Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Commander Keene posted:

Do you have Google Drive/Dropbox/Pastebin/whatever cloud storage option? If so put it on there and post a link maybe?

Try this one.

If it works, note that if you need to find a map in the save tool, you need the Full Name, Level, Dungeon type, and either the Seed value or the location hex codes. I tried to provide both where i could but the bottom table at the end does not have seed values. The last table is from Yabd's site.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Since it doesn't look like any more votes are coming in, I might as well call this now.

Theo: 5
Steph: 3
Lumin: 2
Ron: 1
Valeria: 1
Slasha: 1
Everyone else: 0

Theo, Steph and Lumin will be tagging along, and Solitaire will be a Warrior so as not to use the same weapon as Lumin.

mastersord posted:

Try this one.

If it works, note that if you need to find a map in the save tool, you need the Full Name, Level, Dungeon type, and either the Seed value or the location hex codes. I tried to provide both where i could but the bottom table at the end does not have seed values. The last table is from Yabd's site.

This is great, thanks! I'm using the same site you got the table from for my monster data (with some additions of my own due to incomplete stuff) and it's been really good. I guess I'm doubly grateful for yab's datamining!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Epicmissingno posted:

Since it doesn't look like any more votes are coming in, I might as well call this now.

Theo: 5
Steph: 3
Lumin: 2
Ron: 1
Valeria: 1
Slasha: 1
Everyone else: 0

Theo, Steph and Lumin will be tagging along, and Solitaire will be a Warrior so as not to use the same weapon as Lumin.

This is great, thanks! I'm using the same site you got the table from for my monster data (with some additions of my own due to incomplete stuff) and it's been really good. I guess I'm doubly grateful for yab's datamining!

Glad I (and Yabd) can help!

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Poke.

Also, remind me, have we actually taken Lumin as part of our party before?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
*Poke poke*

On a DQ related note, apparently, Dragon Quest 3 is getting a HD-2D remake, that is to say, they're giving it an Octopath makeover.

https://youtu.be/FmfiqydPjVk

Honestly, I'm looking forward to it.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Part 37: Dark Days in Flower Fields

Music: Pub Polka

Ooh, my head... That nightmare was horrible.

Steph! Such force was unneccessary. You should be ashamed.

D'you think I hit her too hard?

It was not necessary to hit her in the first place! We do not want to outright kill her. A simple shake would likely suffice.

Funny, I thought you'd be the first to-

Oh for the Almighty's sake, I am not about to betray you all! I thought I got away from this nonsense.

Heya, guys! How're we all doing?

Oh, we're fine! Dunno about Solitaire, though. I'm really sorry about that.

As long as no singing takes place, I think we will all be fine.

That's no fun, though! Besides, I bet it'll really cheer you up.

We'll be heading off to Bloomingdale with a party of Solitaire (as a Warrior), Steph, Theo and Lumin. It's Lumin's first successful party vote, too! She may be the worst vocation in the game, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Might as well get the levelling up out of the way, as usual. Solitaire doesn't have spells as a Warrior and doesn't get enough skill points to learn anything from these levels.

Lumin goes from level 15 to 18, learning Bounce! I don't think we've seen this one before, but it's pretty interesting.

Scandal Eyes, too. We'll take a look at both in a sec.

And Steph reaches level 19 and picks up a passive boost to her attacks. Theo...doesn't get anything because he was in the party for the last bit of the adventure and is all caught up.

Music: Are You A Loser

Hee hee! I have to stop my adoring fans from getting at me somehow.

Bounce is a spell that targets the user and grants the exact same buff as Solitaire's Magic Mirror - it reflects all enemy magic. Just like with Magic Mirror friendly spells will go right through, though.

Oh no! The paparazzi!

Lumin, you have neither fans nor paparazzi. Cease this charade.

That is not true! I have fans. Not many, but...but I'll get more, you'll see!

Scandal Eyes is a group-effect Dazzle. That's about it! It's more accurate than the spell and only costs 3 MP so it seems pretty good if you like Dazzle.

Music: Alchemy Pot (VIII)

My alchemical prowess is unparallelled! Muahahahahaha! ...Please excuse me; that laugh runs in the family.

Still not convinced on the betrayal thing.

We're also picking up a new weapon for Steph via, of course, alchemy: a gigasteel bar! This thing's made from the iron bar back in the Dourbridge shop as well as the standard gigasteel materials, and it's very powerful for this point in the game at 62 Attack. Highly recommended for staff users as soon as it's available.

Music: Cross the Fields, Cross the Mountains

This is the way to Bloomingdale, right?

Yay, Bloomingdale! It's a really influential place. If I get some fans there, word'll spread like crazy!

Good luck with that.

Don't be such a killjoy, Theo! Lumin's trying her best.

Now that the preparation is out of the way, the path to Bloomingdale is over to the south of the Heights of Loneliness. It's totally possible to go there first and ignore Garth Goyle until we have every other fygg (similar to the Alltrades Abbey plot!) but this is the way the level curve goes and I am ever a slave to it.

And of course there's a new map here. With new monsters, too! Let's check them out.

Did that shield just...wink at me?

The shield is also a monster, or so I am led to believe. Be sure to keep your guard up.

Like the shield?

...Indeed.

#079 Gum shield posted:

code:
Humanoid Family
HP: 80         MP: 255
Attack: 80     Defence: 101  Agility: 81
Exp: 226       Gold: 108
Elemental resistances
: 100 : 100 : 100 : 100
: 100 : 100 : 125

Status resistances
: 075 : 075 : 100 : 100
: 075 : 000 : 050 : 075
: 050 : 075
: 100 : 075 : 100 : 100

Common Drop: Light shield (1/64)
Rare Drop: Iron broadsword (1/128)

Be extra careful what you send this monster's way - you might find it coming right Back Atcha.

Luckily for them, the sheer scale of their faces forces the eyes to focus on size rather than sex appeal.

These guys are back again, and this time they're yellow! They're just as defensive as before.

They have Back Atcha, a shield skill which lets them clobbah that there Kirby nullify single-target attacks that come their way and strike back with a normal-strength attack. They can also defend and have a 4% block rate...so they're best saved for last since they're not very threatening.

Ha! I know what you're up to. That combining trick won't work twice.

#001 Slime posted:

code:
Slime Family
HP: 76         MP: 4
Attack: 52     Defence: 65   Agility: 128
Exp: 72        Gold: 24
Elemental resistances
: 125 : 125 : 125 : 125
: 125 : 125 : 125

Status resistances
: 100 : 000 : 100 : 100
: 000 : 100

Common Drop: Medicinal herb (1/8)
Rare Drop: Slimedrop (1/16)

Common monsters that are found all over the world. Their simple yet lovable form attracts many admirers.

They're unimpressive alone, but if a few of them focus the force of friendship, they can make a miraculous metamorphosis.

Remember the slimes from Newid Isle that turn into slime stacks? Well, these are more of the same. Higher stats than regular slimes, slightly different resistances, you know the drill.

They'll summon more than three this time, though.

Up to eight, in fact.

You sure you expected this?

O-of course I did! Hmph.

#090 King slime posted:

code:
Slime Family
HP: 245        MP: 32
Attack: 136    Defence: 95   Agility: 75
Exp: 600       Gold: 164
Elemental resistances
: 100 : 200 : 050

Status resistances
: 050 : 050 : 100 : 100
: 050 : 075 : 025 : 025
: 050 : 050
: 075 : 075 : 075 : 075

Common Drop: Slimedrop (1/8)
Rare Drop: Slime crown (1/256)

These superior slimes ooze authority, bringing their bulk to bear on opponents and mending mates with Multiheal.

They're built when bands of blobby buddies stick together to find strength in numbers.

King slimes are one of the more iconic monsters in the Dragon Quest series! They're exactly what you'd expect from their appearance: big and bulky. 245 HP is a lot!

Aha! Always be prepared for a big glob of goo to launch itself at you.

Aieeee! That's very specific, but it does help!

They have two abilities that are essentially just stronger normal attacks. They're mostly there for flavour.

Also, if an enemy combatant gets low on health, they'll proceed to cast Multiheal. We don't have this spell yet, but it does exactly what it sounds like it does: it heals the entire party. King slimes don't come with any friends right now due to how they're formed but later they might decide to group up and it can be a pain. As if to counteract this, they sometimes just do nothing and waste a turn.

Oh, and they drop slime crowns, a piece of headgear that's kind of rare and is used in a few really good alchemy recipes much later. The downside is...that's the lowest drop rate in the game. Don't go for them now.

What are these creatures? They seem to be some sort of spliced-together abominations. Let us put them out of their misery!

#072 Trigertaur posted:

code:
Beast Family
HP: 100        MP: 12
Attack: 98     Defence: 100  Agility: 85
Exp: 350       Gold: 136
Elemental resistances
: 100 : 125 : 100 : 100
: 100 : 100 : 100

Status resistances
: 050 : 075 : 050 : 075
: 050 : 050

Common Drop: Magic beast hide (1/8)
Rare Drop: Holy lance (1/128)

Intimidating enemies who damage defence with Sap, then take foes to task with their tridents. Whistle to really rile them.

Created when top-flight tiger knights merged with their mounts to make themselves faster on the field of battle.

Trigertaurs are weird tiger-centaur things that we could technically have encountered earlier but didn't because they only start appearing out on the map near Bloomingdale. They're also vaguely bulky and annoying to fight, but unlike gum shields they have an actual offensive presence.

...Unless they decide to do nothing, as this one kindly demonstrates.

As their blurb states, they like to use Sap so they or other monsters can do more damage. Given that they do 20-ish already with my current gear setup, that can be a bit dangerous.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa!

An impressive war cry! All the better to take attention off myself.

During all this Steph's building up tension because I need something to do while waiting for these things to use their moves.

No real reason this is getting mentioned now.

Hey, this being prepared thing really helps, Steph! Thanks a bunch. ...Er...Steph?

Trigertaurs also have Party Pooper, the same party attack Lleviathan used. Eh.

Hiiiiiiyah!

Such devastation...

I lied! There was a reason to show off Steph gaining tension! As it turns out, critical hits at 100 tension hurt. A lot.

look i just wanted to show off big damage number, okay

Aww, that thing is adorable! Can we keep it? I can make it my mascot!

No. Absolutely not. I still remember the teeth...

#080 Pink sanguini posted:

code:
Demon Family
HP: 85         MP: 9
Attack: 85     Defence: 92   Agility: 104
Exp: 236       Gold: 112
Elemental resistances
: 125 : 100 : 100 : 100
: 100 : 125 : 125

Status resistances
: 100 : 000 : 100 : 075
: 050 : 100

Common Drop: Moonwort bulb (1/16)
Rare Drop: Nectar (1/32)

Sanguinis who have cast off their cowskin kiddie coats for pink adolescent pelts. They love to have travellers for tea!

Although adolescents, they're far from fully fledged. Ah, if only they could stay like this forever...

They may be the last new monster on the way to Bloomingdale, but pink sanguinis aren't too different to teeny sanguinis from the start of the game. They're easily shut down by status effects (not that they're really needed since they're fairly frail) and don't really have much they can do.

Okay, yeah, definitely not adorable. This thing just tried to rip my throat out!

They'll go for the jugular, doing damage and healing them for a portion of what they dealt out. It's very unimpressive. They'll also dodge 4% of the time...and that's all.

Anyway, while Bloomingdale is over to the west, there are still a couple of gathering spots on the way. First off is this one, which houses wakerobins. I legitimately don't remember if we had a good source of these before, but we're about to get an even better one than this and they're not useful for much regardless. Meh.

And sleeping hibiscuses are over to the south on a small peninsula. Again, we have a source for these already, but this is better, and we're about to get an even better option for them. There's more stuff in the north Bloomingdale area, but...there's really no reason to go there yet.

We're finally here, yay! Let's go in right now.

Hey, stop dragging me!

Music: Come to our Town

Welcome to the city of Bloomingdale! We've been hearing about this place for quite a while, and we're finally here.

The Pride of Bloomingdale, our very own magnificent vessel, once sailed the high seas from Slurry Quay to Stornway. Pretty good, eh? Interested? I know you are! How jolly! You'd better start buttering up Ms Marion Bloome, then!

No, I'm really not interested. I still feel seasick just thinking about it...

Just think how much easier your fygg hunt would be if you had your own boat. Come on! You've got to find this girl who owns it and charm her into letting you have it! Should be a slice of cake!

Do I have to? Ugh. This ship thing is going to kill me, I swear.

The town's item shop is right here at the entrance, and hey, those gathering spots right outside are already all but obsolete. We can also buy superior medicines now but they're really not worth it because of alchemy.

Nothing new on the second page either, but again, softworts are newly buyable even if we can easily alchemise them.

But since this is a shop, we have a bunch of Gleeban groats from various sources and haven't sold them for a good while. 700G's not amazing any more but it's still nice to have a little extra.

Ha! Erinn's inn is so much better than this place, it's not even funny.

The inn here costs 8G per person and has a little flavour attached! It'll come up much later in a sidequest but other than that it isn't really relevant.

Perhaps this fellow is looking to obtain that boat as well. We may have competition!

Really? He's looking kinda suspicious to me.

That's why everyone in the town takes advantage of the poor mite.

It was only after eating that particular fruit that she finally developed a bit of strength at last.

That's got to be a fygg!

Why does this guy know about it, anyway? I get that she's famous, but not that much.

...Hm? How do I know? Oh, all of us staff here and the inn were employed at the Bloome residence once upon a time.

I wonder why they're not there any more...? Oh well, probaly not important.

You're right, it's not important. But you know what is important?

Let me guess. Getting the fygg from her? You're so single-minded.

Bloomingdale's wealthiest citizen, Ms Marion Bloome, ate such a fruit and completely recovered from a grave sickness.

Wow, she's the richest person here? Hmm, maybe I can get her to sponsor me...

But if I make friends with her, I shall probably get oodles of lovely presents...

'Scuse me, what're you doing?

This young girl appears to be attracting several greedy ne'er-do-wells. Perhaps we should stage an intervention?

While we're in the east part of town, it turns out that there's a well tucked away in the very corner of town behind the inn.

...There's nothing here we can do right now. That's another cell door to add to the list, though, for when we can!

But she suddenly got better just recently. I bet old Mr and Mrs Bloome are looking down with a smile to see her well at last.

