Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

sexpig by night posted:

what a good good time for the Two Bad Neighbors episode to hit

Hi Bob, between the timing on this and the Ren & Stimpy ep of What a Cartoon, do you think your podcasts are cursed? I'll take my answer off the air.

(Love both shows, really need to get on that Patreon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Analytic Engine posted:

FYI, your stuff fills the void left by It's That Episode. Comedian Craig Rowin would watch a single ep of any TV show with his comedian/showbiz guest, though they intentionally did no research before watching. (Lots of UCB people including James Adomian)

https://thatepisode.libsyn.com/

My favorite thing about this podcast was having Seth Reiss on three times, to discuss three different episodes of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, a show that he (rightly) hated.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Bob's "I just imagined a listener in an office turning their head, their headphones popping out of the jack and their entire office hearing this Bobby's World song, and they're immediately fired" aside on this week's What a Cartoon is the exact reason I removed all speakers from my work computer on my first day there, but still sweat about the possibility to this very day.

Talking Simpsons is also pointing out to me how early the sweaty tendencies of post-peak Simpsons (celebs as themselves, broad swings in characterization from week to week, etc.) were readily apparent during the Oakley-Weinstein seasons that I have held up as the show's apex.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Driving around, listening to all the music...it was an exciting time, in a young man's life, discovering Cowboy Bebop."
I hope this is the designated What a Cartoon! thread as well, because holy poo poo did I relate to that moment this week. I laughed quite a bit at the references to/clipped discussion of Wolf's Rain (A show I was aware of, with the pedigree, but said "I don't think so" at the time.)

(Talking Simpsons, meanwhile, remains a great drat show that reminds me on a weekly basis of how much I love the drat Simpsons. Really enjoyed the animation history sidebar that brought up Ub Iwerks' multi-plane camera rig in discussion of the Chester J. Lampwick episode.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hell yeah, special guest KC Green this week! I didn't read the episode description beforehand so that was a nice surprise.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The real flaw in this podcast is that they didn't do Kentucky Nightmare as their Space Ghost episode. I wanted to listen to a massive derail over "up the chain!".

One of my favorite bits during the repurposed Willie Nelson interview in Baffler Meal was Space Ghost saying "Up the chain, Willie," matter of factly.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Please support my GoFundMe account to make Bob and Henry them do WAC The Nutshack.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Thank you, Talking Simpsons, for reminding me of the little moments I'd forgotten

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The little bit in this week's WAC about Spider-Man meeting Stan Lee in the finale cracked me up good.

"Wow, I never thought I'd meet you, Spidah-Man!"
"...GET BACK IN THE BOOK."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Ross sucked."
"Ross should be in prison."

More correct takes from the Talking Simpsons gang.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It would seem that the Talking Simpsons curse has carried over to What a Cartoon: Spongebob Squarepants creator Stephen Hillenburg dead at 57

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Gonna need Nina Matsumoto to provide the translated Japanese episode titles for the entire series now

Can't decide which I love more, "A Couple's Crisis Comes Suddenly" or "Seymour Skinner's I Love Trouble"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
KotH has a LOT of terrible late season episodes where the Theatrical Liberal Strawman of the week strolls into Arlen and causes problems until only Hank can fix things with Common Sense™.

My least favorite Futurama is A Pharaoh to Remember, because it's got some lazy "hurrrrrrrr religion" jokes mixed with the rare appearance of Jerkass Bender. I know he's always something of a jerkass, but for that episode they take away the charm of his character and just make him a relentless bastard to move the (lame) plot along. (I thought the Comedy Central seasons were pretty good.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I've thus far put off the Talking Simpsons Patreon but I'll get on it for TalKing. I really enjoyed the pilot ep in place of this week's TS episode.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Mission Hill loving sucks and I'm glad it's going to lose. May as well do Undergrads, yeech.

Hey man, it may have its flaws but Mission Hill was a very distinct show for a very distinct point in time. It was potential that went unfulfilled!

I saw a bunch of "Undergrads: The Movie" Kickstarter stickers around my town recently and thought "This is a college town...and the kids who are currently freshman were maybe not even born when this turd aired. Who is pushing for this?"

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 19, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

dsriggs posted:

IMAGINE liking Principal & the Pauper :eng99:

Principal Skinner is my favorite character and I've always loved that episode

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I was encouraged to hear Bob and Henry say "We're in it for the long haul" recently, because while I think season 9 is still pretty strong they're (relatively) rapidly approaching the point where I jumped ship as a teen and didn't give the series another look until the Movie. It's still over a year away from my demarcation of "It's Bad Now" - Saddlesore Galactica - though there's plenty of crap along the way (Sunday, Cruddy Sunday and Take My Wife, Sleaze come to mind...I'm not a big fan of Bart Carny either, despite being a Swartzwelder script.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Bob (And anybody else who hasn't seen it,) please do yourself a favor and watch Frisky Dingo. The entire series is on Hulu with a total runtime of a little over 4 hours, and it makes Archer seem like a comedy operating at half speed in comparison. The pilot is a little pokey (and can be...off-putting at times) but by the end of the second episode the show hits a stride that it really doesn't break until the credits roll on the final episode. "Skytanic" is one of the only episodes of Archer that even approaches the screwball density that Frisky Dingo operates at.

