Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

I'm not much of a gun person but I'm guessing that the love interest in this book will be the Glock that Frank's holding. Pitt will run into the Glock on the street downtown without her business attire (the silencer) on and it'll kick off an initially tense but sexually charged professional relationship that will eventually turn into something more.

still a better love story than RPO etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So not only did a Kickstarter get set up for making a Monster Hunter tabletop RPG in the Savage Worlds system, it got funded almost 10 times over.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

So not only did a Kickstarter get set up for making a Monster Hunter tabletop RPG in the Savage Worlds system, it got funded almost 10 times over.

Imagine backing this because you're a huge Monster Hunter fan but couldn't be bothered to read two words into the pitch to realize this isn't based on the Capcom game series.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
To be fair, a tabletop set in the modern world where you're a covert organization hunting monsters in secret is still a pretty fun idea.

I'm patiently waiting for when the book setting milkshake ducks us.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Choco1980 posted:

To be fair, a tabletop set in the modern world where you're a covert organization hunting monsters in secret is still a pretty fun idea.

I'm sure that won't be long.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

chitoryu12 posted:

He seems to be one of those conservative guys that is absolutely convinced that the only reason society is bowing to those darn SJWs and their "give human rights to people" advocacy is because of the liberal media propaganda, so when the Hugo Awards started awarding progressive authors he lost his mind and started trying to get people to nominate the dumbest pulp ever (which coincidentally often included his own books) in protest.

Close. It started when someone told him he sucked and wasn't a real author because he hadn't won a Hugo, so he said they are all a sham and basically just awarded to progressive authors because message and to Tor authors blah blah blah instead of cool things people actually like (such as what he writes).

Actually both Grimnoir and Son of the Black Sword were both started because people told him well you arn't a REAL FANTASY author. He is a man that often gets his motivation from spite.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

To be fair, spite is a pretty great motivator historically.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Who the gently caress has time for a quip when your boss is turning into a werewolf in front of you

EDIT: Also, I get that he kept a concealed pistol but he also carried spare ammo?

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 5, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Who the gently caress has time for a quip when your boss is turning into a werewolf in front of you

EDIT: Also, I get that he kept a concealed pistol but he also carried spare ammo?

You actually always want to carry at least one reload if you've got a concealed weapon. Not because you might get into a huge gunfight with five dudes and need to John Wick your way out, but because:

1. You might miss a bunch and still be in danger, so you reload instead of just trying to beat the attacking person or animal with your gun.

2. You suffer some kind of problem with your ammo or magazine that can only be quickly solved by reloading.

Choco1980 posted:

There's a GURPS tabletop campaign I'm writing that's basically like this, only more in the Supernatural style where there's no real organization, just a bunch of independent people who are aware of what lurks in the shadows and have a loose-knit alliance between each other to exorcise ghosts and kill vampires.

It's a road trip series and I based a lot of the quests on real haunts and locations, like Bela Kiss being a vampire instead of just a serial killer and living in NYC or digging up buried treasure in Salton Sea, CA and taking it back to where it was stolen from the Aztecs in Mexico to get rid of a haunting.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

He's already doing the Government Incompetent And Bad, Private Industry Cool And Good thing (which is stuff LC actually believes) so I expect two or three chapters before the bad really kicks in.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chitoryu12 posted:

You actually always want to carry at least one reload if you've got a concealed weapon. Not because you might get into a huge gunfight with five dudes and need to John Wick your way out, but because:

1. You might miss a bunch and still be in danger, so you reload instead of just trying to beat the attacking person or animal with your gun.

2. You suffer some kind of problem with your ammo or magazine that can only be quickly solved by reloading.

Like I get that but I mean literally where was he carrying it if he was sneaking his gun in on an ankle holster in the first place

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Close. It started when someone told him he sucked and wasn't a real author because he hadn't won a Hugo, so he said they are all a sham and basically just awarded to progressive authors because message and to Tor authors blah blah blah instead of cool things people actually like (such as what he writes).

Actually both Grimnoir and Son of the Black Sword were both started because people told him well you arn't a REAL FANTASY author. He is a man that often gets his motivation from spite.