The west of town is where most of the shops are. First up, the weapon shop.

Platinum swords, battle forks and deadly nightblades are new. the sword's not as good as our current gigasteel model, but the knife is slightly stronger than the batterfly knife Freddy's been using! No special effects on either, though. The battle fork is a spear that we will be picking up because I feel like using spears on Solitaire for a little bit. I might take a little bit to remember to do that, though. Oh, and it does extra damage to Aquatic family monsters!

Unusually, this shop has three knives! The falcon knife earring is very special because, while it has a measly 1 Attack, any attacks made with it hit twice. It's one of the most powerful knives in the game because if you get enough innate Strength it becomes ridiculous, but...look at that cost. Yikes. Watermaul wands have the same effect as battle forks, doing more damage to Aquatics (but it's a wand so it doesn't matter). It has an unusually high MP absorption rate, too, but that stat feels pretty much meaningless. And the chain whip is kinda bad; we could outperform it by upgrading a snakeskin whip. Which I forgot to do; Lumin has a chain whip now. I do not always make the best decisions.

The pillar of strength is worse than Steph's gigasteel bar, so we're ignoring it. It's also been alchemisable for a while now! Crow's claws are...stronger than gigasteel? And they have an Agility boost attached too? We could upgrade them if we were willing to give up an agility ring, too! They're really good, in other words. Next up, tortoiseshell fans. I've been recommending making these and their upgrade with alchemy for ages. Do it for fan users. It's good. And then the edged boomerang is a straight Attack upgrade over what we have on Theo currently, but...he's really not using normal attacks so I'm ignoring it. Technically we could alchemise something better, but...we'd need my archnemesis, iron nails. Screw iron nails.

"Bird-related recipes are all about flurry feathers and crow's claws. Find some, and you'll be the envy of your friends!"

Hey, speaking of the crow claws, this is where we can learn to upgrade them! Kestrel claws, as mentioned earlier, take crow's claws and slap an agility ring onto them. Job done! We got a free one a while back so if you're not using it go ahead and upgrade. Kite claws are these plus two enchanted stones, which we can't get for ages so don't worry about them. Fowl fans need a war fan, two flurry feathers and two crimson corals. Flurry feathers are annoying to get but we will have a couple of sources available soon! They do fire damage and are slightly stronger than tortoiseshell fans, but...just use a black tortoise fan.

Both of these are bad for different reasons. Eaglewings are boomerangs that need a swallowtail, kestrel claws and three flurry feathers...but kestrel claws are really valuable and swallowtails aren't obtainable until the tail end of the game, after we've finished looking for the fyggs. Eaglewings will be decent then but this is way too early to see how to make them. And feathered caps are here way too late; they require a leather hat and a flurry feather but we can't find any feathers until around now and they got outclassed as soon as the Krak Pot showed up. Yuck.

"Why does he wear fur and stick his tongue out all the time?" she asked me. Well! "Because he's a dog!" That's what I told her, of course. And you know what she said? "Oh, nice to meet you, Adog."

Okay, that's just weird, even for a kid. Taking advantage of someone like that is just cruel...

The armour shop's right next door here. Platinum shields are slight upgrades from our iron ones, but are worse than gigasteel and only have fire resistance instead of fire and ice. Iron masks are very heavy and can only be worn by warriors, gladiators and paladins, and are worse than steel helmets. They're not great. Warrior's helms are only for, er, warriors, and they're quite a bit stronger but not as good as gigasteel. And circlets are actually pretty good! They're headgear for the magically-inclined vocations, leaning more towards Might than Mending, and can be upgraded immediately with a gold ring and bracer to make them even better.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen cat ears outside of alchemy books, but they're basically equivalent to the bunny ears we've had since Stornway but with the Magical Might and Mending stats swapped. Make a gold circlet instead...although we will need a pair later regardless. Silver mail is another good one; using the same metrics that I've been using, it's better than steel but worse than gigasteel...but it's also in the same boat as the circlet in that it's got a considerably better gold version. It's almost the same recipe, too! And it even resists magic. Very useful armour. There's also a bit of an exploit involved: silver mail costs 4000G, gold rings cost 220G, and gold bracers cost 350G. Gold mail sells for 4900G. If you can't be bothered to do the maths, that's a profit of 330G. Not too much at the moment, but if you buy and alchemise in bulk, it adds up.

Anyway, next are tussler's tops. They're male-only martial artist gear and are therefore useless to us. They're pretty good! They've been alchemisable for a while, though. Smart suits are also exclusive to male characters but they're not very good; stylish, yes, but not good. Spangled dresses are basically the same thing for female characters: they look nice, but they have low Defence and no other effects.

Best vests have very low Defence but they do have decent magical stats, so they might be worthwhile. They're also very snazzy. Warrior's gloves and trousers are more parts of the warrior set that we saw earlier, and they're decent. The gloves are great and have both Defence and a good amount of Deftness (but are male-only), while the trousers are betweeen steel and gigasteel kneecaps (we're buying a set because I thought it was a good idea at the time). Snazzy skirts are leggings for female characters who like Magical Mending; they're not very useful to me. Loud trousers are leggings for minstrels that only have Defence and are thus...okay? I guess? They're steel-equivalent. Tussler's trousers are very similar but for martial artists, and like the top we could have alchemised them earlier. Lots of single-vocation equipment here, apparently.

Do you think I know anything about boats? Really? It looks okay, I guess. Very boaty.

This ship used to rule the high seas from the Lonely Coast to the shores of Coffinwell. The Pride of Bloomingdale, she's called! But ever since her owner passed away, she's been left to rot. He was a merchant, you know. A bit of a tycoon, truth be told.

So it's not being used right now, huh? I don't really want to, but I guess we have to ask if we can take it.

What's that, my girl? You've been looking for a boat? So someone still has need of the old girl... You'd better speak to Ms Bloome up at the mansion, then. I'm sure she'll oblige. She's an outrageously generous young woman. Tell the doorman you ran into me at the ship and I'm sure he'll let you in to see her. Marion's her name.

Fine! Fine. I'll get this stupid boat, and then I'll avoid using it as much as I can. Okay? Good.

This door's locked and apparently it opens in the postgame, not based on any keys! Yeah, I dunno either. It's not like there's a sprawling dungeon down there or anything, it's just...another building. With pots in it. And barrels.

So anyway, there's a second armour shop marked on the map, and it's in this building. What's up with that?

Remember how the other armour shop didn't have any shoes? This is why. For whatever reason there's a dedicated shoe shop here in Bloomingdale. Every single set of shoes here is locked to a specific vocation, too. This first page is all Defence-based boots; warrior's boots and Femiscryan footwear are for warriors (the latter being female-locked), frugal footwear is for priests and has some Magical Mending, wizard wellies are for mages and have some Magical Might, acroboots are for minstrels and have some Agility, and cowboy boots are for armamentalists and have nothing special. We're buying the Femiscryan footwear for Solitaire.

Only two pages on this one. Hip boots are almost identical to cowboy boots but have one more point of Defence and look different. Wow! Saintly sollerets are for paladins and have the highest Defence of any boots so far. Even higher than gigasteel! But in a normal playthrough paladins aren't available until the next town. All the other shoes have a 3% Evasion chance; sheepskin shoes are for priests and have Magical Mending, siren sandals are for mages and have Magical Might, and all the others don't have any secondary stats. Female minstrels get starlet sandals and martial artists get kung fu shoes. Which Steph's getting! And they can be upgraded with two finessence. That's about it for shopping in Bloomingdale!

"It goes without saying that platinum kit requires platinum ore. Scan the Bloomingdale area, and you'll find some soon enough."

We still have a couple more bookshelves to go through before moving on with the plot, though. There's a lot of new stuff to cover in Bloomingdale! The platinum sword needs an iron broadsword, a piece of platinum ore and a Hephaestus' flame. These were also in the local shop. Not worth going for either way. The platter needs a gold platter and a piece of platinum ore. Problem is, gold platters are really annoying to get! Not much point if you don't somehow have a silver platter since it's not a very good shield - slightly higher block rate than our current shields, but no resistances and only average Defence. And we've seen platinum shields in the shop, just like the sword; one takes a light shield, a piece of platinum ore and a Hephaestus' flame.

Platinum headgear is the same Defence as a gigasteel helm! And it costs an iron mask, a piece of platinum ore and a Hephaestus' flame, as usual. Could be pretty good. Platinum mail is, for the last time, platinum ore and a Hephaestus' flame, along with some gold mail. It's kind of crazy good, and we can make it...right now! Well, after getting some platinum ore from the north Bloomingdale area.

"Shop-bought shoes aren't to be sniffed at, but who can argue with the class and quality of home-cobbled clogs?"

One more set of recipes! Hobnail boots are early-game Defence-oriented boots that need leather shoes and a magic beast hide, both of which are fairly easy to get. They're outclassed now but they had their time (during which we could make one from the hexagoon's drop). Classy clogs take a pair of clogs and two belle cap mushrooms. Pretty simple, and they've got a decent evasion chance for when they can be made. And stiletto heels (female-only) take a pair of high heels and some fishnet stockings, and also have a decent evasion chance. We can make all of these right now!

Highness heels are an upgrade to stilettos, remain gender-locked, and take a monarchic mark. That's an endgame accessory. And we already have some thanks to the DLC inn guests. Ehhhhh. And sorceress sandals are shoes for mages that use three sleeping hibiscuses, two belle caps, and the siren sandals from the shop in this very building! And despite the name any mage can use them, not just female ones. They're really good!

Hiya! We got to talking with that guy by the ship, and, well...

...Hm? You're a friend of the ship's warden, you say? Then you're very welcome here! Do go in.

Yay! Let's go.

...Next time.

Extra: The Collection

Platinum sword

Style: 20 Nonchalant, 36 Vain, 37 Alluring, 32 Aloof, 23 Naive, 40 Chic

Battle fork

Style: 25 Nonchalant, 28 Vain, 16 Alluring, 26 Aloof, 22 Naive, 21 Chic
Deals 20% extra damage to Aquatic family monsters.

Deadly nightblade

Style: 38 Nonchalant, 17 Vain, 38 Alluring, 35 Aloof, 31 Naive, 30 Chic

Falcon knife earring

Style: 41 Nonchalant, 44 Vain, 76 Alluring, 49 Aloof, 40 Naive, 59 Chic
Attacks twice.

Watermaul wand

Style: 21 Nonchalant, 23 Vain, 25 Alluring, 22 Aloof, 19 Naive, 32 Chic

Chain whip

Style: 24 Nonchalant, 25 Vain, 17 Alluring, 22 Aloof, 19 Naive, 26 Chic

Crow's claws

Style: 28 Nonchalant, 34 Vain, 13 Alluring, 19 Aloof, 22 Naive, 18 Chic

Kestrel claws

Style: 32 Nonchalant, 40 Vain, 17 Alluring, 23 Aloof, 27 Naive, 21 Chic

Edged boomerang

Style: 21 Nonchalant, 5 Vain, 13 Alluring, 15 Aloof, 10 Naive, 7 Chic

Platinum shield

Style: 7 Nonchalant, 17 Vain, 10 Alluring, 21 Aloof, 7 Naive, 24 Chic
Reduces damage taken from fire by 5%.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Welcome back! Scandal Eyes is a first-rate ability name.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Slime Kings are top 3 Dragon Quest monsters, easy

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

Epicmissingno posted:

Hiiiiiiyah!

Such devastation...

I lied! There was a reason to show off Steph gaining tension! As it turns out, critical hits at 100 tension hurt. A lot.

look i just wanted to show off big damage number, okay

Steph giving us the big damage dopamine... :allears:

Haven't been active in the thread as much, but seeing this makes me just... Jeez, kinda wish I was more willing to play through this game more now since I always struggled at around this point. I just left the three other party members to do whatever as a kid since I was Not Smart With JRPG Games™.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Part 38: Valley of the Dolls

So this is a mansion? It's not as nice as the Observatory.

Are you okay, Steph? You're being all quiet.

Huh? Oh, yeah, I'm fine. This place just reminds me of home, that's all.

Oh? Do tell.

I don't like to talk about it much, but...my parents are really rich. Wanted me to become a "proper lady" or something.

So you left?

Yeah. Went out, learned martial arts, eventually came to Stornway. And now I'm here with you guys!

Don't you miss your parents? I know I miss mine...

Nah, not really. They send me letters sometimes asking me to come back but I always ignore them. But that's enough about me. How about your families? I wanna hear the juicy details.

Oh, mine's wonderful! They're the ones who encouranged me to become a superstar luminary. Nobody else at home believed in me, though...

Hmph. Are all your relations tone-deaf too? Regardless, I come from a noble lineage, although my immediate family is...troubled. Did I ever tell you about my uncle, the vizier? A sordid affair, all told.

That's enough about you all. I'll have you know my mother's a real big shot up on the Observatory!

Oh, so you got your Guardian job through nepotism.

Hey! I worked hard for that!

Today we'll be checking out the Bloome mansion and hopefully advancing the plot. Let's get to it!

I guess? Not really. I do need that boat, but...

Really? I'd reconsider if I were you. It's well worth it, I assure you. I wouldn't lead you astray. I mean, if you manage to make friends with her, she'll give you anything. Absolutely anything you want!

Our immediate goal, in case it wasn't immediately obvious, is to go and talk to Ms Bloome. She's almost immediately to the east, so let's loop around there from the west instead of going there directly.

Nothing much on this floor other than a couple of barrels. An NPC moves here eventually, I think, but they're not around right now. Alas. Time to check upstairs.

Soon, purple door. Soon.

But you may not find a key for these for a very long time.

I've got a good feeling, okay?

I mean, such a huge mansion needs lots of people to keep it running, but she gave all her staff the sack!

Aha! Treasure. I'm sure she won't miss these.

I wonder why this room is so dusty.

Maybe...maybe it's her parents' bedroom. Nobody would've cleaned it out after they died if all the cleaning staff got let go...

Inside this somewhat morbid room we get some things we already know all about so there's not much point in talking about them again. The strength ring chest was locked but locked chests aren't a problem any more.

And that's basically everything we can do in Bloomingdale before progressing the plot. If we enter the room...

Well, Marion- Ahem! I mean, Ms Bloome... I thought something sweet might be nice.

