Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I opened my eyes. The sphere was gone. The night sky was bright and clear, and I was lying on a pyramid, in the middle of a little forest valley, which appeared to be floating unsupported several hundred feet above rural Alabama.

Julie was breathing, though it was shallow and her pulse was weak. Her wound was closed, sealed by Thrall in a final act of mercy. I stood up. Amazingly enough, I felt fine, no broken bones, no blindness, no shattered eardrum. The breeze was natural and clean. The moon was descending over millions of stars. It was beautiful.

Something moved from where the Cursed One had last stood.

"Oh, give me a break," I muttered. I looked around for weapons. I found both of my pistols, put the thumb safeties on, and shoved them in my waistband. Abomination was still where Thrall had dropped it. Empty, but it still had a good bayonet. I walked toward the shape that was moaning in the pile of burnt garbage that had been my enemy.

I held the shotgun like a spear, silver blade extended. Kicking aside the charred mess, I searched for the movement. The remainder of Lord Machado's body had turned to ash, and was slowly blowing away in the wind. I saw small glints of the armored breastplate sticking out from under the cinders. It rocked slightly. I readied myself.

Slowly, shakily, a person emerged from the remains. He was a short man, and his features were hard to distinguish beneath the soot. He was naked except for the remaining armor, and a few tatters of the once opulent robe. He struggled weakly to his hands and knees, a tiny creature amongst the ruins of his former body.

Oh hey, Pitt doesn't even get the tragedy of losing his 24-hour love to stick! She got healed by Thrall right before he died so everything is fine!

Also yeah, the guy struggling to stand up is Machado. Somehow being thrown into the void after being hacked up with an axe by Pitt has just broken the curse on him and brought him back to life as a human, rather than doing literally anything else that makes sense.

quote:

I waited.

He spoke slowly, not used to forming words. The medieval Portuguese was still very familiar in my mind.

"The curse is lifted. I am a man again. Human at last."

"Yup."

He looked at his hands in wonder, and brushed the ash away from his skin. He began to cry, tears rolling down the soot. "Five hundred years of torment. I am free. You have freed me from my curse . . . Somehow it is broken."

I tied Abomination's tattered strap over one shoulder and drew the full-size .45 from my waistband. The click of the safety was eerily loud. I carefully put the front sight in place and placed my finger on the face of the trigger. He looked up at me warily. "But . . . but I have been redeemed."

"I'm not in the redemption business."

BOOM.

A hole appeared in his forehead. The silver bullet mushroomed perfectly through his brain tissue and ruptured out the back of his skull in a spray of red and white. The single brass case bounced on the ground. A thin line of blood fell from the entrance wound. Lord Machado's eyes rolled slowly back into his head and he flopped into the ash.

Isn't he so badass guys

The pocket dimension starts shaking and disintegrating. The ground disappears, sending the trees and snow falling down to Alabama below, until only the ruined pyramid is left.

quote:

Something clanged against the ivory, bounced a few times, and then stopped. The artifact! The pyramid jolted again and it slid toward the edge.

I started after it. If I could reach it, I could use it to get us out of here. I surged forward, one hand holding Julie's limp form tight, the other grasping for the little stone box.

My fingers stopped an inch from the artifact. I froze. "Nice try, you evil bitch."

Koriniha's voice echoed through the night air. "Pity. Now I have to put up with five more centuries on this lovely planet." Her spirit drifted away on the winds and was gone.

Wait, does she speak with modern inflection and slang or overblown dramatic court English? She seems to switch every time she talks now.

quote:

With a groan the pyramid began its final disintegration. A seam split open between my feet. The artifact slid over the edge and disappeared. The corpses fell away. The last blocks began to plummet, hurtling toward the ground. The top tier was all that remained, and we began to fall. It was a sickening feeling. Air rushed past my ears, deafening me. This was it.

Blinding light. What the hell? The spotlight veered away, and something metallic clanged against the ivory. In the split second before the block beneath my feet dropped, I realized it was a chain ladder. I extended one hand and grabbed it. My foothold was gone. I held onto the rung with all of my strength. Julie and I fell. My arm wrenched painfully in its socket. My fingers popped. I cried out in pain as I struggled to hold on. I kicked my legs wildly, panicking, trying to get one foot on the rung. The Hind jerked wildly above as Skippy tried to get us safely to the ground.

It had been an amazing feat of piloting. The clumsy Russian chopper was not known for its precise handling, yet he had managed to match speed with the dropping pyramid long enough to snag us.

