Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Clipperton posted:

:lol: at lecturing everyone itt on the importance of style while loving up their own posts enough to get probed

Apropos of nothing the idea of TBB mod Hieronymous "Hank" Alloy probing people exclusively for breaking MLA standards would be pretty hilarious

Anyway, keep up the good work everyone, from the dudes trying to rewrite a bad book to the ones making fun of those people, everyone is doing dynamite work in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ehh I don't know that I would call just lifting a bunch of things people are proven to like and mashing them together "potential".

It's like the "my kid could paint this" effect we discussed the other day. Except the reason nobodies done anything like this before is because it's even more audacious than a normal ripoff.

Someone attempting to rip off Harry Potter for example might try to replicate the themes, tone, or approximate the content. They wouldn't just go "oh Harry Potter is literally in my book but now he rides Falcor and Gandalf is his uncle" or whatever.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's seriously baffling how much time has been spent arguing about the importance of prose in a thread about "fixing" a bad novel. Even if we agree that prose is third or fourth on most "readers" lists, doesn't the premise of the thread mean that we still want to tackle it as one of the flaws regardless?

If we're just going by average reader preference then this entire thread is moot because the average reader already liked RPO. If we agree there are things to improve, certainly we make a good faith attempt to improve along all fronts rather than just making this "RPO Remixed" with better representation and less Mary Sue ex machina, right?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Can't wait for Mel to eat his words when Cheetos rewrite hits the NYT best sellers list

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hmmm blaming the haters is a convenient out for the OP to never bother to post another update again

But what if maybe...just maybe, Chito pulls it off, and shows all those haters what he can do! Isn't that a better resolution to the thread?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So write it for all the people who keep coming in to encourage you and yell at the "trolls" (and then seem to disappear when there are no trolls to yell at)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kruxy posted:

"C'mon you loving piece of poo poo fucker!" Wade shrieked. The excitebike groaned in protest. Wade torqued the little throttle to its limit and the little muffler squirted little pixels of exhaust. Even with the Pit Bull engines assisting, the tiny cycle was pushing the limits of its bytes. The concussive quakes on Wade's tail rumbled closer.

An explosion of earth and source code sent Wade rocketing into the sky. The ground opened up below him into a fractured grin. He stared in disbelief as the fissure became smaller and smaller in his HUD. Goddamn he was high. Like "it's a good thing that the OASIS doesn't require an atmosphere" high. He felt his ascent slow as he reached the parabola's apex.

Wade was dropping back to the ground at an alarming speed. The physics engine was breaking under the server strain. Suddenly, Donkey Kong's enormous head broke through the crack in the landscape beneath him. Wade screamed as he plummeted towards that gaping maw, his tiny arms and legs flailing fruitlessly.

*record scraaaaaaaaaaaaatch*

"I'll bet you're wondering how I got in this situation."

lmao nice

EDIT: ughhhh terrible page topper, sorry

• Locked thread