Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
lol

Marching Powder posted:

also this is all really bizarre. hope nothing happens to the fights that are actually good.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Ulio posted:

This probably a good thing for Dana, now he has some sort of leverage on Conor. People will still buy his fight, this probably helped his case lol.

yeah but even if conor gets the same punishment jon jones got, which is a slap on the wrist, that still is gonna set conor back another year. another year of his prime gone for nothing. and that's before you have ufc employees and barclays employees and michael chiesa trying to sue him for parts of that $100 million of his

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

threeagainstfour posted:

He doesn't actually want to fight anyone so I doubt he cares. He could have already booked a Khabib fight for a zillion dollars if he really wanted to beat up Khabib for being mean to Artem or posting a meme of him running from a bear on twitter or whatever.

conor doesn't want to fight anybody but UFC wants him to fight somebody. while this drama is good for selling a future fight, there's way too much poo poo to be resolved first before conor will be booked to fight anybody.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

TheReverend posted:

Re:Rose.

I am a big Rose fan but mental stability isn't really her strong point so I can something like this causing issue for her.

everybody on that bus is 24 hours out from having to make weight so they're all already miserable & knocking on death's door. then like 30 coked up hooligans start throwing poo poo at the tour bus. nobody is feeling fine, even a criminal warlord like khabib

Triticum Guzzler posted:

thankfully she had her service animal with her. the dog came too.

lol

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

agreed

also agreed

mma is cool

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Nierbo posted:

everything he does is calculated
- Brendan "Big Brown" Schaub.

or.... cocaine

vainman posted:

New York is going to ban MMA again

as they should

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

like...I watch MMA casually and understand cutting as basically losing water weight. What does "lost hours of cut time" mean? Would he be blasting it on stationary bike in a trash bag for hours on end or something?

possbly yeah, or in the sauna or in a bath or whatever he needs to do. i'm assuming nyc adopted the early morning weigh-ins, so chiesa was fewer than 24 hours out from stepping on the scales. the most drastic parts of the weight cut happen in the last few hours since that's when you can almost kill yourself from dehydration.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

"I am laughing inside"

"I am also hollow from dark souls"

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why do people keep saying this about coked up prize fighters?

yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Conor did make a ton of cash, but a few years of cocaine and buying luxury cars and lawsuits will wipe that out

That's why Brock Lensar is for sure the goat cause he made all those millions fighting in UFC and just moved to a farm in Canada. GSP doesn't count cause he was already in Canada

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

reed harris is allowed to be scared of delivery equipment imo because he made the wec and conor mcgregor wouldn't have the opportunity to throw it at him had he not done so

i'd imagine on the scale of guys you can't gently caress with when it comes to UFC it's Joe Silva first and Reed Harris next. Conor really did gently caress up badly

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

luke thomas elaborated just now on some live stream and he confirmed that yeah UFC can't control it directly but they have been lobbying for certain refs to not be used again for a long time and apparently athletic commissions are finally listening. mazzagatti and yamasaki are out

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

Tempted to go big on no to Conor being released in 2018 at - 250. There's no loving way.
dude it's the safest bet I've ever seen. If UFC still hasn't given up on Jon Jones for loving over like 3 major PPVs they're not gonna cut Conor cause he potentially put Chiesa vs Pettis in danger. I'd take those odds at -1000

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

well now conor is for sure getting sued

kinda impressive that Conor took out 3 fights with one dolly. You gotta give him that, he's efficient now with his energy

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Google Butt posted:

Yeah but why did they bum rush the bus, guy

it started earlier this week when Tony Ferguson pulled out of the fight, and Khabib publicly called Conor a coward for not taking the fight on 6 days notice. It's been spiraling out from there

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

projecthalaxy posted:

This is the worst extracurricular brawl ever right? Like Stockton vs Mayhem on CBS and Hammer House vs the Ruas in Japan are nowhere near this level of insane, right?

noooo the strikeforce brawl was way worse. that had gus johnson trying to calm down nick diaz and mauro fainting in the corner on live television

also the mayhem thing is still hilarious cause it was over sharing the spotlight with jake shields

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 6, 2018

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tony Ferguson is the only winner in this incident. Nobody cares that he hosed up the card in a worse way by wearing sunglasses, and now it makes the possibility of the Khabib fight being rebooked for 5th time much more likely than Conor being cleared to fight by the end of the year. Dana might even be too upset to strip his interim title.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

to be fair paul daley should have probably been invited back into UFC by now. he punched koscheck of all people

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hopefully they'll do the right thing and pay the fighters their show money that had their fights pulled by this poo poo through no fault of their own

conor will be paying them their show money if I understand law correctly, which I do, because I'm a lawyer

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Stipe is good poo poo

also good poo poo

I think a lot of goons and people on the internet owe dana white an apology

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

Cocaine doesn't make you do poo poo like that, you guys have watched scarface too many times.

all of my favorite UFC stars have abused cocaine (Jones, Chuck, Melvin, Machida in his wilder days) so I know a coked up fighter when I see one. that's Conor

