Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

JethroMcB posted:

The personal stories are some of the most enjoyable stuff for me - I enjoy hearing guests who were also "banned" from watching The Simpsons growing up; I love self-indulgent, go-nowhere stuff like Henry's Tales of the Tape because it reminds me of my own obsessive VHS hoarding as a teen (I didn't try to lose the commercials, though, I couldn't trust myself to do that properly.)

Speaking of, you got me to check in on Matthew Jay's Twitter feed and I'm very tempted to subscribe to his Adult Swim podcast Patreon just to hear their episode about MTV's Undergrads:
https://twitter.com/AdultSwimPod/status/1141453740576145408

Wow. Space Channel 5. I was all in on Dreamcast back in '99-'00.

Is there a specific thread for Matt's Adult Swim podcast? This week is Tenchi Muyo which hit me pretty hard in the mid- nineties. I have a stuffed Ryo-Oh-Ki and even watched El Hazard because it was Tenchi with the serial numbers filed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Ooh, get ready though because the Kidney episode is a real lovely one. And the Scully years get worse the further in you go.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Yeah, we need more episodes about lovely Hanna-Barbera shovelware.

Like the cartoon based (very loosely) on Marvel's The Thing. Or any number of Scooby-Doo ripoffs.

Perhaps, the second greatest of the adult characters reimagined as children cartoons. A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. Muppet Babies (original flavor) is #1.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
One thing, Full Metal Alchemist was a monthly manga, which does give the manga artist a slightly less bone-crushing schedule. Granted Silver Spoon is weekly, but there are large hiatuses in there.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Might as well do Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue while we're at it. That's some I'd like to hear a deep dive on.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm a little behind, but I agree with Bob. I don't get Jackass. It never appealed to me and I don't care for it.

Also Dark City is amazing.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

JethroMcB posted:

Also all the behind-the-scenes stories about Bonkers are just ridiculous, even before the Oklahoma City Bombing plays a role.

I don't remember that part of the episode? Can you elaborate?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
If they want to do a live action cartoon, I'd recommend Get a Life. That was a very weird show. Plus David Mirkin!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I think the Flintstones is a good one to cover since it's the big prime time animated sitcom that influenced so many other things cartoon and otherwise. Could do a split episode with 80s trash, the Flintstone Kids.

All the turtles talk in this week's Talking Simpsons and I can't believe they haven't done TMNT yet. They could make it a theme month with all the reboots and the movie, not to mention that Japanese OVA or the movie.

There's so many wierd shows from my childhood that would be great episodes. poo poo like Turbo Teen, Dinosaucers, Kidd Video, Dungeons and Dragons, Captain N, all sorts, that if I had the money I'd subject Bob and Henry too. Even good things like Pirates of Dark Water. The well is truly bottomless.

Anyone else have cartoons they want the WAC crew to dissect and discuss?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The podcast Cancelled Too Soon covered Tuca and Bertie fairly recently. They covered several cartoon shows that WAC has done (Bucky O'Hare) and a few that would be right up Bob and Henry's alley, like the Star Wars Droids cartoon. They cover shows that lasted one season or less and I think fans of WAC would enjoy it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Man, Gundam Wing hit me hard. I watched the afternoon and the midnight run episodes as often as I could. This and 08th MS Team are the Gundam series I watched. They hit me right in college sophomore when I had plenty of time to watch.

Aside from Evangelion, the giant robot anime I enjoyed were Escaflowne, RahXephon, Vandread and throw back Armored Trooper Votoms.

I'd love to hear their opinions on all the stuff I watched as a teenager: Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, Kimagure Orange Road, Oh My Goddess, Love Hina ( I don't think they've done a harem anime) honestly this list could go on for a while. I should start my own podcast.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Oh man, I forgot Patlabor. The ultimate adults doings job anime. Even if that job is being a gaint robot police unit. Not to mention the movie that I must have watched as often as I watched Ghost in the Shell. Bob and Henry should talk about Mamoru Oshii at some point.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Good episode about Rocky and Bullwinkle. Just want to give a nerd reference. Ptomaine is a substance found in decaying plants and animals that was thought to cause food poisoning back then.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Professor Has an should come back when they do Fish Police as an ABC companion show.

Why was it so hard to not make an animated show for primetime that wasn't a giant turd?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Lots of Jellystone! talk on this week's What a Cartoon. If I didn't know that they were months ahead I'd suggest the new Halloween episode.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'm just sad What A Cartoon is going monthly. There's still so many cartoons out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Wow, Teen Angel. That's a blast from the past. As long as you don't cover the lovely TGIF genie show, "You Wish".

But maybe you should as all those shows got more live action cartoon as they got older.

Sad you missed My Secret Identity and Out of This World as magic sitcoms.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 28, 2022