Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you have a cellular telephone and like word games, we would appreciate help in testing our game!

quote:

Bring your brain to the battle in the addictive word based strategy game Words Royale.
Play words on the board to increase your territory at the expense of your opponent. Capture their crown to win!

- Vanquish your opponents with your voluminous vocabulary!
- Sweep aside your adversaries with skillful strategy!
- Battle against your friends, or compete against the AI to rank up!

:siren: LINKS to the beta: :siren:

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimblebit.wordsroyale

iOS: Fill out this form, and you will receive a Testflight email once we manually add you: https://goo.gl/forms/1YijfM8xnTdaEkXc2

Any bugs / feedback is appreciated! This is a new version of a word game we released a few years ago but with a lot of changes that we hope will make the game better / more playable.

Feel free to post your friend codes, there is also a #GROUP game feature where you can just start a game with a hashtag, and it will match you with another player using the same tag. Let's use the hashtag #SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

How does this differ from your previous word-based territory game?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Klungar posted:

How does this differ from your previous word-based territory game?

It has a single player mode, and the rules are a bit different.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
The very first game I played (the game that auto started) had an issue where the computer wouldn't play a turn until I closed the app and came back. I didnt have to force quit, just go back to the home screen and tap on the app again.

Edit: It looks like this occurs after an incorrect word and skipping the joker.

iPhone X
11.3 (15E216)

The Pell fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 6, 2018

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

The Pell posted:

The very first game I played (the game that auto started) had an issue where the computer wouldn't play a turn until I closed the app and came back. I didnt have to force quit, just go back to the home screen and tap on the app again.

iPhone X
11.3 (15E216)

Hmm, ok we might have missed that case. Do you remember if you have notifications enabled or disabled?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

The Pell posted:

iPhone X
11.3 (15E216)

I tested this exact case! Argh.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm 10JB if anyone wants to be friends. Assuming friends work.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
"GOUDA" is indeed a word. :colbert:

And also a perfectly fine cheese :colbert: :colbert:

E: I can't believe "Joe" counts. Crappy AI.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

DarkHorse posted:

"GOUDA" is indeed a word. :colbert:

And also a perfectly fine cheese :colbert: :colbert:

E: I can't believe "Joe" counts. Crappy AI.

weird, GOUDA isn't in the scrabble dictionary either. That's strange.

PARMESAN and FETA are apparently ok though.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

Hmm, ok we might have missed that case. Do you remember if you have notifications enabled or disabled?

disabled

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'll give this a try. Friend code is 10KC

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm 10KK

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Two crashes:

One while creating a new group game, I played the word “RELAXING”

Another when I clicked on a notification that another player played a word

E:
Typo - “They Merchant played...”

Ex2: ok, It’s actually “They [username] played...”

E3: Another crash when using the notification to go to a game. It worked once between those times, though.

Final Edit, I swear:
iPhone 6+, iOS 11.3

My player number is 10K1

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 6, 2018

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Heya nimble bros. Filled out the iOS form.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.6 (Planning to upgrade to 11.3 soon which shouldn't change anything, but can stay on 11.2.6 if you like for testing)

Editing to sort out comments.

Hard Crashes
  • Started a game vs. a random person in group #SA and got DarkHorse. As soon as the match opened it crashed.
  • Got a hard crash while changing my avatar as well. Went from white dude, red beard, pink wavy hair to black dude, white mustache, flowers in hair. Not repeatable.
  • Another hard crash after I played "EXIT" to win. Not sure the cause. I went back in and played the EXIT again immediately and I won the game with no issues. edit: Happened a 2nd time on another game. Both vs. NPC Merchant so far, but not enough sample to know it's limited to that.
  • Hard crash on submitting a word and it's not a winning words sometimes too
  • Confirming notification hard crash

