Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's definitely a bus on Soothe.

edit I always heard it during the last bit, but I'm listening to the remastered version now and I don't hear it. Maybe it was just a weird mastering error on the original pressings that pushed the background noise too high at one point?

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's definitely a bus on Soothe.

Then he must've mentioned it for a different song. All I know is that he got the song wrong.

Edit: now I'm completely doubting myself, so Welp :shobon: maybe I'm completely wrong.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 3, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I can't imagine any other song where you'd hear a bus, everything else would have been in a recording studio and with a full band so it's not like you're going to hear a bus drive by like you would on his bedroom tapedeck demo.

edit: here's an old upload from before the remaster, you can hear it around 2:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FR0FOQxiH8

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I can't imagine any other song where you'd hear a bus, everything else would have been in a recording studio and with a full band so it's not like you're going to hear a bus drive by like you would on his bedroom tapedeck demo.

edit: here's an old upload from before the remaster, you can hear it around 2:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FR0FOQxiH8

Well drat, I guess I'm just :corsair:

Edit: ok, is there a song where you can hear a siren or something? I was just listening to that, thinking 'but where's the siren?', for about half a second, before realizing 'uhhh... busses don't have sirens, idiot.' I think there was a song, demo or whatever, where you could hear something like that in the background, and I now know that I was probably mis-attributing his note about Soothe to that track.

Spaced, maybe? Starla? I'll have to relisten sometime.

Edit: yesss! 5m 25s into Starla, there's a police siren. No idea how I got that confused with the bus, but that's what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnFeCex032g

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 3, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

God drat now that I've discovered it I really hope that Soot & Stars makes it onto this Machina issue, whenever it is. I saw Billy had posted stuff about it on his Instagram not long ago but the wait has been so long when they got through the other album reissues fairly quickly. Am I going crazy or did he say something somewhere about not just making the original version of the album, but that it may actually be 3 discs rather than the original double album envisioned? There's clearly a tremendous amount of great songs to compile and put together and I'm sure that whatever form the final release takes will still be missing some stuff he recorded during the sessions that we might never know of. I just hope that he doesn't try to re-record vocals or mess with that noise/drone-y version of Satur9 too much aside from getting it mixed and produced to be less quiet when it feels like it should be a real booming wall-of-sound type of song. It sounds like there's some subtle effects on Billy's voice at certain points as well, no idea what it is but it works so well with that version of the song.

Come on 2021, we need this :negative:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Yeah from everything I've read this is gonna be a complete re-working from the multitracks. Remixed, remastered, new track list.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://thehardtimes.net/music/engineer-removes-vocal-track-so-she-can-properly-enjoy-smashing-pumpkins-song/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Whoa whoa whoa, don't pull Butch Vig into this; that man worked some goddamn magic.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Butch Vig recognized that Billy's voice is genuinely good, it's just that it needs to be a part of the background as an instrument and not in the foreground as a primary focus. Something Billy himself does not seem to get.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Framboise posted:

Butch Vig recognized that Billy's voice is genuinely good, it's just that it needs to be a part of the background as an instrument and not in the foreground as a primary focus. Something Billy himself does not seem to get.

Well, to their credit, Flood and Alan Moulder also understood that. But yes, I agree.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I still maintain that post-reunion Billy simply does not sing, he just talks.

Pre-breakup, his vocals were the best they have ever been and he actually had a really pleasant singing voice on Machina while still retaining the versatility and harshness for the heavier stuff as well. His voice had so much character and I think it essentially peaked at that point.

I know that Zwan came afterwards and of course the solo thing but I think there was a period of a few years or so where he wasn't really doing anything and might have forgotten what he can do with a mic. It could also just be age as well, some live performances have shown he can't hit those clear higher notes that he could before, either from singing or screaming.

I watched a live performance on YouTube where Howard Stern had the band in the studio playing Bullet with Butterfly Wings and some vocals were skipped entirely by Billy. Stern was fascinated by Billy and James' guitar parts having a subtle difference and complimenting each other well and when asking James he just said he didn't know why what he was playing differed. It was actually interesting hearing the main riffs broken down and separated by both and then played together because I had no idea.

Stern ended by saying James is a pretty chill guy and doesn't get why he and Billy couldn't get along for so many years and Jimmy tries to hold back laughter in the background :haw:

Speaking of, revisiting some older SP material recently leaves me wondering how the grunge movement ended with Dave Grohl being hailed as such an amazing drummer (I mean he's great, but he ain't on Jimmy's level at all imo) but nobody ever really talks about Jimmy who is just so utterly phenomenal. Maybe it was the MCIS drugs tragedy but the guy really should be up there as one of the best in the business. Dave's more entertaining to watch when he gets into it but I can't even keep up with what Jimmy is doing in some songs because of the sheer speed and versatility, and watching him play he's just sat there like it's another day in the office :stare:

Edit: Also curious why Jimmy hasn't played with other bands like Dave has, either. He's probably the only drummer who could actually play the drums for NIN's Perfect Drug live and he would probably work magic with some guest spots on QOTSA albums. Maybe he's just very quiet and reserved, happy doing Pumpkins stuff and staying out the spotlight? Would be fascinated to know if bands which have changing lineups have ever contacted him, though. I'd have thought Reznor and Homme in particular would be dying to have him play with them.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 6, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I am sure Jimmy has very personal reasons why he doesn't work with other bands.

