Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Everyone: "Hey, you know what would be fun? To have goony goon griefers show up in the novel who troll people and poo poo over everything the others enjoy!"

(Goony goon shows up in the thread and shits over everything. Not much fun is had.)

Serious suggestion though: Be careful not to include goon griefers just as a masturbatory self-insert - the original novel had plenty of that. Either mention them in passing as one of the many references, or have them contribute to the plot in a meaningful way - perhaps a sort of wild card faction in the final battle that no one takes seriously until their true allegiance is revealed. Or simply utilize them as a random force of chaos during the battle that creates both obstacles and opportunities for the heroes as the griefers randomly attack/hinder/clown both Sixers and gunters, sorry, hunters, indiscriminately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I've had this idea of presenting Anorak's invitation as an in-world document, but I'm not sure if this version doesn't make it harder to read than the original. Maybe someone has a better idea for formatting the thing, the footnotes might work in a novel but not on the screen. Pay no attention to my prose, I'm not a writer, it's just intended as a placeholder.

---------

ANORAK'S INVITATION - CLAN INDIANA_CROFT ANNOTATED VERSION
Transcribed from video by sneezingpanda and thenoid57
Annotated by various clan members

SCENE 4

HALLIDAY SNAPS HIS FINGERS AGAIN AND THE VAULT DISAPPEARS. HE SHRINKS AND MORPHS INTO A SMALL BOY WEARING BROWN CORDUROYS AND A FADED T-SHIRT [1].
THE YOUNG HALLIDAY STANDS IN A CLUTTERED LIVING ROOM WITH BURNT ORANGE CARPETING, WOOD-PANELED WALLS, AND KITSCHY LATE-'70S DECOR [2]. A TELEVISION [3] SITS NEARBY, WITH A GAME CONSOLE [4] HOOKED UP TO IT.

HALLIDAY (IN CHILD'S VOICE)
This was the first videogame system I ever owned. An Atari 2600. I got it for Christmas in 1979.

HALLIDAY SITS DOWN IN FRONT OF THE CONSOLE, PICKS UP A JOYSTICK [5], AND BEGINS TO PLAY.

[1] The Muppet Show, ITV (UK) 13 September 1976 – 15 March 1981. The shirt was manufactured by Fruit of the Loom from 1977 to 1979. Characters featured are Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Animal, Gonzo and Fozzie Bear. -3ggb3rt42
[2] Anyone been able to identify the character on the postcard under the Felix the Cat clock? -w00tan
- That's Amik the beaver, mascot of the 1976 Summer Olympics. -jaktorrentz2034
- Ya think the rainbow stripes on the beaver are a hint towards the rainbow stripes on the ZX Spectrum logo? -largymcbighuge89
- LOL @ this noob -w00tan
- gently caress this gay clan im out -largymcbighuge89
- You're out of your element! -clarenceoveur
- what does that even mean -largymcbighuge89
- That... is why you fail. -w00tan
- gently caress you all -largymbighuge89
- All right this has been fun, can we get back to serious discussion please? -jaktorrentz2034
[3] Zenith Electronics LLC, model L1310C, 21'' screen -techgod1138
[4] Atari 2600. Atari Inc., September 11, 1977 - mid-1992 -cptobvius69
[5] Atari CX40 joystick -techgod1138

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

How much do you think is good to cover? Just a few scant details, the actual reading of the will, and the clue at the end?

Since the will sets the mood for the "chock full with 80s references" style, at least in the original book, I'd leave as much of it in as possible. Not all annotated of course, that would be torture for the reader.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's the summary of Anorak's Invitation from the RPO wiki:

Would the rewrite work as a summary similar to this one, or shortened up? I still want a bit more of Wade's personality here at the start.

Then perhaps describe it through Wade's eyes, as someone who at this point finds the whole nostalgia thing a bit silly and sad. Make it "some 1980s high school movie" instead of "Heathers", "an old crappy video game console with laughably blocky graphics" instead of "an Atari 2600", etc. Then perhaps revisit this very scene at the end of the chapter in an "annotated" version to show just how much went over Wade's head.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Not many thoughts and not too much time at the moment, but rather than have you post your hard work to a reply of deafening silence and trolls, let me just say that I liked it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
I thought for a long time that the first-person perspective was an integral part of the story, but strangely enough, it does seem to read a lot better in third person. It'll be interesting to see how well third person perspective holds up when it comes to scenes in which Wade's internal thought processes become central to the plot.

• Locked thread