(Also, the bulk of the second season revolves around dueling Presidential campaigns and now seems...incredibly prescient in retrospect.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pope Guilty posted:

The alt - right reading of the Lisa scene is correct, which is why that scene sucks.

Oh, man, I hadn't heard of that and it's true. It starts as a funny nod to "Hey, remember Lisa on Ice" and then just gets mean. There's definitely something to that late 90's "End of History" mentality and its lingering effects.

Also, I know the hosts had a lengthy discussion about how sports ignorant they are, but even a middle school nerdlinger like me knew that the 1997 NCAA Tournament came down to the Arizona Wildcats and the Kentucky Wildcats in the championship game. It was a very timely reference for the show to make, and probably why the name only comes up in that one scene.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Old Swerdlow posted:

I know the common reputation of season 9 is when The Simpson’s began it’s downfall but I figured that it was nerds being nerds. It’s a little surprising how deficient the writing has gotten to be only seven episodes in to the season.

I said in this thread almost a year ago that revisiting the show via Talking Simpsons was making me notice the sweaty post-peak tendencies I associate with early 2000's era episodes started cropping up in "the good ones." Even recognizing that now, the Scully era has proved to be a rough transition. There are still a few good episodes and great jokes/character moments in this season, but there's also way more trash than I had remembered.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think the episode where Bart raises two lizards is the last episode of golden age quality.

Phil Hartman's final appearance. Checks out.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hi Nina, reiterating my request that you collect and translate every Japanese episode title; thank you.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hell yeah, thanks

Lisa the Skeptic and All Singing, All Dancing definitely came away better with the anime treatment

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I still listen every week, TS (and What A Cartoon) remains a staple of my morning office routine. It's been interesting to hear them getting deeper into season 9 and officially approaching "it's bad now" territory. Soon enough they'll be talking about episodes I've never seen!

Also shoutouts to Henry for making a REALLY deep cut Hollywood Handbook reference ("Beef Barnes") a while back.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The personal stories are some of the most enjoyable stuff for me - I enjoy hearing guests who were also "banned" from watching The Simpsons growing up; I love self-indulgent, go-nowhere stuff like Henry's Tales of the Tape because it reminds me of my own obsessive VHS hoarding as a teen (I didn't try to lose the commercials, though, I couldn't trust myself to do that properly.)

Speaking of, you got me to check in on Matthew Jay's Twitter feed and I'm very tempted to subscribe to his Adult Swim podcast Patreon just to hear their episode about MTV's Undergrads:
https://twitter.com/AdultSwimPod/status/1141453740576145408

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hell yeah, What a Cartoon finally tackled Clerks TAS and I was glad to hear I wasn't alone in thinking it still holds up (and some "Guys in their 30s wrestle with their Kevin Smith fandom" talk.) I'm sure plenty of people have already pointed it out by now but I was surprised that one half of the Retronauts did not catch the homage to Data East's Avengers arcade game during the Big American Party finale (Though now I remember Bob has said that he'd never seen a Spider-Man, so I guess that factors in.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF08jbyFMXk

The entire sequence was mind-blowing to me as a 15 year old, but that bit especially seemed impossible - They wouldn't reference a video game on TV! It's gotta be something else!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
In the Megas XLR episode there's a brief discussion of MTV's Downtown where it's mentioned that the series never got a proper home release...but it did, in a very low-key way! Chris Prynoski started selling the series on DVD through his Blogspot account in 2007 (and per recent comments on the post, still has them in stock.) Both his post and the DVD package make it very clear that you are buying a PROMOTIONAL ITEM that is for PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY, and that you are NOT paying Chris/Titmouse for the episodes contained on the disc. That's Viacom property, after all!

http://chrisprynoski.blogspot.com/2007/02/mtv-downtown-dvds.html

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: at the guests this week demanding to do the Maude Flanders dies episode

Heather Anne Campbell's heightening disbelief/delight at learning the details of that episode was awesome.

(Do noted turd of a series Fantastic Max you cowards)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sheen Sheen posted:

I feel like I’ve crossed some sort of Talking Simpsons Rubicon because I don’t remember this kidney episode at all and I feel like I was still watching the show religiously at this point in time

Soon enough I’ll get to learn about hundreds of Simpsons episodes that I didn’t even see!

