Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Pisces Iscariot would've made a wonderful second disc to Siamese Dream, with a minimal amount of technical cleanup/additional mixing.

It does make a solid counterpart, and has a pretty solid flow considering it was the defacto b-sides compilation for the Gish and SD material.

There's a few things in the Mellon Collie era that sort of flirt with the shoegazey wall of sound he made with Siamese Dream, but for the most part that album just sounds like a 90's love note to arena rock. I enjoy it, but Corgan definitely wasn't looking to retread any territory.

Some of the MCIS b-sides are stellar. I dig those covers he includes in the "Bullet" single, and everything on 1979 is gold. It doesn't come close to Pisces Iscariot, but what does?

"Pistachio Medley" is still a dumb idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think my favourite b-side/demo/unfinished MCIS idea still is Phang. It's basic, but I absolutely love the chord progression in the 'chorus' of it (it's instrumental). It was my favourite from Pastichio Medley and was happy to hear more of it in the re-release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mv5hXnaMQ8

Billy always had this way of taking simple riffs and turning them into something that just 'got' me. Same with the main riffs from Here's To the Atom Bomb' and 'Vanity'.

He doesn't seem to do that anymore :smith: He's still writing rock riffs, but not ones that have that emotional undertone to them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Pisces Iscariot has always been my second-favorite "album" of theirs. "Hello Kitty Kat" owns so hard.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just listened to the single and the live version they played on Fallon last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8PYdpzhTY0

It's not the most memorable song, but it's not their worst either or anything. It's good to hear (most of) the band back together, at least. They sound more like they used to and that's a good thing. Jimmy Chamberlin's drums loving rule. I wish they were more up front in the mix, though. They sound great in the live version, but it's more of a problem on the studio version. And man, Billy Corgan's vocals sound loving horrible on this live version :barf: But James Iha owns here. And here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRV1n00iga0

I largely tuned out of Pumpkins releases after Zeitgeist. I heard Oceania and Monuments to an Elegy once each probably and don't remember much about them. Never felt the urge to listen to them again.

I legitimately think Zeitgeist was pretty good, though, and I still regularly listen to a handful of tracks from it (like United States and Bring The Light).

I saw them at a festival in '07 on their Zeitgeist tour, too, which was pretty awesome:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 12, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NME Live: Billy Corgan responds to D'Arcy Wretzky's claims that he 'has a brain tumour'.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/billy...utm_content=nme

Sorry for the quick link paste, but I'm on mobile (and at work). I don't necessarily want to believe Billy, or at least didn't want to automatically believe him, I was actually fairly on D'Arcy's side previously, but unless he's just flat out lying about everything, well... That doesn't come across very well for her.

Also, I agree with what someone else said about how if he was lying, why are both James and Jimmy also going along with it?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Because from how I've been reading it, Billy isn't the one who is lying. Or at least, isn't the one trying to save face by stretching the truth. If what Billy says is true, then it was a unanimous agreement between the three of them to move on without her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
these guys are from England and who gives a poo poo. it's just a bunch of names that don't mean diddly poo poo!

is how i feel about this news

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice

hatelull posted:

The Oceania stuff was boring as hell live. There were a few tours they did around that album, and I know for one of them the set list opened with a ton of new material and was not engaging at all. Maybe I was biased by not being super familiar with the new record back then, but even now it's one I rarely return to give a spin. Zeitgeist was a tire fire for sure, but at least that one song they were going to apparently melt faces with on the joint Manson tour sounded like it was going to be cool until they blew out the PA at our venue.

Pretty sure the song was "United States"?

United States loving crushes live. I mean Jimmy is a goddamn animal on the drums, but this also checks a bunch of other good boxes for me (long, loud, big fuzzy guitars, guitar break in the middle that is mostly feedback).

I said this in some other version of this thread but I saw them on the tour for Zeitgeist and they played a loving 25 minute (not an exaggeration) cover of Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun and it was so, so, so bad and boring. Why not a 25 minute Silverfuck instead?

This is a tough band to stick with through the years.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

DirtyCheeseburgers posted:

United States loving crushes live. I mean Jimmy is a goddamn animal on the drums, but this also checks a bunch of other good boxes for me (long, loud, big fuzzy guitars, guitar break in the middle that is mostly feedback).

I said this in some other version of this thread but I saw them on the tour for Zeitgeist and they played a loving 25 minute (not an exaggeration) cover of Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun and it was so, so, so bad and boring. Why not a 25 minute Silverfuck instead?

This is a tough band to stick with through the years.