I clamped Julie's unconscious body tight against my chest. She threatened to slip away. I could feel the rung trying to pull out of my hand. Instinct told me to drop her and use my other hand to hold on. Screw instinct. My hand was on fire, but I held on. We were losing altitude quickly. I tried to get a foot through another rung, but the ladder was whipping wildly in the wind. Finally, by some miracle, I was able to get the toes of my boot through the chain to brace myself. I held on for dear life.

Ground. Blessed ground. It came up frighteningly fast. Skippy flared the chopper upward, slowing us at the last possible instant. Almost gently he lowered us until the ladder was dragging in the grass. I hopped off, covering my eyes as the blades tore up a mighty cloud of debris. Hunters moved quickly from the woods, swarming toward us. I waved happily. I had no idea what was going on down here, but the Cursed One was dead. The Old Ones' plan had been foiled. No matter what, we had won. I was briefly illuminated in the spotlight of the Hind as it quickly banked up and away. I grinned like an idiot and gave everybody a thumbs-up.

The final rung of the ladder struck me violently in the back of the head. The last thing I remembered was a bunch of flashlights shining in my eyes and somebody hollering for a medic.

get hosed pitt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

Wouldn’t that be the 2nd assistant side-villain (in casting terms)?

Main Villain = poor man’s Pizarro
Side Villain = MILF vampire
1st assistant Side Villain = Nazi vampire
2nd assistant Side Villain = That Viking mercenary/tattoo guardian thing

It's more like:

Secret Main Villain = Lilith
Fake Main Villain = Poor Man's Pizarro
Side Villain = MILF Vampire
1st Assistant Side Villain = Nazi Vampire
2nd Assistant Side Villain who then becomes a good guy in his last scene = That Viking mercenary/tattoo guardian thing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

It's more like:

2nd Assistant Side Villain who then becomes a good guy in his last scene = That Viking mercenary/tattoo guardian thing

I amended my last post.

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh, right. I almost forgot

Super Double Secret Probation Villain = dime store Cthulhu

Too many god drat villains up in here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

I amended my last post.

Too many god drat villains up in here.

See, the Dime Store Cthulhu is actually a totally different character that we won't see until the epilogue. Koriniha is outright stated to be the real Lilith and other various female gods and demons in history.

Edit: Also despite being the ending of the book, I estimate we won't finish until next week at my current update schedule. You have no loving clue how long this book takes to end.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

chitoryu12 posted:

It's more like:

I couldn't follow this.

Not from lack of understanding, I just didn't care.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mostly tuned out after Pitt got beat up by feds in that murdered anthropologist's house. Been skimming the story since.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Actually taking into account the epilogue, the real villain list for this book is:

Ultimate Foreshadowed Villain = Not-Cthulhu

There's 6 bad guys, one of whom becomes a good guy, one who doesn't reveal herself until the penultimate chapter, and one that's only in the epilogue to set up a sequel hook.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh I just remembered that they make a big deal about Skippy being allowed to put guns and rockets on the Hind against government orders, but this never once gets used because the helicopter stays out of the final battle and just shows up after all the villains are dead or escaped.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually taking into account the epilogue, the real villain list for this book is:

Ultimate Foreshadowed Villain = Not-Cthulhu

There's 6 bad guys, one of whom becomes a good guy, one who doesn't reveal herself until the penultimate chapter, and one that's only in the epilogue to set up a sequel hook.

Not-Cthulhu is barely even a thing later I guess it manipulates events, but I do guess everything is moving towards a super-natural battle royale though and not-cthulhu is certainly a major player but not really a character like some of the other major players become.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like how the hero finished up the book by murdering a naked, unarmed dude after he’d been freed from a curse that we know for a fact makes you evil.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

chitoryu12 posted:

get hosed pitt

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Okay so everybody else hates the ending but.... I thought it made sense.

It was reasonably well foreshadowed that things weren't as simple as the big bad ends the world if he completes the ritual.
All of it was very weighted toward the ending chapters, but it's still sort of clever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Monocled Falcon posted:

Okay so everybody else hates the ending but.... I thought it made sense.

It was reasonably well foreshadowed that things weren't as simple as the big bad ends the world if he completes the ritual.
All of it was very weighted toward the ending chapters, but it's still sort of clever.

My problems with the ending:

1. Like the rest of the book, it's about 2 or 3 times longer than it probably should be.

2. The foreshadowing was so painfully obvious that it made Pitt look kinda like an idiot for not recognizing where he stood in the prophecy.

3. Pitt never actually defeats the villain or gets a chance to make any choice that isn't between "Eternity of torture" and "The world ends". You get a deus ex machina in the form of the villain (who had been apparently killed as part of a sacrifice as a plot point, so it doesn't make a ton of sense that he suddenly surges to life) actually killing the real bad guy and removing any need for Pitt to make a choice.

