Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
You know, I was never able to totally make out the lyrics to the What A Cartoon opening. Can anyone enlighten me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

END ME SCOOB posted:

From ear:
Cartoons weren't frozen in the past
Every week will be an animated bash
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
Maybe a short but mostly shows
We'll talk, we'll analyze, exploring as we go
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon
What a cartoon

Thank you! Finally I can sleep at night.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The line is "Courtesy of Fred's two feet" actually

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Catching up on What A Cartoon and it's funny to hear about the Smurfs being annoyingly pitched up. I grew up on the French version of the show in which they all just had normal voices, and the world was a much better place for it.

I know it likely won't happen, but I'd actually love to hear Bob and Henry cover the show sometime, if only to talk about the comics in the history section. I bet they'd have a ball talking about how the Smurfs' society was turned upside-down when they introduced the concept of money to it, or how their community once nearly had a civil war over petty tribalism (I think back to this comic whenever I see social media getting weirdly heated and hostile over poo poo like dogs VS cats), and, of course, DID THE SMURFS PREDICT THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY IN 1965?!? (seriously, though, he even builds a big wall)

Either that or the Flintstones. Which I guess doesn't really offer much social commentary so much as jokes about THE OL' BALL AND CHAIN and dinosaurs going "It's a livin'!" but I loved it as a kid, shut up.

All I know for sure is that if I somehow inherit a rich uncle's fortune, some of it will go towards subjecting Bob and Henry to Hanna-Barbera material that's terrible in hindsight but that I still have a nostalgic blind spot for.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Fezz posted:

I think the Flintstones is a good one to cover since it's the big prime time animated sitcom that influenced so many other things cartoon and otherwise. Could do a split episode with 80s trash, the Flintstone Kids.

All the turtles talk in this week's Talking Simpsons and I can't believe they haven't done TMNT yet. They could make it a theme month with all the reboots and the movie, not to mention that Japanese OVA or the movie.

There's so many wierd shows from my childhood that would be great episodes. poo poo like Turbo Teen, Dinosaucers, Kidd Video, Dungeons and Dragons, Captain N, all sorts, that if I had the money I'd subject Bob and Henry too. Even good things like Pirates of Dark Water. The well is truly bottomless.

Anyone else have cartoons they want the WAC crew to dissect and discuss?

The Turtles Forever crossover (in which the 2003 TMNT team up with their 1987 counterparts) was fantastic and I'd love to hear them talk about it, although the drama that prevented the original 1987 VAs from returning is souring me a bit on it in hindsight.

Outside of the Hanna-Barbera stuff I mentioned, Reboot would have been at the top of my list if they hadn't just covered it. I also hope they do Bojack Horseman eventually, even if I know Bob has mixed feelings about watching it. In a similar vein, Tuca & Bertie would be great.

As far as movies are concerned, I'd love if they did one of the Asterix movies. Twelve Tasks was my favorite as a kid, though Cleopatra is a close second. It'd also be really interesting if they did Yellow Submarine, though that one seems unlikely to win any Patreon polls (in addition to barely having any plot to cover at all).

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

YggiDee posted:

Or weird poo poo from the National Film Board of Canada. One of the cable channels used to have a late night show that was just compilations of weird Canadian animated shorts. Some of it was just, like, cute cartoons but some of it was really experimental mediums like sand-on-glass or it was the artist exorcising their own personal demons onto a film strip. I watched it when I was pretty young and it probably hosed me up a little.

Anyway I said that so I could post this:

https://youtu.be/upsZZ2s3xv8

Every Canadian over thirty just had flashbacks.

I hate you. Here's a palate cleanser(?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJl_4IsQJ2g

zari-gani posted:

Undergrads

This but unironically, I loved the show as a teen with bad taste.

Oh! I just thought of Digimon. There's likely no shortage of Internet people with Digimon opinions that they could have as a guest, too. The first and third seasons would be the obvious ones to cover, though I hear the new reboot is already way better than it has any right to be.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

God Angela Anaconda is just one of the ugliest things ever produced. I’d love to hear them talk about it

As a kid I slept on the show because the art style was so so deep in the uncanny valley, but at some point years later I got bored enough to watch an episode and discovered I had been missing out.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Fezz posted:

The podcast Cancelled Too Soon covered Tuca and Bertie fairly recently. They covered several cartoon shows that WAC has done (Bucky O'Hare) and a few that would be right up Bob and Henry's alley, like the Star Wars Droids cartoon. They cover shows that lasted one season or less and I think fans of WAC would enjoy it.