Also, there are a bunch of amazing drummers that are relatively unknown. Drummers typically don't get as much credit as other band members, except by fellow musicians or critics. Also Grohl was never popular as the Nirvana drummer, he only got fame as the frontman of Foo Fighters afterward. Then people were like, oh yeah, he is an amazing drummer too. Dave has a very public facing, extroverted personality it seems like. I don't think I have ever heard Jimmy speak more than a few words.

And then you have people like Josh Freese who has played for every band on the planet.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 6, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoG0P0C3geQ

This is required viewing for anyone who either loves Jimmy, or who might not realize how great he is. I'm telling y'all, his full on mix of jazz with rock drumming is beautiful and amazing.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

polyester concept posted:

Also Grohl was never popular as the Nirvana drummer, he only got fame as the frontman of Foo Fighters afterward. Then people were like, oh yeah, he is an amazing drummer too.

That's interesting because although Nirvana were sort of before my time (I was too young when Kurt took his life and didn't really get into music until a few years later) I always thought Dave's drumming was very distinctive and songs like Scentless Apprentice or his drumming on QOTSA's Song for the Dead stand out as "Yup, that's Dave" before the songs even really start, just because of his particular style being what it is. I don't know if there was any truth to it but I could swear I read somewhere that prior to his death Kurt was seriously contemplating firing Dave as Nirvana's drummer and I just cannot imagine anybody being a better fit for that style and sound at all. At the same time Kurt's last interview (I think?) had him saying he was interested in going in a completely different direction after In Utero and maybe exploring a new wave style but who knows if he was serious or joking, but he seemed very honest and candid with everything he talked about in the interview (his kid, a book he loved, his fascination with medical stuff etc.) so maybe he really was planning to ditch Dave and go somewhere new?

Also thanks for that video Rupert, that was really cool to watch and I envy the people there. I wonder if it was short with just those two songs and a little talking or he was there for an hour or two?

Amusingly, a recommended video that pops up after watching that is Butch Vig talking about all the drummers he's worked with and the comment section is full of Chamberlin lovers. Hearing him speak in the Chicago video makes him come across as a really chill and humble guy so it's nice seeing so many people appreciate his talent.

Edit:

Also, there are a bunch of amazing drummers that are relatively unknown.

Forgot this but you just reminded me of this which is absolutely freakin' adorable. Apparently Dave Grohl actually contacted her and they've played together, and Lenny Kravitz bought her a brand new kit and has jammed with her online? If she's this good at only ten years old then :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFk9pvsbPL4

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 7, 2021

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

SUNKOS posted:

I watched a live performance on YouTube where Howard Stern had the band in the studio playing Bullet with Butterfly Wings and some vocals were skipped entirely by Billy. Stern was fascinated by Billy and James' guitar parts having a subtle difference and complimenting each other well and when asking James he just said he didn't know why what he was playing differed. It was actually interesting hearing the main riffs broken down and separated by both and then played together because I had no idea.

Stern ended by saying James is a pretty chill guy and doesn't get why he and Billy couldn't get along for so many years and Jimmy tries to hold back laughter in the background :haw:

For anyone curious about this, the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8r7E6DDofU - talking starts around 5:15

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I am sure Jimmy has very personal reasons why he doesn't work with other bands.

Also, there are a bunch of amazing drummers that are relatively unknown. Drummers typically don't get as much credit as other band members, except by fellow musicians or critics. Also Grohl was never popular as the Nirvana drummer, he only got fame as the frontman of Foo Fighters afterward. Then people were like, oh yeah, he is an amazing drummer too. Dave has a very public facing, extroverted personality it seems like. I don't think I have ever heard Jimmy speak more than a few words.

And then you have people like Josh Freese who has played for every band on the planet.

Probably helped the buzz that Dave did the drums himself for the first two FF albums.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I'm pumped for the Machina remix but man the mix on "Wound" is just perfect

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Apparently Billy has a signature amp from some rando company I've never heard of, for way too much money (limited of course!).

It sounds kind of naff to be honest.

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/carstens-amplification-grace-amplifier/

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

He has a signature guitar as well, made by Reverend. I haven't heard it and I think it looks hideous but the same company does make some fantastic high-quality guitars. I've got a wonderful sounding Warhawk RT and Reeves Gabrels has a signature guitar with them too which has a sustain pickup which is pretty clever along with the toggle for switching octaves. Radiohead's Ed O'Brien has a similar signature guitar with a sustain pickup made by Fender but the Reeves Gabrels one is particularly nice, in my opinion.

Edit: On the topic of signature guitars and such, anyone who's a fan of Warren Ellis (Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Grinderman, Dirty Three) should check out his signature stuff with Eastwood guitars, particularly that tenor baritone :stare: There's a Dutch guy that recreated the pedal he uses with his violin and tenor guitars etc. which sounds ferocious as well. Definitely worth checking out for anyone who happens to like his output.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 8, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

Apparently Billy has a signature amp from some rando company I've never heard of, for way too much money (limited of course!).

