Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MEGALO BOX is a futuristic take on Ashita no Joe, created as part of the manga's 50th anniversary. First-time series director You Moriyama (The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Oh Edo Rocket) is working with the writing team of Katsuhiko Manabe and Kensaku Kojima (Hamon: Yakuza Boogie, Midnight Diner 2) at TMS Entertainment. mabanua (Kids on the Slope) is credited for music on the series.

Rather than transposing the exact story of the original manga into a future setting, this seems to be taking the spirit of the original to create something new. The first episode definitely delivered on the strong design and musical elements already shown in promotional material, but I was glad to see it wasn't slouching in terms of animation/direction and a great central performance by Yoshimasa Hosoya as Junk Dog.

New episodes air on Crunchyroll every Thursday at 1PM CDT/6PM UTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'm glad someone stole this anime from 2003 and brought it to the present

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, this was good. Covered a lot of ground, even if it still feels like prologue.

Hardly a surprise Yoshimasa Hosoya is good as a street punk going for his shot considering Gundam, but it's still a really good showing.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'll watch it if the story ends up being something beyond boxing maybe. i watched ping pong club (which i care about equally as boxing) because of the director and animation, so it will have to reach that level

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Relin posted:

i'll watch it if the story ends up being something beyond boxing maybe. i watched ping pong club (which i care about equally as boxing) because of the director and animation, so it will have to reach that level

New thread rule: This dweeb can't post.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It happens with every sports based show and I'm tired of seeing people say they don't care about the sport the show is about because it's not even discussion or crit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I was gonna make the threadfor this since the first episode kicked so much rear end lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Change the title to Cyborg Jox

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

Parallax posted:

i'm glad someone stole this anime from 1983 and brought it to the present

Seriously, I've never seen such an amazingly successful attempt at capturing the look and feel of a vintage show. I wish 2010 Cobra looked this good.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ahh that was so good.

There's a part during the fight where JD's trainer and another character strike up a conversation, which almost pulls the classic sports anime thing of padding a match length by having side characters talk through it. But then the show reminds you that JD has an earpiece, and is hearing the whole conversation, and makes what they're saying suddenly have a lot more weight. The show rarely leaves JD's perspective and it get so intense, I really love it.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
I love the loyal hound vs unruly mutt aspect they got going on with Yuri vs JD. I'm guessing JD is gonna lose but earn Yuri's respect.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What's really cool about this series to me is that instead of just retelling the story of Ashita no Joe it's using the visual language of the franchise to tell a story starring different characters. The scene where they square up in the rain and Yuri's eyes turn into the Rikishi Tooru glare gave me chills

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Watched the first ep on a whim and yeah this poo poo owns

Is the original Ashita no Joe worth going back to watch? I know this probably barely has anything to do with the original, but this might interest me in checking out the original source material

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the original is a classic

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the original is a classic

I think I called it the classic of classics somewhere else, It's super important historically and culturally and still has a footprint today even though artists coming now are now starting to reference the works that referenced joe instead of referencing it directly.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Watched the first ep on a whim and yeah this poo poo owns

Is the original Ashita no Joe worth going back to watch? I know this probably barely has anything to do with the original, but this might interest me in checking out the original source material

Absolutely. The only way to watch the whole thing legally is to watch the first compilation movie which is available on Fandor I think, and then watch the second series which is on Crunchyroll. The complete first series is also fansubbed and available in the usual places

If you do check out the original keep in mind it's way more of a drama series than a sports series, especially early on. It takes over a season before he even gets in the ring and another season after that before he's a pro boxer

There's always the manga as well, both are super influential in their own ways and are both worth checking out

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

this loving rules

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

that was good as hell

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Wow that first episode was incredible. I love the look of this show.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

loving rad as gently caress

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
:eyepop:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This first episode is incredible, and I want the song that plays after JD punches his manager very very badly.

EDIT: "They don't make tombstones for stray dogs" is such a strong line to end an episode on, I'll be thinking about that ending scene for WEEKS.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 6, 2018

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The music that started when Yuri was walking down to the ring was hype inducing as gently caress. God what a strong first episode

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 6, 2018

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The cinematography in this show is unreal, so I made a couple gifs

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Show owns.

First time really giving a boxing focused anime a shot, feel like I should go back after this is over to watch older ones.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

New thread rule: This dweeb can't post.

agree

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

relin votes every thread a 1

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

First episode owned. Music was top notch

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Matoi Ryuko posted:

:lol:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was wondering what top-of-the-line Gear looked like, and Yuri’s was pretty cool. Here’s hoping we see a bunch more imaginative designs as the tournament gets under way.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good first episode. Very Redline.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

hes right

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Not Medaka Box, voted 2.:reject:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 7, 2018

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

A bit of a drag on the exposition, but whatever. Mega good show, and the soundtrack is amazing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So is this going to closely follow Ashita No Joe's general plot, or is it just inspired by it? Even if the animation is good and it's a twist on it if it follows the same major beats I'm kinda eh on it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im going to watch it because i love cyborg arms

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fabricated posted:

So is this going to closely follow Ashita No Joe's general plot, or is it just inspired by it? Even if the animation is good and it's a twist on it if it follows the same major beats I'm kinda eh on it.

It's more inspired by the visual language so far, there's a few of the basic plot elements there like the main character being poor and having a rivalry with a guy who has striking eyes. The characters seem to be their own things so far though, the Tange Danpe type is way scuzzier for instance.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GorfZaplen posted:

It's more inspired by the visual language so far, there's a few of the basic plot elements there like the main character being poor and having a rivalry with a guy who has striking eyes. The characters seem to be their own things so far though, the Tange Danpe type is way scuzzier for instance.

And the annoying alley kids who formed Joe's main fanbase have been replaced with a too-trusting mechanic with wise life advice, which is a great improvement.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gnome7 posted:

And the annoying alley kids who formed Joe's main fanbase have been replaced with a too-trusting mechanic with wise life advice, which is a great improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIdtUesIdXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

i love that zoom, junk's knuckles are just covered in scar tissue from bare knuckle work, while yuri's always worn gloves

i felt like some of the scene transitions around the middle are weak, i dont like it when scenes fade out from one intense scene to another intense scene, but everything about the second half after junk and yuri meet up are hype

• Locked thread