In addition to that, I recall one of the complaints being that the Hugos only cared about "literary fiction that nobody has actually read" (which is probably vacuous - I have no idea what kind of books win Hugos) and these pulp action novels like his own were unfairly shut out even though they're what people "really want to read" etc.

Of course, they rather undermined themselves by pushing hard for that one guy whose name I can't remember who lost his poo poo and threw a wobbler on his blog when he saw the last episode of Korra and was HORRIFIED to see TWO GIRLS on a CHILDREN'S cartoon (which he had previously followed avidly) HOLDING HANDS (!!!!) because that guy's work is or at least aspires to be "literary".

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

In addition to that, I recall one of the complaints being that the Hugos only cared about "literary fiction that nobody has actually read" (which is probably vacuous - I have no idea what kind of books win Hugos) and these pulp action novels like his own were unfairly shut out even though they're what people "really want to read" etc.

Of course, they rather undermined themselves by pushing hard for that one guy whose name I can't remember who lost his poo poo and threw a wobbler on his blog when he saw the last episode of Korra and was HORRIFIED to see TWO GIRLS on a CHILDREN'S cartoon (which he had previously followed avidly) HOLDING HANDS (!!!!) because that guy's work is or at least aspires to be "literary".
John C Wright is the dude you're thinking of.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like I get that but I mean literally where was he carrying it if he was sneaking his gun in on an ankle holster in the first place

It was in his coat pocket.

Please note that Mr. 300 Pounds was in a suit during this.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This guy's writing is fascinating because I have never experienced a text so dense with cliche

every event and description and thought is written in the most obvious way possible

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It's baffling that somehow for-profit monster hunters are the good guys rather than the government employees providing a public service.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Internet Wizard posted:

It's baffling that somehow for-profit monster hunters are the good guys rather than the government employees providing a public service.

No see, the government has all these rules and regulations that end up helping the monsters more than innocent people!

How many books will it take to find out the government is directly helping the monsters or are literal monsters or what-have-you?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

No see, the government has all these rules and regulations that end up helping the monsters more than innocent people!

How many books will it take to find out the government is directly helping the monsters or are literal monsters or what-have-you?

Well they already said the ban on firearms in federal parks allowed a chain of events that ended with chapter one happening.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I meant directly like I dunno, supplying them with people for food or inventing an anti-silver forcefield.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Vampires pushing for universal healthcare to drain blood from our poor womenfolk.

edit: This might sound offensive, but it feels like the most American book I've ever seen. He just ticks off all the redneck stereotypes.
Well, except Confederacy apologism and televangelism, but that's bound to come up later.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 5, 2018

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Man, wait until you find out about Agent Franks

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

No spoilers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Physical therapy sucks. Recuperation sucks. And the never-ending itching that comes from under a cast has to possibly be the worst form of torture known to man. The worst, unless you happen to have your parents invade your home in an attempt to comfort you. My folks had flown in when they had been informed of the "incident," and had immediately set about being a huge nuisance.

Before that, however, my hospital stay had dragged on for another week. Apparently, dying, even if only for a minute or two, could be quite a stressful event. The doctors had been impressed that I was even alive. When I had asked one of them approximately how much blood I had lost, he had responded wryly with "most of it."

As Pitt slowly recovers in the hospital, he's interviewed by the Dallas PD. They've apparently been informed that Huffman was a deranged serial killer on PCP with a 14-inch Bowie knife. They quickly inform him that it'll likely be deemed justifiable homicide in self-defense and arrange to have his revolver returned to him once the prosecutor's office clears it.

quote:

The local papers had run stories about my heroic defense against the crazed serial killer Cecil Huffman. In an amusing note the cover story featured both of our employee pictures. I'm sure that most casual readers would conclude that my picture showed the insane murderer, since I was big, young, muscular, swarthy, generally ugly, and beady-eyed. Mr. Huffman looked more like the victim type, a fat, middle-aged, middle manager, with big sad eyes and triple chins. Looks could be deceiving. During my hospital stay I had repeatedly turned away reporters. The last thing I wanted to do was to make up a story, or screw something up and draw the ire of the FBI. I had even turned down a potential guest spot on Oprah. My mom had been royally ticked when she found out about that.

