Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Having read so much web 1.0 internet snobbery pro-hipsterisms, I can't get my head past referring to the Smashing Pumpkins guy as "Billy Shitvoice." Basically he's the male Alanis Morisette. Anyway, I don't really believe that but :edgyultra2002opinion:
MCATIS was the one of the first albums I ever bought with my own money though and I listened to it almost every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can't believe I'm excited about a Smash Pumpkins album in 2020.

But ... I guess my first favourite song of theirs was ... Eye.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This feels like territory that was better executed (and produced) with TheFutureEmbrace.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"Welcome to Nowhere Fast: there are some things you lived without, and now you've died from disinterestary. You were 33.

Farewell and Goodnight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Second countdown just hit zero, it seems literally nothing has happened.

edit: okay now they're posting this:

Guess the last countdown is for the new album.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 18, 2020

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
"Smashing Aumakins ?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Double album, coming November 27th.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Cheesus posted:

"Smashing Aumakins ?"

They're embracing the Metal Band Logo where you can't possibly tell it's supposed to be words.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the next album was the next SAOSB album, with an equally dopey subtitle.

Now it's just Cyr?

I still can't help but giggle at that title since I'm learning Russian and Cyr sounds a lot like сыр to me. Very cheesy.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 18, 2020

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
As far as I'm concerned, these are all part of Teargarden by Kaleidyscope

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

As far as I'm concerned, these are all part of Teargarden by Kaleidyscope

Hahaha, I feel the same. Wasn't Oceania a part of that? The album in the album?

C'mon Billy, just wait a long time before announcing final plans.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

C'mon Billy, just wait a long time before announcing final plans.

Yeah, this. Don't announce plans that haven't finished baking yet, you're gonna change your mind. Anyway just in case anyone didn't find it confusing enough about whether this is SAOSB2, they're using basically the same art as they did for the last record.

edit lol also apparently there's a cartoon for this album too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW7qkjCiKXo

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

How has Billy Corgan avoided writing a song called "Minerva" for 30 years?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, this. Don't announce plans that haven't finished baking yet, you're gonna change your mind. Anyway just in case anyone didn't find it confusing enough about whether this is SAOSB2, they're using basically the same art as they did for the last record.

edit lol also apparently there's a cartoon for this album too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW7qkjCiKXo

Didn't Billy want to turn Machina into some long elaborate cartoon too about how ROCK IS DEAD and THE SMASHING PUMPKINS and BILLY'S SECOND? THIRD? ALTER-EGO was gonna save it?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, there was going to be an anime that had anime versions of the band members as superheroes or something. The completed episodes leaked a while back, it's awful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always pictured an alternate video for The Everlasting Gaze that's animated like Pearl Jam's Do The Evolution. The band and other ghouls would be facing off in some hyper violent futuristic motorbike race, poo poo's blowing up, just craziness.

I guess the band wrecking a parking garage was ok, too.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Framboise posted:

Didn't Billy want to turn Machina into some long elaborate cartoon too about how ROCK IS DEAD and THE SMASHING PUMPKINS and BILLY'S SECOND? THIRD? ALTER-EGO was gonna save it?

As someone who was extremely active on the official boards when that album came out, people were going full beautiful mind on the SECRET MESSAGES in Machina. It was a whole loving thing.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I finally got around to listening to the two newest songs, all I have to say holy poo poo he is finally singing like his old self again. It sounds like these could have came out around the early 2000s, like Zwan era (just talking about the style of singing, not the music or production).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CherryCola posted:

As someone who was extremely active on the official boards when that album came out, people were going full beautiful mind on the SECRET MESSAGES in Machina. It was a whole loving thing.

There was a contest! Billy drew a chart to explain the album:

I just remember an image going around at the time that was a crude drawing of Billy beating a dead horse labeled in the same style.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CherryCola posted:

I remember being on the Netphoria boards at the same and we were all pointing and laughing at the shenanigans over at the official board.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

https://www.hufworldwide.com/smashing-pumpkins-lookbook

Smashing Pumpkins x HUF Worldwide streetwear collection drops on Thursday. Seems like a weird collab but whatever, that Gish sweatshirt looks cool as gently caress.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I KINDA want that Mellon Collie shirt. The Gish sweater is nice too.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it's loving weird to see the 90s being fetishized the same way the 70s was back in the 90s.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
All I want is a new ZERO shirt that fits me

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
New song out now, and the first episode of the animated series comes out at noon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yos6keKvQ

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Every time one of these songs comes out, I go through the same process...