It sounds kind of naff to be honest.

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/carstens-amplification-grace-amplifier/

why doesn't he play any loving riffs like that on the new poo poo

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

why doesn't he play any loving riffs like that on the new poo poo

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ah there we go, that's Billy's signature guitar there, the one with scratch plates everywhere.

Also a better question might be why doesn't he put the songs with riffs like that on new albums instead. I linked songs like As Rome Burns and Superchrist earlier and he's obviously writing them but just doesn't want to put them on any records for some reason.

Noise Machine posted:

I'm pumped for the Machina remix but man the mix on "Wound" is just perfect

Agreed. I hope they don't mess with any of that because the wall of sound and production suits the album so well in my opinion. One thing I'm curious about is "Blue Skies Bring Tears" because I like both versions so much. I hope they keep the original as-is and just work on the "version electrique" to be mixed properly since the vocals etc. are all great, it just needs some care and attention in the studio to mix it all properly.

On that note, we've had the rock-y "The End is the Beginning is the End" and the electronic "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning" and it would be nice if they released a third version based on the live performance of the latter which has some amazing lead guitar work. I think there's basically zero chance of it but watching live performances and hearing what the new guitarist brings to the song with his solos makes it sound perfect and really atmospheric and haunting. Wouldn't sound out of place on the Machina reissue, imo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The "new guitarist" has been playing in the band for 14 years now, by the way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The "new guitarist" has been playing in the band for 14 years now, by the way.

Referring to Jeff or James?

It's crazy to me that Jeff's been a Pumpkin longer than D'Arcy was. She was one during the influential times, though.

I miss Melissa Auf Der Maur :smith: :canada:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Jeff, he's been the only consistent member other than Billy since 2007. James has been with the band for a total of like 16 years I think if you cut out the first breakup until he came back.

But yeah I also miss Melissa. I think New Order Jr is great and all and I get that the current role of bassist is "guy who plays bass at live shows only and probably doesn't even get a spotlight, but I think Billy got sick of the idea that he had to have a woman playing bass and has been overcorrecting since.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Billy excels at writing great poo poo and never putting it out. I think it's just to spite people or something? Artistic vision :v:

And his signature Rev looks silly but plays brilliantly and sounds amazing. The pickups are really well balanced and the SLingshot style Revs feel comfy and balanced.

And the surplus of pickguards means if you accidentally strum on the horns it's okay!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead
He has a new Sig from Reverend which looks 800000x better

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I miss Melissa Auf Der Maur :smith: :canada:
Me too.

Her solo stuff is incredible. I think she's currently doing some kind of arts school while raising children.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think I read an interview where she said when the Pumpkins got back together Billy didn't even contact her :(

She didn't seem upset or bitter about it and expressed gratitude for her time in the band and made clear that she really enjoyed it but drat, she really was such an ideal bassist and had a powerful presence.

Also gonna check out Billy's new signature guitar now since I'm curious :haw:

Edit: Oh I get it now, I thought all those scratch plates were just visual but apparently he's had parts of the body hollowed out and those just cover the chambers. That's actually really unique and interesting. I'd love to see what Reverend could come up with if they made a signature model for Jamie Hince from The Kills, he has some great gear that's really hard to find and would probably make something impressive.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 10, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Joe Bogan posted:

He has a new Sig from Reverend which looks 800000x better

Does he? All I can find is the same one with 4 pickguards and the jetstream shape and a terz, with only a bridge pickup and a much shorter scale.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Does he? All I can find is the same one with 4 pickguards and the jetstream shape and a terz, with only a bridge pickup and a much shorter scale.

I'm not sure if this is what Joe Bogan is referring to but I found a picture of what I think may be it;

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cheesus posted:

Me too.

Her solo stuff is incredible. I think she's currently doing some kind of arts school while raising children.

Yeah, seeing her in The Everlasting Gaze video makes me realize that she would have fit in perfectly from the start.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

homewrecker posted:

I'm not sure if this is what Joe Bogan is referring to but I found a picture of what I think may be it;

Oh yeah, that is a thousand times better. I also kind of hated that the middle section behind the bridge was raised, so I'm glad it's flush now. Also the pickup covers that look like the TAFH box.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The Smashing Pumpkins: Oh So Sleepy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cheesus posted:

The Smashing Pumpkins: Oh So Sleepy

Why Are They So Tired.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The sun shines, but they don't.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The new guitarist (Jeff?) is starting to look like John Lennon with that hair. Someone give him some circle shades and :discourse:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Which is funny because Julian Lennon looks like if Jimmy never kicked hard drugs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, I had The Chimera in my head today, and was humming a bit, thinking about how one line was "Nightingales and nazi crimes". I thought to myself, did he really sing that? Is there like a Nuremberg-adjacent reference in there? Because :wtc:

No, it's Nightingales and nursery crimes. So I listened to it again, and wow does it still sound like nazi crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I always heard "in the rear end" in annie-dog when he says "and in the yes"