The folks had arrived right before I was discharged. Now, don't get me wrong. I honestly love my family. They are good people. Crazy, but good.

"drat, boy, you look like poo poo," was the first thing that my father exclaimed when he saw my face.

My father was an upstanding citizen, a decorated war hero and member of the tight-knit Special Forces community, a man who was respected by his peers. At home, however, he was an emotionally distant and stern man who had a hard time relating to his children. When I was younger I had taken this to mean that he did not approve of us or even really like us much. I had dealt with that by trying to follow in his footsteps. My younger brother had dealt with that kind of thing by dropping out of high school and forming a heavy metal band. While I had become a CPA, my brother's band had landed a record deal and was always surrounded by hot groupies and wild parties. I think I got the shaft in that deal.

Apparently my father was a little ashamed that I had gotten so torn up by a corpulent schmuck, when I myself was young, fit, and—since I had been brought up right—carrying a gun. I imagine that if Huffman had succeeded in eating me, my father would have been more embarrassed that a Pitt had lost a fight, than saddened by my actual demise. The last time my father had been obviously ashamed of me was when the Army recruiters had turned me down because of flat feet and a childhood history of asthma attacks. That had been a tough day for him.

He had brought his sons up to follow in his soldiering footsteps. In fact, the idea for my first name came from the Owen submachine gun that he had used to save his life in the backcountry of Cambodia during a war that never officially existed. He thought the name had a nice ring to it, and the actual gun had come in handy for mowing down communist insurgents after he was trapped deep in enemy territory with nothing but an obsolete Australian weapon older than he was. Believe me, as kids, we had heard all of those stories.

This dude is so loving redneck.

His mom isn't anything special. She's the emotional one, all hugs and kisses and cooking. After Pitt gets discharged, they take him back to his apartment and settle in to help him recuperate over the coming weeks. His dad mostly just watches golf on TV, while his mom bugs him about still being single and rents movies for him to watch.

One night he gets a call from his brother, David "Mosh" Pitt. His band, Cabbage Point Killing Machine, is getting ready to release their newest album Hold the Pig Steady and Owen demands VIP passes to see him play in Dallas. David asks his brother for details on what happened, and Owen reluctantly gives the FBI-approved version about Huffman being a serial killer.

The night before his parents fly out, Pitt's dad pulls him aside. He seems agitated.

quote:

"Look, son, let me just come right out and say it. I know you aren't telling us everything."

"Huh?" This was a surprise. "What do you mean?"

"I've seen your injuries. I've seen knife wounds, hell, I've given knife wounds. Those aren't knife wounds."

He had me there. I didn't know what to say so I just nodded.

"Plus, I know what you did to put yourself through school, and I know that you never told us because you didn't want your mother to worry."

That made me jump. I had had no idea that he knew.

"What do you mean, Dad? I worked in a warehouse."

"Sure you did, for a while, except after that you bounced in a biker bar, and you used to compete in underground fights for money."

"How did you know?"

"Remember crazy Charlie from my office? He had a gambling problem. Old guy would bet on anything. He caught one of your performances one night. Called me the next morning to tell me how he had seen my boy kick the living hell out of some tough customers. So I did a little checking is all . . . Did it pay good?"

Early on in life, I had discovered that I had a remarkable gift for violence, which had been encouraged and cultivated by my father. That, coupled with my physical ability to soak up a beating, had enabled me to make some pretty decent money on more than a few occasions. It didn't have the perks of accounting, but I do have to admit that punching people in the face had its own certain charms.

Pitt says the pay was good, but he lies and says he only did it to pay for school. He's got some kind of secret about why he really left the fight club scene, but he can't tell his dad yet.

His dad recognizes that those wounds are nothing like what a knife would cause, and knows that his son could easily handle a guy with a knife without getting smashed all over the room like that. He compares the wounds to those of a guy he saw get mauled by a tiger in Southeast Asia, a gory bedtime story Pitt heard when he was 6. He encourages his son to come clean and promises not to tell anyone if he reveals something strange, but he doesn't budge. His dad scowls, but doesn't press further.

quote:

I cursed and swore as I hobbled through my apartment, crutch banging randomly into objects as I tried to make my way to the entrance. The doorbell rang again, and this time they held it down, and wouldn't let up. It was a very shrill doorbell.

