Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I will have to listen to Zeitgeist again someday. As it was, it was the only album I struggled to get through and didn't really enjoy in some way at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Framboise posted:

I will have to listen to Zeitgeist again someday. As it was, it was the only album I struggled to get through and didn't really enjoy in some way at all.
IMO it has a lot of energy on it that this album doesn't have aside from Marchin' On.

The rest of the tracks are pretty forgettable. I feel like Marchin' On is the only song I'll be talking about from this album years from now.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Zeitgeist has its moments, but it gets real samey real fast. There are no acoustic songs, almost every track is in the same key (maybe all of them?), the sound of things like the drums and vocals are very uh... "idiosyncratic" and honestly the songwriting just isn't there most of the time.

For what it's worth, I prefer the roomy, distorted drum sound to the overly compressed clicky drums on Shiny, and a lot of the songs on this one have drums that might as well be loops. I think Travels has one ride hit near the end where Jimmy kind of hit the bell but otherwise it could just be a loop. I think Ghosts is literally Jimmy looped. I mean I know Rick doesn't know how to handle heavy rock bands (and active drummers especially) but c'mon, you're better than this Jimmy.

edit: anyone remember when the booklet art for Zeitgeist leaked and everyone was so mortified they assumed it had to be fake?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1064740652636884993

:shepicide:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Zeitgeist has its moments, but it gets real samey real fast. There are no acoustic songs, almost every track is in the same key (maybe all of them?), the sound of things like the drums and vocals are very uh... "idiosyncratic" and honestly the songwriting just isn't there most of the time.

For what it's worth, I prefer the roomy, distorted drum sound to the overly compressed clicky drums on Shiny, and a lot of the songs on this one have drums that might as well be loops. I think Travels has one ride hit near the end where Jimmy kind of hit the bell but otherwise it could just be a loop. I think Ghosts is literally Jimmy looped. I mean I know Rick doesn't know how to handle heavy rock bands (and active drummers especially) but c'mon, you're better than this Jimmy.

edit: anyone remember when the booklet art for Zeitgeist leaked and everyone was so mortified they assumed it had to be fake?

I'm torn exactly in half about the drums for Oceania. Mike did a fantastic job, but my god, there are just no dynamics. :negative:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it's a shame. Otherwise Oceania sounds really good. It's really the best post-2000 album the band did (maybe American Gothic if you're gonna count that).

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Billy Corgan posted:

“It would be probably lean more acoustic. I would think it’s a bit weird [to make] a wild Christmas records,” Corgan continued. “Although, I also like ‘Jingle Bell Rock’, which is basically 1950s rockabilly. But I don’t know. When I think Christmas music, I tend to think something you want to put on and sit around the tree with the kids and not rock out to. I don’t see us doing a rocking-out Christmas album.”

I love how every time Billy gets in front of cameras he appears semi-normal - self-aware and insightful, even - but as soon as they shut down he goes back to being a complete madman

olives black fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 20, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Low is the only band to have ever done a good Christmas album. And it's phenomenal. That Spacemen 3 tinged "Little Drummer Boy" is so good

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This album made me go back and give Zeitgeist another chance.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Astrochicken posted:

This album made me go back and give Zeitgeist another chance.
It rules, right?!

Like, give me this over the majority of the new album any day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p24om3pVaNE

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I'm all for Billy singing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHwhKwJypE4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If anyone remembers the Awful Xmas Music album from 2012, my main claim to fame was calling the 4-disc opus Merry Christmas and the Infinite Santa.

Billy, you can have that one, you're more than welcome to it!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So I have listened to Shiny several times now. My verdict is that it's loving good. Alienation is the weakest track but even that's okay.

Kicks the crap out of Monuments and on par at least with Oceania (I loved Oceania) and better than Zeitgeist. It's a good album.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

So I have listened to Shiny several times now. My verdict is that it's loving good. Alienation is the weakest track but even that's okay.

Kicks the crap out of Monuments and on par at least with Oceania (I loved Oceania) and better than Zeitgeist. It's a good album.

Agreed. Naysayers be damned, Shiny still manages to be good even if it's clearly rushed and Rubin got his filthy hands on it. We can say it could be better, but that it's still good despite all that tells me the quality is there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's 8 songs that range from "eh, it's okay enough" (Alienation) to "alright, this is pretty great" (Silvery Sometimes). I kind of wish that there was any cohesion between the songs, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Billy was huffing David Bowie's farts on Alienation. The vocal delivery is very theatrical in the way Bowie would occasionally do. "Theatrical" does not suit Billy.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

I got this at their show and can't wait to hang it on my wall. I mean the original photo.