On dis...? Erm, Ms Bloome, it's a cake, not a... I mean...Ahem! Yes, yes! Of course. As you wish.

Marion, Marion! Don't you want to know what I've got for you?

What is it?

I don't want it.

What? B-But... What? Why!? It's really prett-

If I say I don't want something, I don't want it! My ribbon is the same as my one true friend's. It's perfect in every way. I shan't just replace it with something else. No! No, no, no! Get out of my sight! I want nothing more to do with you!

B-But I... I...

...Is she talking to us?

I think so...

I was a bit taken aback at first, but I've sort of got used to her extrovert ways now. I wonder what she'll come out with next.

That's not extroverted, that's just weird.

Shhhh! Steph, she'll hear you! We want to get in her good books, remember?

No, I believe not. Pleased to make your acquaintance. But enough formalities - we need use of that ship in the harbour.

Hm? My ship? You'd like my shop? Certainly. You can have it. Take it away with you. Go wherever you please.

Huh. That was easy.

All I ask is that you let me be your frien...

Music: None

You're... You're not the same as the others...

Huh? But you're-

Liar! I know you have. You've come here for Marion. Well I won't let you! No, no, no! I hate you! You're not my friend. I take it back. You can't have my ship. Get out!

Yes, let's all kiss and make up! We can make up, can't we, Marion?

Bye-bye!

...What.

Phew! What a handful, eh? Any idea why she boiled over like that? She bolted totally out of the blue. I'd tell you not to touch her with a large pole, but if you can't patch things up, we won't get that ship. I wonder if there's anyone around here who knows how to get inside her good books...

Ugh, we're back to square one. Why'd she just run away like that!? And there's the fygg thing I wanted to ask about too.

Hmm... What if the two are connected? These fyggs have certainly caused strange things to happen before. If we solve whatever ails Ms Bloome, perhaps we shall kill two birds with one stone.

It's worth a try, right?

Oh well.

What did Stella say, again? "Someone who knows how to get inside her good books"?

Maybe someone on the mansion staff?

Good idea. Let's go.

Maybe she heard me calling her weird. Probably shouldn't've done that.

I heard she was a quiet, sickly, gentle girl, but she seems full of beans and, well...not that gentle at all!

You're going to get you and the rest of us back in her good books, do you hear? Start by asking her old nanny for advice.

Yeah, I'm going to. But not because you asked me to.

Solitaire, do you even know where Marion's nanny lives?

Er...

Hm? Where can you find her nanny? She lives in the house just across from the mansion.

Hey, I knew that! We went there earlier. At least give me time to remember.

Our next destination is Marion's nanny's house, which we visited last update! But now she has plot progression for us.

In case anyone's forgotten where it is, it's here, directly southwest of the mansion.

Heya! Can you help us out with getting Ms Bloome out of her room? Pretty please?

...Goodness me! Are you sure? She's locked herself in her room? Oh dearie me. That's an awful worry, but I don't know if I can help. I don't know if she'll want to see me... Ever since she got well, it's like she's a different person. She's very hard to handle now. She won't talk to us staff at all. I don't know what... Oh, wait. There is someone she might listen to, I suppose.

Ooh, who is it?

The toymaker. He made her a doll, you see, and she absolutely doted on it, bless her. He lives just next to the church. Yes, if Marion's having one of her temper tantrums, I should think the toymaker's our only chance.

Thanks so much! Here, have this. It's a free pass to any of my concerts! ...Whenever I get to organise one, anyway.

Believe me, you won't be needing that.

You might be wondering where we'd find a toymaker. Well...he's in the same building as the shoe shop. No, I don't really get it either.

But I'm getting on a bit now, you know. I retired a while back.

You made something for Marion, right? A doll, wasn't it?

What's that? Did I ever make a doll for Marion Bloome? Goodness! How on earth would you know...? Ah... You were talking to her nanny, I suppose. Oh, yes. That takes me back! But how in the name of the Almighty did you get on to that subject?

She's being a spoiled brat and locked herself in her room. We kinda need something from her, so...can you help?

What!? Marion's being difficult? And she's shut herself in her room? Oh dear, oh dear. That is a worry. Thank you for letting me know.

Even when she'd banished the rest of her servants from the house, she would always agree to see me. Why don't we go over and see if I can't coax her out of her room again this time.

We're conveniently transported straight to the mansion in a cutscene. No need to walk over there, Randolph in tow!

Well, the door appears to be unlocked. Perhaps she's gone out somewhere... I-I'm coming in now, Ms Bloome!

............Hm?

"We got the girl. If ya wanna see 'er again, you better bring all yer dough to the cave up norf." My goodness! Th-This is outrageous! I mean, the spelling is just... Ahem! I mean, we must raise the alarm at once!

That ghost looks just like...wait, no, that can't be right.

Back in control! We can loot the chest of drawers in Marion's bedroom, because of course.

It has no chance of containing anything of value, because of course. Let's just talk to the ghost.

Follow that ghost!

You know none of us can see it, right?

She went through the door. Literally.

Sounds like a ghost to me.

Music: Painful Feelings

Is this...a graveyard?

Looks like it. I guess this is where the Bloomes get buried.

These would be Marion's parents, I presume. Truly tragic.

"In memory of my one true friend. May you rest in peace."

You don't think something's happened to Little Miss Moneybags, do you...?

But she's fine! We spoke to her! But then who's that ghost...?

Aah! It's her!

The girl... The poor girl who has been kidnapped is my doll, Marionette. My precious Marionette, who was given life by that mysterious fruit...

What? I know fyggs are powerful, but can they really do that?

And then, one day...

I was sure that my life was already over. That nothing could save me, not even that fruit...

Why don't you eat it with me? I'd like to share it with you.

Imagine if you could walk and talk just like I can. I would be so happy. If only you could come to life so I could have just one true friend before I...

Th-The Celestrians are c-coming...for me... (gasp)

M-Marionette! You're... You're really...! ............! But why now...? J-Just when...I am... It's not...fair...

I... I am...

If people realise that you're a doll, they, they won't let you stay here. You must pretend to be me.

Kind Celestrian... Please, help Marionette. Help my one true friend...

Yeah, it's kind of hard to believe...

Still, you can't really turn a blind ear to a cry for help like that can you, "noble Celestrian"?

No...I can't. Besides, it's our only lead on that fygg.

Iron mask

Style: 8 Nonchalant, 14 Vain, 8 Alluring, 13 Aloof, 6 Naive, 15 Chic

Warrior's helm

Style: 12 Nonchalant, 18 Vain, 13 Alluring, 15 Aloof, 14 Naive, 18 Chic

Circlet

Style: 11 Nonchalant, 13 Vain, 15 Alluring, 14 Aloof, 11 Naive, 13 Chic

Gold circlet

Style: 13 Nonchalant, 15 Vain, 18 Alluring, 17 Aloof, 14 Naive, 15 Chic

Silver mail

Style: 22 Nonchalant, 35 Vain, 32 Alluring, 30 Aloof, 20 Naive, 31 Chic
Gives 8% fire, ice, wind and lightning resistance. Gives 5% darkness resistance.

Gold mail

Style: 25 Nonchalant, 39 Vain, 34 Alluring, 34 Aloof, 23 Naive, 34 Chic
Gives 10% fire, ice, wind and lightning resistance. Gives 8% darkness resistance.

Smart suit

Style: 17 Nonchalant, 26 Vain, 21 Alluring, 28 Aloof, 19 Naive, 36 Chic
Can only be worn by male characters.

Spangled dress

Style: 19 Nonchalant, 23 Vain, 30 Alluring, 22 Aloof, 13 Naive, 35 Chic
Can only be worn by female characters.

Best vest

Style: 15 Nonchalant, 16 Vain, 12 Alluring, 17 Aloof, 10 Naive, 32 Chic

Warrior's gloves

Style: 10 Nonchalant, 17 Vain, 13 Alluring, 9 Aloof, 16 Naive, 11 Chic

Snazzy skirt

Style: 20 Nonchalant, 12 Vain, 22 Alluring, 19 Aloof, 12 Naive, 30 Chic

Warrior's trousers

Style: 25 Nonchalant, 26 Vain, 21 Alluring, 17 Aloof, 20 Naive, 16 Chic

Loud trousers

Style: 35 Nonchalant, 30 Vain, 27 Alluring, 26 Aloof, 17 Naive, 15 Chic
Gives 25% sleep resistance.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, that explains the apparent change in personality. And I guess Marionette was fully capable of sensing what Solitaire is and thought she was here to take the fygg and, by consequence, her life.

...which, well. She isn't really wrong, per se. She's just right for the wrong reasons.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I kept expecting her to ask you to die for her. Maybe next episode. :v:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Aithon posted:

I kept expecting her to ask you to die for her. Maybe next episode. :v:

Nah, then we'd be seeing Uncle Red and Uncle Black around, utterly spoiling the dear.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
..I, uh...have NO idea what to say that's even remotely relevant to this thread.

BOOP!

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Part 39: The Men from F.I.C.K.O.

So you're saying that the Marion we met wasn't the real one? Huh.

It is a little hard to believe that the doll created by Randolph is now alive. I suppose this is the power of the fyggs once again.

I didn't even bring it up and she ran off! I guess I have an aura of Celestrian-ness or something that she could see?

That would certainly explain it. Taking the fygg would mean taking her life, after all.

She's going to have to die if we want it, then... This sucks.

L-let's not think about that! We still need to rescue her first, right? That kidnapping's not about to solve itself!

Botheration! Why didn't I pay more attention to my guard duties?

Now that all that's happened, it's time to rescue Marionette from captivity! The badly-spelled note said she was being held in "the cave up norf", which means it's time to go exploring! After checking out a bit of new dialogue around town, anyway.

No doubt because Ms Bloome just gives things away willy-nilly to anyone and everyone who claims to be her friend. Blast! Now Marion will be... And I can't help. My measly nest egg wouldn't come close to covering the ransom.

I shan't be able to sleep easy if I don't at least try to help the young lady, but I couldn't possibly use my own funds. Hmmm... This is a quandary indeed.

I suppose this means that there is no hope of negotiation?

Negotiation? I thought we were just going in and beating up the kidnappers until they give Marionette back.

That...is also a potential plan. Though with such recklessness on display, I fear for her safety.

I mean, obviously getting young Ms Bloome back safe and sound is the main thing, but... Oh dear... Now the doll I made for her has disappeared too! She'll be distraught if she comes back and it's not there. Oh dear, oh dear...

I don't think we need to worry about that bit.

It's not just any old doll, you know. I made it especially for Ms Bloom. It's one of a kind. Unique. It's the spitting image of Ms Bloome, you see. The dimensions, the eyes, the skin... Every last detail is a perfect reproduction. I felt so sorry for the poor little girl, not being able to play outdoors and all, that I really rather went to town with it.

Okay, that's...kinda weird. And a bit creepy. Makes sense why she looks so human-like, though.

Unfortunately...

Heavens above! If anything happens to her, I shan't be able to look old Mr Bloome in the eye when we meet in the afterlife. I wouldn't normally ask, but please, you must help Ms Bloome if you can.

That's the idea! We'll get her back safe and sound. I hope...

Before heading out to what's obviously the next dungeon, we'll be making a new weapon for Solitaire. The battle fork, two seashells and two pieces of crimson coral can be mixed together to make a trident! This is a little bit stronger than the gigasteel broadsword she had (3 Attack more, to be precise), but it has the additional effect of doing extra damage to Aquatic family monsters. Pretty handy! Also, we don't have any dedicated spear users, so we might as well use one here while we can.

As I said earlier, we're heading north of Bloomingdale this time. I deliberately avoided going there earlier because we'd be going there now!

There's a bridge that leads over to the northern half of the Bloomingdale area map, and it's the only way up there.

Aha! This really is the right way.

As usual, we're going to be exploring the area before heading into the dungeon. First off, to the east is...

Platinum ore! We can use this to make some of the stuff we saw recipes for back in the city. Not that we're going to right now. It's also really good for selling, since it goes for 1500G apiece (although it's a bit hard to get a hold of since no reasonable monsters drop it).

And the west has flurry feathers. We've been looking for these for a while so this is very welcome.

Still not as scary as those pink things...

#081 Scarewolf posted:

code:
Beast Family
HP: 102        MP: 32
Attack: 94     Defence: 105  Agility: 87
Exp: 325       Gold: 126
Elemental resistances
: 100 : 075 : 100 : 125

Status resistances
: 050 : 050 : 075 : 100
: 050 : 000 : 075 : 075
: 075 : 075 : 050 : 100

Rare Drop: Sacred claws (1/64)

They're not just razor-taloned terrors, their tension also increases every time they're attacked. Handle with care.

They bring out their eye colour by accessorising matching grey boots and mini-dresses with striking blue belts.

Scarewolves operate on a fixed pattern and will use the exact same actions in every single battle.

Feel the Burn into attacking into fleeing if they can makes up the first three turns.

If they can't flee they'll instead go into slashing wildly...

And then into War Cry, with another session of wild slashing the turn after. Then they loop! ...Or so the AI script I'm looking at tells me. I've seen them double down on War Cry before looping. Oh, and they become enraged by healing 25% of the time.

I hope you're all ready for a special performance!

Conveniently, Lumin got a Coup de Grâce! We haven't used hers before so let's see it in action.

Music: Superstar

Tada! Thank you for the applause.

I must admit, that dance was surprisingly good. Although your vocal performance still leaves much to be desired.

Disco Tech is...it's just the martial artist Coup de Grâce with a different name and animation. Guaranteed inaction on all enemies and a slight tension boost. The animation, though, as usual for luminaries, is kind of really good.

Is that moss in its fur? There's no way it's that colour naturally.

Wait, do you put moss in your hair too?

No way! I use dye. ...I'll have to check if it's made of moss.

#082 Big badboon posted:

code:
Beast Family
HP: 147        MP: 8
Attack: 106    Defence: 74   Agility: 62
Exp: 420       Gold: 96
Elemental resistances
: 100 : 125 : 100 : 100

Status resistances
: 100 : 000 : 075 : 075

Rare Drop: Strength ring (1/128)

Swirling whirlwinds of unstoppable power. If they call on a friend, prepare for the end!

Dwelling in the dank depths of the forest makes a mossy mess of their fur, but fresh, fragrant flowers also flourish there.

