Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the reason i brought it up is because my job is working with people who have disabilities. i think it's super unethical to have the money making system in a game directly discriminate against people who were born with a disability. a person with dyslexia or with motor control difficulties, for example, who buys IAP in this game will lose money that they spent through no fault of their own, and that's really hosed up

Replace every s with a $ and you have the reason right there. I uninstalled the second I ran out of jokers which is a shame because this game is very much my jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, punishing misspellings or typos seems overly harsh, especially without a confirmation screen when entering a word; I fat fingered the last letter and it cost me a joker.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
One option might be to create a toggle for a second dialogue pop up displaying the word and asking “are you sure?” before you hit submit again. Functionally that would still be the same thing as waiting to hit the submit button until you have looked at the word to make sure you don’t have typo though.

We are not convinced that ANY of the monetization options we have come up with will make us much money, the goal is just for it to make enough to cover the server costs and the work we have put into it so far, plus being able to keep it updated and functional on the store for years.

Our previous version of this game Capitals is a game that I personally like and play a lot still (along with a group of friends), but it literally makes 0 money and actually costs us money to keep alive. The goal is for this game to be self sustaining somehow, whether it’s through people buying jokers, or forcing everyone to view an ad after every turn, or turning the game into candy crush with pay to win power ups.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Not sure if anyone has used hints against the AI (they are costly), but there is always the option of letting people use them against human opponents and getting rid of the mulligans?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

eeenmachine posted:

Not sure if anyone has used hints against the AI (they are costly), but there is always the option of letting people use them against human opponents and getting rid of the mulligans?

Would hints tell that the word I'm playing that is clearly a word isn't a valid word and gently caress you give us money?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Len posted:

Would hints tell that the word I'm playing that is clearly a word isn't a valid word and gently caress you give us money?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Len posted:

The hints currently in the game just give you an optimal play.

What would be the monetization in the game if you could choose? If there is a better way we'd definitely consider it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
How do I join a group?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

eeenmachine posted:

The hints currently in the game just give you an optimal play.

What would be the monetization in the game if you could choose? If there is a better way we'd definitely consider it.

Not making me skip a turn or pay for transposed letters. Maybe just like banner ads? I don't know I'm not an idea man but I uninstalled once I ran out of jokers.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

monkeytennis posted:

How do I join a group?

When you start a new game tap the group game button and type “SA” in the Text field

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Len posted:

Not making me skip a turn or pay for transposed letters. Maybe just like banner ads? I don't know I'm not an idea man but I uninstalled once I ran out of jokers.

To make any amount of money I think the banners would need to be on the game board which we don't have any room for.

Would probably have to use full screen interstitials that pop up after playing a turn which seems pretty crappy.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If "oval office" is not in your dictionary, this game will never take off in the Australian app stores.

EDIT: However, "NARD" is. Which is good. Since Wolfman's got 'em.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eeenmachine posted:

i don't know anything about making money off of apps so i don't know how to change it. i just know that i, even as someone who doesn't have dyslexia or trouble with fine motor control like i mentioned before, really didn't like the way the game is set up right now. i understand the logic for why a person might design the system this way, but it's really unfun and frustrating to encounter and interact with, as a user. it's not fun to play a game where one can be punished for one or all of the following reasons:
-player doesn't have the entire scrabble dictionary memorized
-player doesn't carry a scrabble dictionary with them at all times
-player is tired and mistyped a word
-player is bad at spelling
-player transposed two letters by accident and didn't catch the error
-player tried to edit their letter selections to make a different word and didn't do it right
-player has medical condition that makes them more likely to make mistakes
-player is bad at computers and doesn't understand the UI logic of the game
-player has crappy or broken phone that lags/has weird touchscreen/etc

i never got to the point where i ran out of jokers but i would be really ticked off if i was, for example, trying to unwind with a nice game of Words Royale at the end of my day and lost the game because i was tired and tapped a bit wrong. i would instantly uninstall the game if something like that happened

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i don't know anything about making money off of apps so i don't know how to change it. i just know that i, even as someone who doesn't have dyslexia or trouble with fine motor control like i mentioned before, really didn't like the way the game is set up right now. i understand the logic for why a person might design the system this way, but it's really unfun and frustrating to encounter and interact with, as a user. it's not fun to play a game where one can be punished for one or all of the following reasons:
-player doesn't have the entire scrabble dictionary memorized
-player doesn't carry a scrabble dictionary with them at all times
-player is tired and mistyped a word
-player is bad at spelling
-player transposed two letters by accident and didn't catch the error
-player tried to edit their letter selections to make a different word and didn't do it right
-player has medical condition that makes them more likely to make mistakes
-player is bad at computers and doesn't understand the UI logic of the game
-player has crappy or broken phone that lags/has weird touchscreen/etc

i never got to the point where i ran out of jokers but i would be really ticked off if i was, for example, trying to unwind with a nice game of Words Royale at the end of my day and lost the game because i was tired and tapped a bit wrong. i would instantly uninstall the game if something like that happened

Yeah, I get where you're coming from.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This is fine

As for bugs, names with multiple words seem to mess up the "They played..." line on the game list

And I don't know how to replicate it, but randomly when I'm entering a word, the whole word will just delete itself.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 9, 2018

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

raditts posted:

And I don't know how to replicate it, but randomly when I'm entering a word, the whole word will just delete itself.
I've noticed that as well, possibly some kind of game refresh resetting it?

Also would be nice if you could leave games while they're still "Waiting" and get your money back, as I lost a bunch to nonsense testing.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

SupSuper posted:

I've noticed that as well, possibly some kind of game refresh resetting it?