Probably lack of repeated exposure from reruns? I was also still a regular viewer and I know I watched all of these episodes as they aired, but I almost certainly haven't seen them in the 20 years since. Once the DVDs were available and the real clunker episodes started hitting syndication I stopped watching the weeknight repeats on my local Fox affiliate.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I'm getting caught up on past episodes...In "Lisa Gets an A" I really relate to Bob calling out the Kahlua ads during Sci-Fi Channel-era MST3K. I remember thinking at the time that every commercial break felt like a string of spots for liqueurs, Heineken and baby products. Clearly, somebody in the ad sales department had decided the target audience for this cow town puppet show was new mothers with a drinking problem.

Also :lol: at this exchange in the Real Ghostbusters ep:

"I don't like that baby stuff, I'm a big boy; I'm 9."
"I need dark stories about Hell, and death."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've watched all the episodes of Mission Hill lots of times I just don't think it's good. I'm sorry for being a crank about it though, it's a sweet show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjbbVK6Hkcc

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The use of SC2K music in the Dr. Katz episode :discourse:

I've seen that commercial with the Dom Irrera "Calling nuns 'My Man'" bit I don't know how many times, to the point that it's long been the only thing I can think of when Dr. Katz is brought up, and I'm very confused as to how that happened. We had Comedy Central when I was in elementary school, but we moved in '94 and our new cable provider didn't carry Comedy Central until '99. I can't imagine the Squigglevision™ cartoon at 10:30 on Sundays merited a full spectrum "Call your cable or satelite provider" ad push in 1995. Maybe one of the MST3K episodes I downloaded from KaZaA in college didn't have the ads cut out...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Do a stunt where hitting a new Patreon dollar/subscriber goal guarantees the WAC "Edgy Month from Hell." Drawn Together, Allen Gregory...Striperella and Gary the Rat...Gary and Mike...that episode of Nutshack about appropriating black culture...

Also fuckin' A finished the Dr. Katz episode and they dragged Friends (and more specifically, Ross from Friends) again, Bob and Henry are heroes

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Lil' Bush, a show brave enough to start right around the time that W was entering his lame duck period, and ended just before he oversaw the economy cratering

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PostNouveau posted:

An episode from that season of Ren & Stimpy where they were on Spike TV and uncomfortably sexual.

I thought about consolidating that into "The Spike TV Adult Swim knock-off block" but I think we're all ready to move past John K at this point

(The Games Animation episodes were the good ones, anyhow)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yeah, the past few weeks fully entered "Wait, did I see this one?" territory for me. With Make Room For Lisa, I remembered the plot point of a room in the Simpsons house being filled with mechanical equipment for a cell tower, and that's literally it. Maximum Homerdrive I definitely know and remember enjoying, but Bible Stories is a complete mystery to me. Like I said a while back, I'm pretty sure I watched all of these on original broadcast, but because I stopped watching syndicated reruns right around the time that they entered rotation they just didn't ingrain themselves into my memory like the previous 8 seasons.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Weeks behind, as usual, but the Yu-Gi-Oh episode of WAC is making me laugh a lot, mostly due to the fact that I didn't know they actually talked about/used the phrase "The Heart of the Cards" this much.

"MY GRANDFATHER'S A VETERAN!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
November had a very good pair of what were essentially 2 part WAC episodes. Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh served as a good examination of how quickly anime caught on in America and how big it got, then the Bonkers/Animaniacs episodes made for a good encapsulation of where Warner and Disney were in the early 90's, and how they both approached a similar concept ("Cartoons are real, and they live in modern Los Angeles") with wildly different results.

Also all the behind-the-scenes stories about Bonkers are just ridiculous, even before the Oklahoma City Bombing plays a role.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Fezz posted:

I don't remember that part of the episode? Can you elaborate?

The episode that explains why Bonkers' partner changes from Piquel to Miranda had a plot about stopping a mad bomber. It was pulled from the syndication package after the OKC bombing (and didn't even reair during the show's stint on Toon Disney,) removing the one half hour that explained why a third of the series was vastly different from the rest of it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The old Lasertime episodes were fine and pretty extensively covered those episodes; that said, with S11 and beyond I could see Talking Simpsons becoming a 45 minute show where they burn through episodes because they will play clips of the lovely jokes, have nothing to say about them other than "Ugh, this sucks," and move on. I want to believe that Bob and Henry's work would help reevaluate those ill-regarded episodes and say "Oh, here's a great joke, here's an inspired character moment, etc." but I know better.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bobservo posted:

Please have faith in us! We have more listeners/patrons than ever before since we hit the "bad" years, and we don't think we're going to lose anyone as we go further into the double-digit seasons.

Oh, I very much have faith in you guys! I'm sure the podcast episodes themselves will be fun, but I'll be very, very surprised if I suddenly rediscover/appreciate the really dire years and stuff like Homer vs. Dignity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bobservo posted:

While doing notes and research for season one I made a nice Twitter thread about Homer's Odyssey, and I should be doing that for more S1 episodes in the future: https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1214683109142085632

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1214701794779000832

All of these are fantastic catches, but Dear God