Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

britishbornandbread posted:

I’m up to Summer of 4’2” and I don’t know who this artist person is that they have on as a guest but holy poo poo is she the most awkward annoying person I’ve ever heard in my life. The episode is two hours long because of her completely random, unrelated stories. Yikes.

Hi that's me, sorry you didn't like my appearance. I have definitely felt guilty for making episodes go on for way too long but on the flip side, a lot of people have said they like my tangents (and my own taste leans toward podcasts peppered with personal anecdotes), so different strokes for different folks! Feel free to skip my future appearances. If you don't like this ep, you won't like my other ones.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

britishbornandbread posted:

Hi. Upon reflection perhaps I was slightly harah, but I’m selfishly annoyed that this is the first TS I’ve not completed. Clearly you’re exceptional in your field and that is why you’ve worked to where you are presently, and you have sometime to bring when it comes to the Simpsons’ universe, I just have no interest in comics, animations, manga et al. The discussion about Simpsons fan sites in the 90s/00s was just jarring. In recent episodes we’ve had the singer from the Y Axes and the Indian American (apologies for lack of names, on phone and poor signal) I just felt the extra curricular discussions in this particular episode added nothing.

Looking at the replies my post is getting, clearly I’m a minority. I wouldn’t worry!

Thank you for your level-headed reply! I would argue that the discussions I brought were relevant -- my comic and manga work we talked about are official Simpsons comics, and animation... well, it's an animated show we're discussing, so that's naturally going to come up. A lot of Talking Simpsons is about nostalgia and sharing stories about where we were when the episode in question first aired, and in my case, I was knee-deep in the Simpsons fansite community with a site entirely themed around the episode we were discussing.

For what it's worth, this was my first appearance and Bob and Henry were getting to know me better so we ended up going a little long with my intro. My other appearances since then gets to the episode discussion a lot sooner. (Except "Brother From Another Series" which ends up becoming half Talking Frasier.)

Anyway, can't say your comment didn't sting a little bit, but I've seen a lot of people say I should be a permanent host on the show (don't worry that's NOT going to happen and I very much disagree with them) so I'll be okay.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 10, 2019

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Kly posted:

I had no idea you had an account here. Is sa where you met bob because he criticized a donald duck picture you drew or whatever it was?

Yeah I'm a mega-lurker and haha, close -- it was Twitter, and he criticized my Disney Afternoon Collection cover. You can actually hear him tell the story on our guest appearance on Sneaky Dragon (1:47:15 mark): https://www.sneakydragon.com/podcas...on-episode-363/

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

JethroMcB posted:

Hi Nina, reiterating my request that you collect and translate every Japanese episode title; thank you.

Season 9:
Homer's New York Tale / Seymour's Unknown Secret / The Sax is Lisa's Treasure / Halloween Special 8 ~World of Horror~ / Homer's Great Gun Strife / Bart the Quarterback / Apu's Wedding / Big Discovery! An Angel Fossil? / Marge's Realty Business / Christmas of Nightmares / A Musical With Lives on the Line / Uninvited Guests / A Mysterious Cult Appears / The Elementary School Model U.N. Club Castaway Story / Krusty is Out of Touch? / Moe's Search for a Girlfriend / Is Lisa a Genius? Or Ordinary? / Ralph and Bart are Friends / Captain Simpson / Homer's Great Spy Plan / News Anchor Bart vs Lisa / Springfield's Garbage Wars / Homer's Diet to the Limit / Lisa's Solo Bus Experience / Natural Born Kissers

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Pope Guilty posted:

So I'm guessing Natural Born Killers was sufficiently well-known in Japan that the pun could survive localization?

Yep, "Natural Born Killers" kept its English title and and "kiss" is an English loan word in Japanese so it didn't need to be changed. I think that rarely happens.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Guy Mann posted:

Nina are you the one who runs this channel or is it just a happy coincidence, because Japanese Simpsons clips are wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcYU4w0UEo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32QFYTTLbzs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1HhuxmJKUM

No but thanks for these links!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Old Swerdlow posted:

Hey Bob, I don’t know if “The Raccoons” was ever a thing in the US, but has Nina introduced you to it’s banging credits song?

https://youtu.be/XpQu33LW5Dc

I never watched that show so, no, but I DID teach him all about Undergrads! (And yes it's aged very poorly)

Improbable Lobster posted:

I only watched it because it was on after clone high

^^^This (I taught him about Clone High too, and Undergrads came up because the two shows are forever associated in my mind)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 3, 2019

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

For me, the peak "just watching it because it was on and it was a cartoon" show was Bob and Margaret. Why did I watch Bob and Margaret? Why?? Was it secretly good? Haven't seen an ep in 15 years but I know I watched so very much Bob and Margaret.

