than anyone else.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hell yeah, What a Cartoon finally tackled Clerks TAS and I was glad to hear I wasn't alone in thinking it still holds up (and some "Guys in their 30s wrestle with their Kevin Smith fandom" talk.) I'm sure plenty of people have already pointed it out by now but I was surprised that one half of the Retronauts did not catch the homage to Data East's Avengers arcade game during the Big American Party finale (Though now I remember Bob has said that he'd never seen a Spider-Man, so I guess that factors in.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF08jbyFMXk

The entire sequence was mind-blowing to me as a 15 year old, but that bit especially seemed impossible - They wouldn't reference a video game on TV! It's gotta be something else!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

There's aspects that don't hold up but the show was shockingly ahead of its time and even give years later would have been right at home on Adult Swim. Nobody was that meta on TV in 2000 and certainly not on ABC. "Let's make the second episode a clip show" was an amazing concept.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

There's aspects that don't hold up but the show was shockingly ahead of its time and even give years later would have been right at home on Adult Swim. Nobody was that meta on TV in 2000 and certainly not on ABC. "Let's make the second episode a clip show" was an amazing concept.

Clerks TAS always reminded me of the TV show Police Squad (and what would become Naked Gun movies with noted NFL athlete OJ Simpson). Both were ahead of the curve by ever so much but are still great to watch today.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I kinda am deeply over Kevin Smith as just a thing but Clerks TAS is still solid as hell. Like already said 'let's make episode 2 a clip show' was a good rear end bit that literally no one at the time was even near.

Plus some bits are just deeply quotable and good even alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeyU7uVOTic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pope Guilty posted:

Yea, it kind of suffered the same fate as Mission Hill. Both if they started on Adult Swim would have been way more successful. Adult Animated Network shows did not really work unless you're the Simpsons or Seth McFarlane.

I stayed up way too late listening to the Enter The Spider-Verse episode.

Started the Critic, didn't realize it was old enough to be when they were still part of Lasertime, so bonus Diana! And I guess Chris. I've completely forgotten how good of a rapport Bob and Hank have with Diana, and how perfect she is to have on the Critic because its so heavily old timey nerdy stuff and she is such an old timey nerd.

I hate to keep adding to this post, but them mentioning "why make him a film critic if you can't get enough material for that?" just made me realize, yea they kind of run out of ideas based around that. Which made me think while occupying my mind at my bad grocery store job that they should of made him a writer. That would keep the intellectual part of it, and he could have written movies that are clear parodies of real ones, and keeps the slob part. Duke could just be his publisher.

Can't lose Duke, he is the heart of the show, and Duke is Life, All Hail Duke.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 1, 2019