Anyways pumpkins are good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.alternativenation.net/billy-corgan-front-nine-inch-nails-janes-addiction-supergroup/

Unf. The only supergroup for me. Love Jane's, love NIN, obviously love the Pumpkins.

Hearing Billy sing Mountain Song is pretty neat and weird. I like it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Calling josh freese a nin drummer is a stretch. Might as well call him an Avril Lavigne drummer while we’re at it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

polyester concept posted:

Calling josh freese a nin drummer is a stretch. Might as well call him an Avril Lavigne drummer while we’re at it

Fair enough; it'd be awesome to have had Chris Vrenna, Danny Lohner, Robin Finck, or Charlie Clouser in this.

I kind of assume Trent wouldn't be up for it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah I wasn't calling you out, more so it;s the article headline that's clickbait.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah I wasn't calling you out, more so it;s the article headline that's clickbait.

All good! I hadn't even been keeping up with more recent NIN members, and didn't know much about Freese.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

He was the NIN touring drummer in 2007-2010 and did some work on their albums during that time. I don't know if it's correct to call him a studio musician, because he does a lot of solo stuff too, but he does take a lot of studio gigs. He has drummed on several studio albums for:

Devo
Guns N Roses
A Perfect Circle
Rob Zombie
Avril Lavigne
The Offspring
Kelly Clarkson
Evanescence
Ween
Clay Aiken
Static-X
Sting
Queens of the Stone Age
Miley Cyrus
Katy Perry
Selena Gomez
Weezer
Bruce Springsteen

and dozens, dozens more.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think he's straight up Devo's official drummer, as much as that can be defined for a band that doesn't really record or play shows anymore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just wanted to post and say that Vanity might be one of my favourite later era Pumpkins tracks. I wish this had been on Machina 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGG3lVztXBg

Looking forward to that reissue, whenever it happens.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Would you cut a Machina track and replace it with "Vanity" or would you just slip it in somewhere? It's been a hot minute since I listened to that record. I remember digging the Machina II version of "Try, Try, Try" more when I heard it but that's probably because I loved the fact that Corgan named dropped my city. Still, I could probably do without "The Sacred and Profane" or "The Crying Tree of Mercury."

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

Would you cut a Machina track and replace it with "Vanity" or would you just slip it in somewhere? It's been a hot minute since I listened to that record. I remember digging the Machina II version of "Try, Try, Try" more when I heard it but that's probably because I loved the fact that Corgan named dropped my city. Still, I could probably do without "The Sacred and Profane" or "The Crying Tree of Mercury."

I like the lyrics of the Machina II version of Try, Try, Try, but the constant WEE-oo-WEE-oooooooo in the background is kind of grating. I know that Machina II wasn't polished/completed but ugh.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hatelull posted:

The cd we got is like a few seconds shy of 80 minutes, so there really isn't room to just add another song. Personally I'd end the album after Wound and let the last 4 tracks be their own separate EP. I kind of love the lofi sound for machina 2, I have trouble imagining Real Love or Slow Down in a higher quality.

Framboise posted:

I like the lyrics of the Machina II version of Try, Try, Try, but the constant WEE-oo-WEE-oooooooo in the background is kind of grating. I know that Machina II wasn't polished/completed but ugh.

It's that or pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop...

I like the album version better

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I must be one of the few Pumpkins fans who doesn't like Try, Try, Try, even a little bit :smith: so I guess that answers the question of what Vanity would replace.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Bump, because they are touring the USA with Noel Gallagher this summer. Lmao.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean who gives a gently caress about Gallagher 2 but if they're playing smaller venues I'll be there, especially if they mix up the setlists instead of playing the exact same show every night to a click track.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
One of the dates leaked is at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland (17K capacity amphitheater), so I bet all the dates will be at similar sized venues.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I wonder what the set list will be like. I feel like the Shiny and Bright sets were his Sound + Vision and moving forward (or however long that dude keeps this thing going) it's going to be a set lists of jammy later material mixed in with a few old school nuggets for the fans.

This is making me regret missing that nostalgia tour big time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pumpkins opening for Noel Gallagher is like the ending of the setup joke that was "the pixies opening for weezer"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just found this thread. It is relevant to my interests.
I saw Smashing Pumpkins during the Machina tour way back in 2000. It was babby's first rock and roll show, and it was fantastic. My all time favorite band.