4. Julie's death is reversed a page or two after it happens, so the one moment that could have had emotional weight doesn't even matter.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
There's something funny about writing a self-insert character who's incredibly dumb and has to have things slowly explained to him in great detail.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

And then after he saves the world by watching other people do all of the work, he murders an unarmed and potentially innocent man in cold blood.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Internet Wizard posted:

And then after he saves the world by watching other people do all of the work, he murders an unarmed and potentially innocent man in cold blood.

It makes sense that regular dude would be okay killing monsters but it seems strange that pitt has absolutely no hesitation about killing another person. And I presume, but could be wrong, that he's never killed another person before.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Internet Wizard posted:

To be fair, he was a dick before he got cursed, too.

Pitt's just doing the government a favor, avoiding the need to explain why we have a 500 year old guy running around.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I had to be dreaming. Either that or I was dead.

The field stretched as far as the eye could see. It was the same unnaturally beautiful place where I had first met the Old Man. Only now, the sky was clear. The storm had passed. The crops that had resisted the winds had survived. Their roots had been anchored deep. Now watered and tested, they would be much stronger than before. I felt the moisture under my bare feet. It was a peaceful place.

"Hello, Boy!"

I turned around. The accent was familiar, but the voice was wrong. It was far too young and happy. "Mordechai?"

"You look surprised to be seeing me, you do." He grinned. I suppose I couldn't call him the Old Man anymore. I still recognized him, but instead of being arthritic and frail, he was in the prime of his life. Young, handsome, and strong. Probably what he looked like when he had first started Hunting. He was not even wearing glasses.

"You're alive?"

"No. Am still dead of course. But no longer stuck. You killed the Cursed One. Prison was opened. Now free I am to go."

"Go where?"

"I not know. Have not been to next place before. Have been stuck for long time."

"What do you know about it?" It could not hurt to ask.

"My friend. You find out that for your own self some day." He held out his hand to shake. I pushed his hand aside and engulfed him in a bear hug. I easily picked him up and squeezed. "Ugh . . . Easy, Boy. Respect your elders!"

Pitt apologizes for using his cane to beat the poo poo out of Machado, but obviously Byreika no longer needs it since his soul is young (and also dead). Standing with Byreika are all of the sacrifices that were once trapped by the artifact, hunters dating back to Babylonian times. They give Pitt a nod of thanks and fade away to whatever awaits on the other side.

quote:

"Prison is broken, so now they go. Only one of us could break away to contact the one from prophecy. I got to be one to teach you, because mine was the best English speaker." He sighed contentedly. "Sorry I could just not tell who you were, but it was not allowed. Only some things I could see, others I could say. Rules were different. But it is all good now. For me, work is done." Mordechai patted me tenderly on the shoulder. "You probably should be waking up now." He turned and began to walk quickly through the crop, running his hands through the rain droplets clinging to the leaves.

Ah yes, the mysterious rules of indeterminate origin that serve to drag out the plot longer.

quote:

"Wait. What do I do now? Is it over?"

He paused, and looked up as if he was enjoying the sun. "My friend, you still have much work to do. You still have calling. Short straw you have drawn, and you not done until you end up like us. What to do now? Hunt monsters of course. For you, is never over."

I raised my hand and waved. "Thanks, Mordechai. Without you we would have lost. The whole world would have lost. Thanks."

"Silly Boy. Wake up now. Pretty girl is waiting for you. Be nice to her. Is brave and shoots very good." He winked. "Not find girl like that very often. Good-bye, friend."

He walked away with a spring in his step, ready to embark on his final adventure. Mordechai Byreika had been one of the greatest Hunters of his day. He had risked all to stop the storm. He had been my mentor and my friend. He turned one final time to grin at me, eyes twinkling, excited to continue on. He faded from sight and disappeared.

Pitt wakes up to Trip standing over him; as you probably guessed because he didn't get a gruesome death scene, he survived Holly's grenade with relatively minor injuries and a bump on the head knocking him out.

quote:

"I'm just lucky that kudzu broke my fall," he mumbled.

That's the most Southern thing I've ever heard.

Sam and Milo survived, though Sam was so paralyzed by wight attacks that he was resorting to biting them at the end. Milo is now being called Saint Milo for his Mormon Holy Hand Grenade. Lee lost his leg, but he'll survive. A total of 15 hunters died, including Chuck Mead. I guess he went rock.

quote:

"Are they all destroyed?"

"According to Julie, you killed the German, so we got six out of the seven," Trip answered.