I'm acquainted with the creators so if anything, know that it was made by very fine people.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Thanks! I know Sneaky Dragon's topicless conversation style isn't for everyone, so it's nice to know you enjoyed it. I think it turned out to be a fun episode too.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

It was really interesting (and oddly refreshing) hearing commentary from someone without a case of Simpsons brain!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

It blew my mind to find out Hiromu Arakawa has three kids. I don't know how any manga artist manages to find the time and energy to raise a child, let alone multiple.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

bobservo posted:

Why hire assistants when you can make them?

They're gonna rebel and become doctors

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder what MMO Bob and Henry saw in Vegas that never came out.

It was Infinite Crisis, a DC Universe MOBA.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

They received first class plane tickets for the MOBA. The suite was for the PSX event.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Riptor posted:

will you be changing your username to bobserv-eh thank you I will take my answer off the air

He's changing it to boubservou

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Lord I hate the head-shaped cases

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

JethroMcB posted:

I remember they had an offer to replace that Season 6 Homer head with a regular box, but it was a pain in the rear end (There was a website devoted to it but you couldn't actually order it there, you had to download a form, which had to be printed and filled out by hand, and you also had to include a personal check to cover shipping and include the UPC code from the little flap of paper that was originally stuck to the back of the case.) Also the language of the press release and the website made fun of you, the customer, for being a whiny baby who was wildly upset about your cartoons not being in the right box.

(I never got my replacement box, because it was 2007 and I was too darn lazy and irresponsible to bother.)

I did all this, but didn't get my replacement box because I was dumb enough to forget the money. So my Homer head case still remains and my shelf looks much like twistedmentat's.

This was what they started putting in them:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Maybe I am biased but Bob is extremely friendly and approachable too

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

I'm bad at approaching people for autographs too and am often too shy to tell people I enjoy their work even in a setting that welcomes it (like conventions), so I get it. I just wanted to point out Henry isn't the only friendly one.

Thanks for attending and getting a poster! That goes out to anyone else reading this who attended.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

I'll get back to working on your film biography

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

I want to believe a Talking Mission Hill miniseries will happen one day, but I fully admit to not helping the cause because I keep voting for either King of the Hill or Futurama.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

The bunny scene really is still hilarious to this day. Call Of The Simpsons may have a lot of weird out-of-character moments and stuff like the bear sideplot, but I think it's the most Simpsony episode of Season 1 in terms of humour (the family leaving the RV while Homer gives directions, "I've murdered us all," the spinning headline escalation, etc.).

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I always heard that first line as "cartoons from present and the past", could be wrong though!

I definitely think it's this

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

I thought it was "cartoons are dollars in dues"

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Don't mind me, there is no combinatory value to my humour.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Fezz posted:

Anyone else have cartoons they want the WAC crew to dissect and discuss?

Undergrads

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Fred is on posted:

This but unironically, I loved the show as a teen with bad taste.

Though I recognize it's...not good, I watched it a LOT since it was paired with Clone High. Bob and I went down a deep Undergrads hole one night and the backstory behind how it got made is actually pretty interesting. Too bad he'll never agree to cover it on WAC. I will make him watch a full ep one of these days though.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

SousaphoneColossus posted:

I had the same reaction as you months ago, but I recently returned to it and found that the pilot kind of undersells the rest of the series quality-wise. I would suggest giving it another chance and pushing through the first one or two.

Same. I don't think it's fair to judge any first-season cartoon after 5 minutes on the pilot episode. I never would've watched more Clone High or Last Airbender if based on just 5 minutes of episode 1. Or The Simpsons! Even the entire first season of Bob's Burgers is kinda rough.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Yeah, I think it's fine to leave that out. They've been trying to avoid saying stuff that might date the show during recordings because of how far in advance they've been doing these and the rapidly changing state of current events. And when they do say something that might date it, they immediately mention when it is at the time of recording, so no worries there.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Teletoon: hour after hour of ugly, ugly cartoons (but yes, some standout stuff like Clone High in there)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Bob please make "Quel Télétoon" a patreon goal

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

I've already educated Bob on YTV's The Zone and Sesame Park. He has much to learn still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it?

Billy Gnosis posted:

How many hours of Canadian Heritage Minutes does Bob need to watch in order to legally immigrate?

Not sure but I could listen to them roast Canadian Heritage Minutes all day. I loved their take on the Winnie the Pooh one.