"Just a minute!" I bellowed as I stumbled around the couch. My leg was getting much better. That had been by far the worst wound, and it was still the most tender, especially when I tried to walk on it. The rest of my injuries were healing nicely, and even my hand cast had finally come off. I promised myself on my long journey across the living room that if the person ringing my doorbell was with the media, I was going to shove my crutch through the reporter's chest cavity and leave the corpse propped up in the hallway as a warning to the others.

Peering through the peephole, all I could see was darkness. The hallway light had burned out again. "Who is it?" I yelled through the door, ready to give the crutch treatment if they said anything about a newspaper or television station. The media were apparently drawn to my story like flies to garbage, probably due to the made-for-TV movie feel of the whole thing. Serial killer thrown from a high building? Sounds like a winner to me.

"Earl Harbinger," came the muffled reply. "We met at the hospital."

I had almost managed to forget about that business card. Almost.

Pitt lets them in. He sees that Harbinger has brought a woman, and you can probably guess where this is going next:

quote:

She was beautiful. In fact she was possibly the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She was tall, with dark black hair, light skin, and big brown eyes. Her face was beautiful, not fake beautiful like a model or an actress, because she was obviously a real person, but rather Helen of Troy, launch-a-thousand-ships kind of good-looking. She wore glasses, and I was a sucker for a girl in corrective eyewear. Since I was ugly it was probably some sort of subconscious reaction in the hope that I might have a chance with a cute girl who couldn't see very well. She was dressed in a conservative business suit, but unlike most women I knew, she made it look good. If I were to guess I would have said that she was in her mid-twenties.

"Mr. Pitt?" she asked. Even her voice was pretty. She was a goddess.

I tried to answer, but no words would come out. Talk, idiot! "Um . . . Hi." Smooth . . . So far so good, keep going, big guy.

"You can, um . . . my name is . . . Owen. My friends call me Z. Because of my middle name. It starts with a Z. Or whatever works for you. Come in. Please!" Well, so much for smooth.

She smiled and held out her hand. "Julie Shackleford, pleased to meet you." Her grip was strong, with surprisingly callused, working hands. Her handshake sent the message that she was no wimp. Had I found the perfect woman?

Oh yeah, and she also has a small Southern accent like Harbinger. I think I know Larry's type. I like that he specifies that her hair is "dark black", as opposed to the other kind of black?

The trio sit down (in Pitt's case, more like falling into a chair with his crutch) and Harbinger checks on how he's healing up. He's not quite at the level of benching 400 pounds like he used to, but he'll get there.

Harbinger and Julie explain that they work for Monster Hunter International.

quote:

"MHI is a private organization, and we handle monster-related problems. I guess you could say that we are in fact Monster Hunters."

Man, with capital letters and everything!

quote:

"As you now are aware, monsters are very real. They're out there, and are a serious threat to the world. Our company specializes in neutralizing monster threats," she said.

"Good money in that?" I asked jokingly.

Harbinger reached inside his jacket, pulled out a plain envelope and tossed it to me. I caught it.

"What's this?"

"There's a federal bounty paid on undesirable unnaturals. It's called the PUFF," Harbinger stated.

"Puff?"

"Perpetual Unearthly Forces Fund," Julie answered. "Teddy Roosevelt started it when he was president. PUFF is a tool for controlling monster populations. It's a big source of income for MHI. We make the rest in contracts set up with various municipalities, organizations, and private individuals with monster problems."

"Go ahead and open it," Harbinger suggested. "The Feds weren't going to tell you about it, but you killed a newly blooded adult werewolf by yourself. That makes you the sole recipient of any bounty for that particular creature. I took the liberty of doing the paperwork for you. I didn't think you would mind."

Inside the envelope was an ordinary-looking check. Sure enough it was from the Department of the Treasury, with PUFF stamped in green ink under their insignia. It was made out to one Owen Zastava Pitt in the amount of $50,000.

