Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

You blame yourself for wanting more ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
This sub is the greatest sub I've ever known, can't wait until dinner, I might not have that long, I'll get some cheese out, before I eat out!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Consume my sub, devour my meat
It's on sale; a treat!
The deal is on, the price is right
I think I'll eat tonight

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Eat on
motherfucker
Taste this
Meatball sub

Add in
Mozzarella
Better than
Ones from home

I get Slunk in my head almost daily for some reason since hearing it a couple times like 25 years ago. This killed me.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Meatbaaaaall
I have taken my sub
Out to eat, and season thee

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Eat out
Meat's in
Pour and slather on that sauce, cheese it

So good
You'll eat more than you should, this meal

'Cause they know
What's delicious, what tastes bold
So I'm told

Youuu want
Thiiiis meat
C'monnnnn down to Zuzu's toooo eat

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 11, 2022

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

On a roll
Meatballs and cheese
Order whole
Extra sauce please

Should have known
It would be big
Take some home
Don't be a pig, no way

She knows, and she knows, she knows, she knows

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Let me serve the sub to you my looooooooooove

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

squirreltactic posted:

I get Slunk in my head almost daily for some reason since hearing it a couple times like 25 years ago. This killed me.

Same! That's the whole reason I used it :haw:

Meanwhile: "AND IN THE EYES OF THE SANDWICH I SAY CAAAAAAAAAA-RUNCH!"

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Meatballs
Sub rolls
Toasted for the
Zuzu house
Eating
Vegan today

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I need a saaaaaaandwich, saaaaaaaandwich

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
We'll buy you another sub.

*20 minutes of guitar noodling

squirreltactic fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 11, 2022

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Check this cool lithograph I found rolled up in a poster tube in my childhood bedroom at my parents house. I cannot remember how I got it

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

that loving rules and you should get it framed

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I have the same one, except mine is signed by Jimmy, James, and Melissa (but not Billy), and I also don't remember how I got it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

that loving rules and you should get it framed

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Machina absolutely has the best artwork of any Pumpkins release. And does anyone remember the *smell* of the CD booklet? It smelled like wildflowers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Jimmy has an enormous picture by vasily (spelling?) in his living room. I think Billy's said the re-release will have new art by a different artist for some reason.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Billy's said the re-release will have new art by a different artist for some reason.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ I'm guessing. It's a shame.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It is. The only rerelease that had decent art was the adore one, and that was just other photos from the same session and in color. I really hate the gish and siamese dream rerelease covers and I think the mellon collie one really loses something as well (and that was from the original artist!)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Baron von Eevl posted:

It is. The only rerelease that had decent art was the adore one, and that was just other photos from the same session and in color. I really hate the gish and siamese dream rerelease covers and I think the mellon collie one really loses something as well (and that was from the original artist!)

Wasn't Mellon Collie just the vinyl version now appended to all versions?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The 1996 vinyl had the standard art, with a white rectangle in the lower right that had the pressing number (originally it was a run of 5k, this was expanded a few times and apparently there are known numbered copies in the 18000s but we don't know exactly how many were pressed in these runs). In 1998 it was pressed again with the exact same art, but the white box left blank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255341399796

The 2012 remaster all uses new art that I believe was commissioned from the original artist and I personally feel loses a lot of the vibe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think if Billy's voice was pushed back a bit, Oceania (the album) would be so much better, but as it stands, I still love it a lot, more than I ever expected to.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Most modern Pumpkins would be tremendously improved if Billy's voice was behind the wall of sound.

Most. I dunno if Cyr can be saved.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I think if Billy's voice was pushed back a bit, Oceania (the album) would be so much better, but as it stands, I still love it a lot, more than I ever expected to.

Oceania is great. I wish the drums were mixed a little differently to be a little less stick-y and I dunno maybe the guitars were a little more present?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Framboise posted:

Most modern Pumpkins would be tremendously improved if Billy's voice was behind the wall of sound.

Most. I dunno if Cyr can be saved.

The thing is during Mellon Collie, his voice is really pushed back in the mix on a lot of those songs. And it helps make them sound so much more aggressive.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mellon Collie has its own mix/mastering issues, the lows and low-mids in particular are really blown out but the vocals are really well handled.

I've been working out an arrangement for Dusty and Pistol Pete and it's really a great song. Harmonically there's some fun stuff in there, and the framework you have is flexible enough that you can find grooves and his voice leading in there, even if you also want to do some stuff more faithful to the album arrangement.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I still love their modern stuff but it’s true. Just listen to Silvery Sometimes and imagine if his vocals was pushed pack just a bit more. A little more ethereal sounding would make that song amazing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I would actually like that song to have a little more dynamics. I know it's Rick Rubin and he's deathly afraid of drummers and their inscrutable "fills" but Jimmy is literally looped on that song and the only instrumental change in the chorus is that lovely and surreal guitar line (I heard that it's James playing through Jeff's pedalboard). It would be nice if Jimmy had been able to put a little more feeling into that changeover, maybe another guitar came in lower on the neck, I don't know.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a great song. That's the praise I have for Cyr.