Okay, first off, let's get this out of the way. Big badboons are described as living in dank places, they're associated with green plants, and they give out 420 experience points. Sadly they aren't weak to fire, so we can't blaze them.

Their vigorous attack is a bit stronger than their normal fare, and they can Psyche Up to make it stronger. They're also annoyingly bulky, and will call on their friends (more big badboons, which will be just as sturdy).

They'll become enraged 3/4 of the time if they're critically hit, which might not actually kill them given their high HP. At least they're easily shut down by ailments.

My power grows once more. Although this time things are somewhat lacking.

From battling stuff out here, Theo gets to level 19! Now everyone's there. No skill points or spells this level, though, sadly.

Music: Dark Den of Thieves

So this is the Bad Cave, huh?

It's not very glamourous, is it?

Just looks like a normal cave to me. I thought there'd be spikes and stuff with a name like that!

Well, this is definitely the right place, at least. The spelling here is just as deplorable as on the kidnappers' note. It takes a special kind of talent to spell this badly.

This one says...hmm, it's difficult to tell.

Well, whatever it says, I'm going in. This sign can't stop me if I can't read it!

...That door will, though. I guess we can't go in this way.

The Bad Cave's got two entrances, but taking the one off to the side results in a locked door. Bleh.

This is the actual way in, across the bridge and up some stairs.

Nice view from up here.

Don't let it distract you from the...ahem..."orrible" monsters.

Well, since it's been brought up, we might as well go over said 'orrible monsters.

Hey Solitaire, remember when I had to revive you at the church after we almost died to these things?

I'd rather forget, I think.

#084 Shaman posted:

code:
Humanoid Family
HP: 90         MP: 33
Attack: 76     Defence: 64   Agility: 90
Exp: 290       Gold: 134
Elemental resistances
: 150 : 100 : 125

Status resistances
: 050 : 050 : 075 : 100
: 050 : 050 : 075 : 050
: 035 : 050
: 075 : 100 : 075 : 050

Common Drop: Magical robes (1/64)
Rare Drop: Ultramarine mittens (1/64)

Fearsome fiends who launch a weird light to weaken foes against spells, then maul them with all manner of magic.

Bishops who bargained away their souls to become beasts, they seek out travellers to use as sacrifices to their masters.

Shamans are another of the mage monster archetype, and just like magi, they're a big pain that nonetheless fall over to a stiff breeze.

The problem, of course, is landing a hit on them, since they like to Snooze the party and send them to sleep. And with them being casters, they won't physically attack to wake people up as much as other monsters.

Oh, and they cast Fizzle too, just in case the party's own casters aren't disabled by Snooze! It's a real pain.

And Kabuff to deal with physical attacks, too!

And Bang so they have an offensive presence.

They can also use Spooky Aura to make Bang do more damage, but this one ran out of MP before it could use it! Oops. Their physical attacks will drain MP, as usual, so they have technically unlimited resources if they so choose.

Ew, a bug! And a...jellyfish?

Actually, that's a slime. An understandable mistake.

#083 Medislime posted:

code:
Slime Family
HP: 82         MP: 20
Attack: 82     Defence: 80   Agility: 70
Exp: 82        Gold: 110
Elemental resistances
: 100 : 200 : 075

Status resistances
: 075 : 075 : 075 : 100
: 075 : 075 : 050 : 075
: 035 : 075

Common Drop: Strong medicine (1/16)
Rare Drop: Slimedrop (1/32)

Monsters are always made up to see these support slimes' yellow faces when they turn up to tend them with Midheal.

In a bid to be the best-beloved of beasts, they make a meal of healing, mending with Midheal when Heal will do.

Medislimes are simple: they see someone hurt, they heal.

Wow, that's annoying. Now I've got to beat it up all over again. ...Wait, maybe that's not so bad...

Specifically, they Midheal. They're definitely priority targets just so you can stop them healing since it drags out battles. Thankfully, they have really low stats otherwise!

#086 Raving lunatick posted:

code:
Bug Family
HP: 85         MP: 21
Attack: 86     Defence: 100  Agility: 90
Exp: 310       Gold: 98
Elemental resistances
: 100 : 100 : 100 : 075
: 100 : 075 : 150

Status resistances
: 075 : 050 : 050 : 100
: 050 : 075 : 075 : 075
: 025 : 100
: 075 : 075 : 075 : 050

Common Drop: Thorn whip (1/32)
Rare Drop: Strong antidote (1/64)

They banish their enemies to the underworld by zapping them with Zammle. Weak against light due to their shady origins.

Raised on a diet of darkness in a world without light, they were once regular lunaticks, but mutated after overdosing on evil.

Raving lunaticks really like using dark spells!

Isn't that your trick, Theo?

Well, the currently-accepted theories of magic state that mortals and monsters have the same kind of magical energy, so it's only natural.

They can Zam, which sometimes critically hits, and Zammle, which doesn't.

They can also heal, but much less often than medislimes do, so they're lower priority than the dedicated healers.

#085 Weaken beakon posted:

code:
Bird Family
HP: 78         MP: 10
Attack: 72     Defence: 90   Agility: 88
Exp: 266       Gold: 88
Elemental resistances
: 100 : 150 : 075 : 100
: 125 : 100 : 100

Status resistances
: 050 : 100 : 100 : 100
: 050 : 100 : 075 : 050
: 035 : 075
: 075 : 050 : 075 : 075

Common Drop: Flurry feather (1/16)
Rare Drop: Crow's claws (1/128)

They love to cast Kasap then come back for a second attack with their big old beaks. Freeze them out if you can.

The daycare workers of the monster kingdom, they hang upside-down from trees and let baby beasties swing on them.

Weaken beakons are the last new enemy at the Bad Cave entrance, and they're kind of a pain! They're extremely simple, though.

Ow! It scratched me.

Ha! Looks like these things are really weak.

Their attacks are terrible; this may be through Defend, but it's still really weak at this point. It's also their only offensive option.

They get two actions per turn, though! And they can cast Kasap. Still not enough to make them threatening, but the two attacks they get slow things down and makes them annoying. Oh, and they're the best source of flurry feathers in the game, which we'll eventually want a lot of, so get used to these.

I'm feeling a surge of power! I bet I'll hit monsters even harder now.

Steph levelled up from these battles and got her next vocation skill reward! It's just an extra 5 base damage. Solitaire did the same but didn't hit any skill milestones.

Hey, he came out of the door. Maybe he'll forget to lock it and we can get in.

Shh, keep your voice down! He'll hear you.

And she's given all 'er servants an' that the 'eave-'o, so... There ain't anyone around who's gonna notice she's gone. Yeah, come to think of it, the place was a big quiet...

But we ain't done for yet! Even if she ain't got family, there's gotta be one of 'er mates or somefink who'll turn up. Just sit tight. Someone'll turn up wiv the dough, you'll see.

He he! Sit tight, eh? Genius, Guv! Genius!

Aww, sounds like they locked it.

They may be stupid, but they're right, at least - Marionette's "mates" are here to rescue her.

We're not really her friends, though, are we? All she did was yell at me and run away.

My sarcasm is wasted on you, I see.

So we just...sit down at the table? There's only one seat, though.

Not me!

I'd rather not deal with these idiots. Someone else can do it.

Sorry, I don't really want to either...

Hmph. I was going to do it myself anyway.

Er...yes? Definitely.

Ahem! Well, well... Welcome to our 'umble 'ideout! Not much to look at, but, you know... We ain't the lucky ones.

We're Marion's...er...

Don't tell me. I reckon I've got a pretty good idea of who you are. You're, er... You're Bloome's... Well, you're top notch anyway, intcha? Yeah, a real 'ighbrow 'ero, eh? Diamond! I knew she was worth kidnappin'! Well, don't worry. The young lady is in good 'ealth. We ain't laid a finger on 'er.

Eh? Wot is it?

She got away! The bird's done a runner!

You wot!?

So...does this mean we don't have to do anything?

I think we should make sure she can get away. They might catch her again...

They seem to have forgotten their ladder. Shall we?

Doesn't look like any monsters're here. Those guys must be pretty strong to clear them all out! ...Despite everything else about them.

No encounters here! Very nice. It's also the best room in the entire dungeon.

My word... How do they understand this drivel?

Mini medal from the cupboard! And (not pictured) a flurry feather from the nearby pot. That's one less I'm going to have to get later.

Those bars look like they've been bent pretty far...

Wait, was that how she escaped? Puppets shouldn't be that strong...should they?

Ooh, this room's a treasure trove of items! I'm pretty sure brighten rocks are new; they're used in alchemy. They're used in a lot! Like, a lot a lot! So getting a head start on that stuff is pretty nice.

Unfortunately this set of containers is a bit less kind.

I guess that's us told.

I love these signs.

Wait, I remember those metal slimes. They're here too?

Along with some rather dangerous accompaniments, it would seem.

Well, yes, but...

Better watch yer back, then. They say there's a deadly monster down in the depths o' this place. A quiet bird like 'er ain't gonna stand a chance... Aah, bloomin' 'eck, this is a disaster!

Great, another big monster to deal with. I guess we can't leave her alone down there thanks to that.

If my mapping of this cave is accurate, then this is the door that we could not enter earlier. Perhaps opening it will help us if we choose to return.

This'll open up a shortcut back to the side entrance we found earlier. I kind of wish this came a little later; as it is, this only skips about half a room. Still, no reason not to do it.

Anyway, there'a a branching path here. We'll be taking the east one first, since it leads to treasure.

Free Hephaestus' flame! I might use this for some gigasteel equipment...eventually.

The other way leads to progress, of course. We could see this from the treasure chest!

A couple more rooms; they're small and empty, so while monsters do spawn they're unlikely to be a threat due to how little time we spend in them.

Back in another part of the entrance room, under the arch then back over it, there's a blue chest! It's the only thing in the room.

It looks really damp down there... Can we take a break? We've been going for a while.

Are you scared of messing up your makeup, hm?

Stop being so...so...ugh! I get it, alright? You think I'm no good. And I know I'm no good at fighting, at least, but the monsters like me so I thought I could distract them. So yeah, I'm worried about that. Maybe it'll keep attention off you. Happy now?

Interesting. Maybe you're less vapid than I gave you credit for. I have no objections to stopping, then. Solitaire?

Yeah, sure, whatever. I'm getting tired too.

This update's getting pretty long, and we've still got half of the Bad Cave left, so let's end it here and continue with the dungeon next time.

Flurry feather

Brighten rock

Platinum ore

Astral plume

Lucida shard

Trident

Style: 28 Nonchalant, 32 Vain, 20 Alluring, 30 Aloof, 26 Naive, 24 Chic

Fowl fan

Style: 45 Nonchalant, 25 Vain, 25 Alluring, 30 Aloof, 25 Naive, 25 Chic
Deals Fire damage.

Platinum headgear

Style: 11 Nonchalant, 22 Vain, 15 Alluring, 23 Aloof, 10 Naive, 30 Chic

Platinum mail

Style: 28 Nonchalant, 43 Vain, 36 Alluring, 38 Aloof, 26 Naive, 37 Chic
Gives 12% fire, ice, wind and lightning resistance. Gives 10% darkness resistance.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

God, they really did do that big badboon on purpouse, huh. The 420 exp wasn't just a lucky accident with that description.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blaze Dragon posted:

God, they really did do that big badboon on purpouse, huh. The 420 exp wasn't just a lucky accident with that description.
On the other hand, I'd absolutely believe you if you told me that the localization team noticed the combination of the green coloration and coincidental 420 exp payout and decided to play it up in the description. Is 420 even a thing in Japan? IIRC it refers to the US police code for the offense of "possession of marijuana".

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Such botheration.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Part 40: Taking Down Tyrantula

Lumin, a moment of your time, if you please. I have a proposal that may interest you.

Huh? What is it?

You said you were worried about being unable to contribute in battles. Have you considered finding a combat tutor?

I've never really thought about it.

I could teach you the ways of the sage, if you wish it. But the path to complete magical domination is not easy...

Um...maybe? I do want to help more, but...

Right, enough slacking! Stop muttering, you two, and follow me.

Just consider it. I'll await your reply. Hmhmhm...

We're going into the depths of the Bad Cave this time! This room's a bit complex.

First, we want to head north and take this mini medal. I have no idea how close we are to the next reward from the captain, but it probably won't hurt to check soon.

Wait, what's that thing? That's a lot of weapons it's got.

Whatever it is, it's coming right for us. Thanks a lot.

Not my fault! It was heading for us anyway.

#087 Hunter mech posted:

code:
Machine Family
HP: 95         MP: 5
Attack: 95     Defence: 110  Agility: 100
Exp: 450       Gold: 144
Elemental resistances
: 075 : 075 : 100 : 200

Status resistances
: 000 : 000 : 000 : 000
: 075 : 000 : 000 : 025
: 000 : 000
: 075 : 075 : 075 : 050

Common Drop: Iron ore (1/32)
Rare Drop: Hunter's bow (1/64)

Robotic seekers of little metal blobs who don't take kindly to adventurers trying to poach their prey.

If one of these metal-hunting mechanical marauders is nearby, surely its mark can't be far off...

It's been a while since we've seen a Machine family monster! There really aren't that many of them out there, to be fair. These guys dodge stuff 2% of the time and nullify a lot of ailments which can be annoying if you like using them but they're incredibly weak to the Bang line of spells to compensate.

What was that about?

I daresay that would hurt more if you were less heavily-armoured.

The arrow shot these things use is...not good. Solitaire may be a big bundle of physical stats as a warrior but it's still really unimpressive; another one does 6 damage later this fight so maybe it's higher-variance? I dunno.

This violent slash they use definitely feels nastier in comparison. They'll also use Attack Attacker to lower, er, Attack.

While attacking.

Those claws look dangerous. Careful, everyone!

Ha! I can take it.

#088 Riptide posted:

code:
Aquatic Family
HP: 102        MP: 18
Attack: 102    Defence: 105  Agility: 105
Exp: 540       Gold: 156
Elemental resistances
: 125 : 100 : 125

Status resistances
: 100 : 050 : 075 : 100
: 100 : 075 : 050 : 075
: 035 : 000

Common Drop: Dragon scale (1/32)
Rare Drop: Razor claws (1/64)

They hit back with Whack at survivors of Thunder Slash or Roundaclout. Be canny and keep them from casting Midheal.