I think that the noise I made could best be described as a squeak, only less manly. This could not be real. My job, which I had been fired from so recently, had paid less than that in a year. "You have got to be freaking kidding me!" Fixing Julie with an incredulous look, I did my best to raise a single eyebrow.

Note to self when writing: never make a silly acronym just so you can have one. Also, this is probably the second or third time I've seen a setting where monster hunting in America was started by Teddy Roosevelt. Either that or I saw something about MHI a long time ago and just never remembered it.

The bounties change depending on the circumstances. Since lycanthrope attacks are at an all time high and Huffman had killed a few people already, he was a valuable kill. Pitt asks about what other kinds of "unnaturals" there are, and Julie refuses to tell him more unless he joins up.

quote:

I cut her off. "Zombies? Are there really zombies?"

"Owen, please, I need to . . ."

"Yes, there are zombies. A whole bunch of different kinds. Slow ones, fast ones. Nasty bastards," Harbinger said.

"Vampires?"

"Oh yeah. And let me tell you, they ain't the nice charming debonair kind of thing you see on TV, those suckers are meaner than hell. Trust me on this one; pop culture makes them all intellectual and sexy, there ain't nothing sexy about getting your carotid artery ripped out. There're actually a mess of different kinds of undead."

Julie sighed as she gave up on her pitch. I was going to find out what exactly was real, and Harbinger was more than willing to talk. He seemed to be enjoying himself, and also getting a kick out of Julie's discomfort.

"Bigfoot, the Yeti?"

"Yep, but no bounties because they ain't really a problem."

"Chupacabras?"

"Goat suckers. They'll tear you up."

"Giant mutant animals?"

"Sure, but the Japanese have cornered that market."

"Sea monsters?"

"Yes, but only bounties on the evil kind."

"Wow, no kidding? Space aliens?"

"No intelligent little green men, if that's what you're thinking of. If those are out there we haven't ever dealt with them."

"Ghosts?"

"We have a strict policy: we only hunt things that have physical bodies. No physical body, no contract, and no way to collect a bounty either. We stick with things that are flesh and blood, or at least bone, exoskeleton, or slime."

We continued on like that for a few minutes, with me thinking of every creature from every horror movie I had ever seen, and Harbinger letting me know if it was real or not. Every answer he gave was in total seriousness. If he was making any of this crazy monster stuff up, I sure would hate to play a game of poker against him.

Finally after asking about the creature from the black lagoon and finding out that that was actually based on a true story, Julie had had enough and jumped in. She elbowed Harbinger in the ribs. "Sorry guys, back to business. Owen, we're looking for new Hunters. Because of the nature of what we do, we can't exactly advertise. Usually we meet people through our business who have monster experience, and who have handled themselves well."

This motherfucker is like a kid in a candy shop, except the candy is murder.

Julie pulls out a DVD and puts it into Pitt's DVD player. It's the security camera footage of his fight with Huffman, apparently from hidden cameras Pitt didn't even know they had installed. As they watch the video, Harbinger explains that Pitt was different because not only did he put up a fight when confronted with a monster instead of freezing, he won. They also pull out his secret Department of Homeland Security file, where they cover his middle name (his mother is Czech and Serbian).

quote:

"Black belt in two martial arts. You wrestled in high school and took the state championship heavyweight division two years in a row. Homeland Security has you flagged because you're considered a militant right-wing gun nut. You became involved in competitive shooting at eight years old, and have a master rating in International Practical Shooting. You've placed in the top five in several different national level three-gun tactical competitions. You were ranked as one of the top young shooters in the country, though you've slipped over the last few years."

Oh yeah, that's the kind of protagonist you want: someone who was flagged by the federal government as right-wing militia. Frankly the most unrealistic part of the book for me is that the government even bothers flagging white right-wingers.

Pitt tried to join the Army, but was turned down for minor health problems. He instead turned to illegal gambling and underground fighting rings, earning a bachelor's and master's degree in only 6 years and passing his CPA exam on the first try. He finally ended the fight club thing because he came extremely close to accidentally killing another fighter. He even speaks 5 languages fluently and is passable in a few others, which they handwave as a "varied family background" because I guess that makes you fluent in all the languages you're related to.

quote:

"Your psychological profile says that you're a pathological overachiever with severe overcompensating tendencies as a result of your relationship with your father, and the fact that you were always the picked-on fat kid while growing up."