1. Okay this isn't bad
2. Oh right but it's the Smashing Pumpkins and knowing that makes me hate it
3. Why the gently caress are these background vocals in every song they sound terrible
4. *rage*

I need to go listen to Siamese Dream

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It doesn't really bother me that it's a new sound, they didn't recycle the same sound between any two albums during the 90s so I don't know why they should start now. That said I think at least these three singles sound more consistent than anything from SAOSBv1:NP.NF.NS. did. It all sounds kinda New Order-y but it's not like that's a totally alien sound for the band either. I kind of agree about the backing vocals, I think they're mostly fine but I wonder if it's going to be literally every track on this album. First impressions on this song, it's fine but it's kind of slipped over me and nothing stuck. It could probably use more contrast to make the chorus jump out a little more.

edit: there's also supposed to be another song to stream, but the website apparently hasn't updated to actually have the song outside of links to buy it. It should hypothetically be here:
http://smarturl.it/SPConfessions

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 25, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Billy, did you somehow forget how to shred between the show I saw you at in 2018 and now or something? 3 guitars and a superb drummer and none of them are being used.

The music's aight. I'm not gonna say "It's not the Pumpkins" because stuff like this isn't unheard of for Billy (it's very Future Embrace-y).

It's just not that interesting though. It may need to grow on me but it feels like there's no passion or energy behind it outside of Cyr itself, which is the best of 4 so far. Cyr's pretty good. Solid synth-pop, reminds me of Depeche Mode. The music video is goofy as gently caress and my favorite part is any part with James looking absolutely loving bored out of his goddamn mind.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 25, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I find with the new songs (and this is, arguably, everything since the Machina era), you just gotta play it over and over while doing stuff, or while out driving, walking, whatever, and it'll grow on you.

I wasn't a huge fan of Oceania when it came out, but after playing it over and over back in 2012, it now reminds me of my old (awesome) job, when I met my wife... I legitimately love most of the songs on there.

Was never a big fan of The Celestials or the title track, but stuff like Pinwheels, Panopticon, were great.

Edit: this COULD be said of most music, but I feel that recent Pumpkins stuff really does hold up if you keep it going. Like even if you're still kind of forcing it on yourself, it's actually way easier to take than other stuff. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 25, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I get you, yeah. Glissandra is probably one of my favorite neo-Pumpkins songs.

And like, I'm not opposed to bands evolving and stuff. Hell, Radiohead's my favorite band and they haven't really ever done the same thing twice either. It's just that I don't feel like the current direction SP's going is playing to their strengths in the best way. I don't dislike it, but it definitely doesn't resonate with me as much as earlier albums do-- and I say that as someone who didn't really listen to them much in the 90s when I was a kid-- I knew the "Rat in a Cage" song and the "God is empty" song. :v: So there's no nostalgia goggles on me-- I didn't really get into them until around 2016. The early stuff just has so much more passion and energy behind it and a lot of that was because they were playing to their strengths-- Billy's dynamic whisper-to-snarl-to-growling singing, his raw, heartfelt lyrics, creative guitar riffs, the fuzzy effect pedals, the "wall of sound", and so on. Now the singing is, while technically improved, is flattened emotionally, the lyrics somehow manage to be pretentious while still feeling somewhat cookie-cutter, and the core of the music itself doesn't have much life to it.

That's not to say any of it is BAD. It's not bad, it's still the Pumpkins and it's still very listenable, but I totally understand why it's shut some old fans off too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Framboise posted:

I get you, yeah. Glissandra is probably one of my favorite neo-Pumpkins songs.