"Let me guess." It was too much to hope. "Susan?"

"Yep. My mom got away," Julie said. She appeared in front of me, hands on her hips. Surprisingly, she looked fine, a little pale, but fine nonetheless. Not bad considering that I had watched her throat get cut only a few hours before. She extended her hand to me, I took it, and she did her best to pull me up, but failed miserably. I pulled her down with me. Despite the news of her mother, she laughed when she hit the ground.

"I'm glad to see you're okay," I said.

"Yeah, and you have some explaining to do. How the hell am I even alive? The last thing I remember is the pain, and then I started losing blood, and I was out. I woke up down here."

"Thrall saved your life. The last little bit of evil magic he had on his body, he gave to you. He held it on your neck and then it flew away."

"That would explain this." She brushed her hair aside. The side of her throat was still red and tender, but there was now a thick black line across the side, almost like a tattoo. "I'm not really into the whole body art thing, you know."

"Does it hurt?" I asked.

"Not really."

"Does it feel . . . evil?"

"Not that I can tell. If I get the sudden urge to drown a bag of kittens, I'll let you know."

Pitt quickly dumps a water bottle over his face to wash off the blood and make himself kissable, and everyone is shocked to see that his body is brand new; when he received the Old Ones' power to fight Machado, the magic also completely healed him. Every scar is gone and every missing tooth has grown back.

quote:

"Wow . . . It's like ancient evil ultimate makeover," Holly said.

Holly's going to try and find the artifact just so she can make herself look prettier, isn't she?

quote:

We cleared out the rest of the wounded. Between the chaos of the mighty storm and the undead-inflicted carnage across the state, most of the hospitals from here to Birmingham were working around the clock. We still had a lot of cleaning up to do, but for today, MHI was done.

Gretchen had ridden up on the back of a mighty warg. She had taken one look at the back of my head and pronounced me something incomprehensible. I did not know if it was good or bad, but the other orcs had laughed at me, so I took that to be a good thing.

Harbinger was still missing, so Julie and her grandfather had effectively taken control of the chaos. Her brother Nate stood protectively nearby. I barely knew the kid, but he was not going to let any of his remaining family out of his sight. I could respect that. Once the wounded were safely gone, the rest of the gear was packed into the surviving vehicles, and then finally the dead. It was a somber duty, but we were not going to leave our dead in the hands of the local authorities.

Priest gives the fallen hunters their last rites before they can be shipped back to the compound to have their heads removed. You'd think that if vampirism was a concern you would chop their heads off now instead of when the helicopter gets back, but....

Pitt talks to Shackleford Senior and the rest of the family to finally get the story on Harbinger. He's apparently the only lycanthrope with a PUFF exemption, placing himself on a sort of probation to keep the MCB from killing him. He mostly has control over his werewolf form when he willingly transforms, but the full moon still turns him into a monster and he has to be locked in a special cell in the MHI compound basement when that happens. The slave quarters covered in scratches at the Shackleford plantation was his former full moon prison.

quote:

"On holidays Milo throws a cow in the cell with him," Nate added helpfully, "kind of like a special Christmas dinner. In the morning we just hose it down."

Julie also decides that it's finally time to let Pitt in on the ultimate family secret, since he's almost destroyed the universe twice in one week to save her (no really, that's the reasoning she gives):

quote:

"Earl isn't just a special case. He is the special case. As far as we know, he is the oldest living lycanthrope in the world. He is, quite literally, the king of werewolves. He was bitten back in the 1920s. Over the last eighty years, he has aged maybe twenty years. It took him a real long time to get the hang of it, and to keep from flipping out and killing people like a regular werewolf. That's probably why he smokes so much. When he doesn't get his cigarettes, he gets cranky. When he gets cranky, people get eaten."

"Gives a whole new meaning to nicotine fit," Nate quipped. His grandfather groaned. It probably wasn't the first time that joke had been made in the family.

"He changes his name every generation, always trying to keep his secret safe. Only a handful of us know who he really is. My family has protected him the whole time."

I thought back to the Shackleford family estate, and more importantly the wall of family portraits. There had been only one missing, conspicuous by its absence.

"Raymond Shackleford the Second," I said slowly.

"Yep. You're pretty quick for a bean counter. I like this young man, Julie, much better than your last boyfriend, but I digress. I was only a young man when he was bit, but we stood by my daddy," the Boss said. "Shacklefords take care of their own." The other two nodded. He pointed toward the road where some other vehicles were arriving. "Well, looks like we got some company. Come on, Nate, let's give these two a moment." He shuffled away, grandson in tow.

