Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/23032178/bout-tj-dillashaw-cody-garbrandt-finalized-ufc-227

way less cool than DJ/TJ, and it tastes like ash in my mouth to get this instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Aye Doc posted:

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/23032178/bout-tj-dillashaw-cody-garbrandt-finalized-ufc-227

way less cool than DJ/TJ, and it tastes like ash in my mouth to get this instead

Oh for fucks sake. I don't feel like the guy who got knocked out in his first title defense deserves an instant rematch. Call me crazy.

Moraes or Rivera should be getting that poo poo.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What I wouldn't give for Rose to be punching my testes instead of those stupid tennis balls.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

All respect to Max. Really hope he wins

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

i rarely enjoy press conferences but there wasnt a person to hate in this one and it was really nice

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

El Roncho posted:

Oh for fucks sake. I don't feel like the guy who got knocked out in his first title defense deserves an instant rematch. Call me crazy.

Cody hosed tj up at the end of round 1. It was a good fight with a lot of drama surrounding it the rematch will be good

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Skip My Posts posted:

i dont think its gonna happen but imagine max with both of conor's old belts lol

it would be insanely sick

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Gay Horney posted:

Cody hosed tj up at the end of round 1. It was a good fight with a lot of drama surrounding it the rematch will be good

Oh it will be good I'm sure. Dom/TJ 2 would have been good too and to me that would have made a lot more sense.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/MyMMANews/status/981558532603604993

Are they streaming this? Man I hope so.

Look at all the awesome fights that won't actually happen.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

El Roncho posted:

I'm cool with instant rematches, even in the event of a knockout, when the champion has a real solid championship track record. Anderson deserved a rematch. Aldo deserved a rematch, even if wound up not happening. Joanna at least kind of deserves a rematch.

Cody getting one is silly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dana says Brock's coming back

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/981712620544765953

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

its awesome how you can pop and then do wrestling for awhile until your suspension is over and then come back to mma so you can pop again

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
He had about 6 months left on his suspension when he declared himself retired. So he'd still have to ride that out, although there was a rumor that he secretly re-entered the testing pool in preparation to fight Jon Jones at the end of 2017 but then Jones did what Jones does so who knows if that actually happened or not.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Just let Jones and Lesnar do all the steroids and fight

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Lloyd Boner posted:

Just let Jones and Lesnar do all the steroids and fight

they will, in paint ball

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dr. Abysmal posted:

He had about 6 months left on his suspension when he declared himself retired. So he'd still have to ride that out, although there was a rumor that he secretly re-entered the testing pool in preparation to fight Jon Jones at the end of 2017 but then Jones did what Jones does so who knows if that actually happened or not.

Looks like he and his agent had this planned then. If he unretires (he'd want to retire to get rid of the testing pool hassle), then he'd have to be sidelined for 6 months anyway, so it made no sense to serve out the remainder of his 6 month suspension. Once he had 6 months or less left, then it was time to retire if the plan was to leave open the option to come back someday with 6 months notice.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Dr. Abysmal posted:

How do you secretly reenter a testing pool that publishes the results on their website?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

vainman posted:

How do you secretly reenter a testing pool that publishes the results on their website?

There's a good BloodyElbow article about this, basically USADA can't/won't confirm who's in the testing pool at any given time, and UFC's able to grant exemptions to retired athletes. It even points out that Brock specifically was already exempted before https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12/11/16740288/ufc-usada-loophole-secret-exemptions-from-drug-testing-peds-steroids

quote:

Normally an athlete has to be in the testing pool for six months if they “un-retire.” In the past this clause was four months. It was part of this four-month testing period that Brock Lesnar skipped when he signed to fight at UFC 200. Instead of being tested for the 16 weeks retired athletes were supposed to under the anti-doping policy, he was tested for around five weeks.

It subsequently emerged that Brock Lesnar provided an out-of-competition sample prior to UFC 200 which was positive for the banned substance clomiphene. The result of the test wasn’t returned until after his UFC 200 bout.

The decision to exempt Lesnar was controversial at the time, even before he tested positive for a banned substance. It’s possible other athletes have had similar exemptions without the public ever becoming aware of it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jon Jones v Lesnar

or

Stipe/Cormier v Lesnar

C'mon dudes, you know either of those would be insane.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I don't care about Brock Lesnar at all.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

I don't care about Brock Lesnar at all.

Same, but him popping again is gonna be funny

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Lesnar is 40 years old and had to cheat to win his last fight against a guy who can't wrestle 2 years ago

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Lesnar is 40 years old and had to cheat to win his last fight against a guy who can't wrestle 2 years ago

On the other hand, that fight was not close at all.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
https://streamable.com/t/j5rex
This is lovely

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Also we were making GBS threads on Ariel in the last thread and I wasn't able to articulate why I hate him so bad but watching this max interview its just how negative he is. He asks five questions about the weight cut after max makes it clear he doesn't want to talk about it, continually asks about Max's injuries, and a bunch of questions about Conor McGregor.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Watching Lesnar maul people is a top 10 joy in life

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
DC: Max what's the biggest motivator for you in this fight, legacy, competition, or money?
Max: Legatish-, uh, legacy and competition

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
DC, Jones, and Stipe would all finish Lesnar come on

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

pro-est of pro clicks

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Biafraid posted:

Yeah and it’d be dope as hell

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Biafraid posted:

Lloyd Boner posted:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Brock fighting is loving awesome no matter what. Either you see a gorilla do gorilla poo poo or you see a gorilla get neutralized. Same thing applies to ngannou except you have to change the metaphor

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

drat, Holloway rules so loving hard.
I love Joanna but how many champions have been successful in an immediate rematch after getting (T)KOed? Or any fighters I guess, since immediate rematches aren’t too common.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

FishBowlRobot posted:

drat, Holloway rules so loving hard.
I love Joanna but how many champions have been successful in an immediate rematch after getting (T)KOed? Or any fighters I guess, since immediate rematches aren’t too common.

I think only Randy Couture has won an immediate rematch for the belt.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Biafraid posted:

I read this as finish on Lesnar to be honest with you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What I wouldn't give for Rose to be punching my testes instead of those stupid tennis balls.

This post is so awful I'm gonna probate you unless I see something gloriously beautiful in the next 30 secon-

Nevermind :3:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I read this as finish on Lesnar to be honest with you.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rigel posted:

On the other hand, that fight was not close at all.

wow he only had to take all the roids to beat an equally old guy who he is tailor made to beat... and in a none-too-spectacular fashion. truly brock remains the baddest man on the planet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Covington said he wants to fight Whittaker, which lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

What fight did that...cafeteria tray...?...get thrown into the ring during? I want to watch that.

e: oh it's fake :(

• Locked thread