I gave a listen to a few of their episodes and I liked it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I've been watching along with Mission Hill, having never seen it before, and so far there's been a 50/50 split on which episodes I end up loving and which ones not so much. That's still a much better batting average than the Critic, though, which I just couldn't get into when they had it as a miniseries.

And either way, if you hate it, the good news is that once the miniseries is over, that'll be it for Mission Hill. :geno:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
You grew up with Teletoon? Heh. I live in Quebec. I grew up with Télétoon.

I remember the channel's first year was especially wild before it found its footing, with big draws like Donkey Kong Country in its weekday after-school block, Space Goofs during the weekends, Captain Star and Duckman on in the evening and what can only be called an abnormal amount of artsy NFB-sponsored programming at prime-time. And of course, who could forget Ned's Newt? Movie over, Genie, there's a new big blue manic pop-culture-referencing shape-shifter in town!

Its promos had a weird, kind of unsettling claymation theme to them. They just filled the space with whatever they could get their hands on and reran it into the ground. I don't recall if daily Simpsons at 9 PM was a thing from the start, but it was definitely one of the things I kept coming back for (...once I was old enough to stay up past 9 PM).

Oh my god, I just dug up the first minute of Teletoon's launch. Watch to the end to find out which show kicked things off!

I really wish I could listen to those podcasts that do a deep dive into Cartoon Network/Adult Swim's early history, because I simply don't have enough context for most of it, but if someone did one about Teletoon I'd be all over it.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

twistedmentat posted:

Doesn't Matthew J's pod cover Adult Swim from the start?

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. What I'm saying is I wish the same sort of thing existed with Teletoon, it'd be a lot more interesting to me.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Hubert Gagnon, who voiced Homer Simpson in the French Canadian dub, passed away today. :sigh: He was 73 and had had to step down and be replaced in 2017 for health reasons.

His take on the character took obvious cues from Fred Flintstone, leaning into a roughness that Dan had ended up dropping after Season 1. In this interview, Hubert says that attempting to imitate the original American voice was "out of question". The words won't make much sense to non-French speakers, but you can mostly tell what's going on based on the visuals, and Hubert speaks in his Homer voice most of the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDWOqL9wwBg

(I love the "D'oh! D'oh! D'oh!" part.)

I can't overstate how special it was that the Simpsons had a Quebecois dub to begin with. The vast majority of cartoons and movies we get around here are dubbed in either France French or what we call "International" French, which mostly consists of Quebecois voice actors affecting a French accent and carefully avoiding any regionalisms for maximum accessibility.

But the Flintstones, the Simpsons and King of the Hill took a different approach, having its mostly working-class characters speak in joual (while other, more outlandish animated comedies like Futurama, Family Guy and South Park had an International French dub). The localization effort was often fairly comprehensive, replacing the more obscure references to American personalities and locations with Quebec-specific ones (see this twitter thread, which was brought up on Talking Simpsons before). This sometimes got a little absurd, especially in King of the Hill which seems to have an American flag in every other frame. But in each case, these shows left a cultural footprint here that I doubt would have been half as deep if they had simply done an International French dub.

So, RIP Hubert Gagnon. There are many Homer Simpson voices around the world, but this one was mine.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Linking the twitter thread again for those who missed it amidst my tl;dr: https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1158910781964083201

JethroMcB posted:

I just saw this on Twitter, the gist is that people have a hard time understanding Bart's Quebecois accent/slang. In the end, instead of passively learning to speak French, he unwittingly drops his native speech patterns and transitions into speaking like a Parisian.

From accounts I've heard this sort of thing is pretty realistic. Being a Quebecois tourist in France means having to consciously drop the accent or else you won't be understood. Reactions from locals to Quebecois tourists range from "aw, that's cute, it's our cousins from the colonies" to "oh god, the snow rednecks are here, why won't they speak REAL French". A Quebecois Bart would have probably had better luck speaking English, really.