Oceania is great tho, love that album.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I listened to a few tracks from Billy's solo albums (Spotify doesn't have the first one, whatever it's called, for whatever reason) and was shocked to hear a country-folky song on one. Definitely not the Pumpkins, for sure

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

I listened to a few tracks from Billy's solo albums (Spotify doesn't have the first one, whatever it's called, for whatever reason) and was shocked to hear a country-folky song on one. Definitely not the Pumpkins, for sure

If you're still interested:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLy1F0NPv5gpHujKP6xP6bm37IEGoc7n1

The video for the, afaik, only single, 'Walking Shade"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7HheYR-vDM

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Mellon Collie has its own mix/mastering issues, the lows and low-mids in particular are really blown out but the vocals are really well handled.

I find it really depends on the song. Some songs sound perfectly fine - like Tonight, Tonight. Like Tales From a Scorch Earth definitely has far too little high end.

X.Y.U suffers from the same issue.

That's what I love about the Pumpkins is their range. Mellon Collie has symphonic songs like Tonight, Tonight, it has 80s synth pop (this way via Gary Numan and Depeche Mode) like Love, it has soft ballads like 33, power pop crossed with alternative in 1979, straight ahead alternative with Bullet With Butterfly Wings, aggressive metal like Tales of a Scorched Earth, proggy stuff like Porcelina, and just gorgeous stuff like Galapagos.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The main thing that sticks out to me whenever I listen to Mellon Collie (and was sadly never addressed on the reissue) is how quiet Muzzle is. I love the song, I just cannot fathom why the volume is noticeably lower than the other tracks?

Baron von Eevl posted:

the only instrumental change in the chorus is that lovely and surreal guitar line (I heard that it's James playing through Jeff's pedalboard).

I know James' role in the band has been downplayed at times (I have memories of people somewhere saying he only really did Mayonaise which is obviously incredible yet it really downplays his role I think - iirc it was people trying to justify why he wasn't part of the reunion when Zeitgeist was being recorded) but I was watching a live performance of Glass and the Ghost Children (the intro to that song is one of my favorite Pumpkins moments) since James rejoined the band and the start of the song sounded like it was completely botched, and then Billy just stopped and stretched his arms out to gesture the crowd to focus on James and he played the entire intro perfectly while looking half asleep and ever since I've always wondered just how much he's added to various songs throughout the years and what's actually him. I can't even imagine a song like Daphne Descends without his eBow, for example.

Also reminds me of them playing Bullet with Butterfly Wings on Howard Stern (again after James rejoined) and Stern asked them to break down the riff and he noticed James was playing something different that complimented Billy's playing really well and James couldn't even remember why he played it like that but I'm sure there's a lot that he's simply never been credited for.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think on the record Billy played most of the parts, probably all the guitars on SD. I know there's also a story from the MCIS sessions of Billy showing James and D'arcy a song (Maybe Thru the Eyes of Ruby?) and having them go off into another room to write their own parts while he recorded something in another room. However many hours later he came back and they had nothing so he just went back into the live room and cut the rest of the guitars and bass himself. I don't know if there's any truth to that story, and honestly even if it is true I could see James and D'arcy just being so sick of his poo poo at that point that they don't bother. After MCIS James definitely found more of a role in the band doing the atmospheric or high screamy whammy stuff.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, I know SD is mostly Billy, and possibly Gish. MCIS was an attempt to get a full band sound on record, so they had two rooms going so Billy could do his things and James and Darcy could work elsewhere. It was an attempt to avoid the conflicts in SD. So you hear a lot more James on MCIS than you did before.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wondering if that weird yet incredible solo in Zero is actually James going wild? Maybe responsible for when Billy finishes the "You blame yourself for wanting more" line and right as he starts "She..." there's that crazy high pitch that comes down which I'm guessing was probably a Digitech Whammy? I really like how the riff changes and throws the listener during that crazy solo too before everything comes back together to build-up to the peak I just mentioned too. I know it's a big hit and probably one of the most well-known songs by them but I'll always love how they took this weird broken-sounding riff and made such a phenomenal song.

I wonder if the rest of the band had an initial "Why do you keep playing that stupid riff?" reaction and James got his carrot juice and decided "Yeah I can be fuckin' weird too check this out" and a hit was born.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah the riff under that solo is wild. Both solos in zero are James going nuts with the whammy pedal and are overdubbed a bunch of times. Thune first one is harmonized in a fifth partly, but the second is just nutso stuff.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Sometimes I wish for an alternate timeline where James was the lead singer instead of Billy. Sure James has his own record, but it doesn't really work for me. But The Boy, Go, and Said Sadly are all timers for me, like I'd probably put Said Sadly as a top 5 overall SP song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't blame anyone for bouncing off of Smashing Pumpkins because of Billy's weird voice but if they do they're missing out on some great music.
Same applies to Bob Dylan

Also I listened to the Fruit Bats cover of the entire Siamese Dream album last week and it was fun and weird