I saw them on one of the MCIS shows (post-Melvoin so Chamberlain was out at the time) and they did a mega version of "The Aeroplane looks left ..". That was pretty epic. I'd kill for a barnburner epic "Silverfuck" that they sort of play at on Viewphoria. Looks like they're doing "Stairway to Heaven" on this tour? At least that has some dynamic to it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
United States and Superchrist are both extremely good. Billy needs to jam out more instead of trying to poo poo out the next two minute rock single

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just love that Billy is the kind of guy who thinks naming things "Superchrist" is a good idea :allears:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Current SP are literally worse than current Weezer.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3RO0UMsBss

it's sort of a wash

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Wow lovely pile of references song writing. Did Rivers decide to add Train to his pile of hyper deconstructed and worshipped bands?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh my word. that's. that's real bad. i don't think Billy could make a song that bad if he tried.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do3tSdZucyA

well

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i seriously can't stop laughing at this

billy looks like late 80s genesis p-orridge and i'm not sure it isn't intentional

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I think he's just embracing the fact that he's weird as hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that's the intent, but to me it seems more like classic "I'm trying super hard to be weird" Billy (basically Mellon Collie/Adore era)

But it's charming, part of the band's appeal has always been his whole "I'm TRYING to be a ROCK STAR here, MOM!!!!"

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Solara's growing on me as a song at any rate. I like it more than any other recent thing they've put out, but the presence of Billy, James, and Jimmy in the same room making room together is probably the reason for it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I genuinely like Solara. And I really liked the video. It was a good combination of "Pumpkins quirkiness" and self awareness. Like they know they're lame when they try and be edgy, so they're embracing it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It is definitely growing on me too. It's a legit good tune.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Is Billy trying really hard to look like Nosferatu or something? He did that for the Ava Adore video too and he just looks silly.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Matsuri posted:

I think he's just embracing the fact that he's weird as hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Billy "the Silly" Corgan

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

that looks like a parody video someone in 2005 would make about the 90s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Is Billy trying really hard to look like Nosferatu or something? He did that for the Ava Adore video too and he just looks silly.

His creepy on purpose shtick worked a lot better before he gained weight.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
This is the most laughable rock video I've seen outside of "Tonga" Le Tongue.

If you want to see the best example of a lovely rockstar aging gracelessly watch and listen to Solara. It's like Cartman grew up and formed a rock band, then aged terribly and is starring in David Brent: Life on the Road. I have to ask, do fans of the Smashing Pumpkins feel embarrassed for Billy Corgan? Do you feel Fremdschamen, or are embarrassed by your own fandom? The man's always been a trashfire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Billy Corgan has always been adorably embarrassing and doofy. I mean, that's the good side of him. Better that than him being the rear end in a top hat who won't let half his band play on the record.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

precision posted:

Billy Corgan has always been adorably embarrassing and doofy. I mean, that's the good side of him. Better that than him being the rear end in a top hat who won't let half his band play on the record.

It's true. Billy being a complete loving dork and melodramatic is Billy at his best. Way better than the conspiracy nutjob, trans hating Billy.

I both admire and detest Billy. It's impressive.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

His creepy on purpose shtick worked a lot better before he gained weight.

This is all I see when I look at him now

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There's been some videos taken of some of the shows now that the tour's started. The stage looks great and the music is spot on. 3 hours long with an overall great setlist.

And ticket prices have dropped. The seat I was planning to buy for $99+fees is now $69+fees, and I can get a loving 6th row seat for $135. gently caress, man.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Some of the platinum seats were reduced to regular price so I upgraded to 2nd row in Toronto

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Oops. Slept on it too long. Didn't get the seat. :negative:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The Boston show was so undersold I got crazy good tickets on stubhub for $35.
They sounded great and played for over 3 goddamn hours. And I didn't have to give Billy any money!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to get tickets outside of using Ticketmaster? Their additional fees are loving criminal.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Matsuri posted:

Is there a way to get tickets outside of using Ticketmaster? Their additional fees are loving criminal.

You could always go to the venue's box office.

Or go with Stubhub - it's still got fees, but I was able to grab lower bowl seats to the Tampa sho day-of for like $40 after service charges and everything.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Soooooo yeah.

That show was really fuckin' good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New single coming out Sept 13, new album, that apparently will be like Pisces (:aaaaa:) coming sometime afterward. Album features Jimmy and James, all together for the first time since Machina!

https://www.alternativenation.net/smashing-pumpkins-make-big-new-album-announcement-return-1994/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m seeing them on the 8th, which I would hope they did would maybe play the new single. Looking at it at the set list of other shows they have a pretty rigid list that they’re not straying from.

I’m still incredibly excited though because it will be my first time seeing Jimmy and James in the band live. I only saw them on the Oceania tour and they were really good, so especially with Jimmy back I’m incredibly excited for next weekend.