HOW COULD ANYONE HAVE SEEN THIS COMING

quote:

"So let me get this straight." I took Julie by the hand. "You hang out with your great-grandfather, who's some sort of mutant super werewolf. Your mother is a vampire. Your father was a mad genius who almost destroyed the world. Your grandfather is a half-crazed Monster Hunter with one eye and a stainless steel hook for a hand, and he's the normal one of the bunch." I took a deep breath. "Is that about it? Is there any other family weirdness that I need to know about?"

"No. That's pretty much it," she answered, looking a little sheepish. "Can you deal with that?"

I pulled her close. "Julie, at this point you could tell me that you sprout butterfly wings and a third eye on every second Tuesday, and I would still be in love with you."

"Good," she said with a grin. "Well, there's still my Uncle Leroy, but that's complicated . . . so that story is going to have to wait." She pointed at the horizon. There were several black shapes approaching. Helicopters. The Feds had finally arrived.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sperglord Actual posted:

Are you saying there's a use that isn't?

Last page, but grammatically speaking yes. Thou is the nominative form, used for the active subject, thee is the objective/oblique form, used for the receiving object. Thou didst a thing to thee, thine own self. Although it looks like Thrall is actually correct in his usage there, "I give thee back one life".

Regardless, if you see anybody unironically using thee and thou in real life outside of a Ren Faire, do feel free to punch them in the face.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You’re forgetting that thou/thee are the informal forms and Thrall would be using the formal you/ye for a man he does not know well and considers an enemy.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Two things in the 'this is a terrible book' column:

One, MIlf Vampire is portrayed as being able to easily overpower pitt, but still weak enough that Pitt can at least offer some real resistance. So you have the strongest of all the monsters that only Hunters that are so much better than regular humans can fight, are a weight class at most above Pitt's heavyweight MMA level. Sure she has regeneration but put Pitt up against a bear and there won't be any of these cute almost surviving nonsense.

Two, after writing at least a paragraph about each weapon the protagonists use, Larry never tells anything about RPGs or mortars. I'd imagine he gets rather angry about inaccuracies in hollywood movies but has no qualms about dropping in weapons he doesn't understand.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

The Blackhawks set down in the blasted valley. The Apaches circled over the area. The Feds did not speak as they fanned out into the forest to stake out the fallen blocks of ivory debris. There were only a handful of MHI staff left at the scene, as almost everybody else had packed up and left. We found the Boss arguing with Agent Myers near the original National Guard position. The Guardsmen were mostly still there, though their lieutenant had locked himself inside the APC and refused to come out. Agent Franks stood off to the side, listening intently to the radio traffic as his men scoured the forest for anything of interest.

"It's over, Myers. We done killed the drat thing. Biggest PUFF bounty ever!" the senior Shackleford shouted. "See, we didn't need no stinking government help."

"Whatever, you old coot," Myers retorted. "This is our scene now. Turn in your paperwork to the PUFF office for approval. I don't care." He saw me approaching. "Mr. Pitt. What happened to your face?" Agent Franks looked up and scowled at me. Once again he was the ugliest man in our line of work. Haha sucker.

I ignored the comment. "It's over, Myers. The Cursed One is dead. His body's out there with the rubble. Along with that artifact." I pointed in the direction I thought most of the pocket dimension had landed in. "If you find it, I suggest you don't play with it. Just put it some safe place, and leave it the hell alone."

"That's our business now. Don't you worry. It'll be in good hands. Now get out," he ordered. "This scene is our jurisdiction."

"Fine, but I'm warning you. That box is a lot more than you can handle." I nodded at Franks. "A bunch of your men were killed in that cavern. Turned into wights. You had best see to them."

Franks nodded in understanding. I think that we had come to terms.

"Earl!" Julie shouted. She pointed toward the trees. "He's alive."

Sure enough, Harbinger came walking through the trees. Dirty, caked in mud, grass and leaves, dried blood matted over most of his body—he was totally naked, but did not seem to care. He walked past the Feds, most of whom stepped away from him, slightly fearful. He strode directly up to us, stopping only a few feet from Myers.

Harbinger calmly walks up to Myers butt-naked and bums a smoke. He lets Myers know that the MHI and MCB are square and forces Myers to give his team full freedom to operate and to call off all the government agencies after them for violations.

quote:

Myers looked like he had a foul taste in his mouth. "Fine. I'll call off the heat. You're golden for now. But when your people screw up again, your asses are mine."

"Buddy, you should never tell a naked man that his rear end is yours," Harbinger said, totally deadpan. Franks snorted. I think it was almost a human laugh. Myers whirled around and glared at his subordinate. "I've just got one question for you."