Rumour has it that they're salamarauders who trained so intensely that they turned into tough guys.

Wow, I hate this! Riptides are by far the most dangerous monsters in the Bad Cave. They're a massive pain for several reasons, the least of which is their innate 2% dodge rate.

Reason one: they can heal themselves. Not too much of a problem if they get focused down but still annoying.

Reason two: they've got this spinning attack (probably called Roundaclout given their description) which hits everyone. We still don't have Multiheal!

But...my armour...

Huh. Maybe the claws weren't that dangerous after all.

Reason three: they have Whack. The instant kill spell. Oops, Solitaire's dead now!

Also, a few physical attacks to mix things up. They all do basically the same thing, though I guess Thunder Slash is probably elemental. They're also by far the most common things they use; Whack and Roundaclout don't come up that often, but when they do they're a real menace.

Theo, can you get Solitaire back up?

Hmm. Give me a few days and I'll be able to, I think.

Days!? That's way too long! We're going back to Bloomingdale.

Oh crap, we don't have Zoom right now, do we? I guess we're walking back.

Using a chimaera wing is also an option, but Bloomingdale is so close it's not really a problem.

Music: Healed by a Hymn (VIII)

You okay there, Solitaire? Rigor mortis not set in yet?

Where am I? Oh, the church. Right. Did you get revenge on that thing?

A particularly painful one.

Ha! That'll teach them.

Solitaire gets revived and everyone heals up at the inn (off-screen, of course), so let's pick back up where we left off.

Down the stairs this time. I'm not having a repeat of earlier!

We actually cleared out the upper path completely; it was only that single chest.

By heading down all the way and then back up, we can get to this chest that was visible earlier! I feel like this chimaera wing is taunting me...

Anyway, by heading the other way at that junction and then north, there's another chest with a nice stack of cash.

That wasn't so bad. On to the next room!

I kept my guard up this time! No spell'll be taking me by surprise again.

Last room of the dungeon, and...it's honestly just kinda there? No treasure, one side path that leads to nothing much, and it's pretty long. I'm not a huge fan of the second half of this dungeon. F.I.C.K.O. should've made more appearances!

I guess the mossy cave theme is nice.

Ruins? In the depths of this Almightyforsaken place? I wonder which civilisation they belonged to.

All that history stuff kinda bores me...

"Heed my warning, traveller and friend, / When Tyrantula appears, your journey doth end."

Not very catchy, is it? It's all doom and gloom.

It's clearly a warning. But the text is clearly Gittish in origin... Could their empire have stretched even to here? I must note this down somewhere.

So that Tyrantula thing's probably a big monster down here, right? We can totally take it.

If it wasn't obvious from the update title, we'll be facing down Tyrantula as this dungeon's boss. As the name suggests, it's a giant spider, so...content warning, I guess? Here be spiders. You ave bin warned.

This looks kinda dangerous...think we can take them?

Yeah, we can take 'em.

I don't get encounter formations in this game. Sometimes you get stuff like this, but most of the time it's only one or two monsters. It's weirdly lopsided.

Um, a little help, guys?

I'm too busy weaving untold destructive magics. Ask again later.

Too late...

Oh no, Steph! I thought Theo had it handled...

I may yet have a technique that can save her. Give me some space!

Because of the large number of enemies, sometimes this happens. Three out of the four focused on Steph in the first turn and, well, this was the result. Even weaker monsters can be deadly in large numbers.

...How did that help?

Fool! My increased mental clarity will allow me to think of never-before-seen solutions to our problem!

In other words, it didn't do anything. Fat lot of good you are.

Not exactly a good time to see it, but here's the Sage Coup de Grâce. It restores MP.

Yeah, it's not very good. Maybe for topping up in long fights but by the time Sage is normally unlocked we'll have access to some very potent MP restores - although it is free whenever it comes up so it could sustain someone through a long dungeon.

So what do we do now?

Alas, my intellect has come up short. We must take our fallen comrade to a church posthaste.

We're almost at the end of the cave, though! I say we press on.

Look, a treasure chest! And I see a dead end up ahead too. That's probably where Marionette is.

I would exercise caution in opening that, if I were you.

What? It'll be fine. It's just a treasure chest.

...I think I've made a horrible mistake.

That wasn't a chest, was it?

No. It was not.

#204 Cannibox posted:

code:
Material Family
HP: 187        MP: 10
Attack: 140    Defence: 108  Agility: 140
Exp: 960       Gold: 210
Elemental resistances
: 125 : 100 : 125 : 100
: 100 : 100 : 125

Status resistances
: 000 : 000 : 000 : 100
: 000 : 100 : 000 : 100
: 010 : 000

Common Drop: Mini medal (1/16)
Rare Drop: Gold bracer (1/128)

Shut these big, bad boxes up with Fizzle before they send you to sleep with Sweet Breath or waste you with Whack.

Monsters who've morphed into boxes to ambush adventurers. What treasures await inside their well-guarded wooden depths?

It's our first mimic monster! And at the worst possible time, too. Hubris strikes again. Canniboxes have high stats for this point in the game and will use them to great effect. We want this thing dead, and we want it dead right now.

21 damage to Solitaire through her armour is quite a bit and our squishies could easily get very hurt from even regular attacks. It's very fast too, and likely to go before anyone else.

Thankfully the party has some fairly high stats right now thanks to good equipment so it dies on the second turn before doing anything dangerous. If left alive it could use Whack to make an instant kill attempt, Sweet Breath to lull the whole party to sleep and it can even critically hit to do even more physical damage. It's possible to shut it down entirely after the first turn by spamming inaction abilities like War Cry - its non-existent resistance to it being its undoing - but Steph's dead right now and can't do that. Don't listen to its bio; Fizzle will only stop Whack, although it has a very good chance to land so it's still a good option.

They'll drop mini medals on occasion but they're hard to find and there are much better sources of those at pretty much any point in the game; just break a few pots in the right places, save, reset and do it all again. Or do grottoes and drown in them.

...Just assume the same revive/inn stay/getting back here as earlier. Nothing interesting happened.

So let me get this straight: a treasure chest attacked you?

I don't want to talk about it.

Wish I could've fought it. Oh well, there'll probably be more of them eventually.

Hey, everyone? I've been watching those machine monsters and I think they're looking for something.

Yes, I had the same idea. Perhaps we could follow one and find its quarry.

I think I see something! Quick, get it!

Didn't even notice us. We've got this in the bag!

#089 Metal medley posted:

code:
Slime Family
HP: 6          MP: 255
Attack: 70     Defence: 256  Agility: 135
Exp: 12288     Gold: 60
Elemental resistances

Status resistances
: 005 : 000

Common Drop: Slimedrop (1/8)
Rare Drop: Mythril ore (1/128)

A towering team of titanium tykes who can combine their clout to cast Kerfrizz.

Some say that the stout slime playing the supporting role in this stack is made of steel instead of the standard metal slime stuff.

Metal medleys! They're a step up from regular old metal slimes, both in difficulty to take down and in payout. Their HP is double what it used to be but in exchange they give three times as many experience points.

Three spells in a row? Perhaps it is using its multiple heads to cast simultaneously.

When they're not running away, which they do a lot, they like to cast Kerfrizz, a unique...spell? Ability? It doesn't use the usual casting animation so it's hard to tell what it really is. Regardless of all that, it's three hits to random party members. It could be dangerous if it focused fire but it's so much more likely to flee that it's a relief to see anyway.

Otherwise they can do a very weak attack or dodge attacks 4% of the time.

I got one!

Can we stop now? We've been trying to kill one of these for ages.

It took about five tries to get one of these to cooperate, but it's worth it!

That's about 25 times the payout of any other single monster in the dungeon. I will say, though, the HP of these monsters is a bit of a problem to take out. They've got to stick around for multiple turns, unlike their smaller friends who could be taken out in one if you were lucky. There are shortcuts, of course, and we'll cover them as they come up, but we don't have access to any yet.

52 shield skill points increases the block rate of all Solitaire's shields by 2%. Closer and closer to mastery!

Meanwhile Lumin gets a little more whip damage. Her damage is kind of sad at the moment so this should help a little.

Aha, I have it! A way to revive people from death!

Little too late on that one, Theo.

Ah, but I also thought of something that will prevent untimely deaths in the future!

Right As Rain comes from Sage's unique skill, Enlightenment, and it's something that's not too common in this series: HP regeneration! Well, not common as a spell or ability; it's been a passive effect of equipment or vocations for yonks. It restores half the user's level in HP to the entire party at the end of every turn for 7-10 turns. Not too shabby. Only costs 6 MP, too.

Steph also got a level. No skills, sadly.

This room feels...horrible. Look, there's poison everywhere.

It's probably Tyrantula's lair. Careful, everyone!

Look, Marionette's there. Let's get her out quickly!

Video: Boss #8 - Tyrantula

It's a long story, and we don't have time. Come on!

I've made some charming new friends. One of them has a beard, and the other one has a mask and is called "Guv"! Only...I wasn't having much fun playing with them, so I decided to go for a walk. Are you on a walk too?

Actually we were looking for you. There's probably a big scary-

There's a roar from somewhere off-screen here.

Okay, that's a bit bigger than I expected.

Marionette!

We've got to take out Tyrantula, otherwise we can't get her to safety!

Music: Swirling Desire

Does it see out of that skull? I see no other eyes.

There's no time for that, Theo!

#264 Tyrantula posted:

code:
Bug Family
HP: 1098       MP: 36
Attack: 100    Defence: 154  Agility: 96
Exp: 5231      Gold: 1500
Elemental resistances
: 075 : 075 : 075 : 125
: 100 : 125 : 125

Status resistances
: 005 : 000
: 025 : 075 : 050 : 075

Guaranteed drop: Tangleweb

An enormous arachnid who dwelt deep in the Bad Cave, soaking up poison and perniciousness until she morphed into a man-eater.

It is said that she made meals of travellers lost in her cave to feed her clutch of countless eggs.

The main problem with Tyrantula is that she has a lot of Defence (and a 2% chance to dodge but that's less important). 154 is more than Garth Goyle, who was literally made of stone. Spells may work, but only Bang isn't resisted out of the options you'd normally have for this fight, which is why it's so fortunate that we have Theo - Zam is actually strong against her. As always, Sap is useful for putting a dent in that Defence too.

As usual when it comes to big fights, Steph will be attempting to increase her tension as high as possible and unleash a devastating attack.

Now is not the time to be signing autographs either, Lumin.

No, now's the perfect time!

See?

That did significant damage... Perhaps I spoke too soon.

Autograph pierces defences to do fixed damage so it's perfect for a situation like this. It costs 50G each time but hey, we're getting 300 times that for killing Tyrantula. I think we can afford it.

Is that the best you can do? Dodging that is child's play.

Wicked Web will attempt to immobilise someone for a turn. It's not even that accurate.

Hm? I feel my limbs stiffening. We shall have to be careful of further attacks.

Unless, of course, Eerie Light gets used. This increases the chances of ailments landing on the entire party. Still not too bad, though. Tyrantula gets two actions every turn but she can't do the same thing twice, with the exception of a regular attack.

Solitaire's attacking and Theo's using Zammle as much as possible. It's kind of crazy to think that a Luminary is doing the highest damage in the party right now. Their fixed damage really shines when they're not postgame-locked.

Second turn's the same as the first for our party, but Tyrantula breaks out the double attack strats! Maybe they'll do significant damage someday, but today is not that day.

Third turn's also the same as the first, but this time Tyrantula uses Wind Sickles! It's a party-wide attack but it's mitigated by Defence. Solitaire's just that bulky that she took no damage.

Ow! Can't trust Theo to heal after what happened earlier, so I'll handle myself. Cover me!

Okay, I'm going in!

She really doesn't want to do anything interesting, huh? Half her actions have just been normal attacks. Lumin's looking a little low so she'll be healing herself next turn.

I think I got its attention.

The enrage condition for this boss is to bring her under 50% of her HP. Which we just did on turn 4. I think this is going well.

I have no idea why I did this; Tyrantula is dying incredibly fast, Lumin hadn't dropped all that low and her heals are piddly. Should really have kept on using Autograph.

okay maybe theo is still doing the most damage but i'm just excited that lumin is contributing at all

...Wait, what?

I'd hate you to think I wasn't doing my part.

Since Steph has the boss's attention I thought I'd give her a little extra healing, just so things wouldn't go horribly wrong.

Here's Tyrantula's last attack, by the way: Venomissile. It hits the whole party and attempts to inflict venom. Which didn't land on anyone. Again, low hit rates.

Good, the heat's off. Now I can go back to powering up!

Or I could just stab it. No more spider.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered, then.

Tyrantula's pretty easy, all told. She's only really threatening if she does Wind Sickles and Venomissile on the same turn. For our efforts we get...an item from the very beginning of the game that isn't even that good. Thanks. I guess it's thematic or something.

M-Miss?

Oh no...are we too late?

Watch it, Guv!

Th-This place is 'aunted! I-I'm gettin' out of 'ere!

Help! HEEELP!

A...monster...?

Music: Verse of Prayer

I understand now. I suppose I always knew deep down... I'm sorry, Marion, but I'm just no good at being mortal... All these people aren't really my friends. They only like me for the things I give them. I've tried, Marion, for your sake... But I'll never be able to make true friends. I'm just a monster.

My best friend, Marionette.

Don't you like me any more? Is that why you don't want to play with me?

Alone?

You brought me such happiness. I, I...

Happiness! Yes! I'm always happy when I'm with you, Marion.

I am Marion. You are Marionette. I have to go somewhere far, far away. The Celestrians are coming to take me. Don't pretend to be me any more. You are Marionette. Go back to being a doll now.

But first I must tell everyone that Marion's going away...

Goodbye...Marion. And Marionette.