I haven't seen the France French version of the scene myself, but according to one of the replies in that thread, that one had the cop simply not care (because ACAB, presumably) until Bart realized he should have led with the "antifreeze in wine" bit. Honestly I find that scene awkward (much like the rest of that episode) in every language but it's amusing how translators at least tried to make it work.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think there was a video linked in the meme thread on the differences between the Québécois and French-for-France dubs, I believe the Québec one was localised like that, the other kept that stuff as it was.

I could go on for a while about the differences in localization as I understand them. For cultural reasons, American media dubbed in Quebec tends to be localized rather thoroughly (think Phoenix Wright in America, though Quebec dubs still tend to drop the pretense when it's unavoidable, like when Bill Clinton and Bob Dole show up) while in France they like to lean into the American-ness of the product as a feature rather than a bug. One example I find particularly striking is that in Quebec, the Hangover movie series was dubbed and renamed "Lendemain de Veille" (a literal translation for the word "hangover") while in France they renamed it, I poo poo you not, "Very Bad Trip", because keeping the title as-is didn't work for some reason, but they just HAD to use English words anyway.

The replies in the Twitter thread also mention the "See My Vest" song, which in France is left in English with subtitles, while in Quebec they actually dubbed it into "Mon Gilet". Songs are notoriously hard to translate, especially with visuals attached, and this song is an absolute master class in how to do it well and somehow keep it funny.

Anyway, for language nerds like me, the Simpsons Wiki entry on the French dubs is a fascinating read: https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Non-English_versions#French Apparently the two French versions are Matt Groening's personal favorite dubs!

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 9, 2020

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

PostNouveau posted:

It seems like Bart is a pretty easy voice, but the VAs trying to do Homer are taking just wild swings.

Dan Castellaneta is literally inimitable, so I'd say putting their own unique spins on the character was probably the best choice.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Well. See you all in the Patreon comments section, I guess.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1277770903577714688

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think the poll for WAC Movie has been very carefully calibrated to be an impossible decision - Ghost in the Shell, DragonBall Z: Broly, End of Evangelion and Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz,

Like, Ghost in the Shell probably stands best on it's own, but the DBZ films as an exercise are really interesting, along with the fact they then remade it to fold a version of the character into the DragonBall Super canon. And End of Eva is End of Eva.

This is easily the hardest poll I've had to vote in. I'd love to hear them cover all of those, especially if they could get Ian and Toby back to talk about End of Eva. That would probably end up being WAC's first two-part episode.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The last few Simpsons episodes the podcast covered have really been testing my commitment to watching along. :sigh: Though at least there will always be WAC and Talking of the Hill/Futurama/etc. as palate cleansers.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 6, 2020

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

It never wins in these miniseries votes, but I will continue to doggedly vote for Duckman like the stubborn son of a bitch that I am.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Talking Simpsons is definitely something you have to divorce from their fanbase, like Rick and Morty. I've read their Patreon comments and had them read to me, it's a bunch of awful weirdo szechuan sauce pickle rick loving motherfuckers. They give weirdos a bad name! No wonder Futurama is going to win again.

What?

In any case, I feel like the miniseries could probably just cycle through Futurama, King of the Hill and Something Else for a while, at least until Futurama starts flagging in quality or something. That seems like it'd be the easiest way to make everyone happy.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I almost feel bad for not voting for Duckman, but I gave the show a chance and it just wasn't for me. I voted for King of the Hill because I actually haven't seen much of it beyond the first couple seasons and I'd love to watch the rest along with one of my favorite podcasts.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Talk to the Audience is a pro-listen, especially if you want the exclusive scoop on what's coming up on the Talking Simpsons network!

On that note, I am SUPER jazzed for the upcoming WAC Sonic episode with Ian. It's always a treat when he's on as a guest.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

twistedmentat posted:

Though now i'm hoping for a WAC for Moonbeam City, which has a fantastic soundtrack that exposed me to Night Club.

That seems likely, considering that they've already had the creator on a couple times.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but is there a reason TS stopped doing the line of the episode?

I think they just forget to do it, it sounds like it was always a spontaneous thing rather than a planned one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Last few hours left on the Patreon miniseries poll, and it's neck-and-neck between Batman and Duckman, with Batman in a slight lead. Is Duckman destined to lose yet again? Only YOU can decide!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/vote-on-fall-54232584