"What?" Myers snapped, visibly agitated.

"Once the battle started, and everything went down here, how come you guys didn't just nuke the place to be sure?"

"Who says we didn't try?" Myers answered cryptically. He turned his back on Harbinger and stomped away.

Before they leave, Pitt has to drag out the book longer with one more "one question": did the MCB kill Ray III? They say yes, but nobody believes them.

Before returning to the compound for the decapitation and cremation funerals of the 15 fallen hunters, they give Sgt. Gregorious from the National Guard a business card and he immediately signs up for the next class.

quote:

We watched the news anxiously, just like everybody else in the world. Gradually the panic over the missing five minutes died down, and people, being people, moved past it. Cults were formed, wars were started, nut cases blew stuff up, books were written, theories published, and everyone came away with their own interpretation of the events. As for MHI, we just kept our big mouths shut.

Okay I'm gonna call bullshit on this. You don't just gloss over time reversing and causing wars, terrorist attacks, and new cults. That's huge. Maybe you'd have had more time to write about the worldwide implications of this by cutting out all the dream sequences. Or better yet, don't make it a worldwide phenomenon so you need to figure out how the entire universe changes in response but run out of time to finish the book!

quote:

Milo's wedding reception had mutated into one heck of a party. The compound had been decorated and looked pretty festive for a paramilitary fortress hidden in the backwoods. It was good to have many of the MHI staff united again, this time under much happier circumstances.

The Amazing Newbie Squad sat around a table off to one side in the boisterous cafeteria. Holly was in the process of getting wasted. Trip was frowning in disapproval. Lee was tapping his cane on the floor in time with the music. The dance floor was crowded, and Milo and his new bride appeared to be dancing a cross between the hokey pokey and the funky chicken.

"So are you going to take Earl's offer?" I asked Lee, shouting over the noise.

He sighed, distracted from the spectacle. "I suppose. I've been on exactly three missions and been injured on all of them. Doctor Nelson says my leg is going to have permanent nerve damage." He held up his cane and shook it. "I can't be out there beating monster rear end with you guys anymore, so I would be a sucker not to take it."

"Good. You're the best man for the job. The archives will be in good hands," Trip stated. He looked strange with the shaved head, but the dreads had to go to make room for bandages after the battle at DeSoya Caverns. Personally I thought Trip looked better. Apparently Holly thought so as well.

"Trip, you sexy geek. drat it, let's dance." She stood up and grabbed his hand. He began to protest weakly, but he was no match for a determined Holly. I had to laugh as she dragged him out on the dance floor. They made a weird couple.

Make Holly the protagonist.

Harbinger comes up to Pitt and lets him know that Grant has resigned and will be consulting on a Hollywood horror movie (because gently caress secrecy, am I right?). Because Sam is heading to Denver to lead a new team, Pitt is given the green monster smiley face badge and officially made a team leader in Grant's place.

We time skip to a few months later. Pitt's at the Shackleford plantation and already prepared to ask Julie to marry him because he just can't stop rushing this relationship. Suddenly at 11:00 PM, there's a loud knock on the door. Grabbing their guns, Pitt and Julie breach the front door only to find nobody there. A small white envelope is lying on the porch.

quote:

The letter was handwritten. There were two separate messages on the single sheet of paper, with two very different writing styles. The first was almost perfect calligraphy.

Dear Julie,

We just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that we are doing fine. Your daddy is adjusting to his new lifestyle rather well. He has a real flair for it. We have been traveling, and seeing the world, just like we always talked about doing, but never found the time. Now we have all of the time in the world.

We want to offer a truce. I hope there are no hard feelings about the little incident we had. As a mom I just want what is best for all of my children. Now I see that you need to live your life on your own and make your own decisions, no matter how foolish they may be. You need to learn from your own mistakes.

I wish that I could be at the wedding. I like this Owen. He is a good man. He will be a good husband. If you are wondering what wedding, silly me, I have to realize that you can't read minds. Your poor boyfriend broadcasts his thoughts so loudly that I could pick them up from Mexico. The ring is in the armory. It is rather pretty. Congratulations.

One last offer, as you grow old and approach your mortal end, or if your health is fleeing and creeping sickness overtakes your body, if you choose not the cold embrace of death, call upon me, and I will come. You are my daughter and my offer of immortality still stands. Until that time, if you avoid us, we will avoid you. Search for me and I will kill you and destroy everything that you hold dear with a vengeance terrible beyond your imagination.

Love,

Mom

P.S. I love what you've done with the old place.