"Does it actually say 'fat kid'?" I asked in total bewilderment.

"Actually it says it in some sort of psychological mumbo-jumbo about body image and self-esteem, but I'm just paraphrasing."

"I wasn't fat. I was big-boned." I leaned back in my chair and rubbed my temples. I was amazed that all of this was from some government database. Chalk up a few more points for my antiauthoritarian side.

They mention the pay again, specifically that they have a problem with their best agents retiring to buy small countries. It's incredibly dangerous and he's liable to die young, but it's something that he can be good at while helping protect people and making a ton of money. He remembers what the mysterious Eastern European Not-God said to him while he was dead about finding his calling.

He says he'll go down to the bank and cash the check. If it's real, he'll join on two conditions: the first is that if he ever thinks the job is too crazy, he can quit whenever. And the second...

quote:

"You, uh . . . need to have dinner with me tonight," I stammered, surprising myself with my own courage. There you go, Casanova. I had no idea why I had said that, it had just kind of popped out.

You goony gently caress.

Julie is perplexed by him asking her out during a job interview, but Harbinger encourages it because he has some mysterious business alone tonight anyway.

quote:

Julie Shackleford sat on my bargain basement furniture in my rundown apartment in a bad part of town and examined me quizzically. I had no idea what she was thinking. It was an awkward moment.

Finally she broke the silence.

"Want to order pizza?"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

so his dad is frank dux

Seriously though I will never understand the appeal to crazy right wing people about being like "I fought in a war THAT NEVER EXISTED"

Like, congrats, you're a war criminal. Not sure why you're bragging about that.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Man this was so much more fun when it was silly action scenes. The "and then Ares himself came and told everyone I was real good at fighting but then I killed him because he wasn't Jesus" is getting pretty old.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So when does he mention his 12-inch penis

Or is that spoiler territory

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yep okay wow the awful right-wing poo poo came faster than I expected. I'm not too surprised by the existence of an emotionally-abusive right wing war crime dad who can barely show pride in his child (I'm just gonna go out on a limb and just guess with the emotional abusive part what with telling your six year old horrible stories about people getting ate by tigers), I'm not too surprised about the incompetent government who is losing money to rando Industry Disruptors who are poaching government money by being really good with guns, I'm not too surprised by the Tex Avery stammering awoooooga hey lady poo poo.

What's surprising me is the rock-star brother and the fact that the author is addressing him needing to actually take time to heal, that's pretty unexpected for this genre.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm rolling my eyes so hard at Pitt's backstory that I think I may have damaged something.

I will say this, when his dad cornered him asking what really happened, it almost felt like he already knew what sort of "something strange" he might be into. Or is that subtle foreshadowing?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
The most telling part of this is that he totally would have joined the army, you guys, definitely for sure he would have, except for those pesky ol' medical issues (that will no doubt never come into play in a way that would hinder him later in the book). But don't worry, dear reader! Larry Correia's self insert is still a super badass who was awesome in underground fight clubs and is the best shot ever.

Do you think Correia himself uses the flat feet explanation, or did he poo poo himself in the recruiter's office like Ted Nugent?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grenrow posted:

The most telling part of this is that he totally would have joined the army, you guys, definitely for sure he would have, except for those pesky ol' medical issues (that will no doubt never come into play in a way that would hinder him later in the book). But don't worry, dear reader! Larry Correia's self insert is still a super badass who was awesome in underground fight clubs and is the best shot ever.

Do you think Correia himself uses the flat feet explanation, or did he poo poo himself in the recruiter's office like Ted Nugent?

I actually can't find any evidence that Larry tried to join the military or had any plans to. He is an accountant in addition to owning a gun store.

He also complained in an interview that he can't relax by reading any more because "I use the same part of my brain for writing as I do for reading".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Grenrow posted:

Dude was born in 77, he's only 41. He grew up in a post-draft post-Vietnam America.

