Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The FCBD 2021 issue is out on Comixology now, too.
https://www.comixology.com/Sonic-the-Hedgehog-30th-Anniversary-Special-FCBD-2021/digital-comic/963340

It has a new Amy story in the Classic setting, and a quick recap of the IDW run so far.

e: have some alternate cover ideas for the snipe:
https://twitter.com/yardleyart/status/1427131635271618560

Halibut Barn fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
also it seems like the characters featured in Imposter Syndrome were planned for years
https://twitter.com/DigammaFWau/status/1428781800654999553

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They are releasing a new series of animated shorts and it looks pretty nifty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wM-IJ9xV8Y

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

also it seems like the characters featured in Imposter Syndrome were planned for years
https://twitter.com/DigammaFWau/status/1428781800654999553

looks like the water one is supposed to be blue knuckles thenn

https://twitter.com/DigammaFWau/status/1428782227203117061

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/ThatSoni/status/1430949887210831872

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like those designs.

Here's a Tenrec they are related to Hedgehogs

And of course Fennec's are small foxes with big ears.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

New issue out: very jarring going from the strict, on-model artstyle of Jamal Peppers in the first half to the far more energetic style Bracardi Curry went with in the 3rd quarter

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That was a mess of artists. Hopefully it was just a fix for one suddenly unavailable artist this once and not a sign of things to come.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

That was a mess of artists. Hopefully it was just a fix for one suddenly unavailable artist this once and not a sign of things to come.

We've been having the occasional issue with multiple artists for a while now, I'd say this has been a regular thing already (like this is the 14th time it's happened, with the first being all the way back with issue 10). Usually though it's artists with at least somewhat similar sensibilities and/or skill levels paired together and often handling different "scenes" so the transitions tend to be less jarring (like last year you often had ABT filling in for Evan, for instance). Seasons of Chaos from the classic special also had 3 different artists yet looked pretty seamless (though it helped with that story that the 2 fill-in artists were working off of layouts done by the main artist and did only a small chunk of the story)

I will say for an issue that had to bust out multiple colorists, at least the change in colorist felt seamless (though the other rare few issues with multiple colorists had said colorists focus on different "scenes" so the change in color sensibilities stuck out less than it could've here)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 2, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Deadly Six fight was pretty good however.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The Chaotix being stuck in traffic is a great gag. I'm sure Vector having a gator-car is probably canon from a racing game I haven't played but if it's made for this issue I find it just :discourse:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/IDW_David_M/status/1433543199511900200?s=19

So basically Imposter Syndrome and issues 47-50 are gonna alternate with each month instead of an issue of both a month (likely due to the movie mini that had its info leaked)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Surge and Kit's designs.

Also Kit is apparently partially inspired by the King of Sorrow from Klonoa.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Deadly Six fight was pretty good however.

Yeah, it was a surprisingly good demonstration of the various abilities and weapons from both the villains and heroes! If the Deadly Six had been getting this kind of play from their first introduction I'd imagine they'd be far more popular.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/SpiritSonic/status/1437999643980230657?s=19

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Is the comic bi-weekly now? I was surprised to see a new issue today.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

Is the comic bi-weekly now? I was surprised to see a new issue today.

just that this issue (originally meant to come out late August) got delayed to a lesser extent than the last one (which was originally meant to come out in July)

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Does anybody buy digital comics direct from IDW? I've been subscribed to this one on comixology but I guess they are getting rid of DRM-free downloads when they fully merge with amazon next month, which was the whole point for me. Just wondering what kind of files you get from IDW and if you can subscribe or you need to purchase manually every time an issue comes out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Felt super bad for Belle here Starline was a real dick.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Belle's story was sad but honestly I just still cannot get past that clown nose.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

So Ian recently revealed on the Bumblekast that the original plan for Belle's backstory was that it was gonna be told in a story in the 2021 Annual, but then said Annual had to be cancelled to make way for the Classic special and so it was put in Zeti Hunt instead. Was there ever an idea of when said Annual would've come out? both of the previous annuals were intended for March releases, so if that pattern had kept up then 2021's would've been before Test Run finished.