The second message was shorter. The writing was blocky and erratic.

Hey Kids,

How's everything going? I hope y'all are well. I'm doing good. Susan is doing good. We are having lots of fun. I'm still real sorry about the whole thing with the lying and sending you to your deaths in Natchy Bottom, but I had to do it. I hope you understand. No hard feelings. See you around.

Love,

Dad

P.S. Kid, treat my girl good or I'll rip out your heart.

You know what? gently caress it. Make the entire rest of the series about Susan and Ray Shackleford III going on quirky vampire lover adventures around the world. That's the book we really need.

quote:

I folded the note, stuck it in the envelope and passed it back. Julie crumpled it into a ball and threw it out the door. I slammed it closed.

"And to think that regular people bitch about their in-laws," I said. "I figure I've got to hold some sort of record on this one."

Julie set her gun against the wall. She fell into my arms with a sigh. I held her tight. "Do you still think normal people suck?" she asked me.

I thought about it for a moment. "Yes. Yes, I do. Normal people suck. Monster Hunting is where it's at."

"Good. I agree." We kissed, vampire mother-in-law be damned. "So where exactly is this ring?"

"Downstairs," I replied nervously. I had had it for weeks. The thought of her saying no was terrifying.

"Owen . . ."

"What, Julie?"

"Yes."

Of course, this book can't be quiiiiite finished yet. We need an epilogue.

quote:

Special Agent Dwayne Myers, interim head of the Monster Control Bureau, had in fact called in his "final option" when they had discovered through the actions of MHI that the Place of Power was just outside of Childersburg, Alabama.

As the moon had approached its zenith, the B1 bomber on station over Alabama had been ordered to release its payload of a single low-yield tactical nuclear device. It was only a five-kiloton weapon, but it would have been of sufficient strength to slag the area immediately around the DeSoya Caverns Park. Had "final option" gone according to plan, it would not have stopped the Old One's plot, since the pocket dimension was separated from the normal world until the final close of the ceremony.

When released, the bomb had a clear path to impact. It was programmable to air burst for maximum surface devastation, or to strike the ground first, for more penetration. Since Special Agent Myers believed the target to be inside the underground cave, he had ordered the bomb to strike as deeply as possible before detonation.

By the time the bomb had traveled its course, the rift between worlds had been prepared. The sphere of evil energy had grown to mammoth size. The Old Ones could not cross the rift into our world, but matter from our world could enter into theirs. The five-kiloton nuclear weapon passed cleanly through the rift and entered the plane of the Old Ones.

The resulting explosion split the individual atoms of a legion of the Old Ones' elite troops, and the edge of the blast singed the carapace of the Overlord itself. This was a grave offense.

It called upon its minions to sally forth and destroy the human world utterly, but in those final moments, the rift closed, cutting off entrance for another five hundred years.

Greatly offended by this slight, it called upon its many servants, demanding an explanation of how the feeble mammals had been able to actually cause a small bit of harm to an Old One. The 10,000-foot-tall crustacean commanded them to discern the cause of the explosion.

The minions searched, trying to discover what foul creature could do such a thing. Though their contact with the human world was limited, they were able to piece together a few clues. They were mostly incorrect and confused, but they were happy to give their Dread Overlord an answer, hoping to keep from being flayed alive for eons. It did not take kindly to failure.

They reported back that the attack must have come from a lone human. It was a single mammal who had dared to launch a feeble atom weapon into their plane of existence. The Dread Overlord was joyous to hear that the perpetrator had been identified, so it only devoured a few dozen of its minions. They were digested painfully for an eternity. It ordered a message sent to the world of the humans. There were still ways to send information, and there were a handful of servants on the human world able to listen and obey.

The message was sent across space and time:

To all minions of the Overlord. Find and utterly destroy the human Hunter known as Owen Zastava Pitt.

And that's it! The first book of the Monster Hunter series is finally done after over 350 pages! What started as a wild ride quickly turned into a slog, intermittently spruced up by the protagonist and his rival both trying to gently caress their vampire mother-in-law.

I'll save some terrible books for later. For now, I'd like to move on to something a little more entertaining to read. My next thread will be on the classic James Bond novels as written by Ian Fleming and all of the food, drink, and car porn within.

It's been fun, y'all. Don't gently caress your in-laws.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Thanks so much for this thread and all the threads you do. They're a highlight of the forums for me. Please post a link whenever you start your next one so we can jump in.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's a good chance I'm wrong about this, but wouldn't the Old Ones caring at all about the mortal Zitt Owen be about as characteristic of the general conception of them as Allied Mastercomputer finding him to be a likable standup guy?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

There's a good chance I'm wrong about this, but wouldn't the Old Ones caring at all about the mortal Zitt Owen be about as characteristic of the general conception of them as Allied Mastercomputer finding him to be a likable standup guy?