Video ends

Hobnail boots

Style: 3 Nonchalant, 9 Vain, 3 Alluring, 4 Aloof, 5 Naive, 6 Chic

Warrior's boots

Style: 12 Nonchalant, 20 Vain, 12 Alluring, 10 Aloof, 13 Naive, 7 Chic

Femiscryan footwear

Style: 20 Nonchalant, 15 Vain, 15 Alluring, 8 Aloof, 11 Naive, 11 Chic

Frugal footwear

Style: 12 Nonchalant, 9 Vain, 13 Alluring, 8 Aloof, 10 Naive, 6 Chic

Wizard wellies

Style: 19 Nonchalant, 18 Vain, 17 Alluring, 15 Aloof, 14 Naive, 10 Chic

Acroboots

Style: 17 Nonchalant, 20 Vain, 16 Alluring, 10 Aloof, 11 Naive, 6 Chic

Cowboy boots

Style: 29 Nonchalant, 27 Vain, 25 Alluring, 27 Aloof, 20 Naive, 21 Chic

Hip boots

Style: 22 Nonchalant, 27 Vain, 26 Alluring, 29 Aloof, 20 Naive, 21 Chic

Saintly sollerets

Style: 18 Nonchalant, 28 Vain, 14 Alluring, 13 Aloof, 19 Naive, 25 Chic

Stiletto heels

Style: 6 Nonchalant, 8 Vain, 18 Alluring, 7 Aloof, 4 Naive, 14 Chic

Classy clogs

Style: 11 Nonchalant, 8 Vain, 13 Alluring, 8 Aloof, 14 Naive, -2 Chic

Sheepskin shoes

Style: 15 Nonchalant, 10 Vain, 20 Alluring, 6 Aloof, 8 Naive, 9 Chic

Siren sandals

Style: 18 Nonchalant, 7 Vain, 20 Alluring, 8 Aloof, 16 Naive, 6 Chic

Sorceress sandals

Style: 21 Nonchalant, 11 Vain, 23 Alluring, 11 Aloof, 18 Naive, 10 Chic

Starlet sandals

Style: 25 Nonchalant, 16 Vain, 26 Alluring, 14 Aloof, 12 Naive, 10 Chic

Kung fu shoes

Style: 12 Nonchalant, 13 Vain, 10 Alluring, 8 Aloof, 10 Naive, 11 Chic

Wu shoes

Style: 16 Nonchalant, 17 Vain, 13 Alluring, 10 Aloof, 15 Naive, 13 Chic

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Oh no, this is Whack country. And relatively early, too. :magical:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Marionette does have a friend :unsmith:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
They hackin and a Whackin early and it don't stop. Also, Marrionette :smith:

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Part 41: Memento Marionette

We're never seeing Marionette again, are we?

Regardless, we have no further business here. Besides, have you forgotten why we were following her to begin with?

Right! The fygg. Let's get out of here.

No objections here.

Nor will there be any from me. Lumin?

...Okay. That sounds good.

Hm? You seem perturbed.

Huh? Yeah, I've been thinking about what you said earlier. About becoming a sage.

Have you come to a decision? Then I would be happy to tutor-

No, I'm sticking to being a luminary. That last fight made me realise there are ways only I can support people, you know? Anyway, you've already got the sage thing covered.

...How unexpected. Well, I shan't pry further.

Hey, you two! Me and Steph can't cast Evac, you know. Hurry it up.

Ah! My apologies.

Marionette should have the fygg, yeah?

She said she would warn the town about her planned absence. Perhaps a search will reveal her location.

Our next story destination is the mansion, but it can't hurt to see what everyone has to say about Marionette's return.

You could say that...

And Ms Bloome's going off travelling now, is she? Bah! I wish I could live as free and easily as she does. At least I won't have to bow and scrape any more. Yes, she can stay away for as long as she likes!

I suppose this means that she has already broken the news.

Still doesn't tell us where she went.

Now I can't rely on Ms Bloome any more, I need to earn a little for myself. At least enough to put food on the table for my son.

Wait, hold up. All the staff left? Didn't the guy downstairs say something like that too?

Sorry? Where did all the old staff go? Back to the Bloome residence where they came from in the first place, I suppose.

Oh. Makes sense.

It's all because the man who was last awarded the Inncredible Inntertainer title disappeared, but no one's surpassed him yet. Our inn here, the Flowery Beds, enters the Innys every time, but we only ever come away with second place. It's so frustrating!

Oh, I've heard about this! What was his name again? Irwinn? Innigo?

Edwinn. He was Erinn's father.

Amazing! I'll have to ask her all about it next time we're there.

She does like to keep people on her toes. I expect she just set it up to look like she was kidnapped.

Wow. Seriously? Can I deck him right now?

As satisfying as that may be, now is not the time.

"If someone asked you if you were freinds with Marion, you'd say yes, wouldn't you? But what if I wasn't called Marion?" What do you make of that? I still don't know what she meant, but she didn't explain herself. She just left. She's a queer one, I tell you. Always has been. But I get the impression she's incredibly lonely too, poor girl. When she gets back, I'll make sure she knows that, rich or poor, Marion or whoever else, she's got a faithful friend in me.

The contrast with that damnable mayor is staggering.

Someone did care about Marionette after all...

Wait, what?

I feel I ought to warn you, though: it can be rather dangerous at sea, even on a fine vessel like the Pride of Bloomingdale. You might not be able to see the monsters, but they're always there, I assure you. Lurking under the surface. You'll be attacked when you set sail, of that I'm sure. So be prepared. I'd hate to see anything happen to you...or that ship!

Great, something else to hate about boats. I can't believe this.

This is of course referring to how battles will work aboard the ship...but we do still need to see Marionette before actually getting access to it. Just keep this in mind for later.

And she's just announced that she's going to go off travelling. To some very far-off place, it seems. Talk about out of the blue! You'd better hurry along if you want to catch her before she leaves. You still have to ask her about the ship, don't forget.

I would say the ship's the only thing we don't have to ask about, given your neighbour over there. Still, it is heartening to hear that she still remains in town.

She's got to be in the mansion, right? It's the only place we haven't checked yet.

Oh, bless you, you little angel! I'm so glad Ms Marion's got friends like you.

She's here, right? We got told that she hadn't left yet.

...Hm? Where is she? She's set off on her travels already. She paid her respects to her dear ma and pa and then she left.

What!? We can't have missed her.

Something weird's going on. We'd have passed her, wouldn't we?

Let us check Marion's room. Perhaps it will contain a clue to this mystery.

Aha! The door is open.

But that door leads to...

...The graveyard. And there she is...

I should be happy to get another of these, but...why do I feel so awful?

Marion wanted you to know that you can have her ship. Apparently, the ship's warden is waiting for you on the jetty. He's abreast of the situation too.

Seeing her like that...I think the reality just hit me. It's like Catarrhina all over again...it's all my fault.

No, it isn't! There's nothing any of us could have done about this.

I do not know what occurred with this Catarrhina person, but Marionette went to her eternal rest willingly. It is sad, to be sure, but you are not to blame.

Oh, but it's okay to let your emotions out! It's not healthy to bottle it all up.

Thanks, everyone. But still...I can't help feeling like my leadership's dragging us down.

Tell you what: what if one of us took over for a while?

That sounds like a good idea.

I could give it a go if noone else wants to. Anyone?

I believe I am best suited to serving in a purely advisory capacity. A gently guiding hand, to make sure others make the...correct decisions.

As for me, while I'm great at performing, adventuring isn't my forte. I'd probably mess something up.

That settles things, then! I've got a great feeling about the inn here, so let's go there next.

I wonder why. If only we could understand what she was saying.

...Steph. This is a cat.

Yeah, so?

I doubt this will result in anything of use.

But what if it did, though?

Then I will stand corrected, unlikely as that may be.

Meow, meow! Meow! Prrr...etty please?

You can't seriously be writing this down.

It might help!

Prrr... Meow!

Yes, really. The cat has a quest. No, we don't get to know what the objectives are, because we can't speak cat.

Okay, what would a cat want...

She seemed lonely. Maybe another cat?

Maybe! But I don't think there are any around. What if we put on some cat ears? Hmm, but we don't have any...

Loath though I may be to participate in this farce, the local armour shop were selling some when we stopped by the last time. I can't imagine why.

Cat ears are right here in Bloomingdale, thankfully, so we won't need to leave town. They're pretty cheap and not awful as equipment, either. We could possibly get them cheaper by mixing together a hairband and two bags of kitty litter but it's really not that worth the extra effort.

Wait, why do I have to wear them?

I thought it might cheer you up a bit.

I guess they don't look terrible...

Meow. Meow. Meow meow meow meooow. Prrr!

Um. Thanks?

Meow! Meowser meow.

Seeing someone wearing a pair of cat ears must have made her think one of her friends had come to play.

I suppose I must retract my earlier statement. That seems to be quite a sturdy shield. Still...we are no closer to our ultimate goal.

The kitty shield is a nice little piece of equipment; it's got a higher block chance than its current competitors, although its Defence is a bit lacking and it doesn't have the elemental resistances of our steel shields. But it can be upgraded! We could have alchemised one already but didn't.

Alright, next...Zere? Zere sounds promising.

Do you really know where you're going?

I'm trusting my instincts on this! We could get a lead from anywhere. Or do you want to go sailing around aimlessly?

Music: Evening in the Village

You've got some nerve, scowlin' at well 'ard Wellard! I got it! I'll forgive yer if you bring me some birdsong nectar. Just bring it, alright?

Scowling? No, no, that's not it at all! I'm just so happy to find someone who likes singing as much as I do.

No way! Well, that's a bit o' good luck. Wot you 'angin' about for, then? 'Urry up an' bring me that birdsong nectar, will ya?

Birdsong nectar, huh?

I've heard of it. It's supposed to make your voice as beautiful as birdsong.

But you have never partaken of it yourself?

No, it's very rare. But I do know the recipe!

Birdsong nectar is made via alchemy. We need three jars of nectar, one jug of fresh water and five sleeping hibiscuses. Simple enough and we have easy sources of all those around Bloomingdale.

Music: Alchemy Pot (VIII)

There, all done! This pot is really amazing. Normally it'd take weeks to make this much.

So that is the reason for its rarity? But with such an easy way to make it, drinking a little wouldn't hurt.

Absolutely not! My voice is perfect the way it is. And anyway, we need to get this to Wellard.

Why do I suddenly have a creeping sense of dread? Perhaps I should stay behind and see to my research.

You said you wanted to know about the Wight Knight, right? You should probably talk to the others about that.

Oi, what're you lot doing back so soon?

Reona! We were just doing some alchemy and Theo wanted to stay.

Then you won't mind me joinin', eh? I've got a mate over in Dourbridge I want to 'ave a chat wiv.

By all means, go ahead.

Let's deliver Wellard's nectar first, though!

Since we're in the area we'll be switching in Reona in place of Theo for a bit, because with the Bad Cave's completion we can do one of her Thief quests. Now we have nobody who can use Midheal in the party...but that won't be a problem, right?

Music: The Sun Gathering Village

No problem! Always willing to help a fellow singer.

Nice one! Down the 'atch! (glug glug glug)

Hello, kind person who leaves me lovely apples. Tell me, what's your name?

I ain't got no name, doll, I'm just a little bird wot 'appens to pass yer window every day. Ain't I got a lovely sweet voice, though?

Oh, yes. It's a beautiful voice. Just beautiful. You'll come back and speak to me again, won't you, little bird?

'Course I will, love, 'course I will. Ta-ra for now.

...Ahem. Yeah, er...cheers an' that. You done alright. S'pose I'd better give you somefing for yer trouble. 'Ere.

Well. That was weird.

Ooh, I 'ope they manage to work somefin' out. 'E looks willing to better 'imself for 'er and everyfin'.

I just hope they talk face to face about this soon, or things could get messy.

With such a beautiful voice, too, just like a little bird. Oh, what I'd give to hear that voice again!

It was beautiful, wasn't it? It's inspired me, in fact! Laaaaaa...

Argh, my ears! Now I see why Theo was in such an 'urry to leave...

I don't think we've seen any Gleeban gold pieces before. They're pretty much the best item in the game for selling that doesn't have a use in alchemy, going for 1000G each. Not bad!

Also, this quest is repeatable. It'll give the same reward no matter how many times it's completed so it's an okay moneymaker for anyone with spare materials.

Oh! I almost forgot.

Forgot what?

There's a famous martial arts master visiting Alltrades Abbey, and I'd love to spar with him. Let's go!

Oi! What about my mate?

I promise we'll get to them soon! C'mon, it'll be great.

Music: Assemble, People

You can't see him very well, but we're talking to the old man in front of Alltrades Abbey who we've seen a couple of times in previous updates.

Mr Lee is very kind. He gave me shelter when I had nowhere else to go and no family to turn to. And he has allowed me to stay with him ever since. It is the mark of a most generous man, hm?

Wait, is Master Wun Tun Punch not here? I'd hoped to meet him...but Brusque Lee is really famous too!

You're sure you don't see him anywhere?

Well...he's a bit of a hermit. I've never seen any paintings of him or anything, so...

Unspoken questions beg the most answers. You seek the knowledge of ultimate combat from the Grandmaster, no?

Wait, you're saying I could be trained by the master? I'm in!

But the ant may not speak to the elephant without climbing its trunk. My lesson comes first! You will defeat five scarewolves. But my lesson is not so easy! You will make them quail with a terrifying War Cry, and only then deliver the final blow. Grandmaster Wun Tun Punch completed this lesson when he was a mere six years old. So, do you accept?

Yes, yes, definitely! I'll make those scarewolves terrified, just you wait. They won't know what hit 'em!

This lesson will teach your mind to remain still while your heart pounds.

This is another annoying quest. These vocation-based ones have a lot of those, huh? Anyway, while it says we need to defeat scarewolves after using War Cry, that's only half true; we need to defeat them while they're under the effect of War Cry. The effect that only lasts until they get a turn. So we have to beat them very quickly, with this game's incredibly random turn order.

Aha! Found one.

Scarewolves, if you'll recall, are in the area north of Bloomingdale and just before the Bad Cave.

Raaaaaargh! ...Did that not work?

By the way, scarewolves have 75% Inaction resistance, meaning that War Cry won't even work a quarter of the time.

And this one shook it off! I can't beat them like this.

And there's the message we ideally don't want to see, because it indicates that the Inaction has worn off. This one happened immediately after War Cry hit, which was just a little frustrating.

Phew, that took a while. I worked up quite a sweat.

A bit too long, I think. Reona doesn't look too happy.

I promised 'im I'd be along hours ago. What's 'e gonna fink now?

I'm so sorry! I got so focused on fighting I forgot about everything else... Look, I'll just go report back to Brusque, then we'll see your friend.