Evan Stanley posted:

I think that's correct, and that hypothetical annual probably would have come out in March-ish timeframe you mentioned. The trick of it is that while we were pitching annual ideas, we were also putting together the outline for the 2020/2021 issues.

When it was decided that we wouldn't be doing a Modern Sonic annual, Belle's storyline was expanded and repurposed to serve as the narrative through-line connecting the arcs we were planning for the main book. Those were a combination of things Ian already had locked in (Zeti hunt, Impostor Syndrome) and me coming in a bit later to fill the spaces in-between with smaller, lower-stakes stories to serve as a contrast to the Zombot arc. Belle's presence also helped fill in some of the how's and why's of Starline's plans, and coincidentally also had some thematic resonance.

If we'd gone with the original annual-only plan I'd pitched, Belle would have been introduced via that 6-pager, to be later incorporated into the main book when there was a story that could use her. Alternately, the story could remain self-contained as a tragic curiosity of the Metal Virus. I think the short story would have been stronger than the whole-season approach: opening with her origin would have been a more impactful intro, as it's one of the tastiest bits of her character arc and sets up her motivations and fears very tidily. It'd also have cut down significantly on the extended exposition/reveal of her whole deal.

But it was hard to see that in the moment... I'm still quite new to writing at this scale, and I've been learning a lot about how to introduce a character and pace out a storyline.

(source)

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I've only been picking up the trades, where Belle hasn't even been introduced yet, and apparently the next volume has been delayed again until January. A consequence of COVID, I'm sure, but dang I'm feeling farther and farther behind.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Halibut Barn posted:

I've only been picking up the trades, where Belle hasn't even been introduced yet, and apparently the next volume has been delayed again until January. A consequence of COVID, I'm sure, but dang I'm feeling farther and farther behind.

I have just been getting them monthly. And getting fairly hyped for Imposter Syndrome.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1456388488035647491?t=MgIE7B2dijpO7pa9NMiAcA&s=19

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
That reads like Family Guy dialogue. If it were any more on the nose it would come with a link to a Youtube video of the writer furiously mugging for the camera.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think it works - the fourth wall breaking, combined with the use of fan terminology and adopting sprite glitches as his OC's reinforces Starline's whole vibe of feeling like a fanfic author who's using his stories to rewrite the franchise rather than accept that maybe it's just not for him anymore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Starline he is such an arrogant rear end in a top hat.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

That reads like Family Guy dialogue. If it were any more on the nose it would come with a link to a Youtube video of the writer furiously mugging for the camera.

Why are you like this

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mikedawson posted:

Why are you like this

Because it is bad, pandering writing

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because it is bad, pandering writing

It's not? It's a smug evil genius rear end in a top hat delivering a monologue?

I've been active on Sonic threads here for years and all you do is make annoying insults and crude jokes that got old a decade ago.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mikedawson posted:

It's not? It's a smug evil genius rear end in a top hat delivering a monologue?

I've been active on Sonic threads here for years and all you do is make annoying insults and crude jokes that got old a decade ago.

yeah their username is pretty fitting but that doesn't make them any less annoying

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They say the Sonic fandom attracts a lot of weird, bad people, but honestly, I rarely see the likes of Screaming Idiot so maybe those claims are exaggerated.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Lemme me tell you of a realm known as /sthg/...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Design stuff on Surge and Kit. (Whose full name is the great pun of Kitsunami.)

https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1460025619303985153

Poor Sonic in those concepts.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 15, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh god this is happening. Guessing Surge's creation led to this.

https://twitter.com/ScourgeComic/status/1460235434118635522

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What in the blazes

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
lol for a minute I missed the Penders in the tweet and thought "poo poo they're gonna bring him back and let him smoke in the IDW books? drat, that's wild."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Penders isn't even responsible for Scourge!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Penders isn't even responsible for Scourge!

Yeah, but he 100% believes he owns Scourge regardless, and Sega probably isn't willing to drag his rear end back to court to prove otherwise.

Though I'd absolutely love to see a Cease and Desist thrown at this, considering at least one of the artists is a white supremacist.

https://twitter.com/Caldroids/status/1460349048452435978?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly hope SEGA uses this as a chance to just ruin Penders life with litigation