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim is probably our most trusted source on cocaine in these threads so it's not like I don't take his opinion seriously, but at the same time, this is good.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Matt Lindland posted:

poo poo... bad news for Conor... If they pursue the death penalty he's going to have to plead out to 3rd Degree Intent To Destroy Life... That's a minimum of 6 years in Jail plus they'd make him get rid of the gorilla tattoo.

lol

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

new stars always come up in the fight game so buying UFC as a long term thing isn't bad at all.

the problem is UFC has no control over how those stars are made, where they come from, how they handle success, etc. In other sports leagues it's pretty easy to organize that stuff.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Ditch posted:

I keep seeing this talking point and I'm not sure it's true.

if stars/draws were a once in a lifetime thing then UFC would have folded immediately after Chuck had his run.

like I said UFC has no control over when/how they happen, but new guys always come up eventually. They don't come up one after the other, if they did then UFC wouldn't put up with half the poo poo they do from guys like Conor and Jones. But in a few years someone is going to come up that's gonna be as popular or maybe even more popular than Conor, and definitely Jon Jones who is only a fringe star in the sports world/pop culture. If WME is in MMA for the long haul then they're gonna be fine. They just have to hope the next stars are more like GSP and Brock (post-Coors light) and less like Conor and Jones.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

this sport is a loving mess lol

Yep. Just disappointing for everybody involved.

UFC needs to go back to having insurance fighters training for these last-minute injuries.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lloyd Boner posted:

It’d be pretty sick if Pettis suddenly turns into 2013 Pettis and subs Khabib instantly

It’s the only way to keep the main event good. Otherwise Khabib vs Pettis 2018 is the most dead man walking squash match UFC has had since Bader fought that 40 year old dude.

Tbh I’m sorta glad the Holloway fight is off cause even though I respect Max more than any other fighter right now for what he attempted, he was doomed. There was almost no way he’d beat a healthy Khabib with no prep and coming off an injury. That dude deserves a real training camp for his 155 title shot

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Unfunny Poster posted:

What's the given reason for Holloway being "medically unfit" to fight?

He probably had a real bad cut trying to go from 180 to 155 in a few days, then the doc noticed his foot still wasn’t properly attached to his ankle, then noticed Dana white nervously try to bribe him

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dan Didio posted:

I wager that Khabib doesn't fight.

and if so, ufc really needs to consider making this card free. Joanna vs rose 2 is cool but would be the only worthwhile fight for a $65 ppv? There’s no way. Even Mighty Mouse wouldn’t ask for that

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

khabib vs pettis was a very compelling fight in january 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

khabib with 1 hand tied behind his back could beat current day pettis, so ufc doesn't need to ask him and his team if he's cool with the matchup.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Skip My Posts posted:

raging al vs khabib come on lol

i'll watch it. raging al has holes and his problems but he's a tough guy with tons of anger, decent boxing skills so he could actually threaten khabib here and there.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

what. in the gently caress

dude it's 0.2 pounds

nyc athletic commission dudes are just being dicks now

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dan Didio posted:

Paul Felder, baby.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/TeamRocBiggie/status/982279338195173376

Please nbe true, that's too funny not to be true

i mean, there's just no way lol

NY athletic commission is taking control of UFC and they've been in the mma game for 2 years.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Matt Lindland posted:

Unfortunately it appears that you will strip conor of nothing, and furthermore, you may be do nothing cunts.

lol

it's true

conor mcgregor saw it all along

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

JaySB posted:

That can't be true about ranking right since Max wasn't even ranked at LW?

max holloway is currently ranked on the official p4p list, which supersedes lightweight rankings. i'm an official for the ny athletic commission, MMA division

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

How loving dumb is the UFC for further toppling the house of cards by not just paying Pretty Tony? Now is not the time for playing hardball.

it depends. khabib vs pettis isn't gonna sell a ton of PPVs. the card already took a massive hit when ferguson pulled out, and then further took damage when conor threw a hand cart, and now took even more damage when Max got pulled. If Pettis is asking for a million dollars or more to get stomped by Khabib you might just take your losses if you're UFC. You can always book Khabib vs the winner of next week's main event a few months from now

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The Human Crouton posted:

Do we have any science that shows that cutting weight helps? I think I'd be able to beat someone 20 pounds heavier than me if they had 0% water content in their body 24 hours ago.

not science per se but you can check this out:

https://tim.blog/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

tl;dr: some dude did the same cut most UFC fighters do by losing 20 pounds in a week. He measured his endurance, vertical jump, and how many times he could bench press. He saw that while he was diminished, he was still near his pre-cut performance after rehydrating in 24 hours. So yeah, if you can manage the weight cut it's better to fight smaller dudes

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

https://twitter.com/niallmcgrath4/status/982286142002221057

owns.

NY Commission dude: eh Pettis you're trash, you can't fight a real fight anymore. Felder, nobody knows who you are. Raging Al... how bad do you want it?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

why isn't #14 Evan Dunham being considered? He fought former LW champion Sean Sherk like 9 years ago to a split decision loss. You can sell that to NY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Digital Jedi posted:

The rankings are made up anyways can't the UFC just make Paul a ranked fighter? Fighters jump and move around those rankings all the time even without fighting.

they'd have to call Ariel Helwani for a couple of favors...

eeesh, that bridge got burned a while ago

• Locked thread