Also if I had to guess what Pitt's medical conditions were, speaking as a fat dude myself it's probably that he can do muscle training just fine but has no stamina for cardio or he has high blood pressure.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Man this was so much more fun when it was silly action scenes. The "and then Ares himself came and told everyone I was real good at fighting but then I killed him because he wasn't Jesus" is getting pretty old.

Nah, the right-wing dick-waving is part of the appeal of this sorta crap. You can learn a lot about someone through their wish-fulfillment stories. This is pretty tame as this poo poo goes.

Also I'd be totally into a band called Cabbage Point Killing Machine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hostile V posted:

Dude was born in 77, he's only 41. He grew up in a post-draft post-Vietnam America.

Also if I had to guess what Pitt's medical conditions were, speaking as a fat dude myself it's probably that he can do muscle training just fine but has no stamina for cardio or he has high blood pressure.

According to his backstory where he's talking about his dad, it was asthma and flat feet.

Owen Pitt is that muscular hot dude on the cover of the book, with Julie behind him.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

so his dad is frank dux

Seriously though I will never understand the appeal to crazy right wing people about being like "I fought in a war THAT NEVER EXISTED"

Like, congrats, you're a war criminal. Not sure why you're bragging about that.

Because they're ~true patriots~ but the government can never praise them for the heroes they are, which makes their sacrifice even more noble.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Internet Wizard posted:

Why? We have private contractors doing pretty much everything for the government these days, from intelligence gathering & analysis to direct action missions overseas to providing security to cooking meals. Later books show that the private groups are filled with their share of shitheads too, just like there's assholes in the Monster Control Bureau.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Actually he invents fake reasons to be spiteful. Whether this is a conscious process I have no idea, but there's little doubt that he's telling tall tales. Back when he started the Puppy campaigns he was pushing this story about how he went to a Worldcon as a new author and was treated so, so horribly by the evil SJWs. People who were at that con started chatting amongst themselves and nobody could remember him actually being treated badly, in no small part because at the time he was just a new author who had yet to piss everyone off by trying to steal a Hugo. Folks even found old blog posts by him where he talked about what a great time he had at the con, without even a shadow of a hint that anyone had been mean to him.

IIRC the only thing from that con which makes sense as the kernel of his resentment was that he was up for the John W. Campbell award (for best new SF author of the year), and didn't win it, and the sting slowly warped his memories of the con until, to hear him now, people were practically spitting in his face for being a rightwing guntoter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Karia posted:

Nah, the right-wing dick-waving is part of the appeal of this sorta crap. You can learn a lot about someone through their wish-fulfillment stories. This is pretty tame as this poo poo goes.

Contrast with Baen stablemates like Tom Kratman.

Grenrow posted:

The funniest part of Nugent's story is that, after admitting he got high for the only time in his life and shat himself to avoid the draft, he boasts that he totally would've been a full-on Rambo-style badass leading a team of badasses if he actually had gone to Vietnam.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

sky shark posted:

Why? We have private contractors doing pretty much everything for the government these days, from intelligence gathering & analysis to direct action missions overseas to providing security to cooking meals. Later books show that the private groups are filled with their share of shitheads too, just like there's assholes in the Monster Control Bureau.

Yeah PMCs probably aren’t the best example to use when trying to say privatization is a good thing.

Also I meant specifically more how gross and predatory it is to demand payment from somebody before killing a monster threatening their very lives. Like if animal control refused to deal with human-aggressive cougars until they got paid off, but worse.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah PMCs probably aren’t the best example to use when trying to say privatization is a good thing.

Also I meant specifically more how gross and predatory it is to demand payment from somebody before killing a monster threatening their very lives. Like if animal control refused to deal with human-aggressive cougars until they got paid off, but worse.

The government pays them, and other companies like them, a bounty based on some actuarial tables or something and/or get hired like exterminators by businesses.

They don't go charging around negotiating up front fees with regular folk like they're a group of Witchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

The government pays them, and other companies like them, a bounty based on some actuarial tables or something and/or get hired like exterminators by businesses.

They don't go charging around negotiating up front fees with regular folk like they're a group of Witchers.

"We make the rest in contracts set up with various municipalities, organizations, and private individuals with monster problems." sure gives that impression.

• Locked thread