This took about 18 minutes, based on my recordings. It's harder to engineer than you might think.

Music: Assemble, People

My instincts were right. My heart told me you had potential as a martial artist. Here.

You have completed my lesson. But the path to the knowledge of ultimate combat is long. You have far to go. The heart of a true martial artist is still like the water in a lowland river. Your heart is turbulent, like a young, babbling brook. To win a battle is merely to survive, but to fight hard for that victory is to truly learn. Go now and learn much. When you have reached level forty, the Grandmaster will see you. Until then, learn to free yourself from desire.

Aaaaaaaah I'm so excited! I can learn from Master Wun Tun Punch! ...Ahem. Sorry about that.

Can we get to Dourbridge now? I'm 'alf expecting 'im to be gone by now.

Sorry, sorry!

The slick slacks we got from that are a nice piece of Martial Artist-only leg armour that boosts Agility by 15. Not bad, and it's got more Defence than Steph's current blue jeans.

They say he is as tall as two men, with arms thicker than tree trunks. An unrivalled giant who can fell trees with his bare hands. And rumour has it that monsters flee at the first sight of him, without even a hint of a fight. Hm.

I can't wait to meet him. He sounds so cool!

So where's your friend, Reona?

'Is 'ideout's under the bridge. Real sneaky, like. I said 'e's me mate, but really e's more a rival - 'e doesn't know I look like this now, though. I'm finkin' I can con 'im out o' some dosh.

Don't look so worried! It's nothing too tricky. I just want you to go and get some treasure off a monster for me, that's all. A wealthy man was attacked while out on his travels, and had all his rich stuff stolen. One of my gang saw a hunter mecha making off with the loot to the Bad Cave, just north of Bloomingdale. I want you to go and find the hunter mech and steal the tycoon's trove back off him. Should be a piece of cake for any thief worth their salt. You'll do it won't you?

Well of course. But I'm only doing it because I like you, alright?

Psst! Why're you talking all fancy again?

Keep yer voice down! It's 'cause 'e only knows my real accent, innit?

Good luck then!

Perfect! 'E didn't recognise me at all. Now I can get into 'is gang and skim off the top. Easy!

That seems a bit, er...immoral?

I'm a thief, what'd you expect? 'Sides, 'e can be a right nasty piece o' work. That treasure's goin' to a better place - my pockets.

In comparison to the previous quest, this one's very straightforwards. All we have to do is use Half-Inch on hunter mechs until one gives up the tycoon's trove we're looking for; it's a key item, and added to the normal steal possibilities. Sadly I don't know the exact chance of grabbing one, but it's not too low.

Easy peasy. Now to take my share...

The hardest part of this is that hunter mechs are deep in the Bad Cave. That's not really a problem, though.

Of course you may have it. I did collect it just for you, after all.

He he! Nice one! Here, you can have this as payment for the job.

Ha ha! I hereby pronounce you a member of the B-Team! The first rule of the gang is that all loot has to be shared equally between members. Ha ha! Come on out, you lot!

Cheers boss! Don't mind if I do!

And this is your share. Take it, you've earned it.

That's quite a sizeable amount! All this, for me?

Wot are you gonna do wiv the rest, boss?

I want you to take it and hand it out to the poor and needy. Go on, boys, get out there and spread the wealth!

Yes, boss!

"Nasty piece o' work", huh?

Well, 'e used to be, at least. Maybe 'e's changed...

How long's it been, anyway? You can't be that old.

You'd be surprised. It's been, oh, fifteen years since I was 'ere last, I'd say. Aside from when we passed through a few days ago, o' course. 'Ardly feels that long, though... Incident'lly, slimes make great moistiuriser if you squish 'em up. I learned that one the 'ard way.

The roguess's robs we got from Buster are quite stylish and surprisingly strong. Rogue's robes are male-only, roguess's are female-only and they're both Thief-only. Unfortunately they don't have any extra stats on aside from the usual Defence (which is the same for both). Deftness would've been thematic!

Right, since Solitaire's mopin' an' Steph's Wun Tun-crazy, I'm takin' charge. You said we got a boat in Bloomin'dale, yeah? Let's go there.

That's a boat an' an 'alf! Almost feels a shame to 'ave just us on it. 'Ow'd you say you came by it again?

It was given to us by...Marionette.

No, she's...

Gone, you said, yeah?

Really? You didn't find her before she left on her journey? She's a standoffish one alright, that young lady! She could have at least thanked you for rescuing her before heading off. Anyway... As promised, this old vessel is yours now, to sail on wherever you please! Take her far and wide! She likes to travel, this one!

Come on, Solitaire. This is her last wish. Let's not waste it.

Yeah. You're right.

Gleeban gold piece

Tycoon's trove

Rogue's robes

Style: 38 Nonchalant, 38 Vain, 29 Alluring, 41 Aloof, 31 Naive, 26 Chic

Roguess's robes

Style: 40 Nonchalant, 38 Vain, 32 Alluring, 43 Aloof, 34 Naive, 29 Chic

Slick slacks

Style: 24 Nonchalant, 28 Vain, 18 Alluring, 21 Aloof, 15 Naive, 17 Chic

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 10, 2022

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

I'm really sorry it took six months to get this out! I've been kept fairly busy and haven't had much opportunity to work on this, but hopefully that'll change agai.

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Getting a ship in a game like this is always exciting. Things open right up.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Not going to lie; I honestly thought this had started to go the way of various other DQ9 LPs and had resigned myself to that possible eventually, so color me surprised when I saw this updated today . :)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Epicmissingno posted:

I want you to take it and hand it out to the poor and needy. Go on, boys, get out there and spread the wealth!

I feel this was meant to be Buster.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel this was meant to be Buster.

You're absolutely right and I thought I fixed all of those. I guess I missed one.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

After DQXI, going back to earlier games and seeing Luminary just mean someone who dances really well is a lot to take in. They should've called Sylvando that. :allears:

Glad to see this back! The cat quest was especially amazing.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Great time, you know, BESIDES Marrionette passing on. Good to see this update again and after DQ11 (Beat it a couple years back, been slowly creeping through it on 11S since I found it for 20$ online) it's nice to see despite changes to the games as a whole, the series knows to keep things light hearted until appropriate.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Part 42: Around the World in Eighty Deaths

Music: Sea Breeze (IV)

Oh, if you want to see if everything's ship-shape amidships while we're sailing, just press the B Button to hit the deck, okay? And when you're ready to get going again, press the A Button next to the steering wheel on the deck, and it's anchors wahey!

And once you're off the boat, you'll be able to see where it is on the map, so if you can't find it, just hit the Y Button. Right, that's the sailing one-hundred-and-one course done and dusted with. Let's soar across the seas till we're sea-sore!

We finally have a ship! And with it, most of the world is open to us. Stella's explanation is pretty good, so there's not much else to say about the basic ship controls, other than this: if we Zoom to somewhere, the ship will follow. It's incredibly useful for getting to some out-of-the-way places without a lot of sailing.

But before setting off on the high seas, we should probably take a look at what we'll be sailing them on. This may sound like a waste of time, but actually there's some good stuff in here. Might as get it out of the way now!

Urp... Give me a bit before we set off.

Feeling seasick? Sure.

Ooh, this is the captain's room, right?

I think we should leave it empty.

There's nothing really here aside from a couple of barrels. It's just for flavour. Speaking of flavour, it's hard to see from the screenshots, but while on the boat everything bobs up and down!

I'll take this one. "Seashells an' crimson coral can often be found on the beach. Why not take a seaside stroll an' see what you can see?"

A recipe book on a ship? It's more likely than you think. This is where we're meant to find out about the trident that Solitaire has equipped, and with its damage bonus against Aquatic family monsters it's really useful out on the sea. Gracos's trident is both a reference to one of the series' recurring bosses (sadly not appearing in this game) and an upgrade to the trident, requiring it to be mixed with a mighty armlet and two chunks of densinium. And then there's the watermaul wand; we saw one in the Bloomingdale shop, but can be alchemised using a Stolos' staff, three seashells and three crimson coral. With how annoying the coral is to get, just buy one if it's needed.

Tsunami staves are an upgrade to watermaul wands. We'd need to add a celestial skein and an enchanted stone, so it isn't feasible to make without going into some areas that are a bit much to deal with right now. Boomer briefs are some very provocative male-only leggings that we haven't seen in a while; they're made from boxer shorts and a boomerang (ha!). Wonder pants are boomer briefs plus aggressence and are, again, a strict upgrade. They're actually pretty good and easy to make! A shame about the looks.

The cupboards here actually give up two pieces of equipment: a springtime skirt and a fur hood. I don't think we have either of those, but we have seen them in shops before. The hood's a bit better than Reona's current headgear so she gets it.

That's a lot of barrels! And none of them are interesting.

I'm gettin' the feelin' there's somethin' really special in there.

Looks like we can't get it right now, though. Maybe with the right key?

Cell doors are so annoying. They're hiding a lot of good stuff, and this is probably the best one. We'll definitely want to keep it in mind for when we get whatever unlocks these.

I think I'm feeling a bit better now. Let's go.

Where to?

That light'ouse over there sounds like a proper good idea.

The obvious first place to go to is indeed the lighthouse to the southwest.

We can dock pretty much anywhere that isn't a really high cliff or unwalkable terrain. Even in some places that look like they'd be impossible to disembark on!

The island's very small, and the only thing of note here is the lighthouse. There aren't even any new encounters here! It's mostly hocus chimaeras with the occasional king slime or stone golem thrown in for good measure.

Have you heard of treasure maps? They show the entrances to grottoes where you can find all sorts of amazing treasure.

I think I saw one of those at the bottom of our bags. Wanna take a look?

No! I've got a really bad feeling about it, but I can't remember why...

This man's got a bit more to say but it's all weird semi-diagetic tutorialising and we've seen it all before. He does at least warn about the strong bosses at the bottom of grottoes, though.

Helloooooo? Anyone home?

I think I can hear footsteps upstairs.

Aww! Here, kitty, kitty!

These were your footsteps? Doesn't look like anyone's 'ere after all.

Hmm... Maybe the roof?

They say there's a lass there who's (sic) face could light up a thousand lighthouses! A desert queen who lives in the Mirage Mahal...

A desert? What's one of those?

You don't know what a desert is?

We don't have any of those on the Observatory! And I only ever went to Angel Falls anyway.

I haven't really been to one either, but apparently they're really dry and sandy and stuff.

You got that right, an' the sand gets everywhere. 'Orrible stuff.

Oh, you've been there?

Once or twice. Gleeba's not a bad spot for thievin'.

The Djust Desert (and the city therein, Gleeba) is our intended next destination. But there's still plenty to explore on the open ocean, so let's get to doing that instead.

Looking at our world map, we can see where we've explored already based on where the icons are. Angel Falls, Stornway and Coffinwell are over to the northwest, Dourbridge and Bloomingdale are to the southeast, and Alltrades Abbey and Porth Llaffan are slap bang in the middle. We've travelled in a sort of diagonal line across the world! Coffinwell and Zere don't count.

This badly-annotated map (drawn over by yours truly!) shows the encounter areas for the sea, with 1 containing the easiest monsters and 4 the hardest. The only place I could find any of this information was in poor-quality scans of an old Prima guide so you should probably take it with a pinch of salt. Unfortunately this also means I only know the general encounter difficulty, not what monsters actually show up there aside from a couple of really nasty ones.

For example, we can find men o' war over here in zone 1, which we've seen before in the Twyll Cave. In fact, a lot of monsters from that dungeon are found here.

These look a bit dangerous. Do you think we can make it?

Eh, probably.

Zone 2 has new stuff, though! In a break from tradition, I won't be making any monster bios for stuff we find on the sea or on the various islands we visit, with a few notable exceptions, because they're mostly found elsewhere and I think it'd be best to spotlight them there instead. However, both monsters in this fight are the aforementioned exceptions!

#091 Claw hammer posted:

code:
Aquatic Family
HP: 98         MP: 9
Attack: 108    Defence: 90   Agility: 90
Exp: 432       Gold: 126
Elemental resistances
: 125 : 050 : 100 : 200

Status resistances
: 100 : 000 : 050 : 100
: 100 : 000 : 075 : 050

Common Drop: Magic beast horn (1/16)
Rare Drop: Tough guy tattoo (1/128)

Giant sharks that topple enemies with Trip of a Deathtime, then hit them while they're down. Strong against ice magic.

Their cruel claws have scuppered so many ships that sailors are more scared of them than they are of storms.

Wow, that's quite a lightning weakness. Anyway, claw hammers are simple monsters; they attack, or they use Trip of a Deathtime.

It does the same thing as Steph's staff ability that we never use, attempting to inflict Inaction onto the party. War Cry is just better, okay?

#092 Shocktopus posted:

code:
Machine Family
HP: 75         MP: 0
Attack: 85     Defence: 156  Agility: 90
Exp: 375       Gold: 144
Elemental resistances
: 075 : 075 : 100 : 150

Status resistances
: 050 : 000 : 000 : 050
: 000 : 150
: 050 : 075 : 050 : 050

Common Drop: Magic beast horn (1/16)
Rare Drop: Iron nails (1/32)

Betentacled terrors that are immune to poison, paralysis and sleep. Whack them silly before they launch a Spike Strike.

Explosive octopuses assembled in the underworld. The smooth movement of their many legs is ludicrously lifelike.

Iron nails, my nemesis! You return once again to taunt me! Shocktopuses are your standard high defence, low HP monsters, this time with a crippling weakness to instant death. Priests will have an absolute field day. Bang works well too. Oh, and notably, despite looking like octopi, they're actually machines.

We've seen their Spike Strike before on knocktopuses, but it's still a very cool ability. Missile spikes!

And they'll also explode, killing themselves and doing damage to the party. They've also got a more powerful version but they use it much less often.

See, that wasn't so bad. And now we'll be prepared for more!

Everyone got a level from these battles, but no spells or abilities were learned. The stats are still appreciated, of course.

Oi, you lot. There's land ahead.

I see it. It looks very...barren.

Taking a break from ocean encounters for a moment, our first stop is this out-of-the-way island between the Stornway continent (you can see it and the Hexagon up above!) and the unexplored landmass to the south. Based on the map, we're now in the Western Wormwood region. We miiiiight be breaking sequence a little here.

