Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
All the singles are good, but there are some weird issues with all of them.
Solara's mix is still kinda wonky, the drums have way too much stick attack so everything just sounds like a click. I'm not sure if it's a recording issue or a micing thing or something with compression or triggers or what. I will say that the album mix from the preorder sounds wayyyy better than the mix on the youtube videos.
Silvery Sometimes is a good song and is catchy as poo poo, but I'm a little sad Jimmy's just playing a loop with no variation or fills.
Knights of Malta is very very good except for the "whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa" during the intro and chorus. This is the first song on the album, the very first thing anyone's going to be hearing is that idiotic whoa whoa.

olives black posted:

holy lol

Billy was the only person on stage taking this seriously

Pretty much, I remember some live clip from that era (maybe Cash Car Star on Leno?) where Billy says something to James and he just rolls his eyes and deadpans "oh I am just here to rock." :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really think they realized that the mix sucked after the first release, unless it was youtube's compression algorithms loving everything up. I'm serious, the version that I downloaded with a preorder is just slightly tweaked but it sounds so much better.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm pretty sure the completed Glass webtoons are floating around out there and yes they are bad. They are exactly as bad as you'd expect a self-serious Smashing Pumpkins anime to be.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hatelull posted:

Wow. Were those Machina II LPs a REAL thing at one point, or was he just holding up a prop for the intro?

Yeah, that's the only official version that ever existed outside of Real Love that appeared in Rotten Apples. They made 25 copies total of the LP and EPs and sent them to superfans with instructions to rip the vinyl and get it out there.

edit: the art was packing tape with those icons printed on it wrapped around pain black and white sleeves

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

syntaxfunction posted:

If you haven't listened to Machina or Machina II (especially II) definitely do it. Heavy stuff but some super pretty songs. Out of all the reissues I've been most excited for the Machina double album because goddamn it that's what it should have been in the first place. It's not MCIS but it's a phenomenal album and was unfairly neutered.

God knows how long we're going to have to wait for it, but I'd honestly even take a real solid remaster of the original Machina album. It's got some great stuff on there and the band's totally knocking it out of the park but the mix has some issues and the master is just dreadful. All the problems with the original master of MCIS but way way worse, like the low frequencies are just smashed and completely blown out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The mix is overall fine, if a little idiosyncratic (the guitars are generally mixed very loud, but that's a style choice). It's the mastering that's kind of hosed up, with the low frequencies really blown out. I think they wanted it to sound loud at any volume like the Zwan album, but they accomplished that by redlining the bass frequencies instead of over compressing the whole thing like with MSotS.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm convinced some of the songs (xyu, jellybelly, probably gently caress you, where boys, etc) sound the way they do because they were recorded with the whole band playing live in the room so there's a lot less control over how things like the guitars sound. I know jellybelly has a ridiculous number of overdubs so that's going to cover up a lot of that. Zero is a song on the other hand where every element was really meticulously designed, especially the guitars. There are several 12 string acoustic guitars run directly into the board and distorted with the board's preamp, and some of the guitars were run through a synthesizer for a kind of wave washing over you filter.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I didn't want to call that out but :same:

The only problem with that song is that the hi hats sounded kind of grating, and I think the rerelease fixed that mostly.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd probably swap out Cupid De Locke for StRtJ, maybe Lily or We Only Come Out At Night for Medellia or the barbershop version of Jupiter's Lament? Cherry would probably fit in well on the second disk somewhere.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Zeitgeist has Neverlost which might just qualify as the band's most underrated song.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Amazon's preorder is still not downloading, loving awesome. So glad I preordered this instead of just buying and downloading it this morning.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm hoping it shows up, even briefly, on youtube (without a subscription) because that's not blocked at work, whereas music streaming sites are :negative:

It is, official uploads even. They're not in a playlist officially, but people have created ones.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm really digging the back half (Amazon support finally got it working), but I think alienation is too much for me. I think if they took it gothier like "isolation" it might work better? I dig the pads in the beginning though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Alienation reminds me of Toto. Marchin' On whips. I think overall these songs remind me a lot of Machina 2.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Zeitgeist has its moments, but it gets real samey real fast. There are no acoustic songs, almost every track is in the same key (maybe all of them?), the sound of things like the drums and vocals are very uh... "idiosyncratic" and honestly the songwriting just isn't there most of the time.