It sounds like the nuke ended up being the first thing to ever damage an Old One even slightly in its entire immortal life, which would understandably be a pretty grave insult. But without really having a way to influence the other dimension without artifacts and patsies trying to open a rift, the best it can do for revenge is to follow the scapegoat its minions provided. If it had a choice, it probably would have vaporized the entire dimension instantly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bond thread is live!

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Didn't Grant die after being turned and staked by Julie with a pithy one-liner? What's he doing in Hollywood?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
that epilogue is like the worst, laziest, terrible writing and thats saying alot

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Didn't Grant die after being turned and staked by Julie with a pithy one-liner? What's he doing in Hollywood?

He didn't get staked, just smacked in the face of a rifle butt. You don't turn into a vampire in this universe until your death, which means he'd better hope MHI is keeping tabs on him so he doesn't get in a car crash and turn at the morgue or something.

It's also not really clear how long it takes? They decapitated their fallen on the ship at the beginning of the book, but waited to take all the corpses back to the compound after the final battle before doing a big ceremony.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I like how that one guy holds off a mighty vampire with the strength of True Christian Faith, and then later we celebrate the protagonist killing a powerless, (apparently) repentant man, like Jesus woulda done.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

chitoryu12 posted:

Make the entire rest of the series about Susan and Ray Shackleford III going on quirky vampire lover adventures around the world. That's the book we really need.

This but unironically.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sperglord Actual posted:

This but unironically.

I wasn't being ironic. The rest of the series would absolutely be better if it was just about Holly being team leader and the Shackleford Vampires.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
UGHHHHHHHHH

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Renegret posted:

UGHHHHHHHHH

PreacherTom
Oct 7, 2003

I want to prank them for hours in my basement...
Very much enjoyed this thread, as well as Ready Player One. Looking forward to Bond. Thanks!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

chitoryu12 posted:

I wasn't being ironic.

I know, I just wanted to say that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The first Bond novel gets to a gun about as fast as Correia does, but in a much more interesting manner.

I do know from one of the later books that he does stuff like headshot thugs through the mouth while they scream.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Up Circle posted:

that epilogue is like the worst, laziest, terrible writing and thats saying alot

RIGHT? I really like the idea behind it too. I could see that scenario playing out in a David Wong book and getting a good laugh out of it. But here?

Renegret posted:

UGHHHHHHHHH

You said it, friend.

Thanks for the thread, Chitoryu. Boy did it ever spiral out of control... which I think is one of the book's biggest sins. Just how many characters did this story need? Just how LONG did the story need to be?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunken Baker posted:

Thanks for the thread, Chitoryu. Boy did it ever spiral out of control... which I think is one of the book's biggest sins. Just how many characters did this story need? Just how LONG did the story need to be?

I have no idea if the rest of the series is like this, so I'll leave it up to the two or three people who actually bought the rest of the series to describe them. It feels like Correia has sort of the opposite problem some past bad authors like Ernest Cline and Lani Sarem have: they'll gloss over important events with one line and do timeskips of months in the course of a few paragraphs until the book lasts a year or more, while Correia painstakingly explains almost everything that goes on and tries to cover every base he can as much as he can (hence the finale being a parade of tying up every loose end and saying what each and every character does after the final battle), which also speeds up his protagonist's relationship so that Julie instantly switches from hating him to falling in love with him over the course of about 24 hours after her fiancee gets kidnapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
The parade of tying up loose ends goes away for the most part because it turns into more of a series rather than a one shot. Correia continues being fairly high detail, but alot of the over the top minute like having to explain everything about a gun gets toned down.

If you want to see how much he improved or didn't read the free sample of Son of the Black Sword.

As far as the rest of the books, basically every book is better than the last (writing improves, action remains fairly tense, Pitts not even the protagonist of #3 and #5). On #6 the fans split up a bit because it's a book basically entirely about how Pitt hosed up (in previous books) and he is trying to fix his gently caress up but that's not the way life works and he ends up failing and unable to fix his mistake. It's basically gently caress you Pitt the book, and the book where he has the most character development. It's just a kinda different tone from the gently caress yeah!!! tone of the first 5 and it turned off some fans a bit.

Also the chosen one stuff is kinda neat it's basically otherworldly forces placing bets to give you a bit of destiny that helps with stuff. There are also quite a few chosen ones just depends on what otherworldly forces are betting on you.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 28, 2018

• Locked thread