Maybe Slasha would want to hear about this.

Oh right, she uses swords. I think.

The only point of interest on this island is this sign. It might be good to remember it for later, but for now it does nothing.

Oh, and the monsters too. Yeah, we're fighting some.

I know I said the others looked dangerous, but these...

Yeah, I'm not sure if we can handle these ones.

Gramarye gruffons and cyclopes are from an area we're intended to go to after getting all seven fyggs, and they're pretty nasty. We are not prepared for this in the slightest. And as I said last update, this party doesn't have Midheal.

Yowch! You can't just throw rocks at people.

That's a lot of damage! These things have considerably more Attack than our last boss fight, and cyclopes have even more.

Looks like I barely scratched it. 'Ow're you all doin'?

215 HP's also quite a bit to chew through, especially with how much Defence they have.

Done. That was easy.

I'm not trying to steal your glory or anything, but I don't think it's over yet.

Wha-

Oh no, they got Steph!

Okay, maybe it's not so easy. I think it's time to leave.

So...funny story. I forgot to heal up after that last fight.

...Oh. That's not good.

No way to run... Look out!

No, Reona!

I think she made an opening. Let's go!

Steph... Reona...

We need to get them to a church. Now.

Music: Healed by a Hymn (VIII)

I'm so glad you're both back on your feet.

It was a shock, but dying a second time isn't as bad as I thought. Who knew?

Same 'ere. Me 'ead 'urts somefin' fierce, though.

Thanks for giving us that opening, Reona. We might not have made it out otherwise.

Eh? You're thankin' me? Never thought I'd see the day.

If you're being like that, maybe I shouldn't have.

I think I see somewhere we can land again.

Can we avoid fighting this time, please? I have an awful feeling it'll go badly.

The Ondor Cliffs here are north of Newid Isle, on the south coast of the northeastern continent. The monsters here are about the same strength as the ones we saw in Western Wormwood, so let's just leave them alone.

This place feels like a cemetery...

Let's not join them.

Looks like the monsters already unearthed some of the graves. I think I saw some of the bodies walking around, too.

We can get evencloth from some of the gravestones, which makes this the first time we've seen them out in the world.

There's also a point where we can gather corundium at the end of the cliff. Another source of it can't hurt, but along with the evencloth it's a bit too out of the way to be useful right now.

Getting back on the boat, zone 3 has some nasty late-game monsters that we really shouldn't be fighting right now. These ones in particular are from the same place as what we found on that island before, but because they're random encounters instead of on the field we can't avoid them!

What's that? Kill them all? Alright.

Quick, take the monsters out before she can do too much damage!

Unfortunately the terrorhawk manages to confuse Solitaire, which is probably the single worst thing it could have done. She is currently the strongest member of the party, after all.

Urk! Too late...

Serves you right.

Phew, all done. You okay, Solitaire?

...What happened? Why is Reona on the floor?

Well, you sort of...killed her? I think that monster was controlling you.

I did what!?

Let's not worry about that now. We need to get Reona to a church right away.

Actually...we seem to be close to an island. Maybe that building's a church?

I guess it's worth a try.

It's possible to sail all the way around the north edge of the Stornway continent and up the river into Loch Storn. So that's what we've done!

There are monsters here that we'll be seeing soon enough in Gleeba...and also some from the final dungeon. It's such a weird disparity.

I don't think this is a church.

Oh... Sorry for suggesting it, then.

It's fine! Like I said, it was worth a try.

The only things here are this monster and this cow. The monster has a quest for us...that we can't do at the moment, so we'll be giving it a miss. And the cow just doesn't do anything. The pots here have a good chance of giving us mini medals, though - and one does!

Thanks for gettin' me on my feet again. Can't believe Solitaire got me killed twice in one day, though.

Hey! ...But you do have a point.

It's no fun makin' fun of you if you're like that, you know.

Having exhausted all the options to the west, it's time to head east from Bloomingdale.

This coast is all within encounter zone 2, so it's a lot safer than the places we've already been. In fact, we won't be going into zone 3 again for a while, so expect a lot less death for a bit!

This is the Lonely Coast, once more a completely optional area. We can't access most of it at the moment but we can still explore the beach.

Once more, the monsters here are a fair bit stronger than what we're used to, so we'll be trying to avoid fighting.

Ah, plunder! Nobody'll miss these.

I wonder how these got here. Ooh, what if they're from a pirate raid?

I 'eard shipwrecks just tend to drift over 'ere. Somefin' about tides an' currents an' all that.

Well you're no fun either.

Once more, there's only really one item of interest on these stops, and in this case it's a gathering spot for Gleeban guineas. Since there are three here right now, that's a 1500G haul from visiting. Very nice.

Next up: this little island. Is this Pluvi Isle, or is that the island further to the north? Who knows!

Well, well, well!

I don't think I'll be recommending you for any comedy acts any time soon...

Once more, only a single point of interest.

There's a man in this well, and he's got a quest we can do immediately, which is better than most other places we've been!

It's my dream to fill this place with beautiful belle caps and make it into a kind of belle cap paradise! Quite an impressive plan, wouldn't you say? I was wondering if you could help me along the way by bringing me three of them. Belle caps can be found growing on a small island just to the east of Gleeba.

Hmm, belle caps... I think we've got some of those already.

Fantastic! I knew you'd find room in your heart to help me! Just imagine the sense of satisfaction when I've made a whole world of belle caps!

We've had access to plentiful belle caps for ages, so this one's practically free.

You've brought me three of them, just like I asked! Let me have them then!

Are you sure about this? He seems a bit...suspect.

It's just mushrooms. What harm could they do?

Fantastic! I'm sure I'll be able to use these three specimens to create a whole new world of belle caps! You deserve a reward! Here you go.

Finessence isn't bad to get for how simple this is. This quest is also repeatable, but we'd get a magic beast horn if we did it again. Not bad, but if we wanted them we'd probably be better off stealing.

Does Gus really live down here? It seems a bit squalid.

I've 'ad to live in a lot worse. It's not bad when you get used to it.

That's about all there is on possibly-Pluvi Isle. However, on the way to our next destination...

Nice! The undead won't stand a chance.

Solitaire and Steph got a level each! At level 23 characters start gaining 5 skill points instead of the 3 or 4 we've been used to up to now. Deliverance is a staff ability that does extra damage to undead for no cost; in fact, it's a fairly significant 1.5x multiplier. The next dungeon's stacked with the things so maybe she'll be useful there (if she gets voted into the party, of course).

Land ho!

That tree looks like the one the Starflight Express dropped me at... I wonder if there's any relation.

Hmm... It's a lot smaller, but it looks similar. Wait, what's that on the ground?

Whoa, what's that you've got there?

It looks like a leaf from Yggdrasil, but that's up in the Observatory. How'd it get here?

Maybe it fell down when you did? I dunno.

Yggdrasil leaves are very, very special items. They're the only way to revive dead characters outside of Zing or churches. In most games it's only possible to hold one at a time, although there's occasionally a way to cheat the system and get more. In this one, though? We can get as many as we want! ...As long as we're willing to farm blue chests or wait for this spot to replenish.

Predictably, though, we have exhausted this island's single point of interest. On to the next.

He seems very intense. I'm not sure we should talk to him.

This strange man has a quest for us, but we a) can't accept it because Axander isn't around and b) don't have access to the things we need to complete it, so once more, just remember it for later.

However, for once there's more than one thing on this island! This is our first guaranteed source of thunderballs. They're used to alchemise a few lightning-themed weapons as well as enchanted stones which are used in a lot.

Moving right along, we're heading back into the dangerous ocean zone 3. Hopefully things don't go horribly wrong!

No.

Maybe.

#162 Seasaur posted:

code:
Aquatic Family
HP: 304        MP: 24
Attack: 180    Defence: 192  Agility: 101
Exp: 1900      Gold: 160
Elemental resistances
: 050 : 050 : 100 : 125
: 100 : 100 : 150

Status resistances
: 075 : 100 : 075 : 100
: 050 : 000 : 050 : 050
: 025 : 050

Common Drop: Dragon scale (1/16)
Rare Drop: Magic beast horn (1/64)

These super-strong sea serpents have sunk many a ship with their ear-splitting roars and brutal hot and cold breath.

Sailors say that if you hear the song of the seasaur on a stormy night, you'll never set foot on the safety of dry land again.

Things have gone horribly wrong. Seasaurs are the apex predators of ocean zone 3, with stats rivalling Equinox (except HP), decent ailment resistances and some very, very powerful attacks. And zone 4 has an even nastier version of them called abyss divers! We are not going to zone 4. They also have the dubious honour of being the only monster that is exclusive to the ocean, which is why we're covering it now.

Hey, that's my move! That's not allowed.

We should be fairly familiar with War Cry by now. It's not as potent in enemy hands as ours, thankfully. It's also the least threatening thing seasaurs can do.

20-30 damage to everyone kinda hurts; we've seen it before on hocus chimaeras but it's used much more often here. No, we still don't have any multi-target healing.

Isn't once enough...?

This is also the point in the fight where Steph dies.

'Ow's it 'ittin' so 'ard!?

And Reona gets slapped for about half her maximum HP. I did say these things had high stats!

I was 'opin' to stay even with Steph...

Shouldn't we be running around now?

Hold on, I think I've got it...

There!

This probably would have been a lost cause if it wasn't for this lucky critical. High Strength plus bonus aquatic damage from the trident plus crit equals chunking off two thirds of a seasaur's HP. Who knew?

...Or maybe that just made it angry.

Seasaurs are enraged by critical hits 75% of the time. Solitaire having the highest Defence of the party makes this a good thing, actually, since now it won't go after Lumin.

Here's its last trick: in ice breath attack which does about the same damage as its fire variant. Which is deadlier is dependent on party resistances and not much else.

I thought that would be the end for a moment...

To be honest? So did I.

Nothing for Lumin this level, but I'm just glad that fight's over. We'll be pressing on to our destination, though, since it's not too far away.

If Reona was still alive, I'm sure she'd have something interesting to say about these weird pillars. Maybe I should ask after she gets back up?

I don't remember why this grave is here. Maybe another quest later?

But the real prize here is these gathering spots. These are the only spots where rockbomb shards and flintstones can be found outside of monster drops, though we've seen both before. This place is far too deadly to visit often, though.

...Speaking of which, we should really go back and revive them.

I think you're right. Ready? Let's go.

Yggdrasil leaf

Thunderball

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

It's party vote time again, this time for Gleeba. While it's possible to get the last three fyggs in any order, I'd rather not break the power curve too badly, so intended order it is. As for who's good...

Slasha's going to be pretty much the same as usual: an offensive powerhouse with defensive options if needed. Some new swords will be available but we're in a bit of a dry spot at the moment for alchemical upgrades on that front. However, the next boss is a dragon, so her Dragon Slash will work wonders on it!

Healie heals. He's good at healing. If we want him to do those other things, though, there are a few monsters who don't have great Whack resistance. He'll also get Tingle around now, letting him cure paralysis. There is one upcoming monster that causes it, but it's not too important.

This being a desert, many things are weak to ice, so Freddy will absolutely shred them. Including the boss! His physical attacks may also see some use because the two buyable daggers in Gleeba are particularly strong, even if they're expensive.

Steph is Steph. She hits things hard. She's good against the upcoming undead. With a bit of alchemy she'll also have access to a staff 20 Attack higher than her current one with a wind element attached (which the boss unfortunately resists).

There's not much to steal in Gleeba that we haven't already seen, so Reona isn't a great pick on that front. She can still contribute to damage a bit but she can't escape from the weapon power curve like Steph can, making her not a great choice. Her support abilities are also falling off hard now.

Ron's still got the Black Tortoise fan as an option, and with Midheal he'll make a solid backup healer. He may even get Zing to revive the dead! Plus he still has Crackle, which is weaker than Freddy's but still fairly good. A solid balanced pick, and along with D'Art and Hannah he's not won a party vote yet.

Axander has plenty of damage to go around with his gigasteel axe, with a potential sidegrade that does slightly less damage but can confuse what it hits. It's a pretty good ailment. He may also get the ability Double Up to raise his Attack to ludicrous levels for several turns. Gladiators are really good, you guys.

Valeria will no longer be hamstrung by a bad weapon, but it's still shop-bought so it won't be as good as potential alchemical creations. Still, she has Midheal in case of emergencies. If we gain a lot of levels she may also gain Kabuff to support the party but it's unlikely. Not bad, not amazing.

Fources are great for physical attackers, so if D'Art is paired up with one they'll do even more damage. A lot of stuff is weak to Frost Fource especially. He'll be able to support decently well with his status spells but weapon-wise things aren't looking too good. Nothing is buyable in Gleeba, but we can alchemise something decent. He's also never won a party vote along with Ron and Hannah.

The same thing goes for Hannah's bows as D'Art's; we'd need to use alchemy to make a better one, though we do currently have all of the components. She'll almost certainly get Midheal and maybe Zing to help with healing while doing decent physical damage. She's the last one who has never won a party vote.

It's possible that Theo may pick up Multiheal around now, since it's learned at level 24, and he still has Zing and Midheal. He's still mostly stuck with Zammle and Bang for damage but they're also quite good (and the boss is weak to Zammle too). He'll never be good at physical attacks but there is a new 'rang available if I have absolutely nothing to spend money on (unlikely).

Remember how I was wrong about Lumin getting her gigasteel weapon last time? Well, the iron version will be buyable in Gleeba so we can actually make one this time. It might help prop up her terrible Strength? She'll also get Midheal next level so she can help with healing in a pinch. Luminary just isn't very good...

It's been a while, but vote for two characters and fourth place will be Solitaire's vocation.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Let’s go with Hannah and D’Art.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

D'art and Hannah should have a go

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

D'art and Hannah.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

...For a change, I'm voting for Healie and Hannah.

Great to see this coming back.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I'll round out the under-represented vote - Ron and D'Art

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

D'Art and Theo. I've been doing a solo run and Fource was was got me past the next boss.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Current standings:

D'Art - 5
Hannah - 4
Ron - 1
Healie - 1
Theo - 1

Everyone else - 0

I see we have our two favourites this time, and if there's a tie for third I'm picking Ron. There's still time to vote, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

let’s save you the trouble. Ron and D’Art.