Other Bugs
  • Sliding left on a game gives me two options: Delete and More. Delete works as expected. More does nothing at all.
  • Playing vs. Captain Cook, his name shows as "Captain C..." while there is plenty of screen real estate to show the full name at the top.
  • Sometimes have to click close several times after a win for the screen to go away. When this happens the close button seems not to respond to input; then when it responds it closes the screen (can see animation) only for another close screen to be behind it. This new one closes on the first time every time. Edit: have to click fake button exactly 6 times

Potential Bugs
  • Joker prices for the shop and when I hit "Get More" from the Hint screen don't match. Hint is 20/100/1000 for $1/$4/$20. Shop is 52/520/5200 for $1/$5/$30.
  • I may or may not have had the computer not play after I played a word. I waited like 5 seconds and nothing happened. I'm not sure if it was thinking or not, but when I went back in it played a word right away. Is it expected for computer opponents to think for a while? If so, can it be indicated? If not, I'll try to look for a situation to recreate it. It happened on the last word "CANVAS" of the first game I played vs. the Knight.
  • This game showed that it's my opponents turn on the main screen, but it's against an NPC and it's actually my turn. I exited quickly after playing my turn to play vs a real person that played so somehow it didn't refresh. After I refreshed open games it correctly showed that it's my turn.

quote:

Match: NB-wordsroyale-1585
    Tag:
    Player 1: 10KK
    Player 2: 2

Suggestions
  • Would be nice to see the last word they played while still on the screen without hitting repeat.
  • A rematch button would be great on the winning screen.
  • The notification counter shows how many games that it's currently my turn in. An option for this to ignore NPC games would be nice.
  • An option to show NPC games before/after Real Life People games would be nice.
  • "Speedy" Option to skip the word playing animation of my opponent.
  • Short tourneys ran at different times of the day. Something like a 30 minute or 1 hour tourney would be fun to sit down and commit to while not worrying about people that can outplay me for 5 days (or however long the current ones are).
  • On the games screen, list how many coins to the next place up to motivate people to play more and move up. If I'm playing 250/game and see I can move up with 200 coins then I'll probably play another. Like right now:

quote:

Aredna
    220 (C) to #9
    4d 14h remaining

General Notes/Comments
  • Is there an obvious way to look at prior games played that I'm missing?
  • Is or will there be a way to buy Jokers with coins?
  • Will there be a way to set back to no avatar if I decide I don't like any of the choices?
  • New avatars I win are slow to load. Should they be cached locally?

Words I wish but are missing
  • CLIT
  • JORTS
  • VAPING
  • TAZE

Aredna fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 6, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

No bad words? oval office doesn't count apparently

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Can't believe 50 people pparaqchute onto a dictionary and only one can win the welsh rarebit meal

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
:argh: Captain Cool

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Had the game crash after playing a game (intro) poking around the menus, going to new game, selecting merchant. Crash.

Also the first game isn’t clear on which color I am or what the object of the game is. It just jumps you in. (I mean it’s easy to figure out, but still grandma might not get it)

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

This game needs to be a lot clearer what the rules are for valid words, especially if you're forcing a skip or to use a paid resource to change a word. Apparently it's OK for the AI to use Franklin and Paris but Aegean(as in the sea) is not a valid word.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

marshmonkey posted:

:argh: Captain Cool

:argh:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
:argh:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Some instructions before jumping you into the first game were you go first might be a good idea. I didn't know I could even select letters on the other side by the red crown until the AI did it after my failed turn.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I like the idea for the game.

Friend code: 10LH

Also, not sure if this is intended or not, but you can jump a letter that isn't connected by selecting it and then selecting a letter that connects it back to your color zone.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Trying this out as delfin on my Fire HD10.

The app yoinks me into Portrait mode automatically, which I wasn't entirely expecting but fine.

Seconding what others have said about a tutorial of sorts and tooltips and such for your first game or two -- it's logical once you get it but it took me a few tries to work out who was who and what I was doing. I didn't get the "you're blue" message until I'd closed and reopened the app.

