Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Talking Simpsons is two lovable dorks, Bob Mackey (who you might also know as a SA front page writer!) and Henry Gilbert, as well as various guests, digging into The Simpsons, breaking down the time each episode aired in, every single reference you never got growing up, and further - they've been carving their way through former and current staffers with interview bonus episodes, dives into the original Tracey Ullman shorts, and three extra series and counting. The boys have polished off The Critic, the bastard sibling to The Simpsons, with its own sub-series, Talking Critic, just launched a new show called What A Cartoon, exploring the history of animation with one episode per series to highlight its strengths and weaknesses, and are following up TC with Talking Futurama, a show that, for now, is only going to hit the first season of that show before changing gears into another season of something.

But I only see some of this when I go searching?!

Well, that's because half of those shows are behind a pretty generous Patreon paywall - Talking Critic and Talking Futurama are back there and stay there thus far. TS/WAC come out a week ahead there without ads, but air for free each week as well.

Why aren't there more links here to make this easy on me?

At the moment there's some hosting hiccups and I can't tell which ones are old or not (it's probably incredibly obvious I'm one of those hoi-polloi patrons and just use that feed). I'll have those up within a day or so when I can find the rest of the public feeds.

Loose poo poo I need to clean up later:
Talking Futurama episode about the pilot (free to all)
The gang doing an SF Sketchfest panel, joined by Dana Gould - the quest to discover The Most Pathetic Man In Springfield
The boys discuss Duckman, if you want to hear the weird prototype for What A Cartoon ages before that came about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Evil Agita posted:

Why the split. was there drama

Nobody has said anything publicly so all we have is "Chris moved in a hurry and everyone is scooting away from the cartoon smoke cloud he left inch by inch".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So I'm gonna ask in here since it's the most likely place someone will know: anyone taken a dip on the Cartoons 101 Patreon and is the bonus show on there solid? I've had a huge itching to rewatch Eva lately and that's pushing me towards it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Well this is less than fantastic news.

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1066491158929432577

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

highdea style nonsense.

This is basically the point where I checked out of this one, when it suddenly became dueling interpretations of the plot that wouldn't die. The problem is I was on the road by then and couldn't change podcasts in the middle of an hour-long drive.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really identify with Wiggum's "Oh God!" in this episode.

I think that entire Wiggum segment is one of the things I catch myself quoting most. Especially "We have a saying down on the bayou".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm real torn on this because I don't actually know where I fell off of watching the show regularly, but as of where the podcast is, I'm still recalling these episodes. I have no idea what the hell any of the above named ones are, though. I'm unsure if I want to start watching and see what's coming so I have context for the podcasts or just go into wherever the new territory starts for me blind.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
For those who are not patrons, but since I don't see it on the free feed, there's a free bonus episode about the whole Stark Raving Dad mess.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I feel like the TS curse has hit a new peak in awkwardness with today's advance episode.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hope more people vote for Mission Hill as the Fall miniseries. Show still holds up well.

Upon learning my roommate has the DVDs this is where my vote went instantly. Gives me an excuse.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm waiting on those deep dives into the Hanna-Barbera catalog.

Don't worry, another show has that covered.

Wait what do you mean it's only covering good cartoons

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder what MMO Bob and Henry saw in Vegas that never came out.

I feel like given the timeframe and who would have had a marketing budget for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Guy_Online

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Even worse, I just got there in the episode and they said MOBA dead in 6 months which opens it up to way too many candidates. Offhand I wonder if it was Nosgoth or Infinite Crisis.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I loving KNEW only Warner Bros would be dumb enough to give journalists SUITES

\/\/ Edit: I loving RAN my mouth way too SOON

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 22, 2019

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

BoosterDuck posted:

you guys are forgetting about a stone cold classic

Every time I hear the name of this without a graphic accompanying it I just think "wait, people remember That's My Bush?" and then it hits me they tried it as a cartoon too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah the wild thing is that Butch is a Doug Tennapel-tier piece of poo poo except since he wasn't the sole creative voice on his stuff you can see a lot of the day to day people snuck in plenty past a boss who might have been more controlled in his shittiness in a corporate environment.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

twistedmentat posted:

Bob keeps talking about how no one has season 1 on DVD, but I submit that yes, I have all of the seasons, including 1

Though I don't have 20 because they didn't put commentary on them. Like what the gently caress guys? That's the only real reason to buy them.

Wow, that shelf ends in a real wet fart, thanks Otomo.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I am supremely happy about your new avatar because that is a panel I constantly want to show people who don't know what I'm referencing that I could never find a copy of online.

Thank you.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Old Swerdlow posted:

He moved to LA. He’s working for Channel 101 now and has a couple of podcasts he does himself.

He is not working for C101 as of very recently, I remember him doing a blast of "UHHHHHH I GOT NO JOB NOW AND I GOTTA PAY BILLS, PATREON IS NICE"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
From ear:
Cartoons weren't frozen in the past
Every week will be an animated bash
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
Maybe a short but mostly shows
We'll talk, we'll analyze, exploring as we go
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Unpack the psychosexual nightmare that is Totally Spies.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

twistedmentat posted:

Man I'd love to hear them talk about something like Allen Gregory

Nobody should ever have to find that again, much less watch it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Old Swerdlow posted:

The Gundam Wing episode inspired me to finally finish watching the first Gundam series. And then I moved on to Zeta and remembered that most of the Gundam shows aren’t very good. Zeta is fine but there sure is a whole mountain of trash after that series.

No matter what, if you finished Zeta, make sure to watch the capstone to all that in Char's Counterattack. It's a real good send-off.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Porfiriato posted:

I guess I'm in the tiny minority of 90s-era MTV watchers that would be interested to see them polish off the short run of Daria, but I have a feeling there's no way that will ever happen for as long as there's Futurama and/or King of the Hill seasons left to do.

I don't have a lot of Daria nostalgia but this is definitely where I'm at: my vote goes to anything but those juggernauts whenever these miniseries (miniserieses?) come up because I know I'm gonna be outvoted twenty to one.

I would pay extra for Matriculating Maxx. gently caress it. I dare you to find a way to get 60 minutes of discussion per Maxx episode, much less 90+.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
...Well that's an awkward thing to see right before I was going to post "hey Bob and Henry, thanks for just keeping on through all of this, it's been real appreciated".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

YggiDee posted:

I always vote Duckman but I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't care for King of the Hill.

Same and same (although I'd take KotH over Futurama any day)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

stealie72 posted:

Smithers, have Pod Save America killed.

I feel like this whole derail was worth it for the ugly laugh I had at this post

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was watching a 5 year old episode of Another Period, an absolutely ugly, mean, super-dark comedy that I'm sure both Henry and Bob would or do hate, and there was a joke about the Harvard to Simpsons pipeline! Thank you Talking Simpsons for teaching me why that was funny.

I feel like for the sugar I remember them talking about Eagleheart that they'd be all about Another Period.

Also both of those shows are some excellent April 1 "live action cartoon" territory. Hey here's the start of my campaign to make next April's WAC! Movie into Eagleheart: Paradise Rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'll always start a WAC, the research and history on a show I don't know is a good listen and sometimes it turns me on to a show that I'm gonna look at later. I've turned a few off in the recap/discussion half if the material itself doesn't grab me, though.