Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
bitcoin is going to the moon

one place it isn't going, tho, is brazil. don't even mention it; might get the whole thread gassed instead of, say, having one post removed

divabot status: still selling a dope book

zaurg status: gently caress that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
they all say once you make money in crypto, you buy a lambo

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
get rich with One Weird Trick, bankers hate it!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Blockchain data indicates that the attacker successfully reversed transactions as far back as 22 blocks, leading developers to advise raising confirmation requirements to 50 blocks.

currency of the future, you just have to wait eight hours or so before your purchase goes through

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

see that little moron with the hammer that he's lickin'?
yeah buddy, that's his own hair
that little moron's got his own white paper
that little moron, he's a thousandaire

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

jesus christ, i cringed so hard i think i sprained something

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BMan posted:

Crossposting this masterpiece from the Bad With Money thread

oh, well that's different then

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
bitcoins are

BULLSHIT

yeah, i said it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i think the best thing about cryptocurrencies is how

everyone knows they're bullshit, everyone knows it's a scam, but they all think that they're the one who's gonna cash out, because of all the skeezy fuckers trying exactly the same thing they are, they're the smartest fucker involved

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I've devoted a fair portion of my life over the last five years think about Bitcoin

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
ross ulbricht paid to have people murdered, and in some cases tortured and murdered. when asked what to do with any roommates, wives, or children that might happen to be present, he said that it was better to leave no witnesses. when presented with evidence (faked, thankfully) that these murders had occurred, he expressed not one whit of remorse, and kept making smug little entries in mycrimes.txt, convinced that his actions were making the world a better place

i agree wholeheartedly that he should not be serving life in prison, but only because i think he ought to get the loving needle

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
did i say the needle? i meant the chair

gently caress ross ulbricht, murderous psychopathic piece of poo poo

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

CoolCab posted:

the expectation that "you agree the drug war is an insanely unethical system designed to maximize free labor and quasi-designed to funnel enormous profits into the pockets of the least ethical gangster capitalists available" means we should def all support being nice to those predators because "something something unjust laws" is breaking my brain

i... what? maybe i've been awake too long but i'm having some real trouble parsing this

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

FAUXTON posted:

"The drug war may be hosed up but letting rossy live is even more hosed up"

well that makes sense, thank you

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
hey fauxton, does the "i can't talk about this" thing ever expire? like, is there a statute of limitations, after which you can tell us awesome stories about ruining bitcoiners lives? or do you have to be quiet about it all forever?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

fishmech posted:

the murders were stuff his followers did while he was constantly high as gently caress on the desert compound where everyone else was high as gently caress and just doing random poo poo he'd say.

the ultimate danger of him was some idiot fans would probably go find him if he got out and build themselves up to doing serious crimes when he said he wanted some money or whatever. so it was real easy for him to not have remorse over stuff he basically didnt consider his responsibility except when he wanted to be 2 edgy 4 u at people

that dude was pretty obviously insane and i really couldn't see him as the mastermind of anything

i always thought they should have put him in a little shack in the desert instead of a prison cell. have some signs around, like "do not feed the bears" except it's "do not trip with charlie"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Schadenboner posted:

Yo dog frog, we heard you liked frog suits so...

And what's the thing with eating his own dick if ButtCoin doesn't hit a target by 2020 or something?

in july 2017, he said that bitcoin would be above $500k within three years, and

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/887024683379544065

iirc, he's already backed out of this by saying that he meant the total value of all bitcoins, everywhere, and not the price of one of them

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
apparently bath salts are a hell of a drug

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
the singularity AI tortures a simulation of you by making it spend eternity in various absurd situations. also your simulation has a best friend who is a cow

rocko's modern basilisk

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

divabot posted:

Bitcoin dealer indicted for blatant money laundering; also huge Bitfinex customer, which I'm sure Bitfinex were shocked, shocked to hear

quote:

Burrell agreed with others to smuggle over $1 million in U.S. dollars into the United States from Mexico, in amounts slightly less than $10,000, in order to avoid the currency reporting requirements.

welp, looks like a series of $9999 transactions doesn't actually fool anyone. maybe try $9995 next time

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i like how that's the best picture they could find of mcafee, and he looks like a homeless dude who's spent a week dead in a dumpster

it's the kind of face that has "good life decisions" written all over it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

:cripes:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
just casually lounging around during continental breakfast at the days inn

"you wouldn't believe how my TULIPS are doing"

"oh really? did you make a lot of MONEY?"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
all around the sheraton's lobby, wealthy ears perk up: "did someone say money?"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
wow, good thing those nice tether folks found another fifty million dollars in the couch cushions and decided to pump it all into bitcoin. people's investments might be in trouble otherwise

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
a type 1 currency is one that is capable of using all of the energy available on its planet

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

i'll just leave a bad score on yelp after i die of botulism

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
libertarians are some of the dumbest fuckers out there, i swear. like yeah, a lot of our systems are flawed, but they propose to replace them with nothing at all. it's throwing out the baby, the bathwater, and gently caress it, the bathtub too

and i'm a statist shill because i don't think this is a good idea

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

so there's either an apocalyptic battle to the death or there's consent. libertarians, ladies and gentlemen

this tweet has been fuckin' with me all night. i keep coming up with counterexamples and i keep grossing myself out

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Ghostlight posted:

it's because their brain looks at laws designed to limit bad actors on a societal scale and sees flaws on an individual scale that it then concludes are the reason there are any bad actors at all. they think they've found the one loophole that will trick people into always being good and it's to get rid of any possible loopholes.

the assumption that in the absence of laws, everyone will act rationally, is what gets me. especially since these people are themselves examples of how people will abuse that, given the chance

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jonny Nox posted:

Try this: lol John McAfee is a liar and drug-addled idiot.

that helps, ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

CampingCarl posted:

only intelligent captains of industry like themselves would take advantage of it. they think that for the vast majority of other people the rational action is to bow down to superior bitcoiner decision making. no libertarian ever thinks they could ever be the one getting the short straw of the free market.

in short, they're dumb af

• Locked thread