I played a few games against the CPU, lost at least twice without even realizing that I was in danger of losing. Once I worked out how to play defense it was much smoother.

I have a game open against a Knight that seems frozen -- I played and it's just sitting there. NB-wordsroyale-1778 if you can look it up from your end. I opened a second game against a Merchant to try to continue while the Knight makes up his mind (1784), and that too is stuck.

EDIT: The CPU finally moved after several minutes. Does the single-player game require a network connection, BTW?

delfin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 6, 2018

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Cluncho McChunk posted:

This game needs to be a lot clearer what the rules are for valid words, especially if you're forcing a skip or to use a paid resource to change a word. Apparently it's OK for the AI to use Franklin and Paris but Aegean(as in the sea) is not a valid word.

If it is just the usual Scrabble rules do we need to state that you think?

Aegean is a proper noun so not allowed.

FRANKLIN
A MEDIEVAL ENGLISH LANDOWNER

PARIS
A EUROPEAN HERB

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Are most people not seeing the tips during the tutorial game or is it that the tips aren't adequate?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

eeenmachine posted:

If it is just the usual Scrabble rules do we need to state that you think?

Aegean is a proper noun so not allowed.

FRANKLIN
A MEDIEVAL ENGLISH LANDOWNER

PARIS
A EUROPEAN HERB

I haven't read Scrabble rules in a long time but does it allow swears?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Len posted:

I haven't read Scrabble rules in a long time but does it allow swears?

It might allow a few but I think Marshmonkey took some out. For... decency?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

eeenmachine posted:

Are most people not seeing the tips during the tutorial game or is it that the tips aren't adequate?

In my first game, they did not pop up at all and I could not move for a while. I closed the app, restarted it, and eventually I did get "You're blue" and the next one. Could probably use some handholding like "The enemy is vulnerable -- capture this tile to win!" or "You're vulnerable -- better reclaim this hex!" early on.

Also, when I first started the app, I had a coin balance of zero. There was the weekly gift at right to get me started,
once I noticed it and clicked it, but no other obvious way with which to get enough coins to start my first game.

delfin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 6, 2018

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Guess who thought you could only play letters that were attached to your area of influence.... I figured since were a dark grey color when I depressed the letter, they would not be allowed or considered in play for me.

e1: I haven't seen any tips pop up
e2: I love that this game is completely not about trying to make the biggest most sophisticated word that you can... cause I'm dumb and word games highlight that.
e3: Forwarded the form to my wife for her to sign up. That's not an issue right?

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 6, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Got another crash when trying to load from a notification, this time with rotaryfun.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Downloaded and installed, playing as monty. I fired off a #SA game and waiting for someone to match to. Will post as/if bad things happen! Running this on a Pixel 2 XL with Android 8.1.0.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

eeenmachine posted:

Mostly the former. The game had no initial instructions. Just dumped me into the start. A quick tour would be nice. (Or maybe ask if I want one)

Also echoing the ‘it wasn’t clear I could use non adjacent hexes until the AI did it’.

Edit I played this morning on my 9.7” iPad Pro and didn’t get the “you are blue” popup. I just loaded it on my iPhone 8 and got it.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 6, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think you should consider making the Q a Qu like in Scrabble.

It also might be a good idea to make whatever pulls new letters to make sure there are at least two vowels on the board at all times.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Started a new game this morning and I guess I intimidated the AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c44HQhpjXCw

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Pell posted:

Started a new game this morning and I guess I intimidated the AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c44HQhpjXCw

I just got this exact thing

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I haven't been able to figure out the cause, but it seems when I de-select a letter, it will sometimes completely clear my whole word rather than just the letter I removed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, now the computer just refuses to take a turn on any game I start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
On a first generation Pixel-game automatically takes me to a tutorial, allows me to take one turn, and then that's it. I put in a word, a bunch of tiles are revealed, and then nothing else happens and nothing works. Game is unresponsive.

• Locked thread