For what it's worth, I prefer the roomy, distorted drum sound to the overly compressed clicky drums on Shiny, and a lot of the songs on this one have drums that might as well be loops. I think Travels has one ride hit near the end where Jimmy kind of hit the bell but otherwise it could just be a loop. I think Ghosts is literally Jimmy looped. I mean I know Rick doesn't know how to handle heavy rock bands (and active drummers especially) but c'mon, you're better than this Jimmy.

edit: anyone remember when the booklet art for Zeitgeist leaked and everyone was so mortified they assumed it had to be fake?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it's a shame. Otherwise Oceania sounds really good. It's really the best post-2000 album the band did (maybe American Gothic if you're gonna count that).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's 8 songs that range from "eh, it's okay enough" (Alienation) to "alright, this is pretty great" (Silvery Sometimes). I kind of wish that there was any cohesion between the songs, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Billy was huffing David Bowie's farts on Alienation. The vocal delivery is very theatrical in the way Bowie would occasionally do. "Theatrical" does not suit Billy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think he's straight up Devo's official drummer, as much as that can be defined for a band that doesn't really record or play shows anymore.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hatelull posted:

Would you cut a Machina track and replace it with "Vanity" or would you just slip it in somewhere? It's been a hot minute since I listened to that record. I remember digging the Machina II version of "Try, Try, Try" more when I heard it but that's probably because I loved the fact that Corgan named dropped my city. Still, I could probably do without "The Sacred and Profane" or "The Crying Tree of Mercury."

The cd we got is like a few seconds shy of 80 minutes, so there really isn't room to just add another song. Personally I'd end the album after Wound and let the last 4 tracks be their own separate EP. I kind of love the lofi sound for machina 2, I have trouble imagining Real Love or Slow Down in a higher quality.

Framboise posted:

I like the lyrics of the Machina II version of Try, Try, Try, but the constant WEE-oo-WEE-oooooooo in the background is kind of grating. I know that Machina II wasn't polished/completed but ugh.

It's that or pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop...

I like the album version better

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean who gives a gently caress about Gallagher 2 but if they're playing smaller venues I'll be there, especially if they mix up the setlists instead of playing the exact same show every night to a click track.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

canyoneer posted:

Just found this thread. It is relevant to my interests.
I saw Smashing Pumpkins during the Machina tour way back in 2000. It was babby's first rock and roll show, and it was fantastic. My all time favorite band.

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins again in 2010. Well, Billy Corgan + his staff, I guess. Half the setlist was new stuff that I didn't know or like. He even threw a little tantrum during the encore when someone asked for Zero. He said "I've played that song ten thousand loving times and I don't want to". Then had a little discussion with the band, rolled his eyes, and started playing it. Then he left the stage. Show's over, I guess. :jerkbag: We later learned that he hated playing old songs because they reminded him of his bad relationship with James. Suffice it to say, it wasn't the best show I've ever seen.

When I heard about the tour last year, I wanted to go. I heard that the setlist was going to dig deep into the back catalog, and that James would be playing. Neat!
I also knew that I wanted to hit an early tour date, to give him less of a chance to get grumpy and start doing something weird like playing Kiss covers and 25 minute instrumental jams.
Setlist was rad:

As you can see, some excellent jams there, including Muzzle and Drown. Besides the surprise cover songs (Bowie and Zeppelin ones were cool, Baby Mine was weird), it would make a pretty good mixtape.

The venue was a huge hockey stadium, and it was barely 1/3rds full. It was kinda sad. It was a great show, no regrets. My fanhood of the Smashing Pumpkins has been ups and downs. I liked Zwan a lot. I essentially lost interest entirely after Billy's solo album, and never got it back.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

I saw them in 2007 on the Zeitgeist tour so it was only a few years before your 2010 debacle. It was a great show, Billy seemed invested in it, and other than the Zeitgeist stuff it was a great setlist:

United States
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Drown
Bring the Light
Stand Inside Your Love
Tonight, Tonight
Tarantula
Home
Hummer
Starla
Perfect
Set the Ray to Jerry
Today
That's the Way (My Love Is)
Superchrist
Doomsday Clock
Heavy Metal Machine
> On the Road Again [Canned Heat]
> I Love Rock 'n' Roll [Arrows]

Encore 1:
Ava Adore
Zero

Encore 2:
Pomp and Circumstances
Cherub Rock

Lookit that! Drown and Starla! Home! Set the Ray! Even Superchrist was kind of fun! Honestly United States was a weird opener but it kind of worked? This big dark barnburner going into Bullet was pretty cool.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah Jeff has been playing in the band longer than James.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When were Jeff's first shows with the band, 2006? It's been 13 years continuously. James' first run was what, 89-00? I guess it depends when you say James "came back" but Jeff's run has certainly been longer than James' initial run.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, a bad mix isn't going to get fixed in the mastering phase. That said I kind of like Oceania? Biggest issue is probably with the drums like you said. They did something where you can hear tons of stick attack on everything, it's like a constant barrage of clicks. I don't know if it's a micing thing like small diaphragm condensers were right on the heads or they used triggers and mixed that in, or if it was like a trick with the compressors or what, but there's a bit of that on the new album too (gently caress you I'm not looking up the title).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
BSBT is apparently on the new tour's setlist, otherwise it looks fairly similar to what they were playing in Europe a few months back. Honestly I think I like what they've been doing with Knights of Malta, at least versus the album version.