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins again in 2010. Well, Billy Corgan + his staff, I guess. Half the setlist was new stuff that I didn't know or like. He even threw a little tantrum during the encore when someone asked for Zero. He said "I've played that song ten thousand loving times and I don't want to". Then had a little discussion with the band, rolled his eyes, and started playing it. Then he left the stage. Show's over, I guess. :jerkbag: We later learned that he hated playing old songs because they reminded him of his bad relationship with James. Suffice it to say, it wasn't the best show I've ever seen.

When I heard about the tour last year, I wanted to go. I heard that the setlist was going to dig deep into the back catalog, and that James would be playing. Neat!
I also knew that I wanted to hit an early tour date, to give him less of a chance to get grumpy and start doing something weird like playing Kiss covers and 25 minute instrumental jams.
Setlist was rad:

quote:

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Disarm
Rocket
Siva
Rhinoceros
Space Oddity (David Bowie cover)
Drown
Zero
The Everlasting Gaze
Stand Inside Your Love
Thirty-Three
Eye
Soma
Blew Away (first since 2000)
For Martha
To Sheila
Mayonaise
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Tonight, Tonight
Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin cover)
Cherub Rock
Ava Adore
Try, Try, Try
The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning
Hummer
Today
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Muzzle

Encore:
Solara
Baby Mine (Betty Noyes cover, the song from Dumbo)

As you can see, some excellent jams there, including Muzzle and Drown. Besides the surprise cover songs (Bowie and Zeppelin ones were cool, Baby Mine was weird), it would make a pretty good mixtape.

The venue was a huge hockey stadium, and it was barely 1/3rds full. It was kinda sad. It was a great show, no regrets. My fanhood of the Smashing Pumpkins has been ups and downs. I liked Zwan a lot. I essentially lost interest entirely after Billy's solo album, and never got it back.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I saw Smashing Pumpkins during the Machina tour way back in 2000. It was babby's first rock and roll show, and it was fantastic. My all time favorite band.

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins again in 2010. Well, Billy Corgan + his staff, I guess. Half the setlist was new stuff that I didn't know or like. He even threw a little tantrum during the encore when someone asked for Zero. He said "I've played that song ten thousand loving times and I don't want to". Then had a little discussion with the band, rolled his eyes, and started playing it. Then he left the stage. Show's over, I guess. :jerkbag: We later learned that he hated playing old songs because they reminded him of his bad relationship with James. Suffice it to say, it wasn't the best show I've ever seen.

When I heard about the tour last year, I wanted to go. I heard that the setlist was going to dig deep into the back catalog, and that James would be playing. Neat!
I also knew that I wanted to hit an early tour date, to give him less of a chance to get grumpy and start doing something weird like playing Kiss covers and 25 minute instrumental jams.
Setlist was rad:

As you can see, some excellent jams there, including Muzzle and Drown. Besides the surprise cover songs (Bowie and Zeppelin ones were cool, Baby Mine was weird), it would make a pretty good mixtape.

The venue was a huge hockey stadium, and it was barely 1/3rds full. It was kinda sad. It was a great show, no regrets. My fanhood of the Smashing Pumpkins has been ups and downs. I liked Zwan a lot. I essentially lost interest entirely after Billy's solo album, and never got it back.

I enjoyed this post, as a longtime SP fan. That being said, you might like Aeronaut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdZXNET88A

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

canyoneer posted:

Setlist was rad:

I saw them in 2007 on the Zeitgeist tour so it was only a few years before your 2010 debacle. It was a great show, Billy seemed invested in it, and other than the Zeitgeist stuff it was a great setlist:

United States
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Drown
Bring the Light
Stand Inside Your Love
Tonight, Tonight
Tarantula
Home
Hummer
Starla
Perfect
Set the Ray to Jerry
Today
That's the Way (My Love Is)
Superchrist
Doomsday Clock
Heavy Metal Machine
> On the Road Again [Canned Heat]
> I Love Rock 'n' Roll [Arrows]

Encore 1:
Ava Adore
Zero

Encore 2:
Pomp and Circumstances
Cherub Rock

Lookit that! Drown and Starla! Home! Set the Ray! Even Superchrist was kind of fun! Honestly United States was a weird opener but it kind of worked? This big dark barnburner going into Bullet was pretty cool.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah the zeitgeist tour wasn’t bad.

Wanna feel old? The pumpkins have been “reunited” now longer than the original lineup pre breakup

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 5, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah the zeitgeist tour wasn’t bad.

Wanna feel old? The pumpkins have been “reunited” now longer than the original lineup pre breakup

Yeah, it's been... almost 19 goddamned years since the 2000 show, and they were together for... What, 11, 12 years?

Holy poo poo :negative: :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah Jeff has been playing in the band longer than James.