And like, I'm not opposed to bands evolving and stuff. Hell, Radiohead's my favorite band and they haven't really ever done the same thing twice either. It's just that I don't feel like the current direction SP's going is playing to their strengths in the best way. I don't dislike it, but it definitely doesn't resonate with me as much as earlier albums do-- and I say that as someone who didn't really listen to them much in the 90s when I was a kid-- I knew the "Rat in a Cage" song and the "God is empty" song. :v: So there's no nostalgia goggles on me-- I didn't really get into them until around 2016. The early stuff just has so much more passion and energy behind it and a lot of that was because they were playing to their strengths-- Billy's dynamic whisper-to-snarl-to-growling singing, his raw, heartfelt lyrics, creative guitar riffs, the fuzzy effect pedals, the "wall of sound", and so on. Now the singing is, while technically improved, is flattened emotionally, the lyrics somehow manage to be pretentious while still feeling somewhat cookie-cutter, and the core of the music itself doesn't have much life to it.

That's not to say any of it is BAD. It's not bad, it's still the Pumpkins and it's still very listenable, but I totally understand why it's shut some old fans off too.

I totally get this; yes, obviously the band evolves and changes, sure.

But man, Billy is REALLY good at writing both angry and sad songs. Feels like most of what they do lately doesn't have either of those emotions.

I'm actually trying to think of the last 'angry' song and it was.... uhhh... United States?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well he's kinda happy now, solid relationship, two kids, successful tea shop. The man's got it all!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I find with the new songs (and this is, arguably, everything since the Machina era), you just gotta play it over and over while doing stuff, or while out driving, walking, whatever, and it'll grow on you.

I wasn't a huge fan of Oceania when it came out, but after playing it over and over back in 2012, it now reminds me of my old (awesome) job, when I met my wife... I legitimately love most of the songs on there.

Was never a big fan of The Celestials or the title track, but stuff like Pinwheels, Panopticon, were great.

Edit: this COULD be said of most music, but I feel that recent Pumpkins stuff really does hold up if you keep it going. Like even if you're still kind of forcing it on yourself, it's actually way easier to take than other stuff. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Have you considered moving on and listening to good music instead?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Have you considered moving on and listening to good music instead?

I actually can't! No, I'm serious; with a few exceptions, I just can't make any sort of connection with new music, mainly by new (to me) artists. I give more of a pass to new music from people I already liked, but even that's tough.

I have no idea why this is, and I wish it wasn't the case.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

The last time I heard a Billy Corgan song that made me go "He's still got it" was Wildflower.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I actually can't! No, I'm serious; with a few exceptions, I just can't make any sort of connection with new music, mainly by new (to me) artists. I give more of a pass to new music from people I already liked, but even that's tough.

I have no idea why this is, and I wish it wasn't the case.

There's tons of good new stuff out there, but it doesn't even have to be new. Have you gone through any early SP influences?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's tons of good new stuff out there, but it doesn't even have to be new. Have you gone through any early SP influences?

A few times, but it just doesn't work. It's not the music, it's definitely me. I'm 37 now, and new-to-me music just tends not to speak to me whatsoever now. :smith:

EDIT: https://www.businessinsider.com/why-we-stop-discovering-new-music-around-age-30-2018-6

That's me.

I should clarify that it's not 100% like that all the time, just mostly. For example, I'm not a fan of RHCP. However, a few years ago, I heard 'Breaking the Girl' for the first time, and holy poo poo, I was immediately in love. Maybe I just need wistful-sounding songs, whereas before, anything went.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 26, 2020

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

A few times, but it just doesn't work. It's not the music, it's definitely me. I'm 37 now, and new-to-me music just tends not to speak to me whatsoever now. :smith:

EDIT: https://www.businessinsider.com/why-we-stop-discovering-new-music-around-age-30-2018-6

That's me.

I should clarify that it's not 100% like that all the time, just mostly. For example, I'm not a fan of RHCP. However, a few years ago, I heard 'Breaking the Girl' for the first time, and holy poo poo, I was immediately in love. Maybe I just need wistful-sounding songs, whereas before, anything went.

You're putting in the time and energy to grind yourself into enjoying new SP. You can do that with anything, if not easier since the music will actually be good. If you want SP adjacent recommendations I'm happy to give you some.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

"Confessions Of A Dopamine Addict" has so far been the best song I've heard out of the singles they've released. I like the production, but I was a fan of TheFutureEmbrace.

I always take any singles put out ahead of the album with a grain of salt, they're usually the worst choices by the record company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's also worth noting that this is a double album, and so far the 4 songs that have come out are all from the first half of the first disc. For all we know disc 2 could be tape-deck acoustic songs like Soothe or they could all sound like the original Machina2 version of Heavy Metal Machine or something.