The interesting thing to me is that Tiberius and Superchrist are on there. I don't really like either song but it means James is starting to be okay with post-Machina songs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

My Twitter Account posted:

There’s a lot of stuff on the back burner to new content. The Machina resequence/remaster/reissue was supposed to be out by Christmas 2015, followed by a boxed set of remastered 1988/89 demos.

Billy was working on the Machina remaster again like 6 months ago, going so far as to spend a couple weeks posting about it, hunting down old masters and getting Jimmy to record drums for White Spider. Rumor is they're aiming to get it out for the 20th anniversary on Feb 29, 2020.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Space Cadet posted:

So Billy is heading out on a solo tour next month, limited dates and locations but apparently he is pulling songs from his whole catalogue. In one show you could get a smattering of tracks from the following: The Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan, The Future Embrace, Smashing pumpkins, and his WPC album. I'll give him credit, it has the potential to be a super weird show depending on the tracks he pulls out.

Last time he did one of these it was an acoustic set and I don't think there was any TFE material in there, and the only Zwan song was I believe Heartsong.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Drive-by posting to this thread that I unironically and wholeheartedly believe that “Mayonnaise” is the greatest song in the history of music and it is unlikely that any artist will ever conceive of something 10% as brilliant.

You're not wrong, but I'm sure if said this to Billy he'd say something like "That is a highly offensive thing to say, but thank you."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I think there are full studio versions of at least most of the songs out there that Billy leaked as the original Friends and Enemies of Modern Music mixtape, I know I used to have Dross and Crash Car Star from that. I think the other version of Here's To The Atom Bomb is from that too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Iirc Real Love was supposed to sound like a shoegaze song, so that's probably part of it.

also Slow Dawn is the darkhorse best machina 2 song.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Was that the video hits collection dvd? God, I need to dig that thing out, I think the version of gently caress You on there's still the only official release from the Metro show.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hatelull posted:

I've heard stories that Iha and Billy were not super cool with each other at that Metro show. Billy was in tears when the set ended and aped for the crowd. James unplugged and got the gently caress out.

Oh yeah, you can literally see James rolling his eyes during billy's mid-song rambling in that video.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm just hopeful since it doesn't say Rick Rubin is producing so it might actually sound good. Oceania sounded really good! It's possible!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cemetry Gator posted:

Where's Billy Corgan's A Capella? Enough of this poo poo with guitars and stuff. I want all Corgan vocals, all the time!

I think Zwan did an a cappella song live, and there's always somewhere over the rainbow from silverfuck back in the Siamese dream era.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Supposedly Muzzle was planned to be the fifth single, but then Jimmy and Jonathan Melvoin overdosing happened and they wanted to go with a song that had less prominent drums.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It looks like a theater tour too, shame they're only coming through here on the summer arena tour with loving Guns N Roses.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've been afraid to watch any of the videos he's been posting of him talking because honestly the man's got some loving awful beliefs and his shithead opinion on whatever's going on in the world right now is like the last thing I want to hear. Hearing Krist Novoselic praise Trump's speech about shooting protesters already has me bummed out enough.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Purportedly Krist is just a hardcore libertarian now and doesn't "like" Trump but was just "commenting" on the "quality" of the "delivery." Being really really rich for 28 years will really gently caress you up.

I think he also went on some thing about how liberals and lefties are hypocrites because if gun-toting militias came around and started burning poo poo they'd be asking the cops to help and like, yeah, we want cops to help people and not just shoot rubber bullets and people walking down a street you dingus.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Apparently Kurt was a huge supporter of trans rights way back when, and it's assumed (with a fair bit of evidence) that he'd be an awesome ally today.

Hope that helps make things seem less lovely.

I think Jimmy Chamberlain is on the level as well, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder with Kurt how he would have identified if he had been born 40 years later.

I'm not sure Jimmy's ever really made any political statements at all, but his instagram is profoundly wholesome. He doesn't seem to want to start poo poo with absolutely anyone and mostly just posts pictures of pretty snow and his cats and poo poo. I think the most controversial thing I've ever seen him say was commenting that Billy played bass on I Am One and D'arcy stans getting huffy about it.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 9, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's still probably my favorite early SP Billy story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm glad this highlights the Matt Walker reimagining/remix of cash car star because it's a helpful reminder that his version of the song is loving awful.