Also would be nice if you could leave games while they're still "Waiting" and get your money back, as I lost a bunch to nonsense testing.

Have you guys noticed if it was against a human or AI opponent when your word gets cleared?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
New type of crash, tried to start a group game. Had three others up at the time, all vs #SA members.

Awful app crashed immediately afterward, so I’m not above blaming my phone for this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

eeenmachine posted:

Have you guys noticed if it was against a human or AI opponent when your word gets cleared?

Might have been both? Definitely on AI.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
I wonder if Captain Cool is going to win this round of #SA, it’s a real nail-biter!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

marshmonkey posted:

I wonder if Captain Cool is going to win this round of #SA, it’s a real nail-biter!

Captain Cool Destroyer of Words

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Eeen you’re off my Xmas card list :flip:

I only have 25 coins left so I can’t play at all until tomorrow I guess.

It would be good to be able to scroll up and down the leaderboard so I can see who is top and what score we need to win I think.

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 7, 2018

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

monkeytennis posted:

Eeen you’re off my Xmas card list :flip:

I only have 25 coins left so I can’t play at all until tomorrow I guess.

It would be good to be able to scroll up and down the leaderboard so I can see who is top and what score we need to win I think.

Hmm, you just made realize that giving out jokers on the weekend gifts means someone could be stranded without coins all weekend... Sorry!

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

SupSuper posted:

King bet takes up two lines.
I had no idea that pane scrolled. On an iphone it cuts off perfectly below Wizard.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Video ad for a couple of jokers maybe? Cheapskates would just get a scrabble dictionary app I guess, and then you’re back to annoying people for typos.

marshmonkey posted:

I beat a king somehow

Why is single player ‘worth’ so much more than multiplayer?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Cool posted:

I had no idea that pane scrolled. On an iphone it cuts off perfectly below Wizard.

Video ad for a couple of jokers maybe? Cheapskates would just get a scrabble dictionary app I guess, and then you’re back to annoying people for typos.

I beat a king somehow

Why is single player ‘worth’ so much more than multiplayer?

The idea was that it’s possible to cheat in conjunction with other people (throwing games) but impossible via single player.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Never leave a path to your crown or else you get Captain Cool-ed.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Is Drynn Captain Cool? Too many people are picking bald one eyed avatars.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Re: Jokers, I think having them against the AI is kinda unfair since they will obviously never make a mistake unlike us lowly fleshbags.

eeenmachine posted:

Hmm, you just made realize that giving out jokers on the weekend gifts means someone could be stranded without coins all weekend... Sorry!
:(

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I see a greyed out options menu in settings. Any chance of having a "mute sound effects" toggle in there eventually?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

bunky posted:

I see a greyed out options menu in settings. Any chance of having a "mute sound effects" toggle in there eventually?

Yep, that’s on the list

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

eeenmachine posted:

Yep it appears I am limited to playing games that others start with me. :negative:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

monkeytennis posted:

Yep it appears I am limited to playing games that others start with me. :negative:
Same, friend code is 10MJ if anyone wants to match me.

eeenmachine posted:

Both, definitely against an AI opponent at least.

Another bug I noticed, when you join a game from a notification, the Open Games list will only show that game until you refresh it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
thankyou for your sacrifice Eeen :v:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Match 2774 is stalled without any moves. The game crashed after I created it. When I started up again, the match already had an opponent, and it appeared in the middle of my games list.

Digital Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
As others have pointed out the dictionary being used is a bit frustrating. Perfectly good words are missing and the penalty is harsh. I mean “LAN”? How is that not a word?

Was a bit confusing when trying to tie an e-mail to my login. The confirmation e-mail used the term “Cloud sync request”, which wasn’t the action I thought I was doing. Suggest using consistent terms within interactions.

I’m seeing lots of crash to desktops, especially when attempting to interact with the server over a dodgy internet connection. Seems like some uncaught exceptions, but hard to recreate. During beta would it be possible to have a profile setting that would optionally allow for a stack dump during a CTD?

Would be really nice to have a way to scroll back through the list of words played during a game to review after the game ends.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Digital Apprentice posted:

As others have pointed out the dictionary being used is a bit frustrating. Perfectly good words are missing and the penalty is harsh. I mean “LAN”? How is that not a word?

Was a bit confusing when trying to tie an e-mail to my login. The confirmation e-mail used the term “Cloud sync request”, which wasn’t the action I thought I was doing. Suggest using consistent terms within interactions.

I’m seeing lots of crash to desktops, especially when attempting to interact with the server over a dodgy internet connection. Seems like some uncaught exceptions, but hard to recreate. During beta would it be possible to have a profile setting that would optionally allow for a stack dump during a CTD?

Would be really nice to have a way to scroll back through the list of words played during a game to review after the game ends.

LAN is an acronym though, not a word.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Digital Apprentice posted:

LAN isn’t a word. It just isn’t. Any more than NASA is a word or USB. Using the scrabble dictionary is par for the course in word games, really. Grumble about other things, sure, but the dictionary is fine. I’ve heard that NIMBLEBIT have taken the dictionary into their own hands and removed some rude words though, and that’s less ok, because the usual dictionaries are fine with rude words.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Darkhorse! :arghfist:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

You almost got me, but I saw a tiny opening at the last second and took it :v:

Meanwhile I lost two other games :negative:

Edit:

New glitch - tapping to hurry up the replay of a move that ends the game brought up the losing screen twice. Both cleared after a few moments, but I doubt this is intended behavior.

Gonna see if I can recreate it.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

You almost got me, but I saw a tiny opening at the last second and took it :v:

Meanwhile I lost two other games :negative:

There’s should be in game chat